MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jonathan Kong

Airbus A380 Development

friends...recieved phone call from a fwen in subang.

he makan at dca cafe and people there bising² saying A380 will make it here (SBZ) today....any news? waaa i got exam...can't spot sad.gif

Edited by Zam Hizami

Sorry... picture no good... cheap camera la...

Edited by Salihan

Nice Pic Salihan... Cool. And get up close to the Monster. Must be Amazing Experience.. laugh.gif Some tutorial how to upload pic here...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Guys, which engine has MAS chosen for A380, RR or AE?

Read that A380 MSN004 (2nd a/c) will receive full Emirates livery for the upcoming Dubai Air show. There's a bit of any irony there. EK have chosen AE as their engines and MSN004 has RR engines installed....... biggrin.gif

Edited by S V Choong

Don't think the A380 will come to LIMA 05. I think they will be going to Singapore Air Show Feb 06. Maybe after the airshow they will drop by Malaysia?

3230[/snapback]

yeah.....would be a big boast if it came to LIMA05..... rolleyes.gif then can go and see from near......can even go in/touch it? smile.gif

since the two famous acrobatics are not coming sad.gif i'd say, with the appearence of the A380 it will really2 attract the public.......

I read a newspaper..and it said our gouvernment said Langkawi Intl Airport will be the 2nd airport to let A380 land..so something will be changed in LGK Intl Airport in yrs..

FRANKFURT - CEO Tom Clark of airline Emirates expects that the delivery of the first Airbus A380 to his airline will be further delayed. Even though Airbus still expects to deliver the first A380 to Emirates in April 2007, Mr Clark doesn't believe this :angry: At least, this is what he said last sunday (11jun) in an interview with the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag.

Clark says he expects the first A380 to be delivered to Emirates 'maybe' in May 2007. Previously, Airbus had to delay the deliverydate of the new A380 already by 6 months. Singapore Airlines will put into service their first A380 at the end of this year.

Emirates will be the first airlines using the A380 with GP7200-engines built by Engine Alliance. Not a single A380-prototype with these engines has flown as yet.

Emirates ordered 43 "Superjumbo's". Last month, it changed an order for two freighters into passernger versions.

really really not good on the part of Airbus SAE...

Boeings new 747-8 is looking more attractive as the days tick on by.. Plus it is a proven design!

THe A380 is nice, but if thats the way their biggest customer is being treated.. then holy smokes! But EK, I want to ask you lah (i.e. Imran), what you want to do with 43 big mammas!?

really really not good on the part of Airbus SAE...

Boeings new 747-8 is looking more attractive as the days tick on by.. Plus it is a proven design!

THe A380 is nice, but if thats the way their biggest customer is being treated.. then holy smokes! But EK, I want to ask you lah (i.e. Imran), what you want to do with 43 big mammas!?

Still think the A380 is too big (for airline economics). Unlikely that the big mamma will ease airport congestions. I wouldn't reduce my frequencies into airports simply because I'm using a larger aircraft - I'll be losing my slots for that reason. :huh:

What could be the case is that the A380 becomes a premium airplane with premium products offered onboard. i.e. not too many seats, but sort of higher class products e.g. more legroom, bar, social areas etc. Shall wait and see when SQ gets its first A380.

As for Imran, I think his FZ30 will be worked very hard. :lol:

Sandeep et al.

You'd be surprised at how fast those 43 big mama's will be filled up. They will undoubtedly be used on both the high-yield sectors (i.e Mat Salleh Sectors :lol: ) and the high-load sectors (i.e mainly every route in their network, excluding Abidjan for now).

For example, their double dailies to JFK are full to the brim right up till Jan 07. The 3rd daily via HAM is overbooked by an average of 40 people every day its operating ex-DXB and ex-HAM. Indian flights are completely full. Heck, even Accra has seen the High Density -ER come in on some days! The statistics show that Emirates are in dire need of bigger aircrafts, or greater route frequencies. The latter, being next to impossible in some destinations.

Conclusion, Emirates needs bigger aircrafts, they will be getting bigger aircrafts, and a further delay in the delivery of the A380 is terribly disappointing.

EK will get all their A380, and then at the end, they will be scrap where new technology discover. Just like camera digital, last month it's barely one inch thick, yesterday, it's as thick as a pencil and today, they are touch screenable..........tomorrow, we change to new one. 797 plan is a great way to replace A380 in coming years :good: Hope they are electric powered instead of fuel :) That's what they try to do at GE-my dad recent visit there for a 747 engine deal :)

About the delay, I say- live with it :drinks:

Why is is everyone going to Dubai? hint hint Imran

Jebel Ali Airpot "World Central Airport"!!!

