MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Ground Staff in Customer Service Disaster

Indian and Chinese customers could be rude but is still not a reason. Believe this is not the first or the last time MH handle Indian or any angry customers on mis-connection. This flight mis-connection was known over one hour ahead, wonder why MH didn't prepare transit desk e.g. extra staffs for this sudden influx.

If transit desk have queuing system and comfortable waiting area with chairs, pax won't have crowded at the desk and worsen the already anxiety and bad mood of mis-connection.

Actually they was some preparation done but right from the get go the passengers had been demanding way beyond what MH can adequately provide, based on their statement

The airline had in advance, prepared hotel accommodation as well as transportation required, for the affected passengers and rebooked them on the next available flights. However, the passengers demanded to be transferred onto their scheduled connecting flight to Hyderabad and Bangalore, all of which by then had already departed KLIA. These passengers also demanded to be rebooked on another carrier based in KLIA2.

Due to immigration requirements, some of the passengers were denied entry into Malaysia without prior Visa application, hence this has limited Malaysia Airlines ability to facilitate the second demand. This resulted in the ensuing strong verbal exchanges.

As for additional staff, I think all staff had been accounted for because by the time the passengers arrived it was 10.15 pm & there is a bank of flights that's in the process of boarding.

This case is easy, kacang putih.

Things like this happened when both parties think that they are superior than the other. The I AM BETTER THAN YOU attitude.

From the Indian customers' point of view:

- We paid a ticket to Hyderabad/Bangalore, we just wanted to get there.

- There are 30 of us (not 3). We are 20% of the load factor on the MH flight that departed without us.

- Considering the big numbers, MH should have been expecting us and our reaction in KUL because MH is the first to know that our flights have departed without us.

- We are the customers, we are always right, customer is king.

- We yell like this all the time in India. This is not rude, this is just a daily thing, and this is how we treat a bully company like this (MH).

- In India, we are king, because we have money, and we travel abroad. We expect some respect.

From MH Ground Staff's point of view:

- What's the fuss with the yelling?

- I am Malay. This is Malaysia my country. You don't treat me like this in my own country.

A point to note:

- It seems like a straight forward missed connection incident.

- The 2 Ground Agents are trained to handle issues like this but they failed and needed to refer to their Duty Manager.

- The Duty Manager don't have any problem to sort it out, which concluded that it was a simple, straight forward missed connection incident.

One of my first few jobs in London was a Customer Service Rep for a bank. I was on that position for 1 year. What I've learnt:

- Customer is king. An employee can get sacked by just 1 customer's complaint.

- Always sedar diri that you are a doing a clerical level job. You are not a Duty Manager or MH's CEO. Christoph Mueller can yell at customers like this if he wants. But you are an anchovies in the company. So don't act like a big boss, raising voice and pointing hands onto the customers' face.

- You don't put down fire with fire. Aggressive customers need to be handled delicately. We need to show that they are important and their problem is super serious and they have our full attention. Ask them to sit down and talk to them nicely, offer a water at least. If you don't know what to say or being provoked in this manner, just smile. From the video, what I can see is 2 disinterested staff who could not be bothered to help the customers and just passing the burden to their Duty Manager.

- You might be a lovely and humble colleague at work, a caring father and husband at home (so as everyone else) BUT you are acting on behalf of the company. Be PROFESSIONAL. If the matter is wrong to the eyes of the company, it is wrong no matter how right it is to your eyes and how much you disagree with it. Play by the rules.

- Apologise. MH is clearly at fault here. Ground agents should just apologise to these customers. But knowing the ketuanan Melayu ego (I am Melayu myself), sorry seems to be the hardest word.

- Training is essential. MAS Ground staff is known to be bad in Customer Service in the past when compared to their peers in the air. This case is not an isolated case that a simulation of such incident during training could be missed out. I am sure it is written in their SOP/Manual but the agents did not read it.

- Put yourself in their shoes. Are you not mad if after missing your flight which is not your fault all you hear is a yell from the person who suppose to handle the mess they created themselves and they want to pass you to their manager?

- Respect cultural difference. What's ok in India can be considered rude in Malaysia. What's ok in Malaysia can be considered rude in India. In the end, who is the customer? You or them?

- You need the job more than the company needs you. So suck it up.

- Treat people the way you wanted to be treated.

- You are a Muslim. Show a good attitude in line with the teachings of Islam.

Things in Malaysia has gotten a lot blurry these days that a matter with a clear cut of right or wrong such as this one are all in grey. Embezzlement of public funds by 1MDB is ok, no one is acquitted. PM's splurge on new private jet is ok, no one is acquitted. Hajj fund is used to help 1MDB is ok, no one is acquitted. But individual/whistleblowers who revealed all these wrongdoings are acquitted under the Official Secret Act. Like WTF Malaysia?

