MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
miroslav zinoviy

MAS flight forced to return to Hong Kong

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysia Airlines flight that left Hong Kong for KLIA yesterday morning had to return to Hong Kong International Airport about an hour later when the captain detected a malfunction.

MAS director of operations Datuk Tajuden Abu Bakar said the passengers of flight MH75 were initially allowed to remain onboard the Airbus A330 during the preliminary investigations.

However, after ascertaining that the rectification was going to take longer and that a crew change was necessary, all passengers were disembarked and served lunch before being transferred to other flights.

There were 27 business class and 162 economy class passengers.

“We transferred 101 passengers to flight MH73 that departed at 4.03pm while 35 passengers were transferred to another airline that departed at 6.10pm for KLIA. Another six passengers were rerouted on other airlines to their final destinations,” he added.

“The remaining 47 passengers were re-booked on flight MH75 scheduled to depart tomorrow (today) at 9.15am and provided overnight hotel accommodation,” said Tajuden.

“We apologise to all affected passengers but wish to reassure everyone that no flight will be released unless we are certain that there is no issue of passenger safety,” he said.

Was it 9M-MKS ?

Dante Dris has a description of an APU gone kaput on this bird over at Obs Hill, flying ICN-BKI-KUL

A couple of my office colleagues were on board a A330 flying KUL-BKI-(onwards to ICN) on Saturday night; was told the plane was plunged into total darkness for a while whilst on ground at KUL due to some electrical failure

Would be quite worrying if it is the same bird and it's allowed to continue flying knowing problem(s) exist

Wardrobe Malfunction!... heh heh...

sorry... evrytime i heard the word mulfunction, wardrobe mulfunction comes to mind...

ok backto the topic... :p

APU is used to start the engines right?

ive heard that the APU also provides electrical power during flight, like for the lighting and etc...

APU is just a small jet engine, typically used on the ground to provide power the a/c. It is also provides bleed air for engine starts (hence why a GPU is needed when the APU is not serviceable and thus starting on the gate required). Inflight the APU is only used when one of the other generators is u/s as it is a requirement that 2 generators be serviceable inflight, so as to still have the redundancy should a 2nd generator fail, however there is a fuel penalty for flying with APU on.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is this "cross bleed" thingy I've heard of since my younger days but been too lazy to find out so far ?! :(

This was 9M-MKJ and after airborne they found they could not retract the gear so they returned. The aircraft departed the next morning about 24hrs later.

A Malaysia Airlines flight that left Hong Kong for KLIA yesterday morning had to return to Hong Kong International Airport about an hour later when the captain detected a malfunction.

it took one hour to return back ? At least the airlines give compensate to the customers.

it took one hour to return back ? At least the airlines give compensate to the customers.

Many reasons might contribute to the one hour wait. It could be due to the landing slots? Dumping fuel? Descending? But I think maybe they didn't declare emergency or some sorts so they were not the priority to land. Just my 2 cents though...

Hi guys, my 1st post on MW. But been visiting here often.

Anyways, took us some time to carry out the checklists and briefings and setting up of the FM before we could land back in HK. Didn't wana rush things and making sure we got everything correct. All in all, about an hour.

Btw guys, I was the F/O of that flight :D

We couldn't retract the landing gear after taking off, even ATC asked us if we had a problem because tower actually saw our gears were down and obviously that's not normal.Anyways, they were very professional and vectored us south of HK to carry out our checklists. A few ECAM message appeared not long after take off too, nothing major. Coincidently, we lost both our reversers :blink: ... strange... Came back for overweight landing into runway 07L , ferried the aircraft back to KL the next morning with landing gears down all the way!! :D No pax onboard of course. Only us tech crew and cabin crew.

Edited by Mohd. Afiq A.

Thanks for the explaination, Afiq.

Hydraulic problem, again?

BTW, welcome to MW. :good:

Hi guys, my 1st post on MW. But been visiting here often.

Anyways, took us some time to carry out the checklists and briefings and setting up of the FM before we could land back in HK. Didn't wana rush things and making sure we got everything correct. All in all, about an hour.

Btw guys, I was the F/O of that flight :D

Curious to know;

How much was the fuel penalty with gear down all the way back to KUL, and travelling at which FL?

Guess the stick must be quite vibrating all the way.

Safe Landing.

Thanks.

:drinks:

Curious to know;

How much was the fuel penalty with gear down all the way back to KUL, and travelling at which FL?

Guess the stick must be quite vibrating all the way.

Safe Landing.

Thanks.

:drinks:

Ahhhh good question... Usually we burn around 20T of fuel if we fly at FL380 or FL400 using the normal routing. Flight time around 3hrs 30. That day we flew back via inland because we couldn't meet with the MEA for the usual routing airways, we flew at FL200 only, and burnt around 43T!!! :blink: Took us an extra hr to reach KL. Btw, cockpit was very noisy, nope on the airbus once A/P engaged, the stick is dead, so no vibration there.

Not really hydraulics, more towards the landing gear systems itself that caused all of these....

Ian, extra night but stay airport hotel only :( but got go kai kai at the terminal la... syiok!

Cheers

Edited by Mohd. Afiq A.

Hi,

Welcome to MWings Afiq. Thanks for the input.

Will MAS be investigating the incident??

STrange to have both A330-300 and 777-200ER in MAS FLEET having technical probs in the same week.

Sign in to follow this