MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

MH planning a "big bang" next yr: service enhancements

Financially, MH must be really in a very good position for next year as Idris & Co have just announced enhancements, as per below. (Must be nice to be one of the spies...but really, if MH takes seriously the comments & criticisms of its many spies aka pax, MH can improve substantially, especially its service recovery methods & appalling ground service..) But I think we may have to wait at least until 2008 at the earliest to get any real major hardware enhancements like replacements/ upgrade of ancient cabins of A330 and 734.

From AP:

SUBANG, Malaysia: Malaysia Airlines will embark on a major effort to improve service that will include reducing fares and sending "spies" on rivals' flights to find out what they do better, the national carrier's chief said Wednesday.

"We are going to ramp this up in the new year with a very, very big bang," Malaysia Airline System Bhd. chief executive Idris Jala told reporters. "This is the long march for MAS."

Idris said the company would spend around 200 million ringgit (US$56.28 million; €42.22 million) over the next five years to upgrade its ticketing system. By January, it will review ticket prices to match the lowest offered by its competition on similar routes and possibly review its fuel surcharge, Idris said.

"The trade secret is we must establish the lowest fare. The objective is to make sure we are matching the competition."

Last month, the carrier reported its first profit in five quarters. The airline slashed jobs, shut down unprofitable routes, introduced more fiscal discipline and sold it its former headquarters in Kuala Lumpur this year as part of a restructuring to return to the black in 2007.

The 90-minute press briefing by Jala and top executives Wednesday included several price comparisons with regional rivals Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways and Gulf Air. It also included a business class chart comparison between its own service and Singapore Airlines.

All international routes will have designated seats matching their competition's lowest fare, Idris said.

"You don't turn around the numbers if you don't underpin it with real activities on the ground," Idris said. "This is a revolution for Malaysia Airlines in terms of what we are doing for customers."

He said Malaysia Airlines has already assigned seven people as "full time ... spies" who have started flying on rival airlines to compare services.

"They are better in some areas" for ground services while researchers found inflight services on both airlines to be on par, said Nita Malek, who flew Singapore Airlines to gauge its service.

Among the other changes planned are round-the-clock monitoring of ticket prices to match the competition, roadshows to attract better-educated cabin staff, remedial classes for crew not conversant in English and 125 customer-related changes.

Citing flights to China as an example, Idris also said he would like crews to know more about the geography and history of destinations as well as be able to converse with passengers in their native languages.

Edited by mushrif a

You don't need to send spies to other airlines, that is just a waste of money.

Instead, listen to your CUSTOMER's feedback. That is a start.

*rolleyes*

good point Edwin, but i'll happily do it for free. They can send me anywhere!

Anyways this sounds enticing, cant wait till it really happens

Citing flights to China as an example, Idris also said he would like crews to know more about the geography and history of destinations as well as be able to converse with passengers in their native languages.

This is the pay off time for us as a multicultural nation. In this case, those who went thru Chinese secondary schools have a good grip on the language and history which will be put to good use.

For other countries, such as New Zealand and Australia, they will probably have to rely on the migrant population as their natives can do very little in this field.

good point Edwin, but i'll happily do it for free. They can send me anywhere!

I seconded that. Plus Red Color MAB passes so that we can take photos from apron at all MAB airport (except Senai).

From past experience, one can’t have high expectation.

:drinks:

Actually, there have been occasions when the "high expectations" were realized. Problem was sustainability of those high standards. It is a pity

seems like MH is counting the eggs before they hatch. shouldn't they make sure they are really back in the black, instead of reporting profit figures mainly from unreduced fuel surcharges, before embarking on another stage of investment?

in addition, how much can they do to upgrade their fleet to match that of SQ's latest interiors on the 773ER when their last recent product upgrade was not too long ago?

Edited by Kiyoshi Takizawa

"They are better in some areas" for ground services while researchers found inflight services on both airlines to be on par, said Nita Malek, who flew Singapore Airlines to gauge its service.

I would say they're about the same for ground services; with SQ slightly ahead due to the excellent Silver Kris Lounge in SIN with its excellent selection of wines and champagnes.

Onboard - my limited experience with MH suggests that cabin crews are very earnest and eager to please, however they aren't as slick and professional as SQ. They are both quite equal in the friendliness stakes, don't get me wrong. It's hard to put my finger on it, but MH crews lack the extra elegant touch that SQ crews seem to possess. Has something to do with their posture, mannerisms, their poise etc. JMHO.

