MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jani

MAS Joins oneworld!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airlines-to-join-oneworld-alliance?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper.

Finally! This is great news for MH. Really out of the blue.

So many questions to be asked.. Will BA serve KUL? Will Qantas move operations from SIN?

Exciting times..

ps: Hope nobody minds I started a new thread, sure deserves one.

Edited by jani

I'm glad MH is finally joining something. I doubt BA will serve KUL if QF has no intention to shift its operations from SIN. QF and BA invested tonnes of $$$ in facilities in SIN. The renovation for lounge cost them SGD10 million so I don't think they will shift their operations just because MH is joining OW. Also QF has interline agreement with 3K in SIN so I doubt QF will move.

Its about time.......now since I'm based in Pen n I travel on CX more than on MH....wonder when I can utilise MH lounge as it is tons better than CX....or will CX close its lounge in Pen ?

Since I have both Marco Polo and Enrich, does anyone know if I can transfer my Enrich miles over to Asia Miles ?

Congratulations to MH on their entry into ONEWORLD. I guess that this is the only logical alliance to join as it is the best fit.

Now plane spotters can look forward to MH aircraft spotting the ONEWORLD livery. Will the A333 or A380 be the first aircraft to be in this livery?

Wondering whether it will be more expensive to redeem flights once the loyalty programme is standardized with the other partner airlines...

That's great news!! :good: Completely caught me by surprise. As I've said before, it made the most sense for MH to join OneWorld. :drinks:

Does this mean that the rumoured QF-LCC is going to be Firefly? Other than that it's fantastic news that MH is going to be in oneworld!

Malaysian Airlines Systems Bhd said it will review its long-standing relationship with KLM after agreeing to join the Oneworld alliance.

KLM, a brand of Air France-KLM, is part of the rival SkyTeam alliance of carriers.

Malaysia Airlines Chief Executive Officer Tengku Azmil Zahruddin spoke to reporters in Singapore today. -- Bloomberg

Qantas, Malaysia Airlines to build ties, says Alan Joyce

QANTAS will sponsor Malaysia Airlines's entry into the oneworld alliance and aims to forge closer links with the Kuala Lumpur-based airline as another way of boosting its market share in Asia.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said in Singapore today that the airline had been talking to MAS for some time and would work closely with both the airline and oneworld's management team to make the changes necessary for MAS to join the alliance. The process is expected to take 18 months.

Mr Joyce also said the Qantas would continue with its Singapore operations but the new alliances created opportunities for both airlines.

“I think it opens up opportunities for Qantas going forward," Mr Joyce said yesterday.

“We still will have big operation in Singapore - Singapore is a very big local-origin and destination market for us and a big market in Europe.

“But we are very keen as part of Malaysian’s entry into oneworld to talk about how we can co-operate in the Malaysian and South-East Asian markets. And that dialogue will continue. We think there is a lot of opportunity for us to work together."

Asked about rumours that Qantas was planning to start a full-service airline in Singapore and how this might be affected by the Malaysia Airlines partnership, Mr Joyce said: “There are no plans for any new airlines at this stage, so we’re looking at all our opportunities and the Malaysian partnership is a great opportunity for Qantas to recover its market share in Asia by providing more options for our customers."

From The Australian

Official oneworld announcement:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=25793

(Oops Jani beat me to it!)

Glad to see it happening. I guess they were frustrated by AF actively blocking their attempts to join Skyteam (if the rumours are to be believed), and anyway I reckon oneworld is a better fit for an airline of MH's calibre. Sorry, Pieter C!

This then creates a dilemma for me personally. I've been a loyal QF traveller up until recently when they devalued QFF Platinum benefits. Being based in Australia I like to credit to an Australia-based FFP as the status benefits come in handy for domestic flights. I got a status match with Virgin Australia to Velocity Gold, as I wanted to support the competition and liked what I was seeing with their re-brand and moves upmarket, and was looking forward to greater long haul flying with MAS as they are a Velocity FF partner. I've really enjoyed the few times I've flown MAS and their Business Companion fares to North Asia and Europe are unbeatable value. Now that they're joining oneworld, it'll probably mean severing ties with DJ in favour of QF. That means I'll be crawling back to QFF red-faced with my tail between my legs as I'll want to maintain oneworld Emerald status for use on MAS. I have no more excuse not to fly MAS now that they're actually in an alliance, what's more oneworld! :p

Hope y'all still remember me. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Glad to hear the news that MH is joining Oneworld.

Will we see one of the MH birds painted with Oneworld livery? Can't wait to that day!

Congratulations MH!!! I eat every single word I posted recently on the discussion on MH's membership at Skyteam ... I must say that given the very different corporate culture at MH and oneowrld airlines such as BA, QF and CX, I was sure oneworld was not the alliance for MH. But now, not only have I been proven wrong but Qantas is the sponsor for Malaysia Airlines' entry into oneworld.

You can certain say that these make strange bed-fellows but today, nobody is complaining.

I hope that this brings great improvements to Malaysia Airlines and KLIA's hub ambitions. It perhaps might also mean that Qantas might locate its Asian subsidiary in KLIA ... who knows right?

This is one time I am happy to be proven wrong.

KC Sim

Hopefully MH will bring their act together to improve their cabin product when they join oneworld.

Maybe MH will change their mind and bring A380 to HKG!

Wow!!! I woke up to this piece of great news!! Congrats to MH and oneworld!!

Aviation industry is sure getting interesting with the slaughter of Emirates and the likes. Wonder how much change to Enrich this time after standardisation?? hmmm...

Great start to the week!! And to my uni exam month as well!! Fingers crossed!!

Aviation industry is sure getting interesting with the slaughter of Emirates and the likes. Wonder how much change to Enrich this time after standardisation?? hmmm...

I doubt there'd be many changes unless they sign a JSA with QF or someone else. For instance in the recent AA/BA/IB JSA, all 3 carriers had to change their programs and fare structures to match each other. Alliance agreements are more about marketing than anything else.

After signing the master oneworld agreement, they will have to negotiate with each oneworld member individually on reciprocal FF mileage and status accumulation so Enrich members can start earning and redeeming miles and status on other oneworld carriers according to a mutually agreed structure, and vice versa.

oneworld has 3 elite tiers - Ruby (Enrich Silver), Sapphire (Enrich Gold), Emerald (Enrich Platinum). Would argue that Enrich is already more closely aligned to oneworld than some of the current members like BA which only have 2 tiers.

Operationally, they might also develop greater synegies with OW members which might mean severing existing ties with KL, AZ etc in favour of OW members. There is usually a minimum level of codesharing alliance members have to maintain with one another. But it isn't uncommon for airlines to maintain arrangements with carriers in other alliances, like AF and QF. So unless QF or BA starts flying to KUL, it is fair to say that existing codeshares with KL on the Kangaroo route should continue for a bit.

Interesting times ahead!

Edited by Keith T

Thumbs up for MH for now able to expand and explore more routes and Thumbs up for OneWorld for welcoming MH for it's one of the best airlines with greatest service of all! :good: