MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

37 minutes ago, Pall said:

Heard MH bosses told their pilot/staff you'll are free to leave if not happy with TnC. Sounds like old habits die hard in that company.

Used to remember their pilot shortage fiasco in 2018 forcing a lot of flight cancellations. It's only a matter of time before history repeats itself.

Yes, same bullshit attitude, you x suka, u blh belah. True enough, they all belah, or have blh. The newbies are causing some damages to B737NG fleet, require grounding. HR's age old response: "Can always hire new people, who cares experienced ones leave. Good riddance!"

If all those 180+ do leave, we will see an impact in three to four months. Good luck MAG!

13 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Grapevine: MAG facing pressure to retain current employees, close to 180 co-pilots are planning/ hinting to resign. MAG lost close to 200 pilots for the past three years. AirAsia Malaysia AirAsia X the same amount as well. While a lot of airlines, even AK/D7 are upping their allowances, multiple rating allowance and other benefits, MH seems to be static.

Yoska De Jong, MH's sort of celebrity pilot icon has left MH a few days ago, joining EK soon. Behind the scene, there are considerable amount of cabin crew also leaving to CX as they concluded recent of recruitment in KL.

I believe many airlines are now facing pressure with talent recruitment. CX has thrown out sign-on bonus of HKD12,500 for new joiner, of course with terms and conditions. A lot of expat pilots also left EK, returning to the US or their home country. With close to 14,800 new aircraft order in backlog, budget airlines and smaller national carrier from lower SES countries will definitely face immense pressure to hold onto their current employees. Those airline HR dept would need to be innovate and creative if they don't want to lose out to their competitors. That being said, I highly doubt MAG HR give two shits.

I think HR practitioners in Malaysia are distinctively second rate and very inefficient. They probably only practice less than 25% in what they learnt in their training! 

MAG is deficient in all areas, from top to bottom. That is why it always takes so long to make any improvements, significant or not. They are like a supertanker, everything moves in slow motion. In boom times, like now, they get away with it because there are still enough customers. However, when there is a downturn, they will be the first to bring their begging bowls to Khazanah.

Employees have also grown smarter - they know their bosses are still highly paid, no matter what. So if they don't get the rewards they want, they can go elsewhere. They are not going to sacrifice anything for their bosses these days.

Most of the issues is not related to wages but the scheduling itself. Everyone knows its not financially feasible to go neck to neck for gulf level pay but scheduling itself is something that can actually be remitted but is constantly ignored. Other airlines are only giving tech crew about maybe 1-2 days worth of standby's some even with allowance. Over at MAG you can have up to one guy having 10-12 days standby in 1 calendar month without any allowance. Worse cant go anywhere on standby except waiting at the closest mamak/kopitiam store for callup.

Some of the rumors on why management is not keen on stabilizing scheduling is just due to the fact board is asking for everyone to be in participation mode(so called reported for work even though NOT REQUIRED). But the global aviation industry has already mandated you cannot lock tech crew, engineers as the same as office people where everyone has a punchcard hours and KPI. 

Then with the issue of salary itself our neighboring Asean have all gone up adjusting the payscale post pandemic to match or try to peg it with USD to counter the bleeding of crew towards the giants. Malaysia on the other hand as a whole is going the towards the other direction and i am sure it will result in continuous pressure on safety and service quality towards customers.

Technically Malaysia as a whole has a problem with all this chinamen like companies and taukehs that has also been passed on to the private sectors and now GLCs in many related industries. With the country still focusing on low wage labor, manufacturing downline and limited exposure and interest to STEM R&D based subjects plus a GOV who has no proper revenue stream, it wont bold well long term.

46 minutes ago, jahur said:

Technically Malaysia as a whole has a problem with all this chinamen like companies and taukehs that has also been passed on to the private sectors and now GLCs in many related industries. With the country still focusing on low wage labor, manufacturing downline and limited exposure and interest to STEM R&D based subjects plus a GOV who has no proper revenue stream, it wont bold well long term.

If automation could replace labour in manufacturing, MNC need not set up shops in the 3rd world countries. By moving up the value chain, service industry will still need cheap labours. Cheap labour cost is the key to keep inflation rate low and living cost affordable. That's why US, UK, EU, ME, sg, etc have many migrant workers.

