MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Subang Terminal 3 To Cater For Jet Owners

Two quotes here:

1) The Cabinet has agreed for Terminal 3 at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang to be turned into a general aviation hub to cater specially for jet owners from around the world.

2) Chan also said the Cabinet had decided that the Penang-based Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), to fly to all domestic destinations and to Indonesia and Thailand from Subang ... Chan, however, said the services were only for turbo prop or propeller-powered planes.

But I don't understand why they need to specify prop planes.

+++

June 13, 2007 18:51 PM

Subang Terminal 3 To Cater For Jet Owners

PUTRAJAYA, June 13 (Bernama) -- The Cabinet has agreed for Terminal 3 at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang to be turned into a general aviation hub to cater specially for jet owners from around the world.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said the demand for such a hub is expected to increase due to the economic boom in Asia.

"Malaysia has very good potential to be an aviation hub given its strategic central location in this part of the world, plus the ample space and other releated facilities," he told reporters after presenting excellent service awards to 26 officers and staff of his ministry here today.

Chan said: "It is going to be a very lucrative business. We have all the ingredients to be very successful.

"We want private jet owners in the region to come and use Malaysia as a transit point enroute to Europe or for refuelling, maintenance and for other logistical needs."

Chan said the government would also talk to leading jet business operators from the US, Europe and Australia to expand their operations to Subang.

"We will be doing some upgrading work at the terminal to make it more conducive for jets to land for lot more aviation activities there," he said.

He expects the work to be completed in six to eight months.

Chan also said the Cabinet had decided that the Penang-based Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), to fly to all domestic destinations and to Indonesia and Thailand from Subang.

"From Subang, they can fly to destinations not served by either MAS or AirAsia," he said, adding that his ministry was studying Firefly's request to operate from Senai and Kota Kinabalu as well.

Chan, however, said the services were only for turbo prop or propeller-powered planes.

He also assured the people in Sabah and Sarawak that the government would provide reliable rural air services to the interior areas.

-- BERNAMA

If not probably AK will clamoring for the same perks... and start complaining about Government protection on MH.

I think MH can really start "disturbing" AK with Firefly operating out of Subang! That would be fun and consumers stand to benefit significantly.

But before going big...Firefly should really get a decent url for its website, especially if it plans to focus more on online ticket sales....

Follow-up story.

June 13, 2007 19:32 PM

Go-Ahead For Firefly To Operate From Subang - Chan

PUTRAJAYA, June 13 (Bernama) -- The Government has given the go-ahead to Firefly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), to operate from the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said today.

He said the Cabinet had decided that the Penang-based Firefly can fly to all domestic destinations not served by Malaysia Airlines and budget carrier AirAsia and to places in Indonesia and Thailand from Subang.

The Government is also studying Firefly's request to operate from Senai and Kota Kinabalu as well, he told reporters after presenting excellent service awards to 26 officers and staff of his ministry here today.

Chan said the services would be provided by turbo prop or propeller-powered planes as the airport has been designated for short-haul flights.

Currently, Firefly flies twice daily to Langkawi, Kota Baharu, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Phuket and Koh Samui.

It started commercial operations, using two 50-seater Fokker Friendship aircraft on domestic routes on April 3 and to international destinations 10 days later.

There have been speculations that the Government would allow Firefly to use Subang as its second operations base to offer short-haul flights to domestic and international destinations.

This include the routes from Subang to Ipoh, Senai, Banda Aceh, Padang and Medan in Indonesia.

The Tourism Ministry has been lobbying for Firefly to operate its flights from Subang as the move would help boost the tourism industry.

Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport or previously known as the Subang International Airport was the country's main international gateway from 1965 until 1998 before the international airport shifted to Sepang.

The airport took a backseat since then, mainly catering for a handful and small turbo-prop planes, chartered flights and helicopter services.

-- BERNAMA

And then we will hear from TF "Opps, we may revert back our decision of keeping FAX Turboprop division and this time will operate and based out of SZB and bring everyone cheap connectivity giving head to head "healthy" competition with FY."

*SNORT!!*

This will definitely disturb AK management, but only operate to airport that MH and AK dun serve? IPH only?

