MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Firefly To Have More Destinations From November

April 23, 2008 21:37 PM

Firefly To Have More Destinations From November

SUBANG, April 23 (Bernama) - Firefly Sdn Bhd will fly to more destinations after it takes delivery of five new ATR 72-500 turbo-prop aircraft from November this year, managing director Eddy Leong said Wednesday.

The new routes are Penang to Banda Aceh (Indonesia) and Subang to Johor Baru, Kerteh, Medan and Pekan Baru (Indonesia), and Koh Samui (Thailand).

At present, Firefly flies from its main hub in Penang to Subang, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bharu, Langkawi, and Koh Samui and Phuket (Thailand).

From Subang, it flies to Penang, Langkawi, Kota Bharu and Kuala Terengganu.

Speaking at the first anniversary celebrations of Firefly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) at Terminal 3 here, he said over the medium and longer term, Firefly would fly intra-Sabah and Sarawak destinations to complement the services provided by MAS and MASWings and BIMP-EAGA (Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia the Philippines -- East Asean Growth Area).

Also present at the celebrations was MAS managing director Datuk Idris Jala.

Besides focusing on the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT) areas, Leong said Firefly was also eyeing destinations like Seletar in Singapore and Batam in Indonesia.

As for services to Seletar, he said, it would not be from primary points like Langkawi but secondary points like Ipoh or Melaka.

He also said that Firefly felt that Johor Bharu was a destination with plenty of potential.

Leong said Firefly was experiencing many repeat customers because of its safe, efficient, convenient and affordable concept.

He added that an increasing number of people in Peninsular Malaysia were getting accustomed to flying in turbo-prop aircraft although those in Sabah and Sarawak were already familiar with such airplanes.

Firefly will take delivery of another five ATR 72-500 aircraft, which can seat up to 72 passengers, next year. It will have an option to acquire six aircraft in 2010 and four in 2011.

ATR is a joint venture between EADS, which manufactures the Airbus aircraft, and Alenia Aeronautica.

-- BERNAMA

why they want to fly to Kerteh.. since they already using Kuala Terengganu Airport????

it's mean FY will fly to both airport in same state?

anyway Happy Birthday FireFly

Edited by M. Sofian H.

why they want to fly to Kerteh.. since they already using Kuala Terengganu Airport????

I think this is good news for the employees of Petronas, ExxonMobil and other oil-related industries in the Kerteh area.

Looks like they are planning to restart SZB-JHB. Hope this route will stay permantly.

Also do they plan to fly JHB-KBR...??? :p :P :p :pardon: :pardon: :pardon:

This is good news! Thank you FY.

I sell my recycle items to the recycle centre in Kempas. But I still have to locate someone who willing to accept plastics. Seems like no one is interested!

hehe, pressure now on AK.

FY fly SZB-BKI-SZB Pleasssseee~~~ with sugar on top.... :lol:

Jump from AK to FY if they do.

Also do they plan to fly JHB-KBR...???

AK plied the route before but had axed it before I got the chance to fly.

I'm still dreaming of PEN-KBR-BKI vv though. Hoping that WMKC can, in the future, cater for re-fueling and engineering facilities to enable it.

Good news for Firefly !!! Congrats on their B-day... :drinks:

Had always wondered why they didn't operate more into Indonesia/Sumatera, being to close-by :blink:

" Johor Bahru... a destination with a lot of potential"... Yeah, sure. This route was commenced and then chopped off within a month sometime early this year. I am still waiting for my refund to come through for a February flight that was culled..... waiting....and waiting....

Firefly Raises Free Baggage Allowance to 20 kg

Kuala Lumpur, April 23 – From 25th April 08, Firefly will increase its baggage allowance for checked baggage from 15kg to 20kg. Passengers on Firefly’s domestic and regional flights will now have the convenience of traveling with up to 20kg of checked baggage on free-of-charge basis.

The product enhancement was made following feedbacks from our repeat customers requesting for additional baggage allowance mainly stemming from current restrictions imposed on hand-carry items on grounds of safety and security. Sharp objects and liquid items such as medications, contact lens solution and toiletries are now required to be checked-in therefore adding to the need for extra weight allowance for checked baggage.

The decision to allow up to 20 kg is also to streamline product offering in line with other full service carriers ahead of Firefly’s plan to code share and interline with Malaysia Airlines.

In tandem with this product enhancement, Firefly is increasing its fuel surcharge by RM5.00 for domestic flights and RM8.00 for international flights for ticket bookings made from 25th April onwards. This is partly to help manage the current hike in oil price, which has shown a sharp increase of 75% from the same time last year when Firefly commenced operations.

Firefly will continue to honour its objective to keep our fares low to provide opportunities for people to fly, as was emphasized by Firefly’s Managing Director, Eddy Leong.

“To counter this phenomenon of rising fuel price, Firefly will make sure that its tickets are among the lowest in the market. Public can look forward to many more promotions from Firefly such as the current RM 1 to all destinations,” Eddy adds on.

small plane can give extra baggage allowance,

but big plane like A320 only give 15KG + handling Fees ++++++

small plane can give extra baggage allowance,

but big plane like A320 only give 15KG + handling Fees ++++++

[sarcasm] but they said the less the better to save fuel, conserve energy and environment maa [/sarcasm] :pardon:

The decision to allow up to 20 kg is also to streamline product offering in line with other full service carriers ahead of Firefly’s plan to code share and interline with Malaysia Airlines.

I believe the codeshare and interline is good for MAS. we may see Firefly serving the domestic market for MAS while MAS concentrate with international markets (of course plus several business orientated domestic destination like PEN, BKI, KCH)

I think its a good idea.

Huh, why not PEN-BKK then... new ATR, no problem.... XD

Direct competition from AK? And perhaps TG low fare too? I think they shud fly to secondary airport like Don Muang.

Edited by Seth K

Huh, why not PEN-BKK then... new ATR, no problem.... XD

In my discussion With Idris Jala, i told him about this.

Don't worry FY will flew to complete all domestic route after they received all ATR..

another, i suggest to him, hopefully FY will use bigger aircraft for like old MH B737 to serve

new destination like PEN-CGK, PEN-SIN, SIN-KCH, SIN-KK and more

Interesting to see them thinking about Seletar. That way passengers can avoid the hassle of a big airport !

So far Berjaya Air is the only airline serving Seletar and i wonder if Firefly will be allowed to start OPS there ...

I´m not sure if Singapore government will be too excited ! (remember the Air Asia issue)

Nevertheless i would like to see FY there !!!

... hopefully FY will use bigger aircraft for like old MH B737 to serve

new destination like PEN-CGK, PEN-SIN, SIN-KCH, SIN-KK and more

B737?... hmm.. Just for aesthetical value, how about FY just stick to turboprobs?...

Sign in to follow this