MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

KLIA Topics - Master thread needed?

Looks like the charter to/fro Guangzhou (Batik, 9M-LRL) did not happen, equipment diverted to BKI enroute from KUL and returned thereafter

Must be some frustrated holiday makers at CAN now

But I see flights resuming at both TWU and SDK already

BKI seems to be okay. Most of the issue is now related to peninsula flights to East coast sabah and most of sarawak that require higher cruise level from peninsula.

440012644_973409407500957_1917672840785950439_n.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-01 133019.png

During busy period, klia taxi tried to upsell claiming budget and premier class not avilable which often is not true.

15 hours ago, KK Lee said:

During busy period, klia taxi tried to upsell claiming budget and premier class not avilable which often is not true.

they have been doing it for years. The tickets are usually valid for a month and I used to call their bluff by getting a budget ticket and finding that the queue wasn't that long. A few times they tried to refuse to sell and I made some noise and they relented. a couple of times it was genuine and I end up on the train and use teh ticket the following week. 

I have the impression that the KLIA budget or exec taxis are more expensive than metered taxis or Grab since they are all by zones? Or was I mistaken? I haven't taken the official KLIA taxis in ages and Grab was quite a long time ago since the train is quite convenient now.

How bad was the thunderstorm around 14:00-16:00 today at KUL? Departing flights were severely delayed and a few arrivals were diverted (KL809 to SZB, FM889 to SIN, MH53 to JHB, IU820 to MKZ 🧐 etc.). Oddly enough Air Asia seems to have fewer diversions. 

9 hours ago, Craig said:

I have the impression that the KLIA budget or exec taxis are more expensive than metered taxis or Grab since they are all by zones? Or was I mistaken? I haven't taken the official KLIA taxis in ages and Grab was quite a long time ago since the train is quite convenient now.

Free taxi from credit card.

MAHB to be privatized. EPF, Khazanah and GIP will buy shareholders out.

GIP operates Gatwick, Edinburgh, London City and Sydney airports.

Really can't wait to see the public reaction :D

46 minutes ago, jani said:

MAHB to be privatized. EPF, Khazanah and GIP will buy shareholders out.

GIP operates Gatwick, Edinburgh, London City and Sydney airports.

Really can't wait to see the public reaction :D

When all is not well, privatized...using taxpayers money. Profit/ loss hide behind screen. Sounds very familiar.......where have i hear did before?? Good job Malaysia! 

This comes a day after they made Mohamed Rastam Shahrom permanent CEO of MAHB after seven months as acting group chief executive officer. https://theedgemalaysia.com/node/711452

35 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

When all is not well, privatized...using taxpayers money. Profit/ loss hide behind screen. Sounds very familiar.......where have i hear did before?? Good job Malaysia! 

This comes a day after they made Mohamed Rastam Shahrom permanent CEO of MAHB after seven months as acting group chief executive officer. https://theedgemalaysia.com/node/711452

would love to know the inside story.

MAHB have been pretty poor and now trying to play catch up

7 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

They like this model because they do not need to disclose any information to the stock market. So accountability is now zero.

On 5/15/2024 at 5:08 PM, kandiah k said:

Permanent CEO? Is that even possible? 

He's been the caretaker CEO. He is the CFO.

23 hours ago, flee said:

They like this model because they do not need to disclose any information to the stock market. So accountability is now zero.

There are many ways to look at it. Up to your own eyes.

Changi is not listed. Is the accountability zero?

MAHB will now not be "accountable" to public investors, but will be accountable, directly, to Khazanah, EPF and more importantly GIP and ADIA.

18 minutes ago, jani said:

He's been the caretaker CEO. He is the CFO.

There are many ways to look at it. Up to your own eyes.

Changi is not listed. Is the accountability zero?

MAHB will now not be "accountable" to public investors, but will be accountable, directly, to Khazanah, EPF and more importantly GIP and ADIA.

Comparing one of the world's best airport and one of the worst (at least in Asia Pacific above 40mil to 100mil pax category) is delusional. You need to come up with better argument points 

1 hour ago, jani said:

Agreed. I feel like public listed doesn't mean it wouldn't be subjected to leakages or government intervention. I highly doubt EPF and Khazanah as major shareholders would want to mess around their portfolio and GIP/ADIA would want to invest in loss-making or funny accounting companies. MAHB has fiduciary duty to ensure that their shareholders get their return on investment. They would have done their due diligence. I think this more of MAHB trying to raise funds for future projects.

I quite like what MAHB has done with the T1 satellite now. It's quite nice. They could replace the glass lifts, escalators, and transfer counters tho. Some retail does seem a bit tight but I guess they didn't design it for a lot of retail back in the 90s. 

Edited by Craig

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Agreed. I feel like public listed doesn't mean it wouldn't be subjected to leakages or government intervention. I highly doubt EPF and Khazanah as major shareholders would want to mess around their portfolio and GIP/ADIA would want to invest in loss-making or funny accounting companies. MAHB has fiduciary duty to ensure that their shareholders get their return on investment. They would have done their due diligence. I think this more of MAHB trying to raise funds for future projects.

I quite like what MAHB has done with the T1 satellite now. It's quite nice. They could replace the glass lifts, escalators, and transfer counters tho. Some retail does seem a bit tight but I guess they didn't design it for a lot of retail back in the 90s. 

Im curious how close they are to needing an additional satellite terminal. 

39 minutes ago, Robert said:

Im curious how close they are to needing an additional satellite terminal. 

