MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kee Hooi Yen

Kuwait Airways Returning To KUL

Russia's Aeroflot will likely resume direct flights next year from Moscow to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's national news agency reported Friday.

Very good if true. Wonder what aircraft they are going to use ... IL96 is not bad also. Hehe

Tengku Adnan, quoted by Bernama news agency, said Aeroflot Chief Executive Valery Okulov has assured him that the flights would be launched once Aeroflot takes delivery of Boeing and Airbus planes that it has ordered within the next several months.

What plane SU order from Boeing ? 763 ?

Aeroflot stopped flying to Malaysia in the early 1990s because of congestion problems at the Southeast Asian nation's old international airport, Tengku Adnan said.

Erm ... not exactly. SU ceased flying to KUL in year 2001. If i'm not mistaken. Or around year 2000-2002. I'm very sure it wasn't in the early 90s. They flight had 2 stops (SIN & Sharjah) using 313. They stopped flying here due to poor load.

If any airport has contracted in recent times, it has to be SIN. 2 airlines are leaving soon - NZ in October, and OS in March. Not major airlines, but still notable ones. Especially NZ as SIN is supposed to be its base for Asian operations.

Both *A too. :blink:

If any airport has contracted in recent times, it has to be SIN. 2 airlines are leaving soon - NZ in October, and OS in March. Not major airlines, but still notable ones. Especially NZ as SIN is supposed to be its base for Asian operations.

Both *A too. :blink:

You're Rite Keith..But with MAS Reducing it's Frequency to AKL, In the Future we might see a Air NZ T7 flying the AKL-KUL-AKL Route..Hopefully this comes true.. :)

Edited by Raj

787 and 350's .... hmmm.. next year?

Kevin, don't think so; see this:

September 15, 2006

Aeroflot has postponed indefinitely its decision on a USD$3 billion order for 22 long-haul aircraft which was being competed for by Boeing and Airbus.

Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner aircraft has been seen by analysts as the front runner for the Aeroflot order, with a firm order book of 377 planes and production set to come on stream in 2008, while Airbus is still in the early design stage of its USD$10 billion project to develop its rival A350.

"The date of the new board meeting is not set yet. The final decision is being put off," Aeroflot's Deputy Director General Lev Koshlyakov said.

Koshlyakov gave no reason for the delayed decision.

Russian media have speculated that the final decision is up in the air because the state -- the majority shareholder in Aeroflot -- is itself uncertain as to what kind of planes to choose.

While business logic argued for Boeing, politics complicate the decision as Russia conducts delicate bilateral talks with the United States that could pave the way for it to join the World Trade Organization.

Meanwhile a Russian state bank has just bought a 5 percent stake in Airbus owner EADS with the Kremlin eager for a strategic holding and say in running the European aerospace group.

Time is becoming an especially sensitive issue as Russian President Vladimir Putin prepares to take part in a Franco-German-Russian summit in Paris on September 23.

EADS politely rebuffed on Thursday statements from Moscow that it was interested in taking a blocking minority stake in it. The EADS issue however is expected to be high on the Paris summit's agenda.

A senior Aeroflot executive said this week the Russian airline might double its 22 plane order and possibly split it between the competing bidders.

That, say analysts, would enable Aeroflot to reinforce its 90 plane fleet with Boeings and get involved in a strategic partnership with Airbus to expand its fleet at a later date.

But a political decision in which Aeroflot hedges its bets would come at a price -- the airline would have to bear the extra costs of servicing and maintaining two different models of long-haul airliner.

(Reuters)

You're Rite Keith..But with MAS Reducing it's Frequency to AKL, In the Future we might see a Air NZ T7 flying the AKL-KUL-AKL Route..Hopefully this comes true.. :)

It was actually a silly decision to drop SIN just because of the lack of OD demand. SIN was historically set up to be the hub of South East Asia (so that NZ could drop its routes to KUL, DPS, BKK etc and save costs), and provides a much better hub to Asia generally than HKG will be. Load factors to SIN are regularly good, with reasonable yields despite the presence of SQ and to a lesser extent, QF. SIN was never meant to be a pure OD destination like NRT or TPE. Now can you imagine if someone in AKL wants to fly NZ to Southeast Asia, say KUL, SIN, BKK or even CGK - and having to do a detour via HKG? And if there is awesome demand for North Asia, why are NZ's routes to places like NRT and KIX struggling?

AKL-KUL-AKL would be nice but the intention of scrapping SIN was to set up HKG as NZ's new regional hub and focus on North Asia. So they're effectively handing all SEA-bound pax to SQ as people would much rather fly directly than do a long detour via HKG.

Edited by Keith T

ST. PETERSBURG (Russia), Sept 18 (Bernama) -- ...............Things like flight connections are expected to be a thing of the past when Aeroflot and Fin Air of Finland resume flights directly from Moscow and Helsinki respectively to Kuala Lumpur soon...........Another Russian airline, Transaero has also shown interest to service the Kuala Lumpur-Moscow route...............

-Aeroflot coming next year?? Looks like it to me

Transaero said to start Russia-KUL route early next year............didn't they use to come here????

