MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

Indeed it is! 6 rows in a 2x2x2 configuration, numbered rows 1,2,4,5,6,7 with 2 additional seats on the left (as row 8 ) for a total of 38 seats in C (but the 2 seats in row 8 are blocked - perhaps for crew?).

Even in 777, 2 seats in C are blocked for crew.

BTW, how to see the new map? Please...

Comparing to SQ A330 (285 seats) and 777-200ER (MH and SQ), 34" in Y (in MH new A333) is not possible, unless Business seats are the old recliner version. I'm just hoping I'm wrong :(

Edited by Johan Z

The KEY question is whether those 7 business class rows are located within doors 1 and 2 / front cabin. If they are - then expect a lousy J seat. Even SQ only has 5 rows within the similar space. (Forget about comparing with Oman Air's J seats on its A333 - that's a different league altogether.)

Anyway, after the below-expectations new J seats on the 738s with tight seat pitch, pneumatic seat controls etc, be prepared to be disappointed. It's just one row less than current config, if within just first cabin.

Of course, any - and I mean any new J seat - will be better than those red things currently labeled as J seats on the A333s. (Pity those flying red-eyes to PVG, ICN, DXB etc...)

On the Y seats, seems to be very similar to current lay-out. Just no last row 44 DEF-HK - probably taken up by extra galley space/ storage area etc. So, if J does not expand into area after door 2, then expect Y to have generous seat pitch like current config.

Edited by Mushrif A

Seat Map for the 333 is now updated. Configuration C36Y245.

Thanks for the info!

So now that we have the numbers:

MH's current A333 - 44J + 250Y = 294 seats

MH's new A333 - 38J + 245Y = 283 seats

SQ's new A333 - 30J + 255Y = 285 seats

Mushrif's comment is really worrisome. We need to see the seat map layout in graphical form ASAP to confirm whether MH will come out with a subpar new J cabin in favour of generous seat pitch in the new Y cabin, or a configuration that matches SQ's.

The seat map has been updated on MH's booking engine too. Seven rows in business, but it's not conclusive and does not show if all rows are in one cabin or otherwise. (Similarly, the seatmap of the MH 332 shows as if all the business class rows are in one cabin when they are in fact spread across two cabins.) Perhaps an MH insider can clarify on the actual layout on the new 333s.

If all 7 rows are in one cabin - then MH has gone below expectations - once again. I dont know what the decision-makers have been smoking or perhaps they've just left it to the bean counters to decide. I would like to be proven wrong.

Looking at the updated seatmap for the so-called "new" Y class, the first row - row 11 - seems to begin when the current row 11 (of teh "old" config.) begins and that economy cabin ends at row 28 - same as the current config. Row 29 is the exit row, next to door 3 and the beginning of the second Y cabin - same again as current config.

Hence, it does seem to suggest that MH cramps all 7 biz class rows between doors 1 & 2. Probably crappy seats again from a seat manufacturer's reject shop.

M.H. = Musnah Harapan!

Edited by Mushrif A

Comparing to SQ A330 (285 seats) and 777-200ER (MH and SQ), 34" in Y (in MH new A333) is not possible, unless Business seats are the old recliner version. I'm just hoping I'm wrong :(

No. It is very possible actually. 33"-34" of seat pitch in EY is probably here to stay.

Business class will probably be split into 2 cabins (like on the 772) and Economy seat pitch will most likely be reduced to 32" to accommodate that.

Airbus A330-323X CN 1219

Test Reggo F-WWYX

MH's new Airbus A333 should be testing soon!

How exciting! Can't wait to see it in the new livery. I'm also very curious about the cabin layout and the seats that they'll be using.

Why c/n 1229 will be A330-343X, and the rest are -323X?

Unlike Boeing, Airbus does not have customer codes. Airbus has a 3-digit designation as to what engines the particular aircraft has.

Second digit=engine manufacturer

0: General Electric

1: CFM

2: Pratt&Whitney

3: IAE

4: Rolls Royce

6: Engine Alliance

Third Digit=version of engine for this type of aircraft

However, all codes are not used on all the aircraft types.

A300/310: 0 & 2

A318: 1 & 2

A319/320/321: 1 & 3

A330: 0, 2, 4

A340-200/300: 1

A340-500/600: 4

A380: 4 & 6

For example, only the CFM56 engine is available for the A340-200/300, you can only have 1 as second digit: A340-311, A340-312, A340-313...

To further complicate things, Airbus has also add X and E to its aircraft especially A330 family. The E and X suffix behind newer built 330/340 families represent upgrades from baseline variants. These upgrades include avionics/systems but may not mean better performance in key areas as in higher MTOW/range or less fuel burn. Today, Airbus published key performance specs for any 343/333/332 are exactly as per those published for these variants upon their entry into service.

Some of these upgrades may still be performance-oriented though such as better hot-and-high takeoff distance, climb, cargo load balancing limits, etc. X means a higher gross weight, E is meant to be 'Enchanced' which I guess in addition to the higher gross weight there are a few other modifications to the aircraft.

Hello, this image is courtesy of Brian Egan, Marketing Manager for Malaysia Airlines here in Brisbane. I have been asking him about how the delivery of "our" (we're very possessive aren't we!) plane is going. Looking good at present, commencement of new service remains scheduled for 15-May.

Will keep the group updated if I hear anything. In the meantime, the mock-up of the livery is here:

5452852483_561809e5ef.jpg

Sorry the picture is a bit on the small side, but that's all I have at the moment.

Can't wait to see the unveilling of the seat features and configuration!

Edited by Lemuel Tay

I know about the coding system, but why RR instead of PW?

Sorry, now I get what you meant. I think there is some error. Planespotters makes mistake at times. Think MH will most probably will stick to PW, sticking to being the minority.

Hello, this image is courtesy of Brian Egan, Marketing Manager for Malaysia Airlines here in Brisbane. I have been asking him about how the delivery of "our" (we're very possessive aren't we!) plane is going. Looking good at present, commencement of new service remains scheduled for 15-May.

Will keep the group updated if I hear anything. In the meantime, the mock-up of the livery is here:

5452852483_561809e5ef.jpg

Sorry the picture is a bit on the small side, but that's all I have at the moment.

Can't wait to see the unveilling of the seat features and configuration!

Thanks for the pix. IMO, somehow I still hate the new livery. Sorry I know its just my opinion, please don't bomb me for it.

Even I don't like the new livery....i think this new livery looks better on the A330-300 compared to on the B737-800 ............would be nicer if they can add a dash of yellow too

Even I don't like the new livery....i think this new livery looks better on the A330-300 compared to on the B737-800 ............would be nicer if they can add a dash of yellow too

That would make it look very similar to Phillippine Airlines' scheme....

It is just fine as is...

That would make it look very similar to Phillippine Airlines' scheme....

It is just fine as is...

It is already looking like Philippine airlines now, albeit the previous livery.

The problem I have with the new livery is that it is too white! It needs more colour. The blue and red is really nice. They should've used more of it on the fuselage.

I reckon on A380, it would make the beast more hideous that it is now.

I agree with you on that one.

I don't think the A380 is a very attractive-looking plane at all! To me the A330 is the most beautiful looking plane out there today. My favourite used to be the A310.

Edited by Josh T