MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I saw on another website and it states MSN078 belong to Emirates n Malaysian's is MSN079...

Which 1 to believe?

Have been roaming the net on this, and found a purportedly complete list here. No idea whether or not this info worth a credence.

I didn't know that both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic had ordered the A380! And I also didn't realise that orders were closing in on the 250 mark. I wonder if any of the American airlines will ever order the A380.

I didn't know that both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic had ordered the A380! And I also didn't realise that orders were closing in on the 250 mark. I wonder if any of the American airlines will ever order the A380.

Airlines in America don't see the need to have A380. Heck, only 2 airlines operates 747, United & Delta.

Airlines in America don't see the need to have A380. Heck, only 2 airlines operates 747, United & Delta.

Yes, and those 747s are so old! They're going to need replacing sometime. I can't see Delta getting the A380 but I think it could be a very useful plane for United, especially on the transpacific routes.

Surely, MH will be putting flat-bed seats for their business class... I wonder what their first class suite would be like. I am definitely going to experience that one way or another!!

I was hoping they would add more seats on Economy+ :rolleyes:

MH will be introducing Y+ for the first time, so it would be too risky to put too many of these seats on the plane until it proves to be a success.

Some updates about MH's A380s from AeroplaneFreak of A.Net:

According to the latest Airbus production schedule, MSN084 has been changed to Emirates, and will not be going to Malaysia Airlines.

Malaysia Airlines first A380 (MSN078) has been confirmed as the new frame being carried on Convoy #10/2011.

Yes, and those 747s are so old! They're going to need replacing sometime. I can't see Delta getting the A380 but I think it could be a very useful plane for United, especially on the transpacific routes.

American prefers frequency than capacity. Therefore, you can see that they order big amount of narrowbody i.e. A320 or B737 every time. Seldom will they order anything larger than 300 seats. 787 and A350 can be used to route that demand higher (i.e. city to city NY-LAX etc; Capacity 300 at most?? :rolleyes:

American prefers frequency than capacity. Therefore, you can see that they order big amount of narrowbody i.e. A320 or B737 every time. Seldom will they order anything larger than 300 seats. 787 and A350 can be used to route that demand higher (i.e. city to city NY-LAX etc; Capacity 300 at most?? :rolleyes:

For domestic US flights, yes, frequency is usually more important than capacity except for trunk routes. I'm talking about international flights, eg. SYD/MEL to LAX/SFO.

Yay! It's coming! :clapping: Does anybody have the delivery schedule for MH's A380s? I'm keen to know how many they'll have by Sep 2012. I'm planning to go to LHR in Oct 2012, so if they've already got a few by then, I won't have to worry about missing out on flying these new birds because there'll be enough to use them daily. B)

The last known 'undetailed' schedule is 5 aircrafts in 2012 and 1 in 2013. The first of the 5 will be delivered in April 2012. So by October 2012, maybe we could assume (by logic) at least 3 of the 5 aircrafts have been delivered.

Thank you Johan for the link to the photos. It is very thrilling to get to see the first 2 photos of MH's first (partial) A380 MSN078 in real!

The last known 'undetailed' schedule is 5 aircrafts in 2012 and 1 in 2013. The first of the 5 will be delivered in April 2012. So by October 2012, maybe we could assume (by logic) at least 3 of the 5 aircrafts have been delivered.

Thanks, MAR. If they've got at least 3 by then, I'd be pretty confident that 2 of the A380s will be serving MH1/2 to/from LHR daily and 1 will be serving MH122/123 to/from SYD daily. :good: I'll be able to provide a mini TR (I'm not very good at doing them which is why I've never posted any) on the business class (or even first class)trip from SYD to LHR when I go in October 2012. :drinks:

A new thread about MH A380 has emerged in A.Net http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5154919/ based on this article by Flightglobal.

MAS details A380 delivery plan

By Ghim-Lay Yeo

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/05/27/357274/mas-details-a380-delivery-plan.html

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) expects to receive most of its Airbus A380 orders in 2012, and plans to operate the superjumbo jet to European cities.

The airline, which has six A380s on order, said it expects to take delivery of five of them in 2012. The remaining one will arrive in 2013. In 2010, MAS said that its first A380 will be delivered in April 2012.

MAS' A380s will "primarily serve the Kuala Lumpur-London and Kuala Lumpur-Amsterdam routes", said the carrier.

The airline has had the delivery of its A380s delayed several times, and has received compensation for the delays.

The thread suggested that MH's A380 destinations are LHR and AMS only. SYD will not get the A380.

Now IF this article proves correct, that SYD will be withdrawn from the list of MH's A380 destinations, it means the current blockage on D7's entry into SYD will finally be lifted. It also could lead to the confirmation of a rumour that was spilled out by Uncle Tony in early May 2011 that EK is planning DXB-KUL-SYD vv with traffic rights between KUL and SYD.

