I had a browse at the AK and D7 destinations from KUL and wonder why AK or D7 do not serve these destinations:
1. Haikou - understood there was a fight with MAVCOM so AK dropped it because it pissed-off?
2. Kathmandu - understandably there was a fight with the local partner and Nepali regulators on landing fees/airport charges so AK and D7 dropped it because it pissed-off.
3. Mumbai - this is really weird. Is there a bilateral restriction?
4. Surabaya - why only QZ serves this route but not AK?
5. Xiamen - thought this is a pretty big Chinese city.
On the flip side, what is so special about Kochi that everyone (AK, MH and OD) serve it? I could only think of an incentive by the airport/local government.
1) Dropping a destination because the airline is pissed off is rather myopic. Mavcom wants to prevent predatory pricing (as implied on the news article you posted)
2) It's bilateral restriction. MH/OD have already used 24 out of the 28 available weekly rights available.
3) Indeed it is
Everybody loves COK but only one loves PUS