MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

When MH says: No more widebodies for domestic

Just known that MAS is pulling out the A330 services between KUL and BKI (and I believe between KUL & KCH also), making it no more widebodies servicing this two domestic trunk routes....would like to hear opinion for those who traveled on this before...

Yeah, I'm one of those who had in past times tried to fit my itinerary to travel with the big birds where it's possible - but never at expense of compromising intended schedule, whether work nor leisure

With this latest decision by MAS, I guess it's much less grey matter activity required :)

Been travelling on the DC-10, A300B4-200, A330s and B747-400 on this route. It sucks to say the least!

I used to try to book myself into widebodies in the past whenever possible

Anyone remembered back in 90s when Fokker 50 served this route for a 4hrs flight? Anyway,with the incoming 738s more or less the capacity is well covered.so no more A330s needed..And is it also because MH are retiring its older A330s?

Am intrigued as to whether this decision is derived from 'operational' or 'policy' considerations ? :D

Bear in mind that PEN has been without MH big birds for quite a few years now, but a certain foreign airline don't seem to share the same sentiment ...... :)

For short sectors, I actually prefer narrow bodies as there are fewer pax to clear security and immigration. As we all know, Malaysia is one funny country where we need to have immigration even when traveling on domestic flights!

I took MH2616 (A330) last saturday and I felt the aircraft is spacious and airy (though we got to sit in an old aircraft). Oh, well times have change...

As we all know, Malaysia is one funny country where we need to have immigration even when traveling on domestic flights!

You don't know how "funny" it is unless and until you're a Malaysian Sabahan having to queue up for ages to clear immigration formalities (basically a quick galnce at one's NRIC) at BKI - purportedly primary entry point to ..... well, home :D

I try to get on MH 2521, 1105 from KCH to KUL. I enjoy it, despite it being an old plane with outdated GCC seats. The inner rows and window seats are usually taken up, with everyone having an extra seat for their bags. Was looking forward to seeing the new A330s on the sector.

Ashamed to admit that I'd work my schedule around the wide-body flights!

Wait until Hari Raya or CNY break or any long festivals break that warrants a widebody service. Only stupid managers will not be flexible enough to take advantage of sudden increase in pax demand by deploying appropriate machine to meet the demand. However, knowing MAS .......... :sorry:

:hi:

MH 2528 on the 16/8 KUL-KCH will be on A330. The next day 2 flights with A330, MH2528 and MH2504. High demand for raya i guess.

Booking engine seems to display that flights that were A330 operated are now in B737-400 for Jan 2013. Major turn off. :finger: Shouldn't they at least deployed the B737-800?

Edited by jahur

wide or narrow....no problem

as long as I arrive at the destination in one piece.

no point of deploying widebodies if there are not enough passengers to fill the planes.

Previously I had always selected the T7 for BKI - KUL sector. The plane was doing KUL - BKI - NRT then. The biggest difference is not only on the comfort level, but also on the catering and it seems like there is huge difference in service level as well. Then we have the Japanese stewardess...

Previously I had always selected the T7 for BKI - KUL sector. The plane was doing KUL - BKI - NRT then. The biggest difference is not only on the comfort level, but also on the catering and it seems like there is huge difference in service level as well. Then we have the Japanese stewardess...

I think these flights are different from what we have now - yes, international flights should have higher standards.

Abit out of topic:

Travelled to BKI and upon immigration clearance, received a small sheets with personal particulars etc and stated that we can't stay in East Malaysia for more than 90 days. So my question is since we are Malaysian, why this still being applied on us ?

Edited by Li Ren

Abit out of topic:

Travelled to BKI and upon immigration clearance, received a small sheets with personal particulars etc and stated that we can't stay in East Malaysia for more than 90 days. So my question is since we are Malaysian, why this still being applied on us ?

It's part of the agreement when Sabah & Sarawak joined the Federation - at least now we only need to show our IC instead of needing a passport.

Abit out of topic:

And to add some surprise, even intra-Sabah travel requires immigration clearance! That is what I heard from cabin announcement while flying KUL-BKI...

why are they being so strict on this ruling while we all know the open secret of illegal immigrants being handed mykad far too easily?? the case of dogs barking at the wrong tree?

Abit out of topic:

Go and read history book.

Kindly understand the meaning of Persekutuan Tanah Melayu, Sabah & Sarawak.

Go and read history book.

Kindly understand the meaning of Persekutuan Tanah Melayu, Sabah & Sarawak.

Gee... kids today, seemed to be very ignorant about history and how they have actually come together.

Edited by S V Choong

I don't think it in the history books. I got to know about it in school, yes, but specifically cases like passing thru immigrain needing a passport, not that I recall of.

On 20 Point of agreement somehow we only learn this in higher learning institute through the subject Malaysian Studies but not in Form 4-5 Sejarah if i could recall.

On 20 Point of agreement somehow we only learn this in higher learning institute through the subject Malaysian Studies but not in Form 4-5 Sejarah if i could recall.

I remember learning that in school, and it was stated in history textbook. But, most students would be ignorant about it anyway. Back to topic, widebodies may no longer be in fixed schedule, but increased frequency should results in more utilization of airport gates, considering the traffic at BKI T1 nowadays.

Since airlines opted for frequency rather than bigger aircraft then it's inevitable that this would happen. As I recall BKI have so much seats available on regular flights that there is really not much need for widebodies.

Someone told me the new MT-series will replace the MK-series come Sept, so I guess they wouldn't be staying long either.

Sign in to follow this