MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Checked on MAS web tix for 1st flight on 2/7/2010 MH002 KUL-LHR 11:40PM-05:50AM operated by A380 was MYR1735.00 one way (economy class). It's seems 1st flight operated by A380 on night schedule because MH004 KUL-LHR on the same day early flight 10:05AM-04:15PM still operated by B747-400.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

yup.they will use A380 for MH 2,the night flight.Oz-KUL routes will arrive around 2000-2200hrs.i guess the dugong gonna be full with Oz-KUL-LHR pax.

Edited by Yang Zulhilmi

They've been publicised anout KUL-LHR a380 routes for sometimes now but everytime the A380 model shown using the old livery...... I personally didn't like the looks of it..

Quick analysis - MH 52J + 96Y on the upper deck. SQ for comparison has 60J+88Y or 86J

if

1)there aren't going to be any special amenities like bars. meaning similar levels of floor/galley/lavatory utilisation

2)roughly the same type of pitch in Y (assuming 32" in 2-4-2),

3)the MH seat map remains as is

there should be slightly (10.36%) more square footage per pax in J on the MH plane than the SQ one.

Of course it's overly simplistic - there are many gaps in the whole equation... just that i'm having a really slow day at work :)

Anybody interested in my back of the napkin math?

Quick analysis - MH 52J + 96Y on the upper deck. SQ for comparison has 60J+88Y or 86J

if

1)there aren't going to be any special amenities like bars. meaning similar levels of floor/galley/lavatory utilisation

2)roughly the same type of pitch in Y (assuming 32" in 2-4-2),

3)the MH seat map remains as is

there should be slightly (10.36%) more square footage per pax in J on the MH plane than the SQ one.

Of course it's overly simplistic - there are many gaps in the whole equation... just that i'm having a really slow day at work smile.gif

Anybody interested in my back of the napkin math?

SQ J seat is one of the most spacious around and having one which offers 10% more space than that must be something quite revolutionary... this doesn't sound very MH at all. I am hoping to be proven wrong...

Maybe some of the Y seats on the upper deck are Y+ in 2-3-2...

Definitely not 2-3-2. There's nothing like that showing on the seat map for the A380.

SQ J seat is one of the most spacious around and having one which offers 10% more space than that must be something quite revolutionary... this doesn't sound very MH at all. I am hoping to be proven wrong...

SQ J seats are wide, but because everyone has direct access to aisle, you don't need big legroom to let someone sitting on the window to get out.

So can we say all the previous talk about economy plus seats now amount to nothing?

Quite disappointing.. I won't mind chipping in a bit more for economy plus seats.

Share swap anything to do with this?

So can we say all the previous talk about economy plus seats now amount to nothing?

Quite disappointing.. I won't mind chipping in a bit more for economy plus seats.

Share swap anything to do with this?

I think it's fairly obvious - note that the J seats have increased, Y+ made way for that. In line with the "premium" targeting.

Just in!!! MH's new revised A380 config. Thanks to Jim. http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/05/mh-388-update2/

The launch date is now moved by 1 day earlier to 01JUL12, as a result of operational day changes. Planned Daily A380 service is postponed from 15AUG12 to 25AUG12.

In addition to the operational change, the airline has REVISED Airbus A380 Configuration, which overall capacity is reduced from 503 to 487.

F - 8 seats arranged 1-2-1 in 2 rows on the main deck

J - 64 seats arranged 2-2-2 in 11 rows on the upper deck

Y - 415 seats (68 upper deck, 347 main deck)

So by total seat count, MH's new config is almost similar to EK's 489 seats config. And the earlier mentioned Y+ cabin is now officially dismissed.

Just in!!! MH's new revised A380 config. Thanks to Jim. http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/05/mh-388-update2/

So by total seat count, MH's new config is almost similar to EK's 489 seats config. And the earlier mentioned Y+ cabin is now officially dismissed.

Now, that is much better! With their joining of OneWorld, they needed more business class seats. I'm hoping they come up with a nice configuration for business class. A shame that they did away with premium economy. It looks like OneWorld carriers already have it or are implementing it. QF and BA have it, CX is introducing it. I think JL have them as well?

Really stupid of them to do away with Y+.

They wont fill their Businnes class as its way too inferior to SQ and star alliance. The way to go was Y+. In between air asia and SQ.

upper deck as Y+ would have been an instant hit,instead of Y.

Another reason was if they are serious about one world, they would have Y+ as BA and QF.

Seems like MH never makes any right decision.

Edited by jadivindra

I believe there is still no accountability in MH despite all these share swap, management revamp etc. You can screw up the airline big time by making stupid decisions and still get away with it.

So someone decided to get rid of Y+.. From an onlooker's perspective, I think it's a stupid thing to do. But I'm almost certain that someone won't be responsible if MH starts to lose more money as they don't have the right product.