For ground service - don't bother with SQ or CX. Deploy the spies to LH's operations at FRA, especially the FCT. :D

Edited by Keith T

I would say they're about the same for ground services; with SQ slightly ahead due to the excellent Silver Kris Lounge in SIN with its excellent selection of wines and champagnes.

Keith,

While I have only been to the MH Lounge at KLIA only once, and that was about 2 years ago, I found that lounge to be very impressive. The food and drink selection is adequate, and you also get a good view on the ramp. The lounge is also roomy enough.

Anyway, I think it is still early to talk about service enhancements. Let's perform for a few more quarters, and once we have both feet on the ground (operating profitably), then we can start talk about service enhancements.

Onboard - my limited experience with MH suggests that cabin crews are very earnest and eager to please, however they aren't as slick and professional as SQ. They are both quite equal in the friendliness stakes, don't get me wrong. It's hard to put my finger on it, but MH crews lack the extra elegant touch that SQ crews seem to possess. Has something to do with their posture, mannerisms, their poise etc. JMHO.

I have less experience with SQ, well last flight with them was like 5 years ago :p

Yes MH crew eager to please you, but I found them very varies. On some flights, they are unhappy(night flight) but most flight they are happy to get their job done right! I might use SIA service again this coming MNL trip as the price offered by them is way cheaper than MH, hope I can experience another world class airlines. About handling, MH done a really bad job due to the incident from last summer, disappointed us :(

Keith,

While I have only been to the MH Lounge at KLIA only once, and that was about 2 years ago, I found that lounge to be very impressive. The food and drink selection is adequate, and you also get a good view on the ramp. The lounge is also roomy enough.

I wish I was equally impressed. Yes physically the lounge is rather roomy and has a good view of the ramp like the LH FCL. But I am more concerned about the beverage selection as I don't look out to the ramp much anyway. Both lounges are also well-stocked with food, with MH having proper restaurant style seating. Both have good satays - but I had to avoid the gravy in the MH lounge as there wasn't a non-spicy option.

But again: for me - booze! They ran out of beer the first (out of 2) time I was there. The range of drinks wasn't as comprehensive a selection as the SKL SIN, both F and C. This was in 2002 - I've not flown MH internationally since. :sorry: So perhaps improvements have been made. :)

I'm lucky both times at the Golden Lounge were non-peak times so it was relatively quiet. The SKL SIN can get horribly crowded at peak times. :o Bring on T3.

But I maintain that NOTHING in the world beats LH's lounges. :D

Edited by Keith T

Financially, MH must be really in a very good position for next year as Idris & Co have just announced enhancements, as per below. (Must be nice to be one of the spies...but really, if MH takes seriously the comments & criticisms of its many spies aka pax, MH can improve substantially, especially its service recovery methods & appalling ground service..) But I think we may have to wait at least until 2008 at the earliest to get any real major hardware enhancements like replacements/ upgrade of ancient cabins of A330 and 734.

From AP:

SUBANG, Malaysia: Malaysia Airlines will embark on a major effort to improve service that will include reducing fares and sending "spies" on rivals' flights to find out what they do better, the national carrier's chief said Wednesday.

"We are going to ramp this up in the new year with a very, very big bang," Malaysia Airline System Bhd. chief executive Idris Jala told reporters. "This is the long march for MAS."

Idris said the company would spend around 200 million ringgit (US$56.28 million; €42.22 million) over the next five years to upgrade its ticketing system. By January, it will review ticket prices to match the lowest offered by its competition on similar routes and possibly review its fuel surcharge, Idris said.

"The trade secret is we must establish the lowest fare. The objective is to make sure we are matching the competition."

Last month, the carrier reported its first profit in five quarters. The airline slashed jobs, shut down unprofitable routes, introduced more fiscal discipline and sold it its former headquarters in Kuala Lumpur this year as part of a restructuring to return to the black in 2007.

The 90-minute press briefing by Jala and top executives Wednesday included several price comparisons with regional rivals Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways and Gulf Air. It also included a business class chart comparison between its own service and Singapore Airlines.

All international routes will have designated seats matching their competition's lowest fare, Idris said.

"You don't turn around the numbers if you don't underpin it with real activities on the ground," Idris said. "This is a revolution for Malaysia Airlines in terms of what we are doing for customers."

He said Malaysia Airlines has already assigned seven people as "full time ... spies" who have started flying on rival airlines to compare services.

