MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

When Airlines' CEOs Tweet on the Facebook Wall

i wonder if D7 axe route to mumbai and delhi? cause i cant seem to get any booking done beyond nov 2011. (but it's fine for other routes in india)

Nope, that is because the database will only open on 1 March:

AirAsia X Xtravaganza Sale for flights from 11 Nov 2011 onwards, goes live at midnight 1 March.

London, Paris, Seoul, Tokyo, Delhi, Mumbai, Melbourne, Perth, Gold Coast, Taipei, Hangzhou, Tianjin, Chengdu, Christchurch...

Having said that, it would not be surprising if D7 suddenly axes non performing routes. Their track record (and those of AK, QZ and FD) shows that they are ruthless if routes do not generate the required rate of return!

If I am not mistaken, their call center is outsourced.

ahaa that makes a lot of sense then.

so now AK distribution channel is purely for people with internet, and people with access to cities. Too bad for old folks who don't drive then. Must've been a negligible market segment for tony.

ahaa that makes a lot of sense then.

so now AK distribution channel is purely for people with internet, and people with access to cities. Too bad for old folks who don't drive then. Must've been a negligible market segment for tony.

Not necessarily. I'm sure a lot of their sales are through agents as well. When you consider those who really travel on Air Asia because of the low-cost factor, a majority of them might not even know how to use the internet anyway.

End of april we will stop doing sales through the call centre. We moving more service to web. So call centre will become onbsolete.

Perhaps obsolescence alluded to refer only to sales function, whingeing calls service to continue ? :p

Appointing Rafidah Aziz as chairperson sorta turn me off X. :nea:

They could have done their homework and concluded people of that sentiment comprise "a negligible market segment for tony" :p

Not sure if and when things don't work out in days to come they will be able to drop madam in manner they drop underperforming routes like hot potatoes though :D

Paradoxical.

We blame MH for continuing to operate non-profitable routes.

We blame D7/AK/FD/QZ for dropping non-profitable routes.

Anyone seen the latest earnings report between the two carriers? :pardon:

Not necessarily. I'm sure a lot of their sales are through agents as well. When you consider those who really travel on Air Asia because of the low-cost factor, a majority of them might not even know how to use the internet anyway.

exactly. these people used to call in and make reservations. now they cant anymore. so they go to travel agencies, ask for AK tickets, and since AK do not participate in any GDS (last i checked) they'll get charged the ticketing fee by the agents.

hence, this move is just about transferring fees back to the consumers. Instead of tony paying the callcenter operators, consumers now pay the travel agents for the same service.

but overall fare go up lah.

which is GOOD for the industry! :good:

Tony Fernandes Tweet:

Finalizing budget. Best budget airasia has done. Planning 5 year strategy meeting. 1st quarter looking good. All on forecast.Shows strength

D7 CEO Azran Osman-Rani Tweets:

RM1.5 billion for three A330-200s, with higher 238ton gross weight specification. Can fly to London direct, with less fuel.

going with more premium. 24BC + 264EY, and better per-seat economics

Now Tony Fernandes wants to be AirAsia's Biggest Loser:

Airasia having an internal biggest loser competition. 25 staff taking part. I weighed in at 95.4 kilos. This is what I need. Competition.

something to do with MOTW & fuel consumption?

Yeah, they should add a 20 kg excess weight charge on him! But lets not give him ideas lest AirAsia actually introduce this and start weighing pax as well! ;)

Yeah, they should add a 20 kg excess weight charge on him! But lets not give him ideas lest AirAsia actually introduce this and start weighing pax as well! ;)

Actually they should start charging fat men two seats instead of one. I've read some american or is it european carriers have started this. Have anyone ever had to sit center next to two burly men (or women) in an LCC? i know i have.

Actually they should start charging fat men two seats instead of one. I've read some american or is it european carriers have started this. Have anyone ever had to sit center next to two burly men (or women) in an LCC? i know i have.

Southwest did it. There was a case last year when they asked Kevin Smith, the director/actor to take another flight because he doesn't fit the requirement. Then the media brouhaha exploded (but then again during the same time his movie Cop Out was released, so some cynics said he's trying to get some cheap publicity).

TF hinting that New York might be AirAsia X new route:

That heavy. And I've lost some. Prize is 2 free tickets to new york. All expenses paid. Maybe a new airasia x route.

More from the AirAsia CEO:

Off to singapore for discussions with singapore goverment. More exciting news coming. Sales for 1st quarter looking great.

Looks like AirAsia Philippines is on schedule:

tremendous competition to be a pilot in airasia. In phillipines 600 tunred up for interviews.

I bet their cabin crew interview will draw even more turnout with very serious 'competition'. Uncle Tony could possibly conduct a Miss Philippines pageant at the interview itself. The current Miss Philippines Universe who placed 5th at the Miss Universe 2010 is a/former Cebu Pacific stewardess.

Looks like the lack of capacity at KLIA's LCCT is going to benefit Singapore Changi. TF tweeting:

Great meetings in singapore. Changi airport very supportive. Announcement on singapore expansion soon. Very positive on airasia bottom line

Is he planning Singapore AirAsia? But it's good though. Hopefully should the plan proceeds and the gap between KUL and SIN increases to more than 8 million passengers as recorded in 2010 this year, it should serve as a lesson to MAHB's lack of forward planning and speed to cater for AK's growth.

Looks like the lack of capacity at KLIA's LCCT is going to benefit Singapore Changi. TF tweeting:

Oh my!! AirAsia is painting the whole SEA's skies red. Kudos to AK if the focus now shift to Changi. But it will be 'in-you-face' to MAHB and Malaysia Government. Will we see D7 competing with SQ, Jetstar, QF for Kangaroo route? This seems possible. :rolleyes: :mellow:

Actually they have no choice if they want to expand. You can whine and whine for a while but if it falls on deaf ears, you got to do something to help yourself.

MAHB is a GLC and it moves very very slowly. So AK has no choice but to expand their operations overseas.

Is he planning Singapore AirAsia?

I think that this is highly likely, in view of the fact that Singapore has many open skies agreements with other countries worldwide. He may even be thinking on a model similar to JetStar's and do long haul with it as well. Now, an airline that is a hybrid of AirAsia and AirAsia X would be very exciting to see, wouldn't it?

Another thing to note is that the VietJet JV is also suffering from governmental red tape, much like what they see in Malaysia. So this Singapore "announcement" may be an insurance policy to cover further delays with Vietnam.

No doubt that Air Asia can go further in Changi ... much easier to do business there.