MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Airlines could soon shrink the size of luggage you’re allowed to carry on

It’s a happy day for luggage manufacturers. The world’s major airlines could soon be changing their requirements for carry-on luggage, potentially forcing people to buy new bags.

Working with airlines and aircraft manufacturers including Boeing and Airbus, the International Air Transport Association (IATA), a trade association, unveiled a new best-size guideline on Tuesday for carry-on bags at 21.5 inches tall by 13.5 inches wide and 7.5 inches deep. That's 21 percent smaller than the size currently permitted by American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines.

Eight major international airlines have already decided to adopt the new rules: Air China, Avianca, Azul, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Emirates, Lufthansa and Qatar. "We’ll certainly be announcing more big carriers," said Chris Goater, a spokesman for the transport association.

Expect lots of arguments at check-in counter.

Passenger: "what do you mean this cannot be carried on? its Samsonite and it says cabin luggage!!!"

Counter staff: "Yes sir but that is an old regulation that we replaced yesterday, make that 8 hours ago. so now this has to be checked in. However you can but the new smaller cabin luggage at the shop down the isle."

Passenger: "But it wont fit all my cloths"

Counter staff:"we have considered that and there is a container there for any extra clothing that you cannot fit into the new luggage. we will help to donate it to the charity"

The new proposed cabin carry on dimensions (all units in cm length*height*width thereafter): 55*34*19, compared to existing IATA recommendations of 56*45*25

This compared with local airlines' dimensions as obtained from respective sites:

MH:55*35*25

AK:56*36*23

FY:56*36*23

OD:30*40*20(!?)

That might be a tad bigger than OD's(baffling) existing dimensions, actually...

Edited by Y. J. Foo

Next thing you know the only thing you can bring aboard is what you can fit in a tesco plastic bag.

Next the airlines may limit the size of infant on lap. Giant size babies may need to purchase a seat

Perhaps, if you can fit the little one into a Tesco bag ?! :D

Oh encik. Ini tak boleh. Beg kamu beg Mydin. Non standard.

We have neither Mydin nor Tesco here in Sabah, so standard tak pakai :D

Next thing you know the only thing you can bring aboard is what you can fit in a tesco plastic bag.

Passengers traveling on Saturdays will be charged RM0.20 for each plastic bag to be carried onboard.

Business Class and Platinum/Emerald passengers are exempt from this charge for the first two bags, while Gold/Sapphire and Silver/Ruby passengers may bring one plastic bag at no charge.

Plastic bags exceeding the specified dimensions will need to be checked-in.

Giant? :p Got or not?

Got ! Sarawak too if not mistaken. Now to get CM-The Terminator to conform to Giant dimensions

(I know, it's spiralling beyond reasonable common sense .....) :)

..... while Business Class and Platinum / Emerald paxes can carry additional two apples ?

Only if both are of Golden Delicious variety

Alternatively, if one is a Fuji kind-of and the other a Granny Smith true breed

All other apple varieties (yes, even custard apples) will incur additional non-conformity charges

Edited by BC Tam

This wont matter on true FSCs. If it is too big just chuck it into the hold. The pax on LCCs meanwhile are bringing everything into the cabin but the kitchen sink to save on fees.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

I do not like where this is going. I only travel with hand luggage. They can reduce the size for Y passengers to fit all the carry on in the overhead bins but no such problem in the premium cabins. That could be a perk of buying J fares or being of elite status!

Those overhead bins on the ATR72s are tiny. If your bag is close to FY's dimension limit your bag might not even fit.

Some inconsiderate passengers would just fit the bag under the seat in front, which is shared with the passenger seated next.

Edited by Waiping

I think they will allowed to only a medium size plastic shopping bag in near future, no need to any handluggage into cabin! what is next? clothes? personal weights? shoes standarts, example "no boots allowed sorry it s too heavy!"

I am not surprised to see 3 major China airlines were listed in the list opting to limit luggage size.

Frequent traveller there would know that the Chinese always maximised their luggage privilege if not more. It seems that single hand luggage regulation does not apply to them at all.

Frequent traveller there would know that the Chinese always maximised their luggage privilege if not more. It seems that single hand luggage regulation does not apply to them at all.

Which then begs the question as to whether new carry-on hand luggage dimensions will be of any concern in reality :)

I think they will allowed to only a medium size plastic shopping bag in near future, no need to any handluggage into cabin! what is next? clothes? personal weights? shoes standarts, example "no boots allowed sorry it s too heavy!"

I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect hand luggage - and sometimes I do think plastic shopping bag is a good option. Light weight, spacious, collapsible. The only problem is not 'glam', no compartment and cannot lock. Now the hunt for a plastic bag with such features... :)

I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect hand luggage - and sometimes I do think plastic shopping bag is a good option. Light weight, spacious, collapsible. The only problem is not 'glam', no compartment and cannot lock. Now the hunt for a plastic bag with such features... :)

Can be glam. Just make sure Jaya Grocer or BIG brand la. Not tesco or giant or Mydin 😁

Ok ok will keep note and hoard those glam bags for future use. I once saw the blue Ikea bag being used as carry on. So functional and spacious. Anyway, Village & Jaya Grocer stock up your plastic bags!

Much to the disappointment by Samsonite, American Tourister etc it seems :p

i can just about imagine this memo coming up today:

Dear Production and Warehousing Team,

Kindly dispose of all 35cm size cabin bags produced.

Dear Marketing team,

Kindly dispose of all marketing materials related to the 35cm cabin bags.

Dear Corporate Affairs team,

You let this slip without pressuring them? You're all fired. Kindly pack your bags and go.

Signed,

The boss.

Sign in to follow this