Anyway, Aeroflot and Transaero coming here is promising :good:

ST. PETERSBURG (Russia), Sept 18 (Bernama) -- ...............Things like flight connections are expected to be a thing of the past when Aeroflot and Fin Air of Finland resume flights directly from Moscow and Helsinki respectively to Kuala Lumpur soon...........Another Russian airline, Transaero has also shown interest to service the Kuala Lumpur-Moscow route...............

-Aeroflot coming next year?? Looks like it to me

Transaero said to start Russia-KUL route early next year............didn't they use to come here????

Anyway, Aeroflot and Transaero coming here is promising :good:

Sadly, although a journalist not in the industry, I feel that the journalist reporting the article above, usually the case of some ignorant journalist, has misinformed people about the aviation news. Transaero already operated to KUL since last year but MUST have pulled out for some obvious reasons......so this people have to get their facts right when they do reporting, its not even a method to try and capture the audience but a mere ignorance on the journalist' part.

:help: :help: :help:

.....besides, it's FINNAIR not FIN AIR :angry:

Just checked on amadeus.net and it stated that KU will soon terminate the KWI-BKK-KUL service for a

KWI-KUL-CGK service starting in the second half of 2007. The flight which is operated now on an A340

will soon be changed to an A310 when the new service begins.

KU 415

KWI 2350

KUL 1320

KUL 1420

CGK 1510

KU 416

CGK 2305

KUL 0205

KUL 0315

KWI 0635

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Edited by kandiah k

Kuwait airways increases flight destinations

20 October 2009

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidZAWYA20091020111050

COLOMBO -- Kuwait Airways said Tuesday that it has increased the number of its flights to Alexandria, Paris, Rome, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta and some other destinations to meet up with the growing demand.

The corporation aims at achieving high revenues and boosting operations through assuring that its services meet demand, Chief of Kuwait Airway's Information Office Saad Al-Otaibi said during a trip to the Sri Lankan capital Colombo, organized by the company for media representatives.

The visit is aimed at promoting trips to beautiful destinations that the corporation offer with competitive prices, he said.

After privatizing Kuwait Airways, it became a profit oriented company, he said, noting that facilitated the execution of projects.

He said that decision was most needed especially that the decision-making process in the market requires flexibility and time factor plays a great role, he said.

He noted that the company's asset of qualified and capable staff and a 55-year of experience are basic factors for competitiveness and success.

© KUNA (Kuwait News Agency) 2009

However, no specific mention of the increase. I wonder how many of us here are aware of KU's schedule into KUL. Interesting to see if MH's planned 3 new Middle Eastern destinations is inclusive of Kuwait City, will this news jeopardise MH's strategy?

My university is planning to go to London this December, and the cheapest fare I found is Kuwait Airways'. But the lecturers are rather apprehensive about this airline, probably they haven't heard of them.

So I would like to ask for opinions from you all: is this airline OK, or should we stick with EK?

One of my friends is a KU cabin crew; KU is a dry airline, most pax take KU because it is the cheapest fare, cabin crews are from Malaysia, Philippines, Egypt, etc and don’t expect similar service level like EK or EY.

:drinks:

It's just OK. Relatively no frills amongst the full service carriers (but a lot more frills than D7). But it is just as safe as any other airline. You will get your hot meals, beverage service etc, but it will be pretty obvious KU spends less on meal quality, has limited IFE and other less-than-new hardware. KWI airport is passable for transits, maybe not much worse than DOH (if travelling in Y/ non-QR). KWI airport amenities/ shopping airside reminds me of CMB.

If you said that you could stick to EK et al, it means that you may have the budget to do so. Hence, go for EK or the like.

But if on tight budget, than KU it is.

To LHR from KWI, you may get the 772 that goes onwards to JFK, or an old A300-600R.

It's just that the airline, while it still works, is in dire need of a make-over, cabin refurbishment, new investment in hardware and better trained customer-oriented crew.

From my reading, I regard KU to be in the same league as GF, I think it is OK, but definitely not in the same class as EK, EY and QR.

I would rank it slightly below GF, as GF tends to put a bit more effort to make the most of its limited hardware/ infra/ facilities.

In fact, I would rank KU at par with SV, if you exclude the recent SV enhancements like its new Airbuses, and cabin refurbishments on the 772.

Thanks you all for the feedbacks.

The fare on KU is about RM3078, which is at least RM500 cheaper than other alternatives (including D7), but it obviously doesn't come with IFE like ICE on EK, and the comments on Skytrax are rather negative about their service. Still it is really hard to beat the price.

I asked the lecturer in charge of the trip and he said he had secured the price for the seats. I really hope everything works out.

Another airline bites the dust in KUL - Kuwait Airways.

In line with Kuwait Airways’ phased commercial strategy to enhance its network and schedule, the airline is announcing the suspension of its services carrying passengers between London Heathrow and New York’s JFK airport.

The airline is also cancelling all direct services between Kuwait and Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Sohag, and Alexandria with effect from 28th March 2016. As in the case of ‘Fifth Freedom’ services between London and New York, Kuwait Airways will also suspend services between Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta for summer 2016.

http://www.aviator.aero/press_releases/26797

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz