MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

from aeroroutes…

QATAR AIRWAYS RESUMES PENANG SERVICE FROM LATE-OCT 2023

1 min

Published at 1700GMT 05OCT23

Qatar Airways at the launch of Northern winter 2023/24 season is resuming service to Penang, as the airline opened reservation for travel on/after 29OCT23. The oneWorld member will operate Doha – Phuket – Penang routing with 777-300ER on daily basis.

QR840 DOH0245 – 1325HKT1545 – 1820PEN 77W D
QR841 PEN2245 – 2315HKT0035+1 – 0400+1DOH 77W D

The carrier has been operating this routing, although reservation for passenger flights to/from Penang was not available.

Exclusive: Vietnam's Bamboo Airways struggling to pay pilot wages; some depart

months after late salary payments, according to two people familiar with the matter.

About 30 foreign pilots departed in that time, or more than 10% of the airline's total pilot staff in June, according to one of the people, who declined to be identified as the information was not public.

A second person said some pilots had recently quit and others were dismissed.

Embattled Bamboo, Vietnam's No. 3 airline, said in a statement to Reuters it has undertaken a drastic restructuring encompassing its route network, fleet and human resources.

Bamboo Airways appears to be ending 787 flights

As of November 2023, the airline has completely zeroed out availability for all of its long haul flights, including services to Frankfurt (FRA), London (LGW), Melbourne (MEL), and Sydney (SYD); the airline already abruptly cut its London service as of mid-October, and the other routes show as ending in the coming days

With the airline no longer operating long haul flights, and with the company looking to reduce its fleet, it seems like a near given that the airline will dump its Boeing 787s somehow

Now overhead its 2 remaining 787-9 will be given up to the lessors plus 11 frames under MOU with boeing not to be executed.

Edited by jahur

I remember at one time, they were all hyped up, dubbed replacement for Vietnam Airlines. Looking at launching US and Europe destinations shortly after starting its operation. They were supposed to get A330-200 to test the long haul market, but jumped on the B787 and order a bunch of it. Then had a few used A319/A320/A321 then went on shopping spree to buy new ones when their home market is bleeding money. Guess they were too ambitious. Their flight slots are not really desirable since as late comer the good slots were all taken by Vietnam Airline, Pacific Airlines and Vietjet. Their first owner/CEO was controversial and was hit with fine penalty by the local regulator. Aug 2022 his replacement came and left, another replacement came in May 2023 and left in July 2023. The previous owner FLC was forced to relinquish it's control due to restructuring. BOD also resigned. All four major airlines (Vietnam Airlines, Pacific Airlines, Vietjet and Bamboo Airways) in Vietnam are making losses. Now, this will be interesting time to see who blinks first.

Turkish Airlines NS24 Intercontinental Network Changes - 27OCT23

Istanbul - Kuala Lumpur eff 01APR24 TK060/061 A350-900XWB replaces previously filled B777-300ER 

(Overall 1 daily A350 & 1 daily B789)

Fantastic news and can't wait to see more A350's at KUL 

For some, they prefer 350 to operate on a day flight so that they can see the landscape below at any time during the flight without "cabin crew intervention" to auto dim the windows like in 787. 

19 hours ago, Riza said:

For some, they prefer 350 to operate on a day flight so that they can see the landscape below at any time during the flight without "cabin crew intervention" to auto dim the windows like in 787. 

And for some, the 350 means they could potentially send the ex-SU 359 (TC-LGI/J/K/L) to KUL like they did yesterday. Comes with a much better J class with enclosed suites and proper PEY.

But more importantly. TK is also making KUL 2x 77W for the most part of NW23 schedule. 

Asiana Airlines Resumes Kota Kinabalu Service in NW23

Asiana Airlines in Northern winter 2023/24 season plans to resume regular service on Seoul Incheon – Kota Kinabalu route, last served until October 2016. The Star Alliance carrier will offer seasonal service on daily basis with Airbus A330-300 aircraft, from 23DEC23 to 03MAR24 (Seoul departure).

