MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Manchester United and Malaysia Airlines have announced a multi-year partnership which will see the award-winning airline become the club’s official commercial airline.

As an established and respected name in global aviation, Malaysia Airlines prides itself on representing Malaysia and providing best-in-class customised experiences for its passengers, reflecting the Malaysian culture of a welcoming and hospitable service.

The partnership was announced by Malaysia Airlines’ Group Managing Director of Malaysia Aviation Group, Izham Ismail, at a major industry trade fair in Kuala Lumpur. To celebrate the announcement, former Manchester United defenders Patrice Evra and Wes Brown flew to Kuala Lumpur to attend the event, to share their experiences of travelling the world as both players and ambassadors for the club.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-announce-partnership-with-malaysia-airlines

Guess a number of mas top management and bod are man u ardent fans.

TRV, AMD and ATQ are slightly unique. Loads are extremely good despite having a short launch period. 

I guess MH bet to reduce nite stop at local stations outside KUL & instead deploy