MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Were 747 and 777 painted in SZB? There is a picture on a.net 777 doing a low-pass with new livery.

any link to that low-pass picture?

I thought they were. In fact, wasn't the point of Hibiscus & Helliconia is to publicise MH's painting capabilities?

I dont think the MRO hangers here are big enough for the whole of the a380. i think.

Isnt the newer of the two hangars at KLIA built specifically for the A380?

Would you be totally surprised if it is A380 specific but not big enough ? :p

Would you be totally surprised if it is A380 specific but not big enough ? :p

Maybe you meant the hangar is big enough but the tarmac and taxiway leading to it arent or surrounded with obstructions, preventing one from putting an A380 within that large-enough space?

For once, we dont have accountants deciding how much paint should be put on the plane and ignoring the intangible PR benefits of an outstanding livery. I always thought the repainting back to normal livery of the Hibiscus & Heliconia was a mistake. Only bean-counters would make that narrow, myopic decision.

ACTUALLY... the current board in MH is dominated by Accountants! Could be the main reasons y there were so many route exit strategies being implemented ?

any link to that low-pass picture?

0917805.jpg

The remark says

"Malaysia's first and only Triple in the heliconia-themed special livery doing a low flypast specially for the Malaysian spotters in attendance. Another great day for Malaysia Airlines as the long awaited blue Triple makes its first public appearance, seen here on its test flight after a long 'D' check and business class cabin refit"

Edited by Johan Z

What's with the blaming accountants obsession?

Chill. Just as we have stereotype jokes about lawyers, there are also those about accountants. Unfortunately, some of it may be quite true.

ACTUALLY... the current board in MH is dominated by Accountants! Could be the main reasons y there were so many route exit strategies being implemented ?

When you are losing over RM 1bn, everyone has to become a bean counter!

When you are losing over RM 1bn, everyone has to become a bean counter!

Maybe they're losing billions because everyone has been busy counting beans instead of doing business? All great companies are great because of its awesome products or services.. and if you noticed, rarely talk about its costs...

Maybe they're losing billions because everyone has been busy counting beans instead of doing business? All great companies are great because of its awesome products or services.. and if you noticed, rarely talk about its costs...

You got that perfectly right. MH has great costs but crap products. I'm still waiting for MH to make the quantum leap or come out with an innovative product instead of "now we have it too" products that are at least a couple of years late. And staff need to be educated thoroughly on MH's products & services - I find the product knowledge to be generally poor amongst staff that interact with passengers, especially on the gound (check-in, reservations, Enrich).

Chill. Just as we have stereotype jokes about lawyers, there are also those about accountants. Unfortunately, some of it may be quite true.

Absolutely spot on! Lawyers are boring, ugly and serious LOL.

So at this stage MH is sending the A380's to;

Confirmed: LHR

Unconfirmed: SYD, MEL & AMS?

The consensus here pretty much rules AMS out from seeing MH A380, especially since it has been downgraded to 777.

I agree that AMS will most likely not be seeing the A380. I am assuming that the A380 will be used for the twice daily service to LHR. Having 6 of these birds means that there's room for a daily flight to SYD as well as a daily flight to MEL. I hope they do this because it would make MH much more competitve against SQ, EK and EY on the Oz-London route by offering the A380 all the way from SYD/MEL to LHR.

Three aircraft will enable KUL-LHR to be double daily. The other three can ply daily between KUL-SYD and KUL-MEL. I think that for starters, the priority would be for KUL-LHR ramping up to a daily service.This may be followed by KUL-SYD. By the end of the year MH should have 5 A380s in service. MH could choose to go double daily on KUL-LHR/KUL-SYD or introduce the A380 on the KUL-MEL route. I guess a lot will depend on how well the KUL-LHR and KUL-SYD routes are doing.

..... MH could choose to go double daily on KUL-LHR .....

Does MH still have the additional slots at LHR to go double daily ? And gates there that can cater to the dugongs ?

At times of the day that allow for sensible scheduling of flights that is :)

Does MH still have the additional slots at LHR to go double daily ? And gates there that can cater to the dugongs ?

At times of the day that allow for sensible scheduling of flights that is :)

MH is currently doing double daily already.

KUL-LHR

MH4 @ 10.45 am

MH2 @ 11.55 pm

LHR-KUL

MH3 @ 10.50 am

MH1 @ 10.00 pm

I think that the initial A380 flights are MH3/MH4 as they are less popular.

MH is currently doing double daily already.

KUL-LHR

MH4 @ 10.45 am

MH2 @ 11.55 pm

LHR-KUL

MH3 @ 10.50 am

MH1 @ 10.00 pm

I think that the initial A380 flights are MH3/MH4 as they are less popular.

The initial flights will be MH2 & MH3, albeit ETD at noon.

Three aircraft will enable KUL-LHR to be double daily. The other three can ply daily between KUL-SYD and KUL-MEL. I think that for starters, the priority would be for KUL-LHR ramping up to a daily service.This may be followed by KUL-SYD. By the end of the year MH should have 5 A380s in service. MH could choose to go double daily on KUL-LHR/KUL-SYD or introduce the A380 on the KUL-MEL route. I guess a lot will depend on how well the KUL-LHR and KUL-SYD routes are doing.

I Hope MH sends the A380 to MEL this year ! (any hope this will happen? anyone with any inside knowledge if MEL & SYD are actually confirmed?)

I think it makes more sense to start with LHR, then SYD, then MEL before making LHR double daily, the MEL/SYD flights can funnel into the single daily LHR flight to test the waters first. Even with 5 A380's MH can still make LHR more than Daily with about an extra x3 weekly services before the 6th A380 arrives.

My bet is MH would deploy the A380 on MH 148/149 on the MEL route, similar to the new SQ A380 Schedule to MEL effective 25MAR. Here's are the 2 schedules below;

MH A380 MEL Schedule (Proposed)

MH 148 MEL 15:00 arrive KUL 20:30 A388

MH 149 KUL 22:10 arrive MEL 09:05 +1 A388

SQ A380 MEL Schedule (effective 25MAR)

SQ 228 MEL 15:45 arrive SIN 21:35 A388

SQ 227 SIN 21:00 arrive MEL 06:20 +1 A388

Edited by soorox

The A380s are basically replacing the B744 and they are currently only being used on the double daily flights to LHR and the MH122/123 flights to SYD. I would expect the A380s to fill the double daily flights to LHR first before going to SYD. It would make the most sense (to me anyway) to bring the A380 to MEL for one of their daily flights there.

I don't think MEL will see the A380 until all 6 planes have been delivered. Is it by end of this year?

They should be taking delivery of 5 of them this year and the remaining one next year.