A new thread about MH A380 has emerged in A.Net http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5154919/ based on this article by Flightglobal.

The thread suggested that MH's A380 destinations are LHR and AMS only. SYD will not get the A380.

Now IF this article proves correct, that SYD will be withdrawn from the list of MH's A380 destinations, it means the current blockage on D7's entry into SYD will finally be lifted. It also could lead to the confirmation of a rumour that was spilled out by Uncle Tony in early May 2011 that EK is planning DXB-KUL-SYD vv with traffic rights between KUL and SYD.

Noooooo!!!!!! I want to fly the A380 all the way from SYD to LHR! Seriously, don't you only need 2 A380s to service KUL-LHR at any one time? Same goes for KUL-AMS. That means 4 of the A380s will be busy doing those routes. Unless, of course that the twice daily flights between KUL and LHR will be an all-A380 affair...

I remember MH announced a looong time ago, SYD will be the first A380 destination. Maybe they change their mind. SYD can easily be operated with A330 and 772, double daily or increase if necessary. Who knows maybe they will put Whalejet on HKG as well!

Azizul/ 9M-MAR,

Flightglobal got that info straight out of the MD's presentation on the latest qtrly results. SO, it came from an official source.

It kinda makes sense since EK's loads aren't doing that well especially on the 3rd daily flight, routing them via KUL would be more sensible. Similar to the situation at MEL, although there's rumors EK may drop the A380 on DXB-KUL-MEL-KUL-DXB and change the flight times, hopefully this is correct! But there is already an over capacity demand on the MEL-KUL route anyways.

But IMO it would make sense to operate the A380 direct from Australia to LHR via KUL, to compete with SQ, it won't satisfy customers flying an old 744 or 772ER then switching to a new A380, where they can get a consistent A380 product offering on SQ.

But IMO it would make sense to operate the A380 direct from Australia to LHR via KUL, to compete with SQ, it won't satisfy customers flying an old 744 or 772ER then switching to a new A380, where they can get a consistent A380 product offering on SQ.

Agree completely! I know for a fact that passengers will specifically choose flights knowing that they'll get the A380. This is a major selling point. It happens with SQ on the SYD-SIN route and with QF on the SYD-LAX route.

Perhaps the Business Class on the A380 is similar to the ones on the B772ER, hence for a A380 flight from SYD to LHR via KUL premium customers are indeed getting product consistency if in the end the A380s do not come to SYD and B772ER takes over MH122/3

That sounds like something MH would do IMHO.

Flightglobal Report

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) expects to receive most of its Airbus A380 orders in 2012, and plans to operate the superjumbo jet to European cities.

The airline, which has six A380s on order, said it expects to take delivery of five of them in 2012. The remaining one will arrive in 2013. In 2010, MAS said that its first A380 will be delivered in April 2012.

MAS' A380s will "primarily serve the Kuala Lumpur-London and Kuala Lumpur-Amsterdam routes", said the carrier.

The airline has had the delivery of its A380s delayed several times, and has received compensation for the delays.

Azizul/ 9M-MAR,

Flightglobal got that info straight out of the MD's presentation on the latest qtrly results. SO, it came from an official source.

Yes, I just noticed that. Paragraph 4 on the second page in the official press release. Still, the big question is why SYD was not mentioned?

Perhaps the Business Class on the A380 is similar to the ones on the B772ER, hence for a A380 flight from SYD to LHR via KUL premium customers are indeed getting product consistency if in the end the A380s do not come to SYD and B772ER takes over MH122/3

That sounds like something MH would do IMHO.

I think it is a common consensus among us now that the A380s will feature an entirely new cabins - First, Long Haul Business and Premium Economy - across the 6 aircrafts. MH is committing suicide and will be the laughing stock of all A380 operators if it uses the current 2004 vintage F and J seats on the A380s.

I think it is a common consensus among us now that the A380s will feature an entirely new cabins - First, Long Haul Business and Premium Economy - across the 6 aircrafts. MH is committing suicide and will be the laughing stock of all A380 operators if it uses the current 2004 vintage F and J seats on the A380s.

I will lose all faith in MH if they don't provide a product in their premium cabins that competes with SQ or EK.

And, if they really aren't going to bring the A380 to SYD, they must refurbish the newer B772s to have product consistency in business class for passengers that travel SYD-LHR, MEL-LHR and PER-LHR as soon as possible.

I wouldn't rely entirely on Flight Int'l, might not be accurate and statement are kind off general. Suggest to sit back and wait for final details from MAS. Think of it, if SYD is such a crucial destination for MAS, surely it will be included in their A380 planning.

Otherwise let's hope (1) AirAsia X granted traffic right and (2) Emirate fly their A380 on Dubai-KL-Sydney sector :)

Edited by Eugene Koh