MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H C Chai

AirAsia to cancel KCH - MFM

Hotels operators like Sheraton, Novotel, Tune, etc don’t normally own the property but franchised and operate for the property owners. Very often, these properties in Sarawak and Sabah belong to people in power and deep pocket. Construction of hotels and convention centre doesn’t necessary reflect demand but often for prestige e.g. Putrajaya.

Sabah and Sarawak may be the two most resources rich states in the country but after years of mismanagement, most of the wealth are in the hand of few people. Hence, most people on the street have low disposable income and resulted poor demand for air travel.

:drinks:

Couldn't agree more with your analysis again, KK Lee! :drinks:

Time to set up an East Malaysian airline :pardon:

We need one to serve the BIMP-EAGA zone :p

but BKI-BWN vv. 3 times a day. if not mistaken. morning, evening and mid-night.

Why not they just take AK from Brunei if they choose to fly from MYY? I think AK serves Brunei as well right? Just wondering...

Couldn't agree more with your analysis again, KK Lee! :drinks:

Yes, SV, me too! KK Lee, you've got very good analysis there!

Not again, please !

Best effort so far was Saega - where is it nowadays ?! :)

What is it about Saega? Mind to elaborate more please? Thanks in advance!

Why not they just take AK from Brunei if they choose to fly from MYY? I think AK serves Brunei as well right? Just wondering...

maybe i'm outdated. haha...

What is it about Saega? Mind to elaborate more please? Thanks in advance!

You are aware of Saega Airlines from years back ?

Set up by none other than T/S TPK - of Ekran and Global Upline fame ?

Supposedly to act as vehicle to eventually amalgate Sabah Air and Hornbill Skyways into single all conquering east Malaysian airline

Tasked to service BIMP-EAGA airspace, and beyond, to fly in tourists by the plane load all over the place

Did not work out too well though

So, back to petak satu (for now) ! :)

Supposedly to act as vehicle to eventually amalgate Sabah Air and Hornbill Skyways into single all conquering east Malaysian airline

Tasked to service BIMP-EAGA airspace, and beyond, to fly in tourists by the plane load all over the place

At that time, there's no such thing as internet booking. They didn't use travel agents to distribute their inventory.

A few prop planes (I think). Nobody knew where to book, where they flew to/from, schedules, how much their airfares were, no proper marketing..... doomed to fail. And the unapealing name 'Saega'... what kind of name is that? (sounds like 'waste family' in Hakka) <_>

Edited by Andi C

but BKI-BWN vv. 3 times a day. if not mistaken. morning, evening and mid-night.

So it really is 3 flights a day on certain days now between BKI/BWN ? I did see one BI flight departing back to BWN from BKI at 12.55am on the information screen at KKIA when coming down from my flight last Saturday. BI must be doing good with their sixth freedom traffic here huh ?

BI is also reducing flights to KCH to 2x per week in October. :huh:

At least its temporary, I hope.

Not really..coz they change the timetable...after 27 Oct flights will once again over nite in KCH leaving at 9.15am in the morning...in on Mon, out on Tue morning...in Thu out Fri and in on Sat out on Sun... as for QZ Bali-KCh..int suspended...not terminated...and AK KCH-MFM is also temporary...at least according to the crew at KCH...something about changing the route and plane...remember when this route was 1st launch? It was only 3X weekly...but now its daily...accoring to ground crew...at least last night's flight was full...guess we just have to brace ourseleves and bare with it for a while...

And the unapealing name 'Saega'... what kind of name is that? (sounds like 'waste family' in Hakka) <_>

Hah hah ! :rofl:

New perspective :D

SAEAGA Airline had in their fleet 1 DeHavilland Dash8-200, 1 DeHavilland Dash8-300 and 1 CRJ 200...Sabah and Sarawak both had 40% stakes in it while EKRAN Berhad had 20%...They operated mostly BKI-MZU and BTU-KUL...IATA code was S8 (Sure "Fatt" as in sure prosper...more like sure BAnkrupt!!)

"SA" for Sabah and Sarawak and "EAGA" for the EAGA growth area....thus SAEAGA...

Pardon...IATA code was S5...my mistake....sorry....

9M-EKA De Havilland Canada DHC-8-315B Dash 8

9M-EKB De Havilland Canada DHC-8-202 Dash 8

9M-EKC Canadair CL-600-2B19 Regional Jet CRJ-100ER

11901_1062885197.jpg

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

SAEAGA Airline had in their fleet 1 DeHavilland Dash8-200, 1 DeHavilland Dash8-300 and 1 CRJ 200...Sabah and Sarawak both had 40% stakes in it while EKRAN Berhad had 20%...They operated mostly BKI-MZU and BTU-KUL...IATA code was S8 (Sure "Fatt" as in sure prosper...more like sure BAnkrupt!!)

"SA" for Sabah and Sarawak and "EAGA" for the EAGA growth area....thus SAEAGA...

Sorry but where is MZU, a check in google it's somewhere in India?

BC Tam, thanks for your information!

Welcome Chan, good opportunity to jog one's old memory !

Kenneth, I believe the @40% Sabah & Sarawak shares would have been via injection of Sabah Air and Hornbill Skyways into Saeaga. Fact that these two entities still remain independant to this day proves that things did not go as planned

BTW, anyone aware that Sabah Air had recently undergone an ownership change ? There was a write up about it in the papers recently

Edited by BC Tam

SAEAGA: very nice colourscheme :blink:

Based on AK route map on AK website, it showed MFM is only connect with KUL & BKK.

