MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I highly doubt AF will partner up with MH for AU-EU services. Although I am curious if they partner up with SQ for their Southeast Asia-EU flights.

Caveat on the first page 🤣

I highly doubt BA/LH will launch KUL this summer. It's too late to announce any new intercontinental routes for summer now. Most airlines that aren't MH/Chinese carriers usually announces their new longhaul expansion 6+ months ahead of launch with lots of marketing. BA announced their return to KUL in September/October the year before their May launch last time. KUL, unlike BKK, isn't a winter destination, so I guess we can count BA/LH out for Winter 2024 launch as well. So the best we can hope for now is Summer 2025 return :)

AY did announced KUL but I can't recall when. It was canceled and swept under the rug. IB will be a huge surprise. Can't imagine they'd use their 359 to KUL.

AI is highly likely given that India's economy is growing and we gave Indian citizens a visa waiver until the end of this year. Maybe get Vistara at it too.

A bit more skeptical about Chinese carriers but Chinese carriers are adding more flights to KUL. CZ is 4x daily CAN and FM is 2-3x daily PVG now. GJ (Loong Air) also started flights from HGH. FM will make it 4x daily to PVG and 3U will launch 1x daily TFU-KUL come summer.

MAHB incentives of landing fee waiver/ complimentary KUL office rental doesn't seem to be working in the 00s. Not too sure why they think it'd be working now.

Yes, i read about the first/second page of the financial report. But this is not a MAHB's "wishlist" or "dream".. You look carefully, they even have included the frequency.. most likely these airlines have some initial agreement with MAHB to launch flights to KUL.. 

AY announced KUL to start in May 2007… then they decided to move to HKG instead. 

BA/IB/LH - those will be a huge surprise (especially IB). 
hope LH will be able to use their 789s to KUL, and IB with 359s! 

This is another financial report of MAHB from last year.

In slide no 20, we can see that most of the airlines under the list of "Incoming Airlines and Targeted Destinations in 1Q24" (mind you that this was 2023 report) are now confirmed will be flying to KUL this year (Air Algerie, Turkmenistan Airlines, Air India Express & FlyDubai): https://mahb.listedcompany.com/misc/presentation/2023/3Q23_vF.pdf

1 hour ago, Adam Lawrence said:

This is another financial report of MAHB from last year.

Interesting. Thank you. It seems like BA, LH, IB, QF, and AY have been pushed back to 2H 2024 or 2025. UO (HK Express) is not surprising - HKG is still the top non-ASEAN (maybe below DAC, I forgot) pax number for KUL. The one that makes the least sense would be IB. 

Interesting that KUL is a oneworld hub but only served by 5 OW carriers including MH. Star has 7 and Skyteam has 8. Looking at MAVCOM's approval for JAL-MH joint business application, JAL don't plan to increase capacity on NRT-KUL until 2027 (page 18 of the report). They probably won't do HND-KUL so we have been stuck with 1 daily NRT-KUL since the 00s? There was even a KIX-SIN-KUL back then. 

There's another lounge that is under construction at T1 Satellite - I am curious if that will host one of the other alliance's lounge.

7 hours ago, Craig said:

I highly doubt AF will partner up with MH for AU-EU services. Although I am curious if they partner up with SQ for their Southeast Asia-EU flights.

Caveat on the first page 🤣

I highly doubt BA/LH will launch KUL this summer. It's too late to announce any new intercontinental routes for summer now. Most airlines that aren't MH/Chinese carriers usually announces their new longhaul expansion 6+ months ahead of launch with lots of marketing. BA announced their return to KUL in September/October the year before their May launch last time. KUL, unlike BKK, isn't a winter destination, so I guess we can count BA/LH out for Winter 2024 launch as well. So the best we can hope for now is Summer 2025 return :)

AY did announced KUL but I can't recall when. It was canceled and swept under the rug. IB will be a huge surprise. Can't imagine they'd use their 359 to KUL.