I don't see any single valid reason for MH to maintain these 2 on their payroll. 1,000 migrant workers would kill to have this job with so much less cost for MH.

A big like for you bro. Damn true. As frontline of the company they Ground Service Agent should have acted professionally.

I feel sorry for the MAS staff to be honest. The Indian customer is very rude too which triggers it..

You feel sorry for the staff, You guys should go on youtube and watch how Lion Air Passengers go after the ground stuff and see if the ground staff gets angry or reacts like this wanker in MAS. If you cant handle the heat, you shouldn't be there. At the end of the day, you are representing MAS and the "MH Hospitality", I think people would have seen otherwise. But this is a clear example of malaysian's these days, no patience.

Actually they was some preparation done but right from the get go the passengers had been demanding way beyond what MH can adequately provide, based on their statement

Can you name the preparations?

Edited by Raj

Grou

Human superiority complex played its part here..

Ground staff MH failed misrebaly there. Bad planning on MH part for off loaded pax resulted in that fiasco.They always teach us Self restrain. I now understand why.If he felt he could not deal with that situation he should have walked away and let another collegue deal with it.

One thing for sure on my last 6 flights on MH,is that its the Indian pax keeping their planes still filled and to and from Australasia.

This segment of the bussiness if ignored will cost MH in the long run.

As a matter of fact,they should capatilise on it. The thais are really good in treating this indian pax and hence why they love to travel via BKK.

Also customer service standards are very high in the indian sub continent. Just go to a 5 star hotel or fly on Jet Airways and you will know why. They value their jobs.

On a recent trip there I was surprised I could just add a few dollars more to change the date on my flight ticket on Indigo.

Also the mobile check in agent for just walks around and assist pax,whilre carrying a small printer on his belt to print my boarding pass.No need to Q!Just bag drop.Or use kiosk like Air asia.

Edited by jadivindra

To be fair I've seen other MH ground staff deal with difficult pax pretty well.

An Australian guy was denied entry into the Golden Lounge for being a Qantas Club member traveling on 3K. He was creating a scene at the entrance, slamming his fists on the desk while hurling expletives at the lounge staff who managed to hold on to their composure. They stood firm and dealt with the situation professionally, still breaking a smile at the end :)

An Australian guy was denied entry into the Golden Lounge for being a Qantas Club member traveling on 3K. He was creating a scene at the entrance, slamming his fists on the desk while hurling expletives at the lounge staff who managed to hold on to their composure. They stood firm and dealt with the situation professionally, still breaking a smile at the end :)

That's a lounge and meant for VVIP customers who travelling on First & Business classes and frequent fliers... If MH failed on those customers, might as well fail on every aspect of customer service..

That's a lounge and meant for VVIP customers who travelling on First & Business classes and frequent fliers... If MH failed on those customers, might as well fail on every aspect of customer service..

But come to think of it, if MAS' staffs treat their passengers rudely is a common scene, then the video wouldnt went viral.

Qantas Club is a paid membership and is outside the scope of Oneworld - it allows guests travelling on QF/JQ to access QC's and several other lounges on QF's own network. That's all.

MH's Golden lounge is not part of the agreement, and they did the correct thing by denying entry.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/qantas-club-lounge-access/global/en#jump1

That will all change July 8 - 3K is moving to KLIA 2, and there will be no more oneworld lounges for aggressive bogans to go banging their fists at.

So did the guy at the center of attention get the chop or the job?

So did the guy at the center of attention get the chop or the job?

most probably he will still be there!!!!!

An Australian guy was denied entry into the Golden Lounge for being a Qantas Club member traveling on 3K.

I can't access QF lounges if I am flying 3K or JQ either. Or if I am flying MI as a non-SQ *G. It seems like he didn't know the rules (or was aware of it but pushing his luck anyway).

Edited by Craig

I trust there ain't much troubles found on the air with the crews? Given the situation on the D-Day by 1st June where many crews were worried with their unknown faith and may have lost their mood to serve in the air before.

I can't access QF lounges if I am flying 3K or JQ either. Or if I am flying MI as a non-SQ *G. It seems like he didn't know the rules (or was aware of it but pushing his luck anyway).

By far (in my experience) the biggest monster maker when it comes to lounge access is loss of face:

Scenario:

Man in office to his colleague: eh, when we fly, don't worry man, I'll take you to the super VIP ultra luxe lounge. My shiny super ultra platinum deluxe card sure can go no problem.

Colleague: wah superb, i can't wait! (excitement and anticipation builds)

fast forward to day of travel:

Lounge attendant: I'm sorry sir, this card does not give you access here because (insert valid reason here)

Man who has just lost face in front of colleague with a selection of words chosen that usually come out:

a) I flew with you x times last year, I'm a frequent flyer. You don't respect my loyalty?

b ) Do you know who I am? I know your Director of so and so and the VP of this and that. I can have you fired you know?

c) I'm a super platinum deluxe ultra VIP (but flying on Air Asia) what do you mean i can't come in here?

c2) Variation: I'm a super platinum deluxe ultra VIP. What do you mean I can't bring my dog, wife, uncle, auntie, 17 cousins, 12 cows, 200 goats into the lounge?

c3) Variation: What do you mean my card expired in 2007. Check your system now!

d) I swear I will never fly you again !

