MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sharil Abdul Rahman

Everything Scoot

Only some seats will be furnished in yellow. Others will be in a dark grey and yet others in a deep purple.

That is as far as I know at this stage.

KC Sim

Launch of new SIA subsidiary Scoot shakes up the LCC market

Singapore Airlines' (SIA) new long-haul low-cost subsidiary Scoot launches services on 04-Jun-2012, shaking up Singapore’s already highly competitive LCC market. Scoot becomes the third carrier in Asia’s fast-growing long-haul low-cost sector, joining Jetstar and AirAsia X. Scoot also becomes the fourth brand in the SIA Group portfolio, complementing short-haul low-cost carrier Tiger Airways (partially owned by SIA), short-haul full service carrier SilkAir (fully owned by SIA) and the mainline Singapore Airlines full service brand. SIA itself now primarily operates medium and long-haul routes, having handed over in recent years several of its short-haul routes to SilkAir as competition increased with LCCs.

LCCs now account for over 25% of passenger traffic at Singapore Changi Airport. LCCs have driven nearly all the growth at Changi since Tiger, Jetstar Asia and Valuair launched services in 2004 (Valuair was subsequently acquired by Jetstar Asia). The launch of Scoot and the expected expansion of Jetstar’s Singapore-based long-haul operation, which currently consists of only three aircraft, should ensure continued growth in Changi LCC traffic even as the country’s short-haul LCC market starts to approach saturation after several years of rapid growth.

While nearly all major short-haul routes from Changi are now well served by multiple LCCs, there are still huge opportunities for LCCs to stimulate demand on routes of 5hrs and longer. Scoot launches on 04-Jun-2012 with a daily Boeing 777-200 flight to Sydney, a huge market which was previously not served by LCCs. The entrance of Scoot provides Singapore-Sydney passengers with a new low-fare option and breaks the duopoly enjoyed by Qantas and SIA (British Airways also serves Singapore-Sydney but effectively there are only two full service players on the route because the BA flight is part of a joint service agreement with Qantas).

So far Qantas and SIA have not significantly cut fares on the Singapore-Sydney route in response to Scoot’s entrance. But Qantas could end up responding to the new threat posed by Scoot by deciding to use its Jetstar subsidiary to launch separate low-cost flights on the route. Jetstar already links Singapore with Melbourne, a route which until now had lower fares than Singapore-Sydney due to the more intense competition (SIA, Qantas, Jetstar and Emirates serve Singapore-Melbourne).

Jetstar currently operates three long-haul routes from Changi with three A330-200s. In addition to Melbourne, the carrier operates a daily service to Beijing and four weekly flights to Auckland.

Launch of Scoot represents change of strategy for SIA

SIA’s decision to launch Scoot is seen partially as a response to Jetstar. While Jetstar’s Singapore-based long-haul operation is relatively small, it has already carried 500,000 passengers since launching in 2010 and is expected to expand significantly over the next few years. Jetstar’s decision two years ago to base widebodies in SIA’s home market clearly caught the attention of SIA, prompting it to reassess its previously conservative LCC strategy.

Unlike other major airline groups in the Asia-Pacific region, SIA initially decided not to take an active involvement in the LCC sector, acquiring only a minority stake in Tiger when the carrier was established. In hindsight this decision was probably a mistake as Tiger has struggled and could have benefitted over the years from a more active role, including management expertise, from SIA. It was only after the grounding of Tiger’s Australian subsidiary last year that SIA become more involved in Tiger, temporarily seconding one of its executives to the Tiger Airways Group CEO position.

With Scoot, SIA is fully involved with a 100% stake although the group has given the Scoot management team, led by former SIA VP Campbell Wilson, independence and freedom to pursue a drastically different corporate culture. SIA has high aspirations for Scoot (although it has refrained from publicly stating when it expects the new subsidiary expects to begin contributing profits) and is banking on the new brand ushering a new era of growth for the group.

Full article and analysis here: http://www.centreforaviation.com/analysis/launch-of-new-sia-subsidiary-scoot-shakes-up-the-lcc-market-75191

Scoot to fly daily to Tokyo & Taipei

SINGAPORE: After months undergoing a transformation, Scoot's first aircraft, "Goin' Scootin", was ready to do just that - to Sydney, Australia!