Among the other changes planned are round-the-clock monitoring of ticket prices to match the competition, roadshows to attract better-educated cabin staff, remedial classes for crew not conversant in English and 125 customer-related changes.

The best spies for MAS are here in MalaysianWings

Damn those lucky 7, get to fly free full time around the world

Edited by Fitri Shukri

But again: for me - booze!

But I maintain that NOTHING in the world beats LH's lounges. :D

Maybe you should check out QR new premium terminal for both F & J class at DOH. Along similar lines as LH first class terminal.

As for booze, I think due to religious sensitivities, MH tends not to be too agressive in promoting this...but its lounges at KUL is easily up there with top ones in the world. And the F side is always deserted, especially now that F is only available on 744s and SIN routes.

SQ's SKL in S'pore may have a bar, but it is dark, crowded and extremely disappointing for a top airline, especially at its home base. In fact, apart from the F&B, it is beginning to look like UA's dreaded RCC.

As for LH lounges, I think you are only talking about its First Class terminal - the rest of its lounges at various parts of FRA are hardly worth talking about...crowded & spartan spread of food.

seems like MH is counting the eggs before they hatch. shouldn't they make sure they are really back in the black, instead of reporting profit figures mainly from unreduced fuel surcharges, before embarking on another stage of investment?

in addition, how much can they do to upgrade their fleet to match that of SQ's latest interiors on the 773ER when their last recent product upgrade was not too long ago?

Two points here:

- Reported profit figures came from financial quarter ending 30-Sep-06 when there was no justification to reduce fuel surcharges, as fuel price remained high during that period. As for counting the chicks (not eggs) before they hatch, I believe the spreadsheet-type folks already know what the projected numbers are before committing anything.

- I think the investments leading to service enhancements mentioned here are the relatively minor types, which will not cripple cashflow. Major hardware investments will probably be made only in/from 2008 and since the 380s will arrive only around 2009, there is time to introduce some jaw-dropping products into these flagships, if MH is willing to spend and think outside the box.

The best spies for MAS are here in MalaysianWings

Damn those lucky 7, get to fly free full time around the world

One of them is Kelvin :pardon:

What a waste of money, they don't need spies, if they do, why don't just keep it as secret.

They(MAS) just need to experience flying itself and improve what they not comfortable at inflight

As for LH lounges, I think you are only talking about its First Class terminal - the rest of its lounges at various parts of FRA are hardly worth talking about...crowded & spartan spread of food.

The First Class Lounges in the main terminal are very nice too. :) The FCT is nicer obviously as lots of people who connect in FRA only stay in the FCL; only crazy people like me enter Germany, exit the terminal building into the cold (a lift is provided but it means an average deprivation of 10 minutes you could spend in the FCT as you have to wait for them to organise the lift), and walk up 200 m to the FCT. But apart from the chauffeured limo ride to the aircraft, the FCLs have the same facilities as the FCT, right down to rubber duckies for your bath. ;)

The Senator and Business Lounges can also be very nice - depends on which ones you go to. I find that the ones in concourse A are usually nicer (same goes for the FCL). The ones in concourse B tend to be crowded by lots of Star Alliance Gold elites. In fact it was the overwhelming number of *A elites/*A F pax that prompted LH to build FCLs. Only LH or LX F BPs will get you into these (unlike SKL F where you can get in with any *A F BP). FRA is a very hassle-free airport when you can prance around the various areas despite what ur BP says. Heck I entered concourse A despite not having a departure there and I was only armed with an incoming BP - the immigration officer only giggled when I said I was entering for the better lounges in A. :D

And I was also referring to the efficiency, albeit soulless, that characterises much of how FRA operates.

But of course, I was under the impression that we're comparing the best of each airline's ground service, and I do maintain that neither the SKL nor Wing/Pier Lounges not MH F lounges beat the LH FCLs/FCT. I can't comment on the QR ones until I get to sample them, ie when they join *A.

Edited by Keith T

As for booze, I think due to religious sensitivities, MH tends not to be too agressive in promoting this...

Religious sensitivities have not stopped EK have they? ;)

As long as MH is an international airline - it's got to appeal to everyone. Yes some might not mind the absence of booze, but I was just stating things from my POV and in that category the SKL is nicer.

Religious sensitivities have not stopped EK have they? ;)

As long as MH is an international airline - it's got to appeal to everyone. Yes some might not mind the absence of booze, but I was just stating things from my POV and in that category the SKL is nicer.

