MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Radzi

The golden age of aviation

I'd like to share with you about something written by a senior (retired) pilot of MH.

I join the airline too late to enjoy such a thing. For all those young pilots here, read and weep. :(

When we first started LHR it was the B707 KUL-KUWAIT-LHR-KUWAIT-KUL 14 day run. I even composed a song "Fourteen Nights". You can easily fall in love on the way up and get insanely jealous on the way back. Stress-free and romance flourish. Then, before DC10 took over the route, we had London posting. I with my wife and 2 children had 4 and a half months of glorious summer there. 4 days in London 3 days in Kuwait yo-yoing London-Kuwait-London. Before the daily LHR we have now, we had a nightstop London pattern - arrive early Monday morning and ex London Thursday evening.

The nightstop in Honololu was a whole week. One Sunday afternoon we were checking in at Ala Moana hotel reception counter and the Aloha Airlines girls were checking in too beside us. I asked one aloha stewardess "How long is your stay?" She said they were leaving the next day and asked me the same. So I said "We are leaving next Sunday". She was startled and loudly said "What airline are you?

Then there was Vancouver 4 nights in a nice apartment in the city with floor-to-ceiling mirror on the headboard side of the bedroom. And long Brisbane too. Most nightstops were long enough to get us acclimatised there.

In my 34 years with the airline, the number of times I took annual leave to bring my family overseas was twice. Once I brought all of them to Disneyland Los Angeles. The other times I brought them on long night stops.

Blame it, among other things, competition, deregulation and low-cost carriers.

In the 70s, many people used to wear suits and the best in their wardrobes. Nowadays I can see people in shorts and sandals taking a flight. Very casual. How time has changed.

Yup exactly.....LHR stay use to be a week.....15 years ago but now...just enough for u to movce around London.....and soon u will find urself for the flight back to KUL again..... :rolleyes:

Yes, but then remember what it used to cost (in real terms) back then to 'fly' If I'm not mistaken, cost almost the same RM/GBP to do KUL/LHR/KUL nowadays as, what 20 years ago ? Inflation takes care of the rest I suppose !

When we first started LHR it was the B707 KUL-KUWAIT-LHR-KUWAIT-KUL 14 day run. I even composed a song "Fourteen Nights".

MH 873?

i believe that the golden era is long way gone....we? nah....... especially with the exploding growth of population in the numbers in anyway you can think of

MY LHR FLIGHT WAS VIA DXB, ABOUT 11YRS AGO. WE GOT 3DAYS OFF IN DXB,4DAYS OFF IN LHR THEN BACK TO DXB FOR ANOTHER 2DAYS AND POSITION BACK TO KUL.YAHOO ENJOY ALL THE WAY RM4.20=1POUND

In the 70s, many people used to wear suits and the best in their wardrobes. Nowadays I can see people in shorts and sandals taking a flight. Very casual. How time has changed.

In the 70s, those US carriers even had lounge in Economy Class. The Diamond Zone "swivel chair" found on EY is nothing new. US carriers had those back in the 60s-late70s. I want to show you guys how luxurious the Trans World Airlines (TWA) L-1011 was (lounge in both First & Economy Class, lower deck galley, a big closet just for First Class passengers to stow their carry-ons), but since my scanner is not functioning now, may be next time. And by the way, 36" pitch in Economy was standard back in the 70s also (at least for US carriers).

I'd like to share with you about something written by a senior (retired) pilot of MH.

I join the airline too late to enjoy such a thing. For all those young pilots here, read and weep. :(

Blame it, among other things, competition, deregulation and low-cost carriers.

Those were the days...now even Kuantan and Singapore night stop taken off...To many daily flights... :(

thanx for sharing.............

Not only to airline pilot, but also to pax, my dad told me how flying were much better before than today.

Captain...

Is it a book or a blog?...

If it is where can i get the full version?

It is neither blog nor book. That is all he wrote in another forum.

It is neither blog nor book. That is all he wrote in another forum.

Ooo I see..

Isn't it nice if some one could really publish a book on it.

The Golden Age of Aviation: Malaysian Pilot's Memoir B)

Wouldnt it be marketable?...for aviation enthusiast, and for aspiring pilots

I agree with you...

Ooo I see..

Isn't it nice if some one could really publish a book on it.

The Golden Age of Aviation: Malaysian Pilot's Memoir B)

Wouldnt it be marketable?...for aviation enthusiast, and for aspiring pilots

I saw something similar but written by ex MH stewardess available at local bookstore.

Nowadays I can see people in shorts and sandals taking a flight. Very casual.

That'd be me today in CX J. :p

Sign in to follow this