OZ7553 ICN2030 – 0050+1BKI 333 D
OZ7563 BKI0200 – 0800ICN 333 D

Reservations for both Kota Kinabalu is not available for the moment.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231115-oznw23bkirmq

Edited by Adam Lawrence

5 hours ago, Adam Lawrence said:

Asiana Airlines Resumes Kota Kinabalu Service in NW23

Asiana Airlines in Northern winter 2023/24 season plans to resume regular service on Seoul Incheon – Kota Kinabalu route, last served until October 2016. The Star Alliance carrier will offer seasonal service on daily basis with Airbus A330-300 aircraft, from 23DEC23 to 03MAR24 (Seoul departure).

OZ7553 ICN2030 – 0050+1BKI 333 D
OZ7563 BKI0200 – 0800ICN 333 D

Reservations for both Kota Kinabalu is not available for the moment.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231115-oznw23bkirmq

Also besides that they should start flying to Kuala Lumpur

1 hour ago, Cheng Kit said:

Also besides that they should start flying to Kuala Lumpur

This route is mainly cater for Korean escaping freezing winter.

Air Algerie's Debut to Malaysia

Air Algerie since mid-November 2023 filed preliminary service increase on long-haul routes for Northern summer 2024 season, which includes the airline’s debut to Malaysia. As of 29NOV23, planned long-haul service update as follows. Note additional frequencies added, as well as service to Kuala Lumpur, are not available for reservation for the moment.

Algiers – Kuala Lumpur 19JUN24 – 14SEP24 2 weekly A330-200, new route
AH3256 ALG2100 – 1710+1KUL 332 36
AH3257 KUL1840 – 0130+1ALG 332 47

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231130-ahns24lh

2 hours ago, Adam Lawrence said:

Air Algerie's Debut to Malaysia

Air Algerie since mid-November 2023 filed preliminary service increase on long-haul routes for Northern summer 2024 season, which includes the airline’s debut to Malaysia. As of 29NOV23, planned long-haul service update as follows. Note additional frequencies added, as well as service to Kuala Lumpur, are not available for reservation for the moment.

Algiers – Kuala Lumpur 19JUN24 – 14SEP24 2 weekly A330-200, new route
AH3256 ALG2100 – 1710+1KUL 332 36
AH3257 KUL1840 – 0130+1ALG 332 47

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231130-ahns24lh

Nice addition to KUL, this would be their first foray into South East Asia, however Air Algerie has less than stellar reputation, especially their A330-200. Approach with caution! :P

Fulamaaak… Algiers now! Never thought it would ever happen. looks like a seasonal route. 

all we need is Teheran, Almaty (air Asia now trying to block air Astana by starting earlier!), Amman, Baghdad, (LAX/SFO one can dream)… and maybe at least one of either Paris, Frankfurt or Rome! 

33 minutes ago, Izanee said:

all we need is Teheran, Almaty (air Asia now trying to block air Astana by starting earlier!), Amman, Baghdad, (LAX/SFO one can dream)… and maybe at least one of either Paris, Frankfurt or Rome! 

I am sure we had/still have Tehran and Baghdad a few years ago. Amman was stopped during covid. We also used to have Beirut and Sa'naa 🤣

54 minutes ago, Izanee said:

Fulamaaak… Algiers now! Never thought it would ever happen. looks like a seasonal route. 

The closest Air Algeria came to Malaysia was leasing D7 planes! Lets see if the flights next year will really operate.

Mahan Air stopped flying from Tehran because of fuel supply issues in KUL due to compliance with sanctions. Royal Jordanian might restore their tag on from BKK if they have sufficient aircraft. We already have Kuwait Airways and Iraqi might return. EU - highly doubtful that Air France and Lufthansa will return but Ita might be interested once they have finished building their core network.

Edited by flee

19 minutes ago, flee said:

The closest Air Algeria came to Malaysia was leasing D7 planes! Lets see if the flights next year will really operate.

Mahan Air stopped flying from Tehran because of fuel supply issues in KUL due to compliance with sanctions. Royal Jordanian might restore their tag on from BKK if they have sufficient aircraft. We already have Kuwait Airways and Iraqi might return. EU - highly doubtful that Air France and Lufthansa will return but Ita might be interested once they have finished building their core network.