AI is highly likely given that India's economy is growing and we gave Indian citizens a visa waiver until the end of this year. Maybe get Vistara at it too.

A bit more skeptical about Chinese carriers but Chinese carriers are adding more flights to KUL. CZ is 4x daily CAN and FM is 2-3x daily PVG now. GJ (Loong Air) also started flights from HGH. FM will make it 4x daily to PVG and 3U will launch 1x daily TFU-KUL come summer.

MAHB incentives of landing fee waiver/ complimentary KUL office rental doesn't seem to be working in the 00s. Not too sure why they think it'd be working now.

Given number of EK, QR, TK, EY, SQ and TG daily flights from KUL, demand ex-KUL to EU is not small and sustainable. If MH could feed AUS, Indon, etc pax to EU, daily flight to CDG, FRA, AMS, etc on 788 size aircraft is feasible and sustainable.

With multiple daily flight from KUL, CZ ticket price to Japan e.g KUL-HND, etc is very competitive. Understand J class ticket on CZ and MU to N. American and Europe before summer months is very affordable.

8 hours ago, Izanee said:

AY announced KUL to start in May 2007… then they decided to move to HKG instead. 

BA/IB/LH - those will be a huge surprise (especially IB). 
hope LH will be able to use their 789s to KUL, and IB with 359s! 

Yes, AY has announced KUL for at least thrice but it was never materialised. This was back in MD-11/ A340 era. Last was in 2007 when they abandoned plan to launch KUL in favour of India, China and Japan. Singapore, then a tag-on from BKK was also dropped. AY later returned to SIN via direct flight using A340 then A350. https://www.businesstraveller.com/news/2007/01/24/finnair-drops-singapore-and-malaysia-in-favour-of-china-india-and-japan/

The weirdest of all these potentials is IB. I personally do not think there are enough O&D pax to sustain the route, if they are speaking of IB/BA codesharing then there is a very minimal possibility. Maybe QF (with MH) can feed the number to KUL and from KUL to Europe?

LH now is very short of widebody to launch any new routes, since their factory new B787s are being parked in storage due to OEM supply chain issue. They are trying to mop up any second-hand B787s and A350s available in the market. With Condor now being LH competitor, and Eurowings Discover still in infancy, perhaps we can see LH returns quite soon. German President and Minister for Foreign Affairs were here few months ago, maybe something is happening behind the scene.

Interesting information, thanks.

Just wondering about Air Incheon, anyone heard of them or seen them at KUL yet? It says they started KUL in Jul 2023 😁

6 hours ago, kandiah k said:

Interesting information, thanks.

Just wondering about Air Incheon, anyone heard of them or seen them at KUL yet? It says they started KUL in Jul 2023 😁

Air Incheon is a cargo airline

https://www.klia2.info/news/2023/air-incheon-launches-incheon-kuala-lumpur-route/

https://www.instagram.com/aerodaratservices/p/CumF_9-BjwQ/?img_index=1

8 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

German President and Minister for Foreign Affairs were here few months ago, maybe something is happening behind the scene.

We’ve had several high-profile visits from the U.S. but still no sign of AA/DL/UA…

1 hour ago, Chris Tan said:

We’ve had several high-profile visits from the U.S. but still no sign of AA/DL/UA…

I don't think any possible sane travelers in Malaysia would anticipate AA/DL/UA launching service to KUL. Malaysians have fairly lesser relationship to the US compared to say the UK. Malaysia is not a major financial hub compared to Hong Kong and Singapore and our government views are not in line with Uncle Sam most of the time. The government exchange between both is cordial but minimal at best, that's the reason why we will never be getting onto F-35A program or be upgraded to VWP. Those US officials visiting Malaysia was just nothing but courtesy visit, with intention to align Malaysia to them, make Malaysia their chess and styme China rise in the region. Glad that Malaysia (and Indonesia) are not playing their ball of game, unlike South Korea, Japan and Singapore. Plus the US3 have been retreating from South East Asia for the past few years, often relying on their Asian partners to bring their pax to the region.