As a employer, I find most locals are complacent with their works and pay, unwilling to learn new skill or responsibility; it forced us to employ foreign professional. 

On 3/25/2024 at 11:09 AM, JuliusWong said:

This would mean some A330-300ceo will be leaving the fleet, I believe five A330-300ceo will leave. 10 will be retained to service other heavy trunk regional routes: MNL, DPS, BKK and domestic trunk routes during the school holiday. Also as back up aircraft due to supply chain issue at both Airbus and Boeing, they need to keep older planes to avoid any service disruption. BUT, A330-300 will not be receiving upgrade if you read the recent new releases. They kind of expect no one would spot it. Haha!

With 20 A330-900s coming, and hunch is telling me they will add another 10 more, 30 in total. A330-200 will eventually leave the fleet. Perhaps going to AMAL by Malaysia Airlines to do Haj and Umrah flight. Currently AMAL does not have permanent fleet.

Captain Izham has stated recently they will have 50 narrowbody and 50 long haul by end of the decade. Final tally should be around this:

• A330-300 = 10
  • A330-900 = 30
  • A350-900 = 10

Replace A330 ceo with A330 neo is like replace DC-10-30 with MD-11. Like MD-11, A330 neo may retire earlier than planned.

11 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Replace A330 ceo with A330 neo is like replace DC-10-30 with MD-11. Like MD-11, A330 neo may retire earlier than planned.

The A330neo is OK and it retains the 2-4-2 economy class seating that many pax like. Airlines like Delta, Virgin Atlantic and TAP seems to like this aircraft a lot. It may be less common in Asia as most of them have opted for A350 and B787 for their new wide bodies. Perhaps MAG chose it on cost grounds - delivery slots are also not as rare as that for the A350/B787. Early retirement is not a major issue because MAG is leasing all its aircraft to be "asset light".

4 hours ago, flee said:

The A330neo is OK and it retains the 2-4-2 economy class seating that many pax like. Airlines like Delta, Virgin Atlantic and TAP seems to like this aircraft a lot. It may be less common in Asia as most of them have opted for A350 and B787 for their new wide bodies. Perhaps MAG chose it on cost grounds - delivery slots are also not as rare as that for the A350/B787. Early retirement is not a major issue because MAG is leasing all its aircraft to be "asset light".

Had mas ordered A350/787 instead of A330 ceo previously, most if not all of current widebodies would be A350/787. current mas management don't seem to plan over 5 years horizon.

5 hours ago, flee said:

The A330neo is definitely on cost ground. Airbus was the only one willing to offset the A380 and even discounted the A330neo frames significantly over the 789. Then there's persisting contracts that is related to industry wide chain for Malaysia such as Mindef etc that have to be taken upon.

52 minutes ago, KK Lee said:

Had mas ordered A350/787 instead of A330 ceo previously, most if not all of current widebodies would be A350/787. current mas management don't seem to plan over 5 years horizon.

If MH were to take all 787 they'll be a problem for some of the long haul flights. Most of the long haul 789 operators are on low density config. As the aircraft comes with limitation to the aircrafts mtow with the required amount of passengers that Malaysia intends to bring for long haul flights. The A359 has such less burden with higher commercial payload allowance and higher weights.

In the end it still has to take both 787 and a350s. The A339 plus A359 pairing seems to make sense in terms of commonality rating and range utilization. But the A339 would lose out to the 789 when it is paired side by side on the same routes in operating cost.

6 minutes ago, jahur said:

The A330neo is definitely on cost ground. Airbus was the only one willing to offset the A380 and even discounted the A330neo frames significantly over the 789. Then there's persisting contracts that is related to industry wide chain for Malaysia such as Mindef etc that have to be taken upon.

If MH were to take all 787 they'll be a problem for some of the long haul flights. Most of the long haul 789 operators are on low density config. As the aircraft comes with limitation to the aircrafts mtow with the required amount of passengers that Malaysia intends to bring for long haul flights. The A359 has such less burden with higher commercial payload allowance and higher weights.

In the end it still has to take both 787 and a350s. The A339 plus A359 pairing seems to make sense in terms of commonality rating and range utilization. But the A339 would lose out to the 789 when it is paired side by side on the same routes in operating cost.