Its inaugural flight on June 4 marked a milestone in Singapore's aviation history.

Choi Shing Kwok, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport, said: "The low-cost operating model holds great potential for more than just short trips. There is an untapped market of wallet-friendly medium and long-haul travel for Singapore to create and serve."

Four hundred passengers were on board.

The flight was delayed by about two hours, after the warning lights came on in the cockpit.

"We expect them to really check on this. It's the first flight right? They should do a better job," said one passenger.

"I suppose it's better that they carry out the safety checks than for us to fly and wonder if the plane is going to land in one piece or not," said another.

Captain Rohan Hari Chandra, who was with Singapore Airlines for 25 years, made sure everything was in order.

"Our standards of flight crew training are the same as SIA. So in that aspect, there is no difference. The difference is in the way we work the cabin," he said.

Scoot CEO Campbell Wilson said: "Clearly these things happen. Aircraft are complex machines. When the warning light comes on, they are checked up by engineers and that was the case. So the warning was checked, the aircraft was clear, and away we went."

The cast of MediaCorp's "The Noose" provided in-flight entertainment.

One lucky passenger won a free return ticket.

On Scoot's long-haul budget flights, passengers can opt to catch up on sleep or pay for a meal.

As for entertainment, Scoot allows passengers to rent iPads which are pre-loaded with movies, music and games. Those in economy class will need to pay S$22 to use the tablet computers, while passengers in business class will enjoy the perk for free.

"Overall, it was an average experience. I expected the seats to be little more comfortable because this is supposed to be business class," said one passenger.

The aircraft landed smoothly and received a water cannon salute.

Then came the announcement of more destinations - Tokyo and Taipei.

Mr Wilson said: "Tokyo isn't the expensive place that used to be. I guess the consequence of a couple of decades of stagnant growth is that prices have not gone up, and so we can get great value airfares.

"Taipei, of course, helps us sustain the route because as we start the airline, as we build the brand, it will take some time to build the loads and so flying via Taipei gives us another opportunity to attract passengers."

Scoot will start flying to the Gold Coast, Australia, from June 12.

Source: http://www.channelne...1205695/1/.html

Edited by flee

Cikgu you didn't try?

flight report by CNNgo..few photos as well

http://www.cnngo.com...ul-skies-843151

OMG~~!!a big dissapoinment of the economy cabin of the scoot, cmon, they can do better then that..are they reusing back the 70's-80's chair for this scoot?? thats why until now i still haven't seen any photo of the cabin post on the facebook...D7 had a way better ,looks comfortable cabin...sigh~~was i expecting too high from SQ? hmmn, the business class? reusing SQ regional seat?

OMG~~!!a big dissapoinment of the economy cabin of the scoot, cmon, they can do better then that..are they reusing back the 70's-80's chair for this scoot?? thats why until now i still haven't seen any photo of the cabin post on the facebook...D7 had a way better ,looks comfortable cabin...sigh~~was i expecting too high from SQ? hmmn, the business class? reusing SQ regional seat?

All the seats are new...

Err...it's supposed to be long haul LCC...

hahaha, i know it is a new seat, if not how to fit in 10 abreast seat...it just that the seat design is so retro, i was expecting them to be more creative...just really don't think that SQ are good in the LCC model...

I heard that the yellow 2X2 seats at the back are wider (SGD22) while the bulkhead/emergency exits ones (SGD99) gave bigger legroom...after tax, no baggage and seats selection its RM1118 to SYD, D7 is around RM1370...hmm...how ah?

I heard that the yellow 2X2 seats at the back are wider (SGD22) while the bulkhead/emergency exits ones (SGD99) gave bigger legroom...after tax, no baggage and seats selection its RM1118 to SYD, D7 is around RM1370...hmm...how ah?

How about the trip to SIN? If you add the flight cost to SIN as well it'll probably amount to the same thing right?

How about the trip to SIN? If you add the flight cost to SIN as well it'll probably amount to the same thing right?

For Cik gu, no diff. He has still to buy KCH-KUL (if flying D7) or KCH-SIN (if flying TZ) tickets. :)

Cik gu, if I was you I will fly TZ. Their seating seems to offer more choices for the larger bodied and taller people. However, TZ's on-time performance is still not as good as D7's.

Edited by flee