Delta Airlines (gained most Asians route via Northwest acquisition)

• Dropped - Singapore, Hong Kong, Fukuoka, Narita (Haneda still operating), Nagoya, Osaka
  • Retained - Shanghai, Tokyo-Haneda

United Airlines (gained most Asians route via Pan Am acquisition)

• Dropped - Bangkok, Chengdu, Xi'an, Hangzhou, Hiroshima, Nagoya, Naha, Niigata Airport, Okayama, Sapporo, Sendai (mostly due to downsizing of Guam base), Ho Chi Minh City
  • Retained - Taipei, Singapore, Manila (via Guam base), Hong Kong, Beijing, Seoul, Fukuoka (via Guam base), Nagoya (via Guam base), Osaka (via Guam base), Tokyo (both Haneda and Narita)

American Airlines

• Dropped - Beijing, Hong Kong, Taipei
  • Retained - Tokyo (both Haneda and Narita), Shanghai

Malaysia (and China) are the manufacturing hubs for many German companies for Asia. Between Germany and the US, we should have a higher chance of seeing a route resumption to/from Frankfurt than Los Angeles or San Francisco. 

Edited by JuliusWong

I think the possibility of Condor returning to KUL is greater than LH. I think that once they have more A339s delivered, we might see them back at KUL once more.

US has never been a popular destination because of the need for an expensive visa. Besides, not many Malaysians have close links to the US. Australia and UK are where we have more family and friends. Besides, US destinations from KUL are already well served by the ME3 and Asia Pacific airlines like SQ, CX, CI, BR, JL, etc. That is why we don't see US airlines here - they are more focussed on their domestic and transatlantic markets.

15 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

German President and Minister for Foreign Affairs were here few months ago, maybe something is happening behind the scene.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2024/01/12/anwar-conveys-to-germany-malaysia039s-firm-stance-condemnation-of-israeli-regime

At meeting with german mofa; it seems gaza and hamas was more important to pmx than trade. doubt lh was on the agenda.

2 hours ago, KK Lee said:

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2024/01/12/anwar-conveys-to-germany-malaysia039s-firm-stance-condemnation-of-israeli-regime

At meeting with german mofa; it seems gaza and hamas was more important to pmx than trade. doubt lh was on the agenda.

I do believe there were more to the meeting than just Hamas and Gaza. Some topics are definitely covered. Of course Gaza will definitely grab the headline.

Sichuan Airlines Adds Chengdu – Kuala Lumpur in NS24

Sichuan Airlines at the launch of Northern summer 2024 season schedules new service to Malaysia, where it plans to operate Chengdu Tianfu – Kuala Lumpur route. Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route on daily basis, effective 31MAR24.

3U3993 TFU1725 – 2230KUL 320 D
3U3994 KUL2330 – 0500+1TFU 320 D

Sichuan Airlines will be the fourth carrier to operate this route, in addition to following (operation from 31MAR24):
AirAsia X 1 daily A330-300
Air China 1 daily A320 (increase from 5 weekly in 1Q24)
Batik Air Malaysia 4 weekly 737 MAX 8

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240212-3uns24kul

Malaysia Airlines, Firefly and Batik Air will be doing a series of charter flights to China.

Malaysia Airlines MH8827 from Shenyang, Liaoning, China. Operated by A330-323 9M-MTJ

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/mh8827

Others:

1. Firefly route Nanjing-Tawau (starting Jan 23)
  2. Batik Air routes
  • Chengdu-Langkawi (starting Feb 5)
  • Zhengzhou-KUL (starting Feb 5)
  • Chengdu-Kota Kinabalu (starting Feb 9)
  • Chongqing-Langkawi (starting Feb 10)
  • Xian-KUL (starting Feb 11)

in addition, KUL is currently seeing frequency increase and a few new entrants in China-Malaysia market. 

