MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

High time, but why let the place rot in the first place? 40.gif

===

January 29, 2008 15:58 PM

Contracts For Major Refurbishment Of Terminal Three To Be Known By February

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 29 (Bernama) -- Subang Skypark Sdn Bhd, which is redeveloping terminal three in Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Airport at Subang into the region's largest general and corporate aviation hub, is expected to announce the award of the major refurbishment works next month.

The terminal, last built more than 20 years ago, currently caters to Firefly and Bejaya Air passengers.

The refurbishment works will transform the terminal into a "refreshing statement," said its executive director Datuk Ravindran Menon.

"The terminal certainly deserves to be refurbished for our community travellers who also expect and deserve a certain level of modern comfort and convenience," he said in a statement here Tuesday.

Under a 59-year lease from Malaysian Airport Holdings Bhd (owner of the airport) signed last month, Subang Skypark will redevelop terminal three in a RM300 million project named Skypark Subang.

The project, to be undertaken in three years, will feature an upgraded infrastructure, hangarage complex, fixed-based operation, maintenance, repair and overhaul facilities and a tourism-centric leisure mall.

Subang Skypark Tuesday announced that construction work for a five-star corporate executive lounge at the SkyPark Subang FBO centre has been awarded to ArcRadius Sdn Bhd.

According to ArcRadius's website, the company has expertise in design, construction, mechanical and electrical engineering and project management. Its client list covers both government and private sectors.

The statement said the executive lounge will feature meeting rooms, a 30-seater luxury lounge with food and beverage facilities for passengers, a private VVIP lounge, a cigar lounge, a bar, kitchenette, toilets, shower and changing room facilities, a gymnasium and surau.

Facilities also include a separate lounge, restrooms and other facilities and amenities for the pilots and aircrew.

It also said that Malaysia is currently seeing more jet traffic into Kuala Lumpur from Europe, the Asia Pacific region as well as from the Middle East.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=311000

About time. The terminal is in such poor condition.

I wonder who's behind Subang Skypark? They've certainly got a solid financier backing them up.

Time to have a new facelift for that area and one more thing ...pull down the green colour zinc barrier next to the terminal and leave the fence there...at least we could peek into it while driving past. :clapping:

my architect friend is in charge for this project....the designs will be presented to DPM this week for approval..i'll try to get as much infos esp on the renderings

A little OT perhaps, read in local papers that Sandakan airport next to be 'upgraded' - apparently in planning stage. So, another potential destination for MAS' big birds and dugongs !

Renovation work has started at the gate 36-38 area in Terminal 3. It was all boarded up when I went through the terminal on Tuesday. Finally!

A little OT perhaps, read in local papers that Sandakan airport next to be 'upgraded' - apparently in planning stage. So, another potential destination for MAS' big birds and dugongs !

OT... yes, heard that SDK upgrade on TV too. Hope not yet another 'mini KLIA'. I think the design is getting tired already. A nice 'Sabah' theme would be appropriate, like the Sabah Museum which I believe resembles the graceful dance of Kadazan culture. BTW, there is a shop at SDK selling oversized aircraft models. Not sure waht brand but looks like China-made, but big like 1:150 - 1:100 scale.

Now that SZB is getting an upgrade, expect the 'bodily-fluid' stained seats will be incenerated. MAHB should check similar seats at its other airports. Yuck!

Sounds good but why invest in old airport? KLIA has enough slots to handle the current SZB traffic, and enough opportunities to get the SZB maintenance centre being build at the new KUL!

"The terminal certainly deserves to be refurbished for our community travellers who also expect and deserve a certain level of modern comfort and convenience,"

..and also to the comfort and enjoyment of aimless strollers!

Late last December I went to SZB just to leisurely check out Fireflyz, and since its been aa-ages, many many years since my last visit there, I was seriously shocked to find it so dilapidated looking. I parked at the opposite open area parking, with the parking attendant booth looking like a storeroom/junkyard makeshift, and like a cautious fool I took the overpass to get over to SZB. After climbing those stairs and crossing the overpass, I found out that the entrance at T3 end was grilled locked. Lucky (or not) my aim was to have an aimless stroll that day, I wasn't in the mood to grumble (just felt like a dork, was all).