Based on Wikipedia, the terminated routes originating from MFM as below:

* Malaysia

o Johor

+ Johor Bahru (Senai International Airport) --> Macau (Macau International Airport)

o Sabah

+ Kota Kinabalu (Kota Kinabalu International Airport) --> Macau (Macau International Airport)

o Sarawak

+ Kuching (Kuching International Airport) --> Macau (Macau International Airport)

But the schedules stated:

Johor Bahru (JHB) - Macau (MFM)

AK 610 07:00 10:40 2 4 6 2008-10-28 2009-01-31

AK 610 07:00 10:40 2 4 6 2009-02-03 2009-03-28

Macau (MFM) - Johor Bahru (JHB)

AK 611 11:05 14:40 2 4 6 2008-10-28 2009-01-31

AK 611 11:05 14:40 2 4 6 2009-02-03 2009-03-28

Kota Kinabalu (BKI) - Macau (MFM)

AK 510 07:05 09:55 1 3 5 7 2008-09-08 2008-10-24

AK 510 07:15 10:05 DAILY 2008-10-26 2009-03-28

Macau (MFM) - Kota Kinabalu (BKI)

AK 511 13:10 16:00 2 4 6 2008-09-09 2008-10-25

AK 511 19:30 22:20 DAILY 2008-10-26 2009-03-28

Kuching (KCH) - Macau (MFM)

AK 488 09:00 12:45 2 4 6 2008-09-09 2008-10-25

AK 488 15:20 19:05 DAILY 2008-10-26 2009-03-28

Macau (MFM) - Kuching (KCH)

AK 489 10:35 14:20 1 3 5 7 2008-09-08 2008-10-24

AK 489 10:35 14:20 DAILY 2008-10-26 2009-03-28

And clearly I try to book, but 'failure to identify flight' message came out.

Is it true AK will axed MFM route from BKI, KCH and JHB?

I believe KCH will suffer if termination being implemented.

Edited by tafe isa

Talks on suspended AirAsia flights from Kuching

KUCHING: Sarawak’s Tourism Minister Datuk Michael Manyin will meet AirAsia Bhd group chief executive Datuk Tony Fernandes to discuss reinstatement of the Kuching-Bali and Kuching€“Macau flights.

Manyin, who expects tough talks with Fernandez, said that AirAsia suspended the routes due to low passenger load.

“They have asked us to assure that passenger load would be 60% to 70% if we want the routes to be reinstated.

How can we give the assurance? We were given only two months to market the Kuching-Bali route introduced in May and suspended in August,” he said.

The Kuching-Macau flight will be suspended on Oct 26.

Manyin proposed that AirAsia not fly directly but have a stopover on the return flights of both routes.

He said that AirAsia could use smaller aircraft on the return flights.

“The outbound flights do not pose problems. However, the return flights have low passenger load,” he said.

Meanwhile, Manyin said the state was unlikely to achieve its target of four million tourist arrivals this year due to global economic turmoil.

People may just decide to stay at home,” he said. - Bernama

Come on lar, do your homework lar... You teach TF how to use a smaller aircraft lor... Different aircraft for outbound and inbound...

How do you expect people to do something in your favor when you can't guarantee people something in return? Cry?

And you mentioned "people may just decide to stay at home", are you slapping your own face?

...Different aircraft for outbound and inbound...

cut away part of the fuselage when at MFM. and become A319 or A318 on return flight? :rofl:

Come on lar, do your homework lar... You teach TF how to use a smaller aircraft lor... Different aircraft for outbound and inbound...

How do you expect people to do something in your favor when you can't guarantee people something in return? Cry?

And you mentioned "people may just decide to stay at home", are you slapping your own face?

Hmm...politicians.

Come on lar, do your homework lar... You teach TF how to use a smaller aircraft lor...
i think we should ask TF to consider to use this aircraft,surely those 2 routes will be 100% full and majority of the pax are MW members.. :rofl: :rofl:

Just read on another forum....some guy was told that his MFM-KCH flight was cancelled...just a few days ago he got another email...

OMG...what happened to Air Asia...I received this email:

Dear XXX,

We’re sorry, you’ve been misinformed.

Please ignore the previous email in regards to the flight cancellation. The misinformation was caused by an error that has occurred in our systems. We assure you that your flight is valid unless advised otherwise in the near future. If you need to verify the status of your flight, please contact our Call Centre.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Call Centre Details

Operating Hours: 8 am – 9 pm

Telephone numbers: 03 - 8775 4000

Hunting line: 03 - 8660 4554

Thank you.

Best Regards,

AirAsia

It was posted in the AK KCH-MFM thread..so im hoping and keeping my fingers cross that they dont axe the route...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Does anyone know for sure if Air Asia had stopped operating on the BKI-MFM route?

I have booked my flights on 8 Jan 2009 from BKI to MFM. I have not received any email or what-so-ever regarding change of routing. :help:

Does anyone know for sure if Air Asia had stopped operating on the BKI-MFM route?

I have booked my flights on 8 Jan 2009 from BKI to MFM. I have not received any email or what-so-ever regarding change of routing. :help:

If you check their booking engine, flights between BKI and MFM have been zeroed out. You might want to give Air Asia a call soon ...