1. China Eastern Airlines route Beijing-Kuala Lumpur (four times weekly, starting Jan 31)
  2. Loong Air route Hangzhou-KUL (three times weekly, starting Feb 1)
  3. Batik Air route Kunming-KUL (4 times weekly, starting Feb 9), and upcoming route Zhangjiajie-KUL (three times weekly, starting Feb 18).

Turkmenistan Airlines flight today to usher in new era of ties

https://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnists/2024/02/1013499/turkmenistan-airlines-flight-today-usher-new-era-ties

Turkmenistan Airlines, the national carrier of Turkmenistan, will have its inaugural flight from Ashgabat to Kuala Lumpur. - Pic from Turkmenistan Airlines Malaysia FB

By Dr Shazelina Zainul Abidin - February 15, 2024 @ 12:47am

Turkmenistan Airlines, the national carrier of Turkmenistan, will have its inaugural flight from Ashgabat to Kuala Lumpur. - Pic from Turkmenistan Airlines Malaysia FB

TODAY, Feb 15, Turkmenistan Airlines, the national carrier of Turkmenistan, will have its inaugural flight from Ashgabat to Kuala Lumpur.

After more than 30 years of relations between Malaysia and Turkmenistan, Turkmenistan Airlines has decided to join its brother Central Asian republics, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, and establish a direct flight to Malaysia.

It is expected to fly direct flights twice a week, using the Ashgabat-Kuala Lumpur-Ashgabat route. There are already plans to increase the frequency.

Turkmenistan Airlines' flights are expected to bring more Turkmens to Malaysia.

Turkmens enjoy a 90-day visa- free entry into Malaysia. Malay-sians need a visa to enter Turkmenistan.

While many countries have done away with physical appointments for visa applications, Malaysians wanting to go to Turkmenistan must apply at the embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

Among the documents needed is a letter of invitation from a sponsor in Turkmenistan. The processing time takes 10 to 15 days. This is perhaps one of the main reasons why Turkmenistan is known as one of the least-visited countries in Asia.

I don't think the route will last long, since Malaysians are required to apply for visa to enter Turkmenistan. Oil is cheap there, so I guess burning money by flying an empty aircraft to and fro is not a concern for them.

Turkmenistan is one of the world's most bizarre tourist (lack thereof) destination, if you have watched Drew Binsky travelogue on YouTube.

Edited by JuliusWong

Is there some sort of convention as to how flight numbers are allocated ?

Like your 'normal' scheduled flights vs chartered flights ... etc ?

Curious 😀

6 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

I don't think the route will last long, since Malaysians are required to apply for visa to enter Turkmenistan. Oil is cheap there, so I guess burning money by flying an empty aircraft to and fro is not a concern for them.

Turkmenistan is one of the world's most bizarre tourist (lack thereof) destination, if you have watched Drew Binsky travelogue on YouTube.

Turkmenistan has quite the similarities with North Korea, according to some. Albeit, more friendly with the West.

As long as Malaysians need a visa to Turkmenistan, traffic from Malaysia will probably be for business. I don't foresee tourist traffic to be that great.

It could be the airline just feeding part of the countries under belly import export line via Malaysia with passengers being insignificant to the airlines actual appetite. Technically not break even but the country's gov is willing to stomach up to keep their restricted economy moving. A lot of airline in those region are operating in that sort of similar ways that is very taboo to the many lot.

China Southern Adds Shenzhen – Kuala Lumpur in NS24

China Southern at the launch of Northern summer 2024 season schedules new service to Malaysia, with the offering of Shenzhen – Kuala Lumpur route. From 31MAR24, Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route on daily basis.

CZ5079 SZX2020 – 0030+1KUL 320 D
CZ5080 KUL0130 – 0540SZX 320 3
CZ5080 KUL0130 – 0545SZX 320 156
CZ5080 KUL0130 – 0555SZX 320 247

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240228-czns24szxkul

Not MY related 
Singapore - I see that  CX is restoring the fifth freedom flights via BKK and today EK announced fifth freedom to PHN
It's a pity that KLIA doesn't get such opportunities.