MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

As MH considers to defer their A380 delivery,

MH's second A380 wings just arrived for assembly.

6068862765_3cc29f8a96_b.jpg

Edited by Johan Z

I highly doubt they are going to delay it. The first aircraft is already on the assembly line. I reckon tho if they do delay it, I'm sure Airbus could possibly impose a fine or something along those lines seeing that an Agreement was already made and the aircraft is already on the assembly line tho I may be wrong. Just my two cents.

I highly doubt they are going to delay it. The first aircraft is already on the assembly line. I reckon tho if they do delay it, I'm sure Airbus could possibly impose a fine or something along those lines seeing that an Agreement was already made and the aircraft is already on the assembly line tho I may be wrong. Just my two cents.

Airbus will proceed to finish it completely and ask MH to pay for fine. And parked outside Toulouse or Hamburg.

SQ parked three of its A380 about a year back, all thanks to Koito scandal and Economic recession. Just recently received all three, parked for nearly a year.

Current status of the 6 A380s.

There was also some ambiguity over the airline's decision to take delivery of its impending six A380 aircraft.

While CIMB Research said MAS' management confirmed it would take delivery of five planes next year and one in 2013 as previously agreed with Airbus, two other aviation analysts told StarBiz that there was some ambiguity over the matter.

“They confirmed that they will take on the two to three aircraft currently being built in Toulouse. But there is still some uncertainty over the remaining aircraft,” said a local bank-backed analyst.

But the MAS management did say the A380 planes to come in next year would be used for flights to Australia and London and that the seat configuration would likely be changed to incorporate more business-class seats.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/26/business/9372016&sec=business

The article hinted that MH will only take 3 A380s from the 6 ordered and that the previously announced 508 seats configuration will be revamped to make way for more J class seats.

With only 3 A380s, MH can only do a 1 daily LHR-KUL-SYD run the max.

Current status of the 6 A380s.

The article hinted that MH will only take 3 A380s from the 6 ordered and that the previously announced 508 seats configuration will be revamped to make way for more J class seats.

With only 3 A380s, MH can only do a 1 daily LHR-KUL-SYD run the max.

If MH would only take 3 A380s and converted orders into A350 (hopefully or A330), that would be the best decision ever after this fiasco.

If MH would only take 3 A380s .....

Yup, like back in the old days when they managed with just the couple of 742's and single 743 :D

But heck, they were also bleeding red ink even back then :)

6 is a good number given that MH will probably operate daily to LHR, AMS and SYD. After all SQ has 5 A350s for its direct LAX and EWR routes.

6 is a good number given that MH will probably operate daily to LHR, AMS and SYD. After all SQ has 5 A350s for its direct LAX and EWR routes.

A345.. :drinks:

It depends on the length of time it takes to turn the aircraft around. I am not sure if 6 A380's can support 100% of the frequencies to these cities.

MH may still need to operate some flights on B772s, assuming that B744s will all be retired by the time all the A380s are delivered.

I may have miscalculated but don't you need 3 A380s to run a double daily service from KUL to LHR? How will 3 planes running this route have enough time to do a daily round to SYD as well?

TF: MH is a confused puppy

Did he actually say that?

Yes, he did say that few months back.

I think he said that because he thought MAS lacked good leadership and direction.

MH can do SYD without A380 if they want to. Just like CX, they operate multiple A330 daily.

CX can sustain a variety of daily flights as I would assume that it can sustain terminating passengers in HKG as well. MAS will probably rely on connecting passengers to fill its SYD route. It's more economical just to have one gigantic load of passengers in the case of MH. I would assume that MH will probably operate a daily A380 to SYD with a 3-5 weekly B772 accompanying the A380 service.

A345..

Sorry. That was typo error.

CX can sustain a variety of daily flights as I would assume that it can sustain terminating passengers in HKG as well. MAS will probably rely on connecting passengers to fill its SYD route. It's more economical just to have one gigantic load of passengers in the case of MH. I would assume that MH will probably operate a daily A380 to SYD with a 3-5 weekly B772 accompanying the A380 service.

3 daily A330 might be better for premium passengers who terminating in KUL or transferring into intra-Asia flights.

3 daily A330 might be better for premium passengers .....

MH has 3 daily slots into SYD ?

And not utilising them all ?

No wonder the red one is screaming blue murder :lol:

MH has 3 daily slots into SYD ?

And not utilising them all ?

No wonder the red one is screaming blue murder :lol:

I have no idea if they do. But when they join oneworld, they might consider to have one.

3 A380 for only daily LHR - KUL - SYD. Simply means that MH requires at least 6 pieces of this jumbo to make twice daily on the flight? Wow...

Well D7 can only manage 10 flights a week to STN and ORY using 2 aircraft with 90 min turnaround. That means each plane can only do 5 flights per week. If MH uses the aircraft at the same utilisation rate, 6 aircraft will mean 30 flights a week to Europe. With LHR taking 14 and AMS taking 7, that amounts 21 flights. There should still some room for daily SYD frequencies.

So, I would guess that 6 aircraft should be enough to do the kangaroo route with any remaining capacity deployed to other high load routes.

They can operate the super jumbo. But do not neglect the connectivity. Connectivity is still the most important. Like EK, ample flights to KUL, so convenient!