After fist thumping, table banging - he'll walk away... and leave a final parting shot for the hapless lounge attendant to hear:

e)So what? inside only some coca cola and curry puff. Who cares lah? No big deal anyway. Come ! (to colleague) we go McD's... better there anyway.

If only I had a video camera every single time i've seen this i would have a youtube channel with many viewers. The interesting thing is that I firmly believe that for the most part, these people are ordinary nice folk. Something triggers a huge rash of bad behaviour and it spills out. I wonder what the psychology behind it is.

Note: I won't give out specifics but all these happened at a location around 185 miles south of KUL, at the lounge of an airline that is a member of Star Alliance. It's home base is also there.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

By far (in my experience) the biggest monster maker when it comes to lounge access is loss of face:

Scenario:

Man in office to his colleague: eh, when we fly, don't worry man, I'll take you to the super VIP ultra luxe lounge. My shiny super ultra platinum deluxe card sure can go no problem.

Colleague: wah superb, i can't wait! (excitement and anticipation builds)

fast forward to day of travel:

Lounge attendant: I'm sorry sir, this card does not give you access here because (insert valid reason here)

Man who has just lost face in front of colleague with a selection of words chosen that usually come out:

a) I flew with you x times last year, I'm a frequent flyer. You don't respect my loyalty?

b ) Do you know who I am? I know your Director of so and so and the VP of this and that. I can have you fired you know?

c) I'm a super platinum deluxe ultra VIP (but flying on Air Asia) what do you mean i can't come in here?

c2) Variation: I'm a super platinum deluxe ultra VIP. What do you mean I can't bring my dog, wife, uncle, auntie, 17 cousins, 12 cows, 200 goats into the lounge?

c3) Variation: What do you mean my card expired in 2007. Check your system now!

d) I swear I will never fly you again !

After fist thumping, table banging - he'll walk away... and leave a final parting shot for the hapless lounge attendant to hear:

e)So what? inside only some coca cola and curry puff. Who cares lah? No big deal anyway. Come ! (to colleague) we go McD's... better there anyway.

If only I had a video camera every single time i've seen this i would have a youtube channel with many viewers. The interesting thing is that I firmly believe that for the most part, these people are ordinary nice folk. Something triggers a huge rash of bad behaviour and it spills out. I wonder what the psychology behind it is.

Note: I won't give out specifics but all these happened at a location around 185 miles south of KUL, at the lounge of an airline that is a member of Star Alliance. It's home base is also there.

Spot on Suzanne. I saw that a few times in KLIA. Sometimes I wondered about the eligibility of my card, afraid to be denied entry because it has expired. LOL.You are on the roll here. Word for word. You could be a great reporter.

The last statement just made my day - LOLS

As a previous ground staff for that airlines down south in KUL I have to agree and confirmed this situation and it had happen to me quite number of times.

One of my unique experience is dealing with this one exec from famous bank, claimed he is a gold member even in the system cleared stated he is just basic/blue membership even showed his 'gold' coloured (obviously!) credit card with the airlines FFP logo on it (a collaboration perhaps), make a noise for about 20 minutes about this because he doesnt want to paid excessive baggage charge. Guess which country he's from (hint: the same which this MH staff dealing with).

Anyway, some of South Asia and Middle East pax tend to become pushy and made a lots of noise at the checking counter, at the gate and while boarding especially when their demand was not fulfilled even most of it was their fault at first. With their culture to talk out loud, it does test our communications skill and push our patience to the limit.

^^Din Hilmi,

When I was on QR flight last year. I recall seeing a QR Korean stewardess being scolded by a Arab family after she requested them to place their shopping in the compartment above and not on the floor. This Korean called her Arab colleague ( assuming an Egyptian lady)- The QR Egyptian stewardess is really aggressive too until the Arab family follows their instruction :lol:

The other day, my patience was severely tested by 2 fellow passengers in emex row. Before landing, the passenger needed coaxing by FA to put backpack into overhead bin. Moments later, while the crew were already seated and preparing for landing, he got up and took backpack out, without placing it back into bin. Guess what?? He then took out a pack of crisp, opened it and started snacking with his girlfriend, who had asked him to get the crisp! Unless it is for diabetic hypoglycaemia, I can't see a reason for this. Even then, you don't eat crisp for such hypoglycaemic attack!

Just curious, has anyone here ever 'told off' fellow passengers when such things happened after FAs had conducted the final check? Never done so, though perilously close on many occasions.

Edited by V Wong

Sign in to follow this