MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
xtemujin

12 people injured after turbulence hits SIA flight

12 people injured after turbulence hits SIA flight

Published on May 29, 2013 | 7:30 AM

Eleven passengers and one crew member suffered minor injuries after a Singapore Airlines flight was hit by turbulence on Sunday.

"Flight SQ 308 experienced moderate to severe turbulence en route from Singapore to London," a spokesman confirmed, adding that the aircraft had experienced a sudden loss of altitude. Medical staff treated the 12 injured on the plane's arrival at London's Heathrow Airport.

It is understood that the incident took place about two hours after departure. Seat-belt signs were turned on at the time.

A total of 328 passengers and 26 crew members were on board the Airbus A-380 aircraft.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/12-people-injured-after-turbulence-hits-sia-flight-20130529

Edited by xtemujin

I saw pictures on instagram. Looks quite bad. One of the comments says some people were left hungry because most of the food ended up on the floor.

I saw pictures on instagram. Looks quite bad. One of the comments says some people were left hungry because most of the food ended up on the floor.

SIA is very good at doing service recovery. Very likely these passengers were given vouchers when they all disembarked at LHR two hours later.

SIA is very good at doing service recovery. Very likely these passengers were given vouchers when they all disembarked at LHR two hours later.

That's great supersonic speed!

I'm still puzzled by the Captain's decision not to turn back.

I was actually very puzzled after reading your post about the Captain not turning back. I was under the impression that this flight was two hours away from London when a friend shared the picture taken by Alan Cross on Facebook yesterday... Oops!

I'm still puzzled by the Captain's decision not to turn back.

There wasn't any serious injury or major damage.

Based on satellite pic in the link, it happened just north of Straits of Malacca, over Bay of Bengal, which is consistent with 2-2.5 hrs flt time after departure. Whether or not to turn-back is a collective decision based on post event in-flight assessment although the final decision lies on the capt of the aircraft.

Big airlines like SQ would normally get company's Operation Center's (ground based Command & Control Center which is running 24/7) opinion before a major decision is made unless it is a time critical in-flight emergencies (such as cargo fire or uncontrollable fire on-board). Based on pilot report (post event assessment), real time aircraft health status (based on continuous downlink data from the aircraft), availability en-route suitable airport, commercial considerations and other factors (different from one company to the other), a decision whether or not to divert/turn-back will be made.

I guessed to continue the flight to destination is the best option based on information available at that time.

:hi:

I was actually very puzzled after reading your post about the Captain not turning back. I was under the impression that this flight was two hours away from London when a friend shared the picture taken by Alan Cross on Facebook yesterday... Oops!

According to AVHerald, the incident happened 90 minutes into the flight.

There wasn't any serious injury or major damage.

Granted there may be no serious injuries, but the cabin was in a total mess. The passengers breakfast were either on them or on the floor and no more food. I wouldn't think it was a pleasant experience for the remaining 12 hours.

One of the crew was injured as well. No mention the extent of injury. That puzzled me too. If one of the crew became incapacitated because of the injury, would they have enough crew if an emergency happened?

Based on satellite pic in the link, it happened just north of Straits of Malacca, over Bay of Bengal, which is consistent with 2-2.5 hrs flt time after departure. Whether or not to turn-back is a collective decision based on post event in-flight assessment although the final decision lies on the capt of the aircraft.

Big airlines like SQ would normally get company's Operation Center's (ground based Command & Control Center which is running 24/7) opinion before a major decision is made unless it is a time critical in-flight emergencies (such as cargo fire or uncontrollable fire on-board). Based on pilot report (post event assessment), real time aircraft health status (based on continuous downlink data from the aircraft), availability en-route suitable airport, commercial considerations and other factors (different from one company to the other), a decision whether or not to divert/turn-back will be made.

I guessed to continue the flight to destination is the best option based on information available at that time.

:hi:

If it's a fire, I don't think they got the time to return to SIN, probably would have to make emergency landing in KUL.

Indeed, the flight just departed for 2 hours and it stated that there were few suffering some minor injuries, that's like crap. It would be handy for the First Aid kit came in place.

The worst turbulence I ever had was on the flight BKI - KCH, the hardest shake I ever had where none could stand still and for stewardess who were in the middle of the aisle were forced to sit on passengers' laps until the captain has flown past the turbulence.

To have splashes on the roof that means that there was a period of weightlessness! So the dive was pretty sharp and food flying in the air. Cannot imagine the scene in first class

To have splashes on the roof that means that there was a period of weightlessness! So the dive was pretty sharp and food flying in the air. Cannot imagine the scene in first class

Can you imagine the scene in the toilet if someone was doing the big business...

Can you imagine the scene in the toilet if someone was doing the big business...

I was having my lunch when I read your comments! lol.

Almost every flight I've been on got a bit bumpy when flying over the Bay of Bengal... very strange! And that is always the time the crew serve the meal and hot drinks to the passengers.

Keep calm and carry on ...... :lol:

I wonder what would've happened if an A320 had hit this CAT ... :)

I wonder what would've happened if an A320 had hit this CAT ... :)

Under normal circumstances, cat would probably be squashed dead

But then we humans are not created for flight to start with, so circumstances cannot be normal :lol:

Sign in to follow this