MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Li Ren

Regarding Melaka's Airport

Can I know when Melaka Airport will be fully upgraded to enable the A.K to fly here because as a Multimedia University students,I hope that I can board A.K n

fly back to my hometown ...???? :pardon:

I believe it will be long way to go until Melacca get upgraded and accomodate AK, possibly years after you graduate. :)

I believe it will be long way to go until Melacca get upgraded and accomodate AK, possibly years after you graduate. :)

I read a newspaper report in August that the old control was about to be demolished as part of the ongoing work to upgrade the airport.

From the article below, written in April 2006, completion would be before the end of 2008. http://www.amazingmelaka.com/2006/04/04/ma...etely-upgraded/

Except the local residents, not many people know about the existence of Batu Berendam Airport in Melaka. Currently, the runway is too short for big aircraft. This airport has got its earth breaking ceremony on 1 Apr 2006, and will be completely upgraded in 30 months.

Batu Berendam Airport is occupying 141 acres of land. Under this expansion, the runway will be upgraded from 1,372M length and 37M width, to 2,045M length and 45M width. Besides, it can also allow Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 aircrafts to land.

New Facilities

The existing terminal complex will be completely removed, and reconstructed with a 7,000M-square new terminal equipped with international-standard amenities to cater the modern needs.

The old control tower will also be replaced with new construction, and complemented with various advanced aeronautic devices.

Both ends of the runway will be installed with proper facilities to guide night landing, and better assure the safety in bad weather conditions.

Chief Minister Hopes for Shorter Construction Time. Though the expansion is planned to be completed in 30 months, but the Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Ali Rustam, hopes the plan to be developed in 18 months.

In comparison, the new LCC (Low Cost Carrier) Terminal in Sepang was completed in 9 months.

Anyone local know how work is progressing?

Geoff

:mellow: ....melaka batu berendam airport..during my early day when i just arrive at melaka...of course..i am also an mmu student chong li ren....i don't even know that there is an airport here in melaka....got to know about it when i get to know about the malaysian flying academy,MFA.

eventhough melaka airport had it's glorious in the past, now it is different story. <_ my personal opinion is that melaka airport just do not have the potential to rise when we think of it : far nearest international an hour and a half average driving. neccesary or say traveller travel by air y bus station one nicest around src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blum.gif" alt=":p"> .....no offence..just my sincere thought.

maybe firefly can think of melaka ...but i doubt ak will operate in melaka...finally, even i also hope that ak will operate from melaka...(of course...it is even easier for me to travel back to my hometown)...but generally, i dun think that it will happen....

my 2 cent...no offence...please dun bomb me ^_^ ^_^

Anyone local know how work is progressing?Geoff

last few week when i past by batu berendam area at night, saw some construction work...(guess so :p )...coz is saw some tractor digging and doing some stuff..not too sure about ... :unknw:

Edited by Louis L.

I am a Malaccan. Unless Malaysians change the way of travel, I don't see a need for Melaka airport to upgrade itself.

Even though Melaka is only 1.5 hours drive from KLIA, so is Richmond from IAD. However, there is still frequent flight service between RIC and IAD, simply because there is a lot of people transitting from IAD to the other destination. Therefore, the travel volume justify the service. Also, the frequency of service is so high that the waiting time is usually less than 2 to 3 hours in between flight.

So far, this is not the way we travel. If I want to go to, say, Kuching, I will catch a cab to KLIA and fly out from there. I most probably won't fly out of Melaka, even if there is such air service.

I'm a frequent traveller to the east coast for scuba diving, the airport upgrade is a need for me. Unlike the current situation that i have to take bus for about 8 to 10hours to reach the destination.

Can I know when Melaka Airport will be fully upgraded to enable the A.K to fly here because as a Multimedia University students,I hope that I can board A.K n

fly back to my hometown ...???? :pardon:

Chong Li Ren,

Where is your hometown? From your profile on MW, you are from KL. I don't think there will ever be a Melaka-KL flight, be it AirAsia, MAS, Firefly or Berjaya.

But for me, I hope there will be a turboprob operation for Melaka to Penang. Possibly Firefly. I think it will work.

I'm a frequent traveller to the east coast for scuba diving, the airport upgrade is a need for me. Unlike the current situation that i have to take bus for about 8 to 10hours to reach the destination.