I also agree that it's a mistake to get rid of Y+. People are looking for something more than Y but at an affordable price because C is still out of range for the majority of people. Offering Y+ will provide product consistency when they join OneWorld. I'm still holding on to some hope that the Y section in the upper deck will be Y+...

They wont fill their Businnes class as its way too inferior to SQ and star alliance.

Well, we should reserve judgement until we actually see the product that MH offers on the A380. As for the generalisation that MH business class is inferior to all the StarAlliance carriers, have you actually travelled on some of those airlines? UA's business class product pales in comparison to MH's. Same with OS (with the exception of their onboard catering). TG's business class product is on par with MH but they still have some planes that don't even have the angled lie-flat seats!

I also agree that it's a mistake to get rid of Y+. People are looking for something more than Y but at an affordable price because C is still out of range for the majority of people. Offering Y+ will provide product consistency when they join OneWorld. I'm still holding on to some hope that the Y section in the upper deck will be Y+...

Well, we should reserve judgement until we actually see the product that MH offers on the A380. As for the generalisation that MH business class is inferior to all the StarAlliance carriers, have you actually travelled on some of those airlines? UA's business class product pales in comparison to MH's. Same with OS (with the exception of their onboard catering). TG's business class product is on par with MH but they still have some planes that don't even have the angled lie-flat seats!

As for the generalisation that MH business class is inferior to all the StarAlliance carriers, have you actually travelled on some of those airlines?

Its irrelevent to compare american carries with malaysia airlines.

I compared bussiness class of MH with SQ ONLY nothing to do with UA.and SQ being part of an alliance,that adds advantage.Thats what I meant.

And yes I have flown with most airlines,AA,BA,LH,SN,QF,JQ,NZ,TG,SU to name a few in Y, BC,F.The american conterpart fared the worst.

Edited by jadivindra

UA's business class product pales in comparison to MH's. S

UA's new medium/long-haul business class is actually better than MAS' because it goes fully flat ;)

Same with OS (with the exception of their onboard catering).

And OS has confirmed that they will introduce a new fully flat business class seat soon.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure it will be something like QF's business class seat on their 388. Different design but similar seat width and seat pitch.

UA's new medium/long-haul business class is actually better than MAS' because it goes fully flat ;)

And OS has confirmed that they will introduce a new fully flat business class seat soon.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure it will be something like QF's business class seat on their 388. Different design but similar seat width and seat pitch.

The only thing good about UA's business class is that the seat goes fully flat but it is very narrow and they fit 8 across on the B747-400 and the B777-200. The food is terrible and the service is crap.

OS' business class seats are actually quite uncomfortable in the angled flat position. The IFE is ancient but their catering is amazing though.

I hope MH refurbish the B772 and update the cabin so that it is the same standard of the A380.

I hope MH refurbish the B772 and update the cabin so that it is the same standard of the A380.

Yes they should maintain product consistency. With new A333s and A380s, the B772 product will look very dated. Even if the refurbished planes are used for another 3 or 4 years, it is still worthwhile doing it.

Honestly I would still rate TG,QF,SU,LH,SN,NZ,SQ above MH based on experience.And MH above JQ.

We all have different experiences on different airlines. I've almost always had a good experience on MH (in all classes), so that's why I tend to fly with them. I also prefer to go through KUL than SIN, so that's why I don't take SQ that often. QF's business class product did not impress me at all and they are so much more expensive than everyone else (except SQ).

We all have different experiences on different airlines. I've almost always had a good experience on MH (in all classes), so that's why I tend to fly with them. I also prefer to go through KUL than SIN, so that's why I don't take SQ that often. QF's business class product did not impress me at all and they are so much more expensive than everyone else (except SQ).

I agree with you on this point,Josh.

But right now MH really have to come up with a superb bussiness class product if they tend to do away with Y+.

Its strange that while most of us think that they should introduce Y+,the management of MH has decided otherwise.Hope they change their mind.

I agree with you on this point,Josh.

But right now MH really have to come up with a superb bussiness class product if they tend to do away with Y+.

Its strange that while most of us think that they should introduce Y+,the management of MH has decided otherwise.Hope they change their mind.

I think that's what's most frustrating for all of us really. The opportunities are there to come up with a product that would put them ahead of the field but they almost always fail to deliver and we end up being disappointed. The bsiness class on the new A333s is a good example. It's simply short-sightedness from the MH management.

I also hope they change their mind about Y+. It's really not that hard to do. Just remove 2 rows of Y upstairs and you have a Y+ product. They simply have to follow the model that's used by QF and BA.

Malaysia Airlines’ fourth A380 (MSN089) has been confirmed as the new frame being carried on Convoy #01/2012.

Only the wings and tailplane are being carried in the convoy, with the remaining components scheduled to arrive later in the month.

Once delivered in Q2 2012, she will carry registration 9M-MND.

Source