Also commonality on the hard product on board. Once the A359 comes out of refurbishment, it will showcase common product across the line between A339 and A359. Lesser headache for commercial and customer services when it comes to equipment swap when there is a need.

2 minutes ago, Pall said:

Also commonality on the hard product on board. Once the A359 comes out of refurbishment, it will showcase common product across the line between A339 and A359. Lesser headache for commercial and customer services when it comes to equipment swap when there is a need.

Some were arguing to instead operate an all a350 widebody fleet for simplification. While if we take out the long delivery queue issue from airbus and etc. Operating an all a350 would expensive especially on the shorter regionals and domestic seasonal peak upgrades. The A350 while already a B777-200 killer is still an expensive plane to operate under Malaysia's current market trend compared to the old days of cheap fuel and less competition.

In the end it still needs a smaller variant of either the A339 or B789. And in terms of unit cost to procure the plane the A339 is the cost advantage.

Despite all these, the arrival of 339 with the new cabin is the most awaited event in MH history for a very very very very loooong time. Its like entering a new phase.

18 hours ago, KK Lee said:

It isn't only the current management that failed to plan effectively as far as the fleet is concerned - fleet planning has been poor since 1972! Coupled to that is the interference from politicians and you have a classic recipe for fleet sub optimisation!

MH has only two routes (longer than 10 hrs flight time) that really need the capability of the A350 - I think it is LHR and AKL. It is an expensive plane to operate if you don't make use of its capabilities. Starlux is a good example - their A350s are sent on long haul flights while their A330Neos are operating regional flights. Unless MH has plans to resume more long haul routes, the A330Neo is more suitable for its medium haul routes.

Edited by flee

I have an upcoming flight with MH TPE-KUL on 8/5/24. I received a notification email from MH yesterday that the flight is now cancelled and they offer me alternate dates or refund.

When I check on their website it seems the cancellation only happens on 8/5/24, not a regular schedule change thing.

My question here is this normal ? Not sure if this is something related to the aircraft availability, but it only happens on 8/5 and it is still one month away. Last I check it show the flight is operated by A332.

i call the customer service today and when I ask why is the cancellation, the operator says it could be due to weather or medical emergency. Mmmm… it is still one month away… 😂

I believe the procurement of more Airbus (French/German) products compared to Boeing (US) products are closely linked to what and how much investment both players brings into Malaysia. Airbus and the French are more than willing to share their OEM suppliers contract with our local manufacturers providing job opportunities to the locals. The French is also willing to give more concessions/discount or bundle the purchase agreement with other commodities/leverages to win the RFP. For example, in this case, in MH's case Airbus took back the A380s, this took off the behemoth burden on MAG's balance sheet. In the past, Airbus has done the same deal with TG's A340 family purchase. I believe Thaksin, the Thai PM at that time, traded in few tons of shrimp and some other commodities in exchange for the ten A340s. Whether they were operated successfully is another story.

In addition, AirAsia's fleet conversion from Boeing to Airbus back in the early 00's allows Airbus to gain a stronger foothold in South East Asia. Malaysia became Airbus's springboard to conquer the region and Boeing is almost obliterated from most of the airline fleet, be it premium or low cost, and is currently the mainstay in LCC market in the region. With MH and AK Group Airbus fleet, and the TUDM buying A400M, I believe they have bundled a lot of deals behind the scene, crossing both commercial and non-civil. Not forgetting AirAsia faced near collapse few times due to financial issue, but suddenly they were doing alright again. Behind the scene, Airbus and Malaysia gomen could have arm twisted each other on who should take up the bill, MH might have caught in between the cross fire. That reminds me of the ill-fated MH-AK share swap agreement in 2012, to date it still leave a bitter taste in many. What a farce by Tony, and everyone sembah him like a God. Good grief.

Edited by JuliusWong

On 4/1/2024 at 10:28 PM, KK Lee said:

Well, Boeing did not worked hard enough to get Najib Bossku's deal into realisation. They could have done a better job and lobbying but they chose not to do so since it was a "minor" deal (provisional order was for eight B787s). Boeing could have fought hard to sell 30 B787s to MH to replace the whole 21 A330 fleet. Additionally, back then Capt Izham stated they could not proceed with the order since they could not determine its wide-body plane requirements vs. future network expansion and they had enough fleet to fly the network back then. Simply say: they do not have cash to be throwing around buying something for something unknown. The MAS Recovery Plan, initiated by Khazanah Nasional after the privatization, calls for network re-designation to focus on Asia-Pacific, that is what Malaysia Airlines is focusing on now, making B787 purchase even highly unlikely as A330neo can do the job just as good as B787 in regional route.