Glad to hear they're doing something about it. It's a shame because I saw many pretty choppers there ^_^

Edited by Irni Mastura

..and also to the comfort and enjoyment of aimless strollers!

Late last December I went to SZB just to leisurely check out Fireflyz, and since its been aa-ages, many many years since my last visit there, I was seriously shocked to find it so dilapidated looking. I parked at the opposite open area parking, with the parking attendant booth looking like a storeroom/junkyard makeshift, and like a cautious fool I took the overpass to get over to SZB. After climbing those stairs and crossing the overpass, I found out that the entrance at T3 end was grilled locked. Lucky (or not) my aim was to have an aimless stroll that day, I wasn't in the mood to grumble (just felt like a dork, was all).

Glad to hear they're doing something about it. It's a shame because I saw many pretty choppers there ^_^

I have posted about this topic before. In includes the artist impression of the transformation of T3. Check this out:

Subang Skypark

Anybody has any idea who's the real guy behind Subang Skypark?

Noted Bro. Thanks. Surely there must be someone more powerful behind them because the company has to have serious security backing for a RM300 million loan. And if they are not taking a RM300 million loan, then Datuk R Menon is solid financially.

Terminal 3 is like an old "gudang", at least it looks like one !!! I think it can be a leading Propeller aircraft airport in Malaysia, but more needs to be done, a lot more. Hopefully our leaders can work on making KLIA a hub first before opening jet flights out of SZB. But whatever it is, I hope our aviation industry booms this year. I was reading an article online on Changi's Terminal 1 renovation which is to begin in May 2008. I sensed some sentimental feel about T1 of SIN and how it has some history behind it. For your reading pleasure ;

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/index.asp...4511&nav=20

Yeah its about time Malaysia took aviation seriously, as we all know, we have lost the game of being a hub to Singapore and definitely Bangkok in attracting airlines to use KUL as their hub as well as a destination. Unfortunately, Malaysia continues to loose in this game as we see more and more big players setting foot in SIN and BKK because of their confidence at those airports. KLIA, although boasts being the Best Airport (25 million pax category) still is not on par with its competitors. Service quality, efficiency, facilities and many more seem to lag behind when compared to SIN and BKK. Even CGK (Jakarta) is booming with numbers now and has beaten KUL in many aspects.

I think what KLIA lacks a lot is in terms of realising the need to be constantly improving its services and facilities and not be satisfied with little success and drool about it. I think we should learn a lot from our neighbours in SIN and BKK on how to constantly provide excellent services and only then will we see an improved KLIA, on the interior and internal part of it. We obviosuly have a beautiful airport design and architecture but that alone does not help, whats important is the service and facilities. Ground staff are mostly incompetent and lazy, cannot speak simple and what more proper English, unable to solve crisis and many more which can go on to be listed further. These elements play an important part in establishing and international airport of world class services and facilities. MAHB and the MoT together with MH, AK and KLAS and other agencies involved should set a benchmark for their level of quality expected from the staff working at the airport. Consistency is another pointer which needs to be looked into. I am also shocked at some check in staff of a certain airline whom I have personally experienced, who asked for some form of bribery for an over weight luggage. I think all our efforts to make KLIA a hub may not materialise after all if some agencies sit down and do nothing and keep saying they are working on this and that airline or that they are cutting cost and then feeling great about it because they have gained some profit from cutting back on inflight meals or raising fares a lot more than other "average airlines".

For example, MH has a very crazy fare of RM4800 to London on a day time flight, when I can get a fare of RM3400 for the same route, on the same day on Etihad or RM3700 on Emirates or RM3600 on Qatar. It is sickening to see a big difference between the prices, when we Malaysians want to fly our own airline and we can't afford it, so settling for other airlines is all we can do with. Why not start with the root problem first ? Why bother hosting the ROUTES forum when you have no solid back bone ? The toilets for a start is in a mess, not well maintained, stinking, lifeless and no character, removal of the Flight Display Screen from the Observation Deck also does not help as many pax use that as their lay over point before checking in onto their next flight - NOT USER FRIENDLY and etc. The general mentality simply does not help to boost our airport as a hub, only time will tell.

:help: :help: :help:

Believe the FBO contract with the Swiss air taxi company is unlikely to generate enough income to pay for $300 million bank loan interest.

