MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Charenjit Gill

Kota Kinabalu International Airport to open tomorrow

KOTA KINABALU: The RM1.4bil makeover of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport is one step closer to completion – the new main terminal will become operational tomorrow.

Malaysia Airports senior general manager Datuk Azmi Murad said operations at the existing terminal would be transferred to the new RM720mil building at 12.01am.

He said the new Terminal 1 is capable of handling up to 3,200 passengers per hour during peak periods as it has 64 check-in counters for international and domestic flights as well as 17 aircraft parking bays.

Azmi noted that elements indigenous to Sabah had been built into the interior of the terminal with the design of column heads inspired by the wakid or traditional baskets used by the Kadazandusun and Murut communities.

“Ethnic patterns of the Rungus and Bajau communities have also been incorporated into the way the floor tiles were laid out,” he told a media briefing at the new terminal building yesterday.

He said the old terminal that had been used since the 1980s would be demolished and rebuilt by mid-2009. It will be integrated with the new building, doubling the floor space to more than 100,000 sq m and be used mainly for domestic arrivals and departures.

Azmi said 4.3 million passengers used the airport last year, making it one of the busiest after KL International Airport. In comparison, the number of passengers passing through the Kuching and Penang airports last year was about three million.

For this year, Malaysia Airports was expecting up to 4.6 million passengers would pass through Kota Kinabalu International Airport, which has the capacity of handling up to nine million passengers annually.

“Going by an average growth of between 5% and 8% in passenger volume annually, we expect the terminal to reach its capacity in about eight to 10 years,” Azmi said, adding that there was still room for expansion.

The airport's redevelopment also included the construction of a low-cost carrier terminal that opened last year and the extension of the runway to 3,780m and a full-length taxiway scheduled to be completed next year.

I was on my way home and surprisingly another dual carriageway linking Petagas and Kepayan had already been used by traffic, thus minimizing on the traffic on the road. I can see the new KKIA T1 new building looks stunning in the late evening. Tomorrow is the day where

Sabahans will be proud of, something that will be in Malaysian Aviation history. :drinks:

I'll be operating MH 2121 at 0700 tomorrow so I should be among the first to use the new terminal. :)

Captain, my friend Clarence is coming to KK as well, not sure he will be in your flight or not. By the way, more pictures please on the 1st day..you're one of our hope. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to view the photos of the new airport. Please guys from the east, snapped some photos and share with us. :yahoo:

I suppose Captain should be in KKIA T1 at this hour and busy with the shots. :rolleyes:

I hope not, he should be at the 'climb' phase now, if not cruising already ! :p

for not off-tracking BKI spotting thread, i decided to post my pixes of T1 to this thread.: :drinks:

at the traffic light from Jalan Lintas

DSC_8330.jpg

the road heading to the terminal

DSC_8331.jpg

view of the steel-structured terminal from the Carpark

DSC_8339.jpg

nearer view of the terminal level 1, Arrival

Left

DSC_8343.jpg

right

DSC_8342.jpg

will post more in the noon. :drinks:

p/s: didn't do much editing on the pixes, so sorry for any bad pix. :sorry:

wahhhhhhhhhhh :yahoo: ......... sam , thanks alot :clapping:

btw , saw ur car at one of pic :p , can't wait to see more pics :yahoo:

siok siok

Arrgghh..I really envy my youngest bro who will be flying to BKI (T-1) next week! <_>

I suppose Captain should be in KKIA T1 at this hour and busy with the shots. :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, short transit and I missed the shots.... :(

Captain Radzi,

Did you make it as 'first flight out' after all ? :)

It was in the papers today that the originally scheduled first flight out was delayed by an hour or so, MH2121 was something like second in line or something no ? :)

Not sure if any delay ahead, but definitely NOT the first as there were others taxiing out before me.

Capt, i'm sure that you can have some nice shots of the terminal in near future!!! :drinks:

Simon, negative, NO OBSERVATION DECK! KCH also far better than BKI. :cray:

continue with the location map...

DSC_8353.jpg

some random shots of level 1

DSC_8347.jpg

DSC_8346.jpg

the clock mounted on the pillar

DSC_8349.jpg

a temporary staircase??

DSC_8351.jpg

inside shots

DSC_8354.jpg

the Arrival Hall

DSC_8439.jpg

view of level 1 from level 2

DSC_8373.jpg

Level 2, Airlines and Custom office.

Royal Brunei, no board yet.

DSC_8362.jpg

Dragon Air

DSC_8363.jpg

Asiana, is that something to do with their tradition by put some 'dried fish' and candle?

DSC_8365.jpg

Korean Air, love their Blue-ish office!

DSC_8366.jpg

i missed MASWings also MAS office. :D

public phone, no longer Telekom? and the black stick mounted on top of the phone is antenna?

DSC_8359.jpg

and some landscape

DSC_8379.jpg

will continue with level 3 later. :drinks:

I was at the new KKIA new T1, surprisingly the it was quiet and a friend of mine who arrived yesterday afternoon said that the airport is still dusty.

I was at the new KKIA new T1, surprisingly the it was quiet and a friend of mine who arrived yesterday afternoon said that the airport is still dusty.

those are forgivable, give them some time lar...

okay, shots of Level3

all passenger are greeted by this banner

DSC_8404.jpg

the TV

DSC_8357.jpg

DSC_8360.jpg

check-in island A to D

for foreign airline?

DSC_8384.jpg

MH

DSC_8386.jpg

empty

DSC_8387.jpg

still work-in-progress

DSC_8388.jpg

some shots of the lamp post and pillar

DSC_8383.jpg

DSC_8391.jpg

M

DSC_8397.jpg

departure hall, which make me feel like Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok, beside of the "tinted? blured?" glass

DSC_8399.jpg

DSC_8400.jpg

DSC_8401.jpg

random shots

DSC_8403.jpg

DSC_8435.jpg

outdoor

we can do some small spotting session from here

DSC_8414.jpg

clear view for Bay1 (as usual, the post came in package. <_>

DSC_8419.jpg

DSC_8425.jpg