Does EK have a full bar (ala SKL) at its DXB lounges?

MH still very much appeals to the international crowd despite the absence of a proper bar within the KUL lounges (but nothing in the domestic lounge though) but they do have some booze tucked away in the corner. MH is not that discreet when it comes to serving alcoholic beevrages onboard - just that MH does not showcase it at the lounges, which is a negative point from your POV.

As for LH's FRA lounges, yes you have to give to the Germans for the cold ruthless efficiency.

Does EK have a full bar (ala SKL) at its DXB lounges?

Haven't been to the DXB ones as I've only flown EK transtasman - but I've heard accounts in the affirmative.

MH still very much appeals to the international crowd despite the absence of a proper bar within the KUL lounges (but nothing in the domestic lounge though) but they do have some booze tucked away in the corner. MH is not that discreet when it comes to serving alcoholic beevrages onboard - just that MH does not showcase it at the lounges, which is a negative point from your POV.

Don;t get me wrong - I was only referring to their lounges. Their onboard product is fine apart from what I've pointed out.

As for LH's FRA lounges, yes you have to give to the Germans for the cold ruthless efficiency.

LOL woe betide anyone (F pax included - which is why it's a good idea to make the short trip to the FCT if you can) who arrives at the general boarding gate late - you'll actually be yelled at and, as a mate of mine was unfortunate enough to experience, shoved down the aerobridge. To their credit though, LH (and airlines handled by them at FRA and other German airports) has an almost immaculate punctuality performance and neither do they leave people behind (much).

Edited by Keith T

ha.. was in FRA last month - did not use the first class lounge so I can't comment. The senator lounges were not that good. Crowded with *golds, poor food selection, not very clean. I checked out both the lounges in A and B and also the busines class lounges in both. Not very impressed, especially after experiencing the Austrian Airlines lounge in Vie. So Keith, now I am dying to try out the FCT!

Then I flew SQ - *A lounge in Zurich is very nice. But Silver Kris lounge in SIN... gosh, over crowded. The second time through I decided to leave and go to the SATS premier lounge instead for some space and peace and quiet. SQ is not such a great experience for me anymore because everythng about it has become difficult. Difficult to get tickets, difficult to get a nice seat selection, difficult to get space in the lounge, priority tags on your baggage is useless because everyone has the same tags. It is a victim of its own success. But I tell you what though, if something goes wrong, i.e., delay, missed flights, you want to be on SQ because their ground service is immaculate. Having flown MH earlier this year, I have to say I prefer MH in every aspect apart from the ground service, which is really really below par. Interestingly, as SQ starts to cut capacity with their new business class and start charging more, MH for me becomes a more viable option for business trips.

On the issue of drink selection, my observation is that MH staff are not well educated on drinks. I mean, when they top up your wine they really top it up. Generosity is one thing, but proper drinking eitiquette/culture is a different thing. So I guess this is simply because most Malaysians do not have much experience with drinks. This could explain why they don't have the "good stuff".

And I was also referring to the efficiency, albeit soulless, that characterises much of how FRA operates.

Now that is 'Deutsche Gruendlichkeit' or 'German efficiency/thoroughness' :pardon:

On the issue of drink selection, my observation is that MH staff are not well educated on drinks. I mean, when they top up your wine they really top it up. Generosity is one thing, but proper drinking eitiquette/culture is a different thing.

They might want to save the hassle of keep topping up the wine, that's why just top it up to the max at one goal. Good for alcoholic haha :drinks:

MH is not that discreet when it comes to serving alcoholic beevrages onboard

Had another experience with MH when I flew them, although it's 4 years ago and on a domestic flight (KUL-BKI): let me share - was seated at an aisle seat with a Muslim couple next to me...upon asking what I would like to drink, I said "a beer please", the F/A apologized and said she would return later to me for that and offered me OJ in the meantime :good:

5 minutes later, she returned with a Carlsberg can wrapped in tissue-paper and, once again, apologized for not having this drink on her trolley :pardon: It's was nicely chilled, so, I couldn't complain for not coming from the trolley :D

Do believe, this had to do with my neighbour passengers ;)

I believe business class ticket fares include the cost of serving alcoholic drinks should the passanger requests so. I wish there will be a way for lower business class fares for passengers who don't drink alcoholic beverages. Or perhaps the same fare but substitute non-drinking passenger drink choice with premium drinks like sparkling grape juice etc. which have no alcohol content.

Sign in to follow this