RJ's 787 is sitting on the ground at BKK if they aren't flying onwards to HKG. KU already pulled out. Much higher chance for BA/LH than AF to return. AF is happy sending their pax via AMS/SIN.

52 minutes ago, Craig said:

RJ's 787 is sitting on the ground at BKK if they aren't flying onwards to HKG. KU already pulled out. Much higher chance for BA/LH than AF to return. AF is happy sending their pax via AMS/SIN.

KU still flying to KUL. They resumed flights this year.

Anyway, I think the next potential for KUL will be Royal Air Maroc (Oneworld partner) or maybe Azerbaijan Airlines.

Back in 2018, Azerbaijan stated their interest to fly to KL: https://www.rusaviainsider.com/azerbaijan-azal-14-new-international-routes/

Edited by Adam Lawrence

3 hours ago, Adam Lawrence said:

KU still flying to KUL. They resumed flights this year.

KU quietly suspended KUL at the beginning of winter 2023 schedule (late Oct). I just find it a bit insulting that QF serves MNL, CGK, BKK, SIN, DPS but not KUL. Is the cut that deep?

3 hours ago, Craig said:

KU quietly suspended KUL at the beginning of winter 2023 schedule (late Oct). I just find it a bit insulting that QF serves MNL, CGK, BKK, SIN, DPS but not KUL. Is the cut that deep?

Qantas is currently short of widebody to do KUL and priotises other routes which can deliver consistent better earning. They dropped KUL in 1999 due to poor load and funneled their pax via 3K/MH since then, with SQ as addition now. The load is simply not there to justify deploying one/two widebody to do the flight. There are a lot of Malaysians VFR/ students /Indian subcontinents pax heading to Down Under, the same can't be said for the other way. I blame Ministry of Tourism for doing a poor job since the late 2000s in attracting new waves of tourists. Transit market is there but compared to Singapore's transit hub status, KUL is left out in the cold. Also, Australian government strict immigration against Malaysian passport holders for past few years make Australia quite unappealing quite recently.

A decade earlier Qantas was also supposedly helped with MH's restructuring effort in 2012; when the then-embattled Australian carrier Qantas wanted to create a new premium joint-venture Asian airline with MH. However the plan collapsed spectacularly when both parties being unable to reach mutually agreeable commercial term. I think Qantas is just too jaded with KUL now. 

Edited by JuliusWong

4 hours ago, Craig said:

I just find it a bit insulting that QF serves MNL, CGK, BKK, SIN, DPS but not KUL. Is the cut that deep?

I feel the same too. Even JQ flies to SGN and HKT, but not KUL.

6 hours ago, Craig said:

Yeah KU finished end of October. The QF story is just incredible. They fly  all over ASEAN but avoid KUL. I really don’t get it. surely MNL and CGK are not premium destinations, and I’m sure visa requirements will be quite tough too!

I also don’t understand why KUL fuel operators are all scared of US sanctions? Surely we have petronas who can supply fuel to Mahan air?

they already fly to quite a few destinations including BKK and HKT - are the fuel operators there not using US companies?

I hope RJ will restart the KUL tag on… and it would be great to see IA coming back but with their new 787s!

4 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

I feel the same too. Even JQ flies to SGN and HKT, but not KUL.

JQ flew to KUL for a short period of time but I think they were not happy with the route's performance.

The funny thing is that D7 seems to be doing better than them on Malaysia to Australia routes. So the demand is there - just that the Aussie carriers seem to find it difficult to get their business.

3 hours ago, flee said:

JQ flew to KUL for a short period of time but I think they were not happy with the route's performance.

Yes I remember that. I had a booking with JQ on SYD-KUL that later got cancelled due to JQ stopped flying to KUL. They rerouted me to SIN via DRW. I tried to get them reimburse me for SIN-KUL but failed to hear from them. After several fail attempts, I wrote an email to Alan Joyce (JQ CEO at that time). I received a reply from their customer service the next day with the reimbursement 😁.

I remember the reimbursement incl a night accommodation in SIN was more than half of the amount I paid for my original ticket. Perhaps this is the reason why they don’t consider to reinstate service to KUL 😝

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen