MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

I wonder how Airasia X will cope, with 7 additional A333s (3 already delivered) coming in this year.

I think Airasia may be able to divert AK bound deliveries to Airasia India. This year long delay has serious commercial impact and is delaying AK's expansion as well - I wonder if AK will ask for compensation from MAHB?

A secondary effect is that Malindo Air may gain some competitive advantage by flying from the MTB. So lets see how they can take advantage of this.

Isn't Thai AirAsia setting up long haul arm? Maybe those aircraft can go there.

Still waiting for Thai govt. approval. No AOC yet.

The new LCCT is anything but low cost hence name changed to KLIA2 :rolleyes:

I know this sounds petty but I don't get the name KLIA2, that just implies there are 2 KL International Airports. Why not call it MTB2 or Main Terminal 2 or anything like that now that it doesn't seem low cost anymore?

Perhaps Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, won't that be easier but knowing the trend here, they try really hard to be different yet end up being confusing :nea:

Design, poor soil conditions blight KL’s new budget airport

JUNE 21, 2013

Poor building design and soil conditions is the cause of repeated delays for Kuala Lumpur's new RM4 billion budget airport, which has doubled in cost and is now only expected to be open in May 2014, according to The Edge Review.

The regional digital magazine's June 21 edition reported that construction industry executives now estimate that the cost of the KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2) project could exceed RM4.5 billion by the time it is completed next to KLIA, which opened for business in 1998.

MORE: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/design-poor-soil-conditions-blight-kls-new-budget-airport/

Previous naming convention shown that our obsession about naming everything sentral. Even when geographically inaccurate. pudu sentral, kepong sentral, melaka sentral, etc. Thankfully MAHB didnt subscribe to that or else we'll see KLIA sentral name instead of KLIA2.

What is planned for the other side of the terminal? Cargo?

MAHB lodges 212 reports against the contractors of KLIA2

PETALING JAYA: A total of 212 non-compliance reports (NCR) has been lodged by Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) against the contractors of KLIA2 for unsatisfactory works that must to be rectified before the airport is handed over by April 30 next year or further penalties will be imposed against them.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/6/24/business/13275076&sec=business

Just noticed that there's another new traffic controller at KLIA2, is the airport really need 2 control tower??

I suspect it is more for monitoring ground movements - but they could also operate klia2 like a seperate airport, if need be.

Remember, klia2's capacity is 45m passengers. So there will be lots of aircraft movements. The existing tower may be overwhelmed if it is going to manage both terminals and three runways.

Just noticed that there's another new traffic controller at KLIA2, is the airport really need 2 control tower??

It wasn't really hidden for one to just notice it. I suppose you haven't been to MTB@KLIA for a while?

The new tower is way too big & tall for just ground control.

Edited by Mushrif A

The new tower is way too big & tall for just ground control.

So it could replace the existing tower - the old tower may have equipment that is pretty old by now. The new tower may have the most up to date equipment installed.

I was made to understand that the main reason for the KLIA2 is due to nil line of sight from the current tower for aircrafts ground movements, other reasons also valid

So it could replace the existing tower - the old tower may have equipment that is pretty old by now. The new tower may have the most up to date equipment installed.

Not only the equipment, but the competency of the people manning it as well.. Those with attitude of "ingat kami tak ada kerja lain ke?" also need to improve :)

I was made to understand that the main reason for the KLIA2 is due to nil line of sight from the current tower for aircrafts ground movements, other reasons also valid

Also as a backup control tower..MAHB mention before.

Perhaps the retails shops can file a complain and ask for compensation to cover their cost which have already incurred whether it open or not. These people would have taken out monies to stock up and does all the interior deco etc.,and the longer it stayed closed, the more they tend to loose in terms of revenue. KLIA2 perhaps will accomodate the complain by giving them same amount of months rental free. Any delay in the project within a reasonable time frame would be acceptable, but 1 year is just too much a deviation.

Looks like travellers on budget airlines would have to contend with 3rd.world standards facilities for the time being.

How about grabbing a Prada before departing on your RM0 flight?

With the savings from the cheaper ticket price, it is easier to afford a Prada.

YTL in talks with Spanish train manufacturers for KLIA2

YTL Corp Bhd is in talks with Spanish manufacturers to buy up to four

train sets worth some RM150 million to serve the Kuala Lumpur

International Airport 2 (klia2), sources said.

"Trains supplied by Siemens cost 30 per cent more than its competitors

and YTL wants to keep spending low. It is sourcing for cheaper trains,"

More at http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/ytl-in-talks-with-spanish-train-manufacturers-for-klia2/

Yes, Siemens trains are more expensive, but they are reliable. This contributed to the high on time performance of the KLIA Ekspres and KLIA Transit fleet. This is also the reason why MRT Corp opted for Siemens for their rolling stock for the Sungai Buloh - Kajang line.

Buy from Spanish company, put siemens price on invoice and hey presto, somebody can pocket the difference of 30%!