Very lol. When they built T1 as it is, it was meant to handle 25 MPPA. I think they tweaked it a little and it can handle. T1 handled 7.224 MM pax from January to March this year. Assuming the same number of pax travel for the rest of the quarters, it will hit around 28-29 MPPA. 

So I suppose MTB can handle 50 million ppa if Satellite B is built? Or do they have plans to also expand the MTB to accommodate more capacity in view of Satellite B? 

MTB is facing shortage of parking bays especially during the morning wave. In some cases change over times between departing and arriving aircraft are as low as 5mins. Due to the nature of airline operations and inefficacies of KUL ATC (poorest ATC management) in the region, unnecessary delays are caused due to this. It's not going to get any better with OD and MH adding more capacity from here. Perhaps open bay operations are a short term fix, but our climate is not welcoming anyways. Rains and heatwave will not be conducive for passengers. KLIA users are paying the price for the lack of planning by MAHB.  

Edited by Pall

51 minutes ago, Pall said:

MTB is facing shortage of parking bays especially during the morning wave. In some cases change over times between departing and arriving aircraft are as low as 5mins. Due to the nature of airline operations and inefficacies of KUL ATC (poorest ATC management) in the region, unnecessary delays are caused due to this. It's not going to get any better with OD and MH adding more capacity from here. Perhaps open bay operations are a short term fix, but our climate is not welcoming anyways. Rains and heatwave will not be conducive for passengers. KLIA users are paying the price for the lack of planning by MAHB.  

Not forgetting the slurry instruction from the air traffic controllers. There have been few disputes among the local and foreign carriers with the ATC. 

If they need to build Satellite B, the time would be now. From designing to project delivery it will take at least three to five years, provided there is no project delay. Assuming T1 was designed to handle 25MPPA, and they have handled 7.2mil pax from Jan to March this year, that would be around 30mil annually, above the 25mil they were designed for. As a reference, Singapore Changi will start the construction of T5 next year, and will be operational by mid-2030s but T5 is a much bigger project.

Time for the cronies to get their team ready for this major project.

6 hours ago, kandiah k said:

So I suppose MTB can handle 50 million ppa if Satellite B is built? Or do they have plans to also expand the MTB to accommodate more capacity in view of Satellite B? 

Each satellite can accommodate 20 MPPA. But the problem doesn't just end there. The bottle neck will be outbound and inbound immigration (as if both aren't bad enough on some days). That area is permanent. They could do what BKK did and doubling the counters by making one front and one to the back. I think there were plans for this at KUL now.

However, immigration will still be a bottle neck at BKK because they just opened a new satellite concourse, the S  gates. Whilst this will alleviate gate availability and floor space, it wouldn't alleviate the immigration bottleneck. Because everyone from satellite will be using the same immigration counters. They needed a new terminal but they got a new concourse instead. Much akin to KUL T1 and T2 sharing one huge immigration hall.

1 hour ago, Pall said:

It's quite nice for a MH737 to park at an even numbered C gates in the morning lol. I thought I read somewhere that they upgraded their ATC about 2-3 years back and it's one of the better ones in the world? There are more airways available than before. It's not common to see a plane circling in the air compared to before unless there's weather.

Malaysia rain is not just a rainstorm but more often than not, it's a thunderstorm. No one is allowed outside a building during a thunderstorm (I hope this applies in Malaysia). Passengers can't disembark or board a plane parked remotely during a thunderstorm, neither can ramp agents be outside during a thunderstorm. But yet Tony wanted all remote gates for his terminal lol. 

Lack of planning or lack of funding? Maybe that's why they are selling their stake to raise funds :)

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Each satellite can accommodate 20 MPPA. But the problem doesn't just end there. The bottle neck will be outbound and inbound immigration (as if both aren't bad enough on some days). That area is permanent. They could do what BKK did and doubling the counters by making one front and one to the back. I think there were plans for this at KUL now.

However, immigration will still be a bottle neck at BKK because they just opened a new satellite concourse, the S  gates. Whilst this will alleviate gate availability and floor space, it wouldn't alleviate the immigration bottleneck. Because everyone from satellite will be using the same immigration counters. They needed a new terminal but they got a new concourse instead. Much akin to KUL T1 and T2 sharing one huge immigration hall.

It's quite nice for a MH737 to park at an even numbered C gates in the morning lol. I thought I read somewhere that they upgraded their ATC about 2-3 years back and it's one of the better ones in the world? There are more airways available than before. It's not common to see a plane circling in the air compared to before unless there's weather.

Malaysia rain is not just a rainstorm but more often than not, it's a thunderstorm. No one is allowed outside a building during a thunderstorm (I hope this applies in Malaysia). Passengers can't disembark or board a plane parked remotely during a thunderstorm, neither can ramp agents be outside during a thunderstorm. But yet Tony wanted all remote gates for his terminal lol. 

Lack of planning or lack of funding? Maybe that's why they are selling their stake to raise funds :)

Came back from Singapore a weeks ago on an evening flight and we parked at C6 which was quite unusual. When to take the BMW and MH guy in a poorly fitted uniform was terrible. Just ignored everybody and then told us to take the bus because the call would take 10 mins. I asked why wasn't it called when the lady at the entrance near the aerotrain radioed he couldn't answer. Several unhappy people on the bus were calling MH a scam and fraud company.   

Back in March I arrived from BKK with MH at about 23:40 (late as usual) and there were no parking stands available. 20 min wait and one was found at satellite terminal. Excuse was that Malindo were late leaving. 

Sign in to follow this