MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

Talking about JFK-AMS, is there any chance for MH to restart New York route again, via AMS perhaps? Considering MH-KL relationship, it may work well.

Is the traffic between JFK-AMS worth the service? Do they have fifth freedom rights to carry people out of AMS?

I think SQ is not too bothered with the B744 as they are all due to be retired. They are more interested in comparing it with the B77W. So far they are convinced that the A380 is the right way to go and they never sell A380 seats at their discount price levels. A380 Load factors are above fleet average too.

Zurich went from double daily 77W to daily A380. Loads on A380 is better than 77W. Duh.... statistics... I am sure if they downgrade the double daily 77W to 772, the 772 loads will also be above fleet average.

Is the traffic between JFK-AMS worth the service? Do they have fifth freedom rights to carry people out of AMS?

The JFK-AMS thingy was not about self-loading cargo.

Zurich went from double daily 77W to daily A380. Loads on A380 is better than 77W. Duh.... statistics... I am sure if they downgrade the double daily 77W to 772, the 772 loads will also be above fleet average.

Yes, although statistics may not present the full picture, the SQ management has decided to deploy its equipment more efficiently. The bottom line will show the result of this efficiency and this has been demonstrated in SQ's strong Q2 2010 financials.

Edited by flee

Yes, although statistics may not present the full picture, the SQ management has decided to deploy its equipment more efficiently. The bottom line will show the result of this efficiency and this has been demonstrated in SQ's strong Q2 2010 financials.

No denying that. Just a nice spin to say that "A380 loads are better" when in fact "we could not fill up our double daily 77W". Not really apples to apples.

No denying that. Just a nice spin to say that "A380 loads are better" when in fact "we could not fill up our double daily 77W". Not really apples to apples.

OT: The A380 statistics show the operational truth of the matter but does not claim to show whole picture of SQ's operations on that part of the route network. That is why we have to look at more data to get the whole picture.

Everyone who knows SQ's history will know that SQ management protects its shareholders' funds jealously. It is not too bothered about how it looks in terms of prestige. SQ does not do things only to look good. It does things if it makes sense for the travelling public and also to increase the value of shareholders' investments. They have accepted that it is more profitable to move from B77W double daily to A380 daily. They can always restore the second flight if and when demand picks up. Well run airlines adjust their capacity according to demand. It is a normal day to day activity for their managers.

Yes of course. I was just wondering if self-loading cargo demand from AMS to JFK would encourage MH to return back to New York.

It crossed my mind, if MH would ever serve New York again, maybe they could try via AMS instead. They had tried via ARN and DXB (any others?) before and both were not very successful.

It crossed my mind, if MH would ever serve New York again, maybe they could try via AMS instead. They had tried via ARN and DXB (any others?) before and both were not very successful.

I'd say the EWR run from DXB was pretty successful, until EK started flying to JFK.

I'd say the EWR run from DXB was pretty successful, until EK started flying to JFK.

MH EWR route was never profitable :pardon:

There are about 6 daily flight between AMS and NYC. What is MH going to offer on AMS/EWR? 3 weekly flight? Will MH willing to keep 772 idling at EWR for evening departure? As MH doesn’t belong to any alliance in either AMS or EWR, how many O&A pax will choose MH?

:drinks:

Not exactly in terms of yields. MH was practically throwing silly fares to attract folks from the sub-continent to fly to EWR via DXB, and vice versa.

Some included the add-on to/from DXB - India on EK.

Just Maybe, KUL-ZRH-EWR or JFK may work well, after all; MH was ranked top three by the Swiss as preferred carrier out of Switzerland plus the fact that Swiss market is more "front" heavy compared to other continental Europe. But, to make it work, daily services is highly essential.

I miss the days when MH used to fly to Vienna and Zurich...

OT: The A380 statistics show the operational truth of the matter but does not claim to show whole picture of SQ's operations on that part of the route network. That is why we have to look at more data to get the whole picture.

Everyone who knows SQ's history will know that SQ management protects its shareholders' funds jealously. It is not too bothered about how it looks in terms of prestige. SQ does not do things only to look good. It does things if it makes sense for the travelling public and also to increase the value of shareholders' investments. They have accepted that it is more profitable to move from B77W double daily to A380 daily. They can always restore the second flight if and when demand picks up. Well run airlines adjust their capacity according to demand. It is a normal day to day activity for their managers.

Of course. So the management of SQ made a mistake in setting up double daily flights to ZRH. When they realized they can't fill their planes, they switched to A380 and claimed that it is because the A380 is more efficient than 77W. While SQ is quite good at adjusting supply to meet current demand, to say that the A380 is more efficient is misleading especially where Zurich is concerned. I am sure that there are other statistics that could prove this, I am just saying that statistics must always be taken in the right context.

..... statistics must always be taken in the right context.

Needless to reiterate about there being lies, damn lies and statistics I guess :p

Particularly when the PR spinmasters get involved :D

During the Q2 2010 result announcement today, MH made a strong indication that they might exercise the 2 option they have for the A332F. In fact, MH is currently in negotiation with Airbus regarding this matter for delivery by June 2012. MH also plans to lease 2 more B742F by September 2010 to strengthen MasKargo. Are we seeing more Southern Air freighter jumbos in the pipeline?

As speculated, MH exercised its 2 A332F option. MAS Kargo will now have 4 A332Fs in its fleet.

PARIS (Dow Jones)--Aircraft maker Airbus, a unit of European Aeronautic Defence And Space Co NV (EAD.FR) said Monday that Malaysia Airlines has placed a firm order for two more A330-200F freighters, following the conversion of two existing options. The latest contract increases the airline's firm orders for the type to four, all of which will be operated by the carrier's subsidiary MASkargo. By Paris Bureau, Dow Jones Newswires

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 20 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has placed a firm order with Airbus for two more A330-200F freighters following the conversion of two existing options.

The latest contract increases the airline's firm orders for the type to four,

all of which will be operated by the carrier's subsidiary, MASkargo, the

national airline said in a statement here Monday.

It also said that the aircraft would be powered by PW4000 engines from Pratt &

Whitney.

"We are confident that the A330-200F is set to become a game changer in the

mid-size freighter market," MASkargo Managing Director, Shahari Sulaiman said.

He said the aircraft would enable MASkargo to efficiently match capacity closely

to demand, on many medium lift sectors across its cargo network, and especially

those operating via intra Asia.

Meanwhile, Airbus' Chief Operating Officer Customers, John Leahy said that the

additional order underscores the increasing popularity of the new A330-200F as

it enters airline service.

"With this aircraft we are bringing new levels of efficiency to the freighter

market and are extremely pleased that MASkargo will be one of the early

operators of the type," he added.

The A330-200F is the latest addition to the highly successful A330 Family.

Offering the lowest operating costs in its size category, it is the only modern

mid-size, long haul, all-cargo aircraft capable of carrying 65 tonnes over 4,000

nautical miles (nm)/7,400 kilometres (km) or 70 tonnes over 3,200 nm/5,900km.

Looking majestic!

100921-MASKargoA330200F-01.jpg

Oh please, that ugly gully seam at wing root/fuselage junction is only supposed to be there on 1:400 diecasts :D

Hope neither Airbus nor MH decide to paint it on the real deal :)

Oh please, that ugly gully seam at wing root/fuselage junction is only supposed to be there on 1:400 diecasts :D

Hope neither Airbus nor MH decide to paint it on the real deal :)

Dont u worry. The real thing will also come with working retractable wheels instead of metal stands. And, yes - the cargo doors will open & close.

Oh in that case, I hope the diecast manufacturers remember to etch in the seams when they get round to making the model :pardon:

That goitred chin confers a very distinguished look imo ! :)