MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sri Ramani K.

Skytrax World Airline Awards 2013.

Data is taken from their FB page.

The most prestigious accolades for the world airline industry. The World Airline Awards are a global benchmark of airline excellence.

The Customer survey covers over 200 airlines, from largest international airlines to small domestic carriers, with customers ranking quality standards across more than 40 areas of airline front-line product and service. The survey operated over a 10-month period, and more than 100 nationalities of user from over 160 countries around the world participated in the survey.

We begin with two Special 5-Star Airline Certification

1 Special 5-Star Airline Certification - Malaysia Airlines
2 Special 5-Star Airline Certification - ANA All Nippon Airways

Best Economy Class Onboard Catering - Asiana Airlines

Best Premium Economy Onboard Catering - Air New Zealand
Best Business Class Onboard Catering - Turkish Airlines
Best First Class Onboard Catering - Etihad Airways
Best Airline Signature Dish - Malaysia Airlines

Best Economy Class Airline Seat - Garuda Indonesia

Best Premium Economy Class Airline Seat - Air New Zealand
Best Low-Cost Airline Premium Class Seat - AirAsia X
Best Business Class Airline Seat - Japan Airlines
Best First Class Airline Seat - Etihad Airways

Best Regional Airline in Asia - Dragonair

Best Regional Airline in China - Shenzhen Airlines
Best Regional Airline in Europe - Aegean Airlines
Best Regional Airline in North America - jetBlue Airways
Best Regional Airline in South America - Austral

Best Airline in Northern Europe - Finnair

Best Airline in Southern Europe - Turkish Airlines
Best Airline in Eastern Europe - Aeroflot Russian Airlines
Best Airline in Western Europe - Lufthansa
Best Airline in Africa - South African Airways
Best Airline in Australia & Pacific - Qantas Airways
Best Airline in Central Asia & India - Air Astana
Best Airline in China - Hainan Airlines
Best Airline in Asia - Singapore Airlines
Best Airline in the Middle East - Emirates
Best Airline in Central America & Caribbean - Copa Airlines
Best Airline in North America - Air Canada
Best Airline in South America - LAN Airlines
Best Airline in Europe - Turkish Airlines
Best Airline Transatlantic - Lufthansa
Best Airline Transpacific - Cathay Pacific Airways

Best Low-Cost Airline in Asia - AirAsia

Best Low-Cost Airline in Australia & Pacific - Jetstar Airways
Best Low-Cost Airline in Central Asia & India - Indigo
Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe - Norwegian
Best Low-Cost Airline in the Middle East - Air Arabia
Best Low-Cost Airline in North America - Virgin America
Best Low-Cost Airline in South America - Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras

Best Airline Staff Service in Australia & Pacific - Virgin Australia

Best Airline Staff Service in Central Asia & India - Air Astana
Best Airline Staff Service in Africa - Ethiopian Airlines
Best Airline Staff Service in China - Hainan Airlines
Best Airline Staff Service in Asia - Asiana Airlines
Best Airline Staff Service in Europe - KLM
Best Airline Staff Service in Middle East - Qatar Airways
Best Airline Staff Service in Central America & Caribbean - Copa Airlines
Best Airline Staff Service in North America - Virgin America
Best Airline Staff Service in South America - Avianca

World's Best Economy Class - Garuda Indonesia

World's Best Premium Economy Class - Air New Zealand
World's Best Low-Cost Airline Premium Class - AirAsia X
World's Best Business Class - Qatar Airways
World's Best First Class - Etihad Airways
World's Best Inflight Entertainment - Emirates
World's Best Airline Alliance - Oneworld Alliance
World's Best Airport Services - ANA All Nippon Airways
World's Best Leisure Airline - Thomson Airways
World's Best Regional Airline - Dragonair
World's Most Improved Airline - Transaero Airlines
World's Best Low-Cost Airline - AirAsia
World's Best Cabin Staff - Cathay Pacific Airways

AIRLINE OF THE YEAR - the world's Best Airline - Emirates

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

MAS no more Best Cabin Staff??? Oh NO!!! Best signature dish only??? So sad!

"Journeys are made by the people you travel with." With a smiling AJ.

Now they need to find another tagline. LOL

This will spur CGK's upgrade. And with that done, more people will choose CGK together with SIN for the hop over to Europe.

The only way MH is going to make it back into the top 10 is with a better business class product! The J class on the A33Es are terrible and the J seats on the A380 are already dated.

I thought we're not supposed to take these awards seriously anymore?

We don't, but MH does. :p So hopefully with them being kicked out of top 10, they might rethink everything. Especially with regards to their hardware

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Wah; EK beats QR as Airline of the Year? What a surprise. Anyhow congratulations EK :clapping:

MH has a lot of explaining to do. For one, nothing great on service anymore. Not even on Top 10 list? Back in the very olden times, it used to win Best economy class along with Best Cabin Staff, if I am not wrong. Saving grace again for Malaysia is probably Air Asia (not that I am a big fan).

