MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
abikurami

Air France Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 22 April 2013 until 25 October 2015

I dont think its official yet..., hence no news on our local newspaper. besides it is still not available in their reservation system. Even though i would love to see AF fly to KUL i belive in the end it will just be a codeshare with MH especially with MH plan to send A380 for CDG-KUL route.

I was reading through this topic on Airliners - some of AF's staff have said that the news is already up on their intranet. In fact, they've even shared the frequency & equipment: 3x weekly using the 77E

It is kind of a surprise that they are launching KUL, considering they just downsized BKK and changed from a premium heavy aircraft that they operated into BKK for many decades to a high density, leisure 77W offering only 56 J seats every week.

Anyway, It this rumor is indeed true, I suppose they will utilize a 3-class 772 to KUL... or 3-class 77W...

It is kind of a surprise that they are launching KUL, considering they just downsized BKK and changed from a premium heavy aircraft that they operated into BKK for many decades to a high density, leisure 77W offering only 56 J seats every week.

Anyway, It this rumor is indeed true, I suppose they will utilize a 3-class 772 to KUL... or 3-class 77W...

perhaps BKK mainly a leisure destination and AF focus on more business route

I was reading through this topic on Airliners - some of AF's staff have said that the news is already up on their intranet. In fact, they've even shared the frequency & equipment: 3x weekly using the 77E

3x weekly... good start :aa.php:

perhaps BKK mainly a leisure destination and AF focus on more business route

KUL doesn't strike as a business route to many though. Precisely why there are many more European carriers operating into BKK compared to KUL.

Edited by Isaac

AF & LH both serving SIN with A380, probably KUL won't get that big bird but well, who knows? If they have chosen KUL as the hub. =)

LX & AY have both returned to SIN nonstop, not expecting LX, but is hoping AY & OS could return to KUL.

From my crystal ball... I do foresee AY, AB and maybe even IB coming to KUL as well :D

Edited by nrazmoor

BKK is not a high yielding business destination --> it attracts a lot of european leisure pax. That is why SK is now pulling out and AF an LH are struggling with their services.

SIN on the other hand have always been a premium destination - very big financial centre like HKG and ZRH.

KUL I think is somewhere in between - mostly leisure but increasing becoming an important business hub, although not on par with SIN or HKG.

People keep saying KUL is low yielding but look at EK and QR - they have no problems filling up the front end of the plane.

MAS seems to be doing ok with their LHR service and it seems their CDG service as well. I don't think many of us here expected CDG to be the recipient of daily A380 flights ... and it has.

Maybe AF has realised they can't keep on ignoring KUL forever. From nowhere, we are now one of the top 30 busiest airports in the world. Yes, a lot of it is driven by low cost growth but other full service carriers are growing too. We do know that passenger numbers in KLIA are increasing year on year despite MH's big cut in passenger capacity.

I agree with nrazmoor - I can see AY starting flights once their 787s come online!

Edited by Izanee

AF is at best a second tier carrier IMO.

Service wise probably, but other parameters AF is definitely a big catch for KLIA. It's one of the world's largest and oldest, head of Skyteam, its hub CDG is one of the world's busiest (ranked 7th in 2011 with 61 million pax), they carried 60 million pax in 2011 network wide.

KUL doesn't strike as a business route to many though. Precisely why there are many more European carriers operating into BKK compared to KUL.

I think although largely a leisure destination, BKK is chosen by many more carriers as compared to KUL because:

- Connection. BKK is being served by more airlines than KUL. 87 vs 54.

- Geographical location. BKK is more northerly compared to KUL, hence a lot of smaller airlines with medium range aircraft can fly into BKK but not KUL.

- Thailand being a liberal tourist destination when compared to the more 'Islamic' Malaysia, hence becoming the choice of many European carriers.

... and I think the problem with KUL before was government trying to protect MH, until AK, EK etc came along, they realised it's better to allow more airlines to fly to KUL than protecting MH routes.