The project is only viable if they collect airport tax from Firefly and Berjaya pax.

Believe they are more keen to make profit from the development rather than operating the skypark.

:drinks:

Terminal 3 is like an old "gudang", at least it looks like one !!! ....

Before KLIA was built, Subang was really an embarrassing representation of the country. Rightfully the attention has shifted now with KLIA operational. However, it was an oversight of the government to neglect Subang as it could have been a very good regional or general aviation airport, since the infrastructure was already in place. I look forward to a better SZB and I hope it won't catch fire when it feels like it again! Hahaha...

We obviosuly have a beautiful airport design and architecture but that alone does not help, whats important is the service and facilities. Ground staff are mostly incompetent and lazy, cannot speak simple and what more proper English, unable to solve crisis and many more which can go on to be listed further. ...

That is so true. I flew domestically out of KLIA A LOT for a while and my experience with the ground staff were anything but cordial. MAS ticketing counter has some of the worse culprits. There was an incident that escalated into my ticket being "slapped" on the marble counter and I was thumbed away.

The immigration and kastams also another sore point. Why bother wearing the badges "SERVICE WITH A SMILE" when everyone is all sour faced? Their dismissive attitudes don't help one bit, not to mention slow pace of work trying to clear ONE widebody worth of passengers from a SQ777 shuttle on a slow afternoon at 2pm.

For example, MH has a very crazy fare of RM4800 to London on a day time flight, when I can get a fare of RM3400 for the same route, on the same day on Etihad or RM3700 on Emirates or RM3600 on Qatar. It is sickening to see a big difference between the prices, when we Malaysians want to fly our own airline and we can't afford it, so settling for other airlines is all we can do with. Why not start with the root problem first ? Why bother hosting the ROUTES forum when you have no solid back bone ? The toilets for a start is in a mess, not well maintained, stinking, lifeless and no character, removal of the Flight Display Screen from the Observation Deck also does not help as many pax use that as their lay over point before checking in onto their next flight - NOT USER FRIENDLY and etc. The general mentality simply does not help to boost our airport as a hub, only time will tell.

This one I can explain. You have to ask youself what is MAS trying to position herself to be. My guess is that they want to be a successful 6th freedom carrier ala SIA (no secret that EK is also imitating SIA's formula, and so is QR and EY). The whole reason is to encourage people to fly from one point to another via KUL. Thus, fares ex-KUL will normally be slightly higher that those of XXX-KUL-YYY. It is the same arrangement here with me trying to fly SQ ex-SIN. This is how I ended up being a frequent flyer of MAS because my ex-SIN tickets were all full on SQ, and I stumble onto MAS (wonderful experience, by the way).

Apply this logic to MAS' KUL-LHR flight and EK's KUL-DXB-LHR, the latter being a 6th freedom flight via their home base. This pricing logic is decided by the respective country's airline manager because he or she is answerable to the sector's P&L and a fine balance has to be maintained between generating demand while maintaining yields (someting that is sorelay lacking on MAS' part).

At SZB T3, one pays $9 for the use of terminal but the toilet is like Puduraya and without toilet paper. :angry: :(

Guess MAHB will bag the worst airport toilet award if contested.

:drinks:

Friday April 18, 2008

Subang SkyPark to refurbish airport

KUALA LUMPUR: Subang SkyPark Sdn Bhd has allocated RM35mil for the refurbishment of Terminal 3 (T3) of the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang.

The refurbishment covered about 157,000 sq ft of T3 and would see new interior design and facilities to cater to FireFly and Berjaya Air passengers, corporate strategy managing director Fariz Hashim said in a statement.

“The refurbishment is expected to be completed within six months of commissioning and passengers will, in addition to the new check-in facilities, also enjoy an organised approach in the airport,” he said in the statement.

The entire project would be privately funded, he added.

Fariz said the upgrading would see the check-in counters brought back to the forefront as well as a fresh entrance facade and an annexe housing food and beverage outlets.

“These will be the most visibly captivating points for our travellers as it will be a major improvement to T3 which was built 15 years ago,” he added.

He said the terminal's refurbishment was part of a three-year overall design fo Subang SkyPark for which RM300mil was being invested to transform it into the region's largest general and corporate aviation hub. – Bernama

http://star-space.com/news/story.asp?file=...5&sec=pnews