That being said Boeing doesn't need MH order, and prefer not to have an additional eight B787 to build now, since their house is in a mess now. The MH B787 provisional deal was signed in 2017, and lapsed in 2018. I don't think they will even arrive by now, after the dotted line is signed.

B787 in Malaysia Airlines's livery looks so beautiful though.

undefined

Edited by JuliusWong

20 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

I have an upcoming flight with MH TPE-KUL on 8/5/24. I received a notification email from MH yesterday that the flight is now cancelled and they offer me alternate dates or refund.

When I check on their website it seems the cancellation only happens on 8/5/24, not a regular schedule change thing.

My question here is this normal ? Not sure if this is something related to the aircraft availability, but it only happens on 8/5 and it is still one month away. Last I check it show the flight is operated by A332.

i call the customer service today and when I ask why is the cancellation, the operator says it could be due to weather or medical emergency. Mmmm… it is still one month away… 😂

It's not uncommon for airlines to have one-off or seemingly random cancellations in advance. Could be due to many reasons -- low demand, maintenance scheduling, crew/aircraft shortage, etc.

These changes aren't usually communicated to frontliners though.

3 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

It's not uncommon for airlines to have one-off or seemingly random cancellations in advance. Could be due to many reasons -- low demand, maintenance scheduling, crew/aircraft shortage, etc.

These changes aren't usually communicated to frontliners though.

But surely not weather or medical emergency ... it being a month out yet 🤣

19 hours ago, BC Tam said:

But surely not weather or medical emergency ... it being a month out yet 🤣

Actually I did not anticipate an answer from her. It was just a casual talk during the change of date for the ticket. However weather or medical emergency is the least expected response I have :).

Anyway, the call experience was pleasant. The call was picked up and answered within 5 seconds after it was re-directed to the respective department. You can only dream if this is a call center in Australia. The customer service was very patient too.

Sorry for the OT.

13 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

Actually I did not anticipate an answer from her. It was just a casual talk during the change of date for the ticket. However weather or medical emergency is the least expected response I have :).

Anyway, the call experience was pleasant. The call was picked up and answered within 5 seconds after it was re-directed to the respective department. You can only dream if this is a call center in Australia. The customer service was very patient too.

Sorry for the OT.

Did you buy any chance notice the accent or how they speak? I think MH has moved the call centre back to Malaysia, not longer outsourced to Fiji. There was a RFP last year in setting up English speaking call centre in Malaysia, not sure if it was followed through.  

4 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Did you buy any chance notice the accent or how they speak? I think MH has moved the call centre back to Malaysia, not longer outsourced to Fiji. There was a RFP last year in setting up English speaking call centre in Malaysia, not sure if it was followed through.  

I am pretty sure the customer service is a Malaysian.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Highly doubt this, sounds more like a light moment between the two.

Yeah, and it's just a politically correct answer. He's not gonna say "It doesn't make sense for us to open a MAN route" when he just launched Man Utd as a partner two weeks ago 😆

50 minutes ago, jani said:

Yeah, and it's just a politically correct answer. He's not gonna say "It doesn't make sense for us to open a MAN route" when he just launched Man Utd as a partner two weeks ago 😆

Yes, politically correct answer. The planned Euro routes are Paris and Amsterdam, which are slated to return in 2025/2026. 

MH is partnering with Manchester United for brand awareness purpose since Man U is one of the most well-known football club. Unlike SQ brand which can sell itself, MH needs a "larger" brand to sell their own brand.

8 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Yes, politically correct answer. The planned Euro routes are Paris and Amsterdam, which are slated to return in 2025/2026. 

MH is partnering with Manchester United for brand awareness purpose since Man U is one of the most well-known football club. Unlike SQ brand which can sell itself, MH needs a "larger" brand to sell their own brand.

Am I correct that the A339 can't do these routes without payload restrictions?