Simon, how about you take 1.5hour ride to KLIA then take a mere 45mins to east cost via MH or AK... OR... wait a few months, then take abt 2 hrs ride to SZB then Firefly to east cost... brilliant idea, huh? :rolleyes: just kidding... peace! eheheee.... :D :D

Edited by Yusoff

I remember in the mid 90's, Pelangi flew from Singapore WSSS to Melaka using a Fokker 50. I hope Firefly will do the same route in the future. :)

My first flight was 25min from Batu Berendam to Subang in Fokker F27...

during the times when driving from Malacca to KL was notoriously more than 3 hours... :pardon:

Simon, how about you take 1.5hour ride to KLIA then take a mere 45mins to east cost via MH or AK... OR... wait a few months, then take abt 2 hrs ride to SZB then Firefly to east cost... brilliant idea, huh? :rolleyes: just kidding... peace! eheheee.... :D :D

You are right, that's what i was doing. :rolleyes: But it is more convenient if can fly from Melaka :)

lol i ever been to malacca. iam from KCH. I get there via KLIA n took me about 3 hours journy with taxi and how u guys made it by 1H30M??

i went there to visit my sis studying in MMU.

3 hours? are you sure?... the taxi driver has taken you for a 'sightseeing' ride (aka long-cut for extra charge), i reckon... or you were caught in a traffic jam?

Edited by Yusoff

lol i ever been to malacca. iam from KCH. I get there via KLIA n took me about 3 hours journy with taxi and how u guys made it by 1H30M??

3 hours? He must be travelling in about 40km/h, hahaha....

From Melaka tol to KLIA tol takes about 1hour if i drive :)

i remmermberred during when i came for melaka for the first time for vacation, it also took me 3 hours from klia. Then after that i found out that the taxi driver actually drove us using an old road and came in to melaka via alor gajah....i am not sure that the cab driver purposely did that or wat :pardon:

but after that incident, i bet they will be no more thing like tat will ever happen B)

good. if compare to the speed limit of the North-South highway, Plus, then must be many others driver cursing the snail driver. kekeke.... jkjk... btw, from 1H30M cut to 1H only? got give those thirsty cop minum ka? jkjk...

no!!! the taxi driver speed up to 120km/h through out the journey and we cross 2 or 3 i cant remember of thing like immigration before getting into malacca.

is tad the old road mentioned?

haiz nvr mind la..i will not going there anymore i guess.. my sis is going to graduate.

:lol: ..simon...180km/h ar??

good. if compare to the speed limit of the North-South highway, Plus, then must be many others driver cursing the snail driver. kekeke.... jkjk... btw, from 1H30M cut to 1H only? got give those thirsty cop minum ka? jkjk...
Hahaha.....very lucky for not booked by them..
:lol: ..simon...180km/h ar??
Shhhhhhhh.......... :)
no!!! the taxi driver speed up to 120km/h through out the journey and we cross 2 or 3 i cant remember of thing like immigration before getting into malacca.is tad the old road mentioned?haiz nvr mind la..i will not going there anymore i guess.. my sis is going to graduate.
Something must be wrong with the speedometer, hahahaha...That's no immigration stops....maybe you are referring to Thailand or China :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hahaha.....very lucky for not booked by them..Shhhhhhhh.......... :)Something must be wrong with the speedometer, hahahaha...That's no immigration stops....maybe you are referring to Thailand or China :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He may has mistaken those toll gate.

Believe Melacca airport is well located for flight training. Like Taiping, Ipoh or Butterworth, doubt it is commercially viable for regular service.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

dsc00184re4.jpg

This piece of heritage should be restored, and maintained.

And also, I just found out that Riau Airlines flies direct to Pekanbaru from Melaka 5-times weekly. That would make it Melaka International Airport wouldn't it? :)

PM Agrees To Lengthening Of Batu Berendam Airport Runway, Says Melaka CM

MELAKA, Sept 11 -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has agreed in principle to the Melaka government's request to lengthen the Batu Berendam airport runway by 400 metres to 2,200 metres at a cost of RM40 million, Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said Thursday.

He said he had appealed to Abdullah on the matter when the prime minister attended a breaking of the fast yesterday with Melaka Umno leaders here.

"The prime minister agreed and noted the appeal," he told reporters after handing over donations to widows of Melaka policemen, here.

The airport is undergoing an expansion. The upgrading began on April 23 last year and is scheduled to be completed on April 22 next year, with the primary objective of facilitating medical tourism.

However, the runway has to be lengthened to 2,200 metres to enable aircraft such as the Airbus and Boeing 737 to use the airport.

Mohd Ali said low-cost carrier AirAsia had given the commitment to have its aircraft use the airport from April 22 next year.

doing some research for my design class.. came across this at skyscrapercity.com

The Rendering... with funny looking MMF :good:

18082007753bw9.jpg

18082007754yt9.jpg

18082007755va1.jpg

18082007756xk0.jpg

18082007757ij8.jpg

Hurmmm~!! they built it.. It not KLIA Clone but It happen to be another LCCT@KLIA Clone.. =@ :rofl:

mg7859bc7.jpg

Edited by Ibrahim

Sign in to follow this