... and I think the problem with KUL before was government trying to protect MH, until AK, EK etc came along, they realised it's better to allow more airlines to fly to KUL than protecting MH routes.

If the government wanted to protect MH, EK would have at most two daily flights, not the onslaught of flights they have now so I don't think this argument is valid.

If the government wanted to protect MH, EK would have at most two daily flights, not the onslaught of flights they have now so I don't think this argument is valid.

....the key operative word was "before"....

That's when they realised no one will come to our airport if they stopped middle east airlines to operate at higher frequency than MH.

That's when they realised no one will come to our airport if they stopped middle east airlines to operate at higher frequency than MH.

Canada & Germany are doing it though. No harm done to their market.

Sometimes I wonder if the Middle East onslaught is to meet real demand or is a dumping exercise, a la the Japanese when they were attempting to conquer the American electronics market.

Canada & Germany are doing it though. No harm done to their market.

You dont know the difficulties these guys are facing in getting visas etc...tit-for-tat

AIR BERLIN Is an excellent airline notwithstanding its low cost model.

It can teach AK a thing or three about running a clean , efficient and no bull airline.

Hope they can do a KUL stop.

Edited by amanairways

I think Dubai is much more "islamic" than Malaysia but a lot of tourists loves to go there... i said in terms of tourism not about the flights,airports,etc....

You will be surprised how liberal and open is Dubai, there is no issue to serve bacon, ham in hotels, and seafood, mineral water, etc need not be halal certified.

It can teach AK a thing or three about running a clean , efficient and no bull airline.

Air Berlin is bleeding now though...

AK is the world best LCC. Having flown with them almost a decade with only slight bad experience. I think AK is a role model for LCC.

You will be surprised how liberal and open is Dubai, there is no issue to serve bacon, ham in hotels, and seafood, mineral water, etc need not be halal certified.

but kissing in public area is forbidden there

AF to KUL,just a rumour at best for the moment. Jakarta post the only one media to report it have pulled out the article from the net.

AF to KUL,just a rumour at best for the moment. Jakarta post the only one media to report it have pulled out the article from the net.

http://www.traveldailynews.asia/news/article/50677/air-france-possibly-to-kuala

There is some truth to the rumour. AF and possibly TK to launch flights to KUL in 2013. Fingers crossed :acute:

http://www.traveldai...ssibly-to-kuala

There is some truth to the rumour. AF and possibly TK to launch flights to KUL in 2013. Fingers crossed :acute:

With EY and AF/KL codeshare, MH and KUL won't be a priority for AF/KL.

I think although largely a leisure destination, BKK is chosen by many more carriers as compared to KUL because:

- Connection. BKK is being served by more airlines than KUL. 87 vs 54.

- Geographical location. BKK is more northerly compared to KUL, hence a lot of smaller airlines with medium range aircraft can fly into BKK but not KUL.

- Thailand being a liberal tourist destination when compared to the more 'Islamic' Malaysia, hence becoming the choice of many European carriers.

And there are a lot more FDI and factories in Thailand. Businesses and factories demand lot of travelling;

19.09.2012 - 17:20

Air France launches route from Lyon to Gothenburg

Air France now flies from Lyon to Gothenburg Landvetter Airport in Sweden, reinstating the business link for Volvo and Renault Trucks. Air France, through its subsidiary Régional, launched operations between Lyon (LYS) in east-central France and Sweden’s second city, Gothenburg (GOT), on 17 September. The route, which is largely driven by the business links between Gothenburg-based Volvo and its Lyon-based subsidiary Renault Trucks, had been operated by City Airline/Skyways since 2004 until the airline’s demise in May when anna.aero indeed speculated that Régional would take over the route. The French airline now operates six times weekly with 50-seat ERJ145 aircraft. [...]

http://www.aviationpower.de/en/news-events/luftfahrt-news.html?rec=8914

Edited by KK Lee

Sign in to follow this