MAS no more Best Cabin Staff??? Oh NO!!! Best signature dish only??? So sad!

No purpose of having Best in the world when pay is on the par with the third world. Guess all the best crews already runaway to EK!

I hope this will be a wake up call for MH. Their hardware is substandard.

1. J class is really subpar

2. Their customer service is bad, especially the way they handle delayed flights and customer after care service (I only had one massively delayed flight, but it was well handled)

3. Inconsistent cabin crew service (Generally they're pretty good. But on my recent flight with them, the crew were not friendly, service was rushed and no smile at all)

If AJ really wants to turn around MH, he needs to start from basic.

While I don't believe Skytrax is a good indicator, I agree that MH is just 'meh'

QR is nothing fantastic either. Their service upfront must be top class. I've always been ' at the back of the bus ' in QR.

But I always stick with SQ. Website is a breeze, FFP is a breeze. It just works for me. [ Don't ask for refunds, takes forever ]

Interesting list ... flown most of them, but such list has no real bearing on my travel preference -- I just book flights based on convenience and price.

1. J class is really subpar

2. Their customer service is bad, especially the way they handle delayed flights and customer after care service (I only had one massively delayed flight, but it was well handled)

3. Inconsistent cabin crew service (Generally they're pretty good. But on my recent flight with them, the crew were not friendly, service was rushed and no smile at all)

If AJ really wants to turn around MH, he needs to start from basic.

That is the point. You cannot just rely on your cabin staff coz personnel is a factor you cannot control. If they are not at their best during a particular flight, their service level will not be at par and will leave a lasting impression on pax. While hardware is a consistent factor. Get your hardware to exceed or at least match the others at the top, and people will remember you, just like SQ. Singapore gilrs can be 'meh' too sometimes. But hardware wise (J and F) unbeatable.

Have any of you heard (or flown) on MAS domestic or ASEAN routes with Chartered Cabin crew (exMAXS cabin crew or flying mothers). I was made to understand that it had happened on a few flights

MH ranked No.14 overall. They were No.3 for Best cabin crew.

I do agree that the hard product is the most important thing because that's what people are paying for. I think MH got it right with their First class offering but the J seats are so far behind the competition that it may be worth the money to replace them even though they are considered "new".

1 Emirates 8 The World's Best Airlines BLK6_12.gif Airline Ranking 1-20 BLK6_12.gif Airline Ranking 21-40 BLK6_12.gif Airline Ranking 41-60 BLK6_12.gif Airline Ranking 61-80 BLK6_12.gif Airline Ranking 81-100

2 Qatar Airways 1 3 Singapore Airlines 3 4 ANA All Nippon Airways 5 5 Asiana Airlines 2 6 Cathay Pacific Airways 4 7 Etihad Airways 6 8 Garuda Indonesia 11 9 Turkish Airlines 7 10 Qantas Airways 15 11 Lufthansa 14 12 EVA Air 13 13 Virgin Australia 12 14 Malaysia Airlines 10 15 Thai Airways 9 16 Swiss Int'l Air Lines 15 17 Korean Air 16 18 Air New Zealand 17 19 Hainan Airlines 20 20 Air Canada 19

The numbers on the left indicate the 2013 ranking while those on the right indicate the 2012 ranking.

i.e. 4 ANA 5

Ranked 4th in 2013 & 5th in 2012

What is interesting though is to see Thai fall back as well. Apart from GA powering ahead, I think it should be rather alarming that MH now ranks behind LH, BG and Virgin Aust. Alarming not on the part of MH but on the part of Skytrax. ANZ is now quite far behind for reasons I can't comprehend.

Ultimately, there really is no correlation between Skytrax ratings and the ability for airlines to stay afloat. Skytrax, from my own impressions, tends to be a platform for the most seasoned travelers. I think most travelers pay for convenience and comfort. MH being a part of OW already gives its network some degree of connectivity and it's good to hear plans to introduce new destinations. Comfort-wise, MH can definitely improve, but it's a heck of a lot more decent than most carriers out there.

But MH must ask itself if this rating is really where it can go. In an immediate region that is becoming increasingly challenging, can it afford to brush off this piece of news? While I don't think we should be condemning MH, I think we must be worried about the future prospects of the airlines beyond 2014; I am confident they'll reach profitability by then. But can MH really continue to tail the competition? I don't think so and while the gap has been closing, that gap will become a lot wider in time to come.

MH products offering is inconsistent through out the network. Most regular and premium pax don't need skytrash to tell them which airline is better.