Bring back a service to Malacca! I would imagine Pekanbaru would be on the cards as well.

I would also imagine that a service from Penang to Ipoh or some connecting port with the flights from Subang to as to faciliate better a/c turnover (ie keep similar cycles/flight hours) and better facilitation of maintenance.

Two quotes here:

1) The Cabinet has agreed for Terminal 3 at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang to be turned into a general aviation hub to cater specially for jet owners from around the world.

2) Chan also said the Cabinet had decided that the Penang-based Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), to fly to all domestic destinations and to Indonesia and Thailand from Subang ... Chan, however, said the services were only for turbo prop or propeller-powered planes.

+++

maybe the ATC can't take it when they have the jet fighters to handle...lol

Bring back a service to Malacca! I would imagine Pekanbaru would be on the cards as well.

just heard on TV Chan Kong Choy (MOT) saying so - Melaka (note the spelling ;) ) is indeed in the cards.

And then we will hear from TF "Opps, we may revert back our decision of keeping FAX Turboprop division and this time will operate and based out of SZB and bring everyone cheap connectivity giving head to head "healthy" competition with FY."

*SNORT!!*

Typical of TF to be crying foul anyway.

SZB - Ipoh

SZB - Melaka

SZB - Kerteh

anyone? :)

What about?

TPG/MEP

TPG/IPH

TPG/PEN

TPG/SWY

TPG/BWH

TPG/SZB

TPG/MKZ

Good for tourists to visit north Perak.

:drinks:

What about?

TPG/MEP

TPG/IPH

TPG/PEN

TPG/SWY

TPG/BWH

TPG/SZB

TPG/MKZ

Good for tourists to visit north Perak.

TPG - IPH and TPG - PEN would be very short flights.

MAS external audit has been started these few days starting with 2 fax f50 in szb, it's a neutral party. Firefly operations will be run by berjaya air in terminal 3.

There is a mkt for SZB-Kerteh. Apart from the usual oil & gas industry folks, some of the nice & popular resorts are closer from kerteh than from TGG or KUA.

The way I see it, FY can slowly request to extend its coverage to cover other towns by aggressive lobbying once it has built a case to support this.

Taiping? You're kidding, right?

But I agree flight to KTE is a good move. There should be a market for it.

Where is SWY?

I bet TF will bring his FAX team down to SZB............

Hmm but SZB suppose to be for turboprop and private jet only airport.. Since FAX is the one to suggest there should be only 1 turboprop operator in the country, I dont see a way for them to operate from SZB.

Unless the government retract the turboprop requirement... which is not impossible...

..... Firefly operations will be run by berjaya air in terminal 3.

Care to elaborate ? Meaning Berjaya Air flying its birds on behalf of Firefly (wet lease ?) or just the ground operations ?

I have been waiting this annoucement ever since KLIA was opened :). With all the hassle of going to KLIA from my area (Shah Alam), it just doesn't make much sense to fly to PEN, KUA or JHB, let alone IPH. The market from SZB is huge and MH's previous business model did not allow simultaneous operations out of both airports but now it's different with Firefly around.

I would expect Firefly would soon look something like Pelangi Air's network. Link : [1997 Route Map]

Or maybe MH can let KUA be served by Firefly?

MH would probably retain at least 1 daily KLIA service to KUA to connect to European evening services. Tourism in Cherating for European visitors is big business, plus I wouldn't understimate the interference from Tourism Ministry and Pahang Govt. For us KL/KUA folks, SZB is the way to go.

After operating from KUL for 9 years, it is about time for the government to admit having KUL 70+ km away from the city is never a wise choice. The MoT should abandon the idea to make KUL a regional hub that never will, and it is about time to reopen SZB for schedule flights.

SZB is always the preferred airport for its proximity to the cities even if the flight is turboprop.

After operating from KUL for 9 years, it is about time for the government to admit having KUL 70+ km away from the city is never a wise choice.

Not really. SZB was too crowded for for expansion, there is no space for a second runway. The surroundings will require curfew and noise abatements.

KLIA is perfectly located for the big jets. SZB is good for some smaller aircraft activities. I agree it is nice to have some flights from SZB too.

What the government is planning for SZB now is perfect, in my view.

Sign in to follow this