Apparently everyone IS going to Dubai! And apparently if Aliens decide to visit us earthlings, they'll have to make their point of entry at the "World Central Airport"... who knows.. maybe they'll be looking for oil too!!! :) hahaha :D :p

Why is is everyone going to Dubai? hint hint Imran

1) Business

2) Development

3) Holiday

4) Oil

5) Chicks

6) Emirates

:yahoo: (the abovementioned is quite true...although some might say "holiday" should also be the main reason )

Jebel Ali World Airport ah bro...thats gonna be one hell of an airport! 6 Parallel runways....monolithic terminals...A380 capable. Bear in mind, once its completed, ALL international airlines will serve Jebel Ali Airport whilst Dubai airport will remain exclusive to Emirates Airlines. Syok ahh...one whole airport to yourself. Bliss... :good:

UPDATE:

A380 airframe manufacturer expects a 6-8 months delay, so SQ won't be able to put its A380 into service by end of 2006. (Source: ATW Daily, June 14, 2006)

Expect first SIN-SYD A380 flight to be in mid 2007 perhaps?

Edited by Tony

EDIT button disappeared!! :o

Qantas also not happy with the delay, click here

SMH also reports SQ's claim on receiving the first megajumbo by end of 2006. :unknw: Wonder which one's correct... :rolleyes:

June 13, 2006

Dubai-based airline Emirates, the biggest customer for the world's biggest airliner, the Airbus A380, said on Tuesday that because of a further six month delay in deliveries, it would not be able to put the plane into operation before January 2008.

"We have been informed by Airbus that the delivery of our A380 aircraft will be delayed by six months. Emirates now expects to receive its first A380 in October 2007, to be put into operation in January 2008," an Emirates spokesman said.

"We are considering our position and will be engaging with the manufacturer over the next few weeks," he added.

Emirates has ordered 43 of the A380, which carries a list price of USD$300 million -- by far the largest order for the plane.

(Reuters)

June 13, 2006

Airbus revealed delays of at least six months in deliveries of its A380 superjumbo on Tuesday, in an embarrassing new setback that parent company EADS said could cut its earnings between 2007 and 2010.

The European planemaker said it would still deliver the first aircraft to Singapore Airlines in 2006, but would slow down deliveries from next year onwards because of problems with the installation of electrical wiring harnesses.

"We have had an industrial delay. It will shift the program to the right by six to seven months," John Leahy, Airbus' chief commercial officer said.

EADS said the delays would mean shortfalls in earnings, before interest and tax, of EUR500 million (USD$627 million) a year between 2007 and 2010, and acknowledged it would have to pay penalties to carriers which have signed up for the world's biggest airliner.

However, it said this year's earnings would not be affected.

Airbus upset airlines earlier in the A380 production cycle by announcing a 6 month delay in deliveries after insisting for months that the program was running to schedule.

Carriers were angered because the sudden news of a delay disrupted their plans for deploying the big plane on routes and in some cases could force airlines to lease other aircraft to use until the A380 is ready. Airlines have sought compensation from Airbus for these setbacks.

The first delays were also blamed on wiring as well as a surge in demand for customized interiors. The electrical harness threading through the A380 drives systems, including those used in in-flight entertainment systems that allow passengers to select from hundreds of films and songs.

Sixteen carriers have so far ordered 159 of the A380 planes, which list for just under USD$300 million (USD$376.3 million), though some analysts believe Airbus has done deals with customers for about half that.

"There have been bottlenecks on the installation of wiring harnesses but the test flying is still going well," Leahy said.

Delays in major new airliner projects are common, especially in one as large as the A380 -- Europe's biggest civil airliner project since the 1960s supersonic Concorde.

But the production problems come at a peculiarly difficult time for Airbus, which is in the middle of a potentially radical review of its wide-body aircraft strategy embracing the slow-selling A340 and the A350, its newest model.

Airbus faces its worst crisis in years as Boeing's twin-engined long-range models -- the current 777 and the 787 due in 2008 -- have dried up demand for the less cost-efficient four-engined A340 while denting early sales of the A350.

Airbus, after several false starts, has vowed to reveal a new model range to address the 777 and 787 by mid-July, though Boeing is confident Airbus cannot do it with just one new model range, meaning the US company could have a lucrative slice of the market to itself.

Airbus clung onto its position as the world's leading passenger jet maker ahead of Boeing in 2005, but decisions expected in the next few weeks are seen as crucial.

Meanwhile, the A380 delays raise the prospect of cash shortfalls on its most ambitious aircraft project and will tie up working capital until Airbus is able to get the undelivered planes out of its plants. Planemakers are paid on delivery.

EADS also hinted at the possibility of cancellations.

"Possible contract terminations under the new timetable have not been taken into account in this estimate," EADS said in a statement describing the accounting impact of the new delay.

Airbus's largest customer, Emirates, which ordered 43 of the giant planes, said it was among those that had been told its deliveries were delayed by six months and was considering its position ahead of talks with Airbus in coming weeks.

Leahy said the company was still on track to have the plane certified and to deliver its first aircraft to Singapore Airlines by year-end 2006, but deliveries in 2007 would be cut to nine aircraft from an original target of 20 to 25.

Airbus said there would be shortfalls of between five and nine planes in 2008 and of around five in 2009. It declined to identify which airlines may be affected.

(Reuters)

wow... all delayed... and for sure MAS's first A380 also delayed, until our turnaround plan is completed? :D

a really bad news for Airbus, but a good news to SQ that they will be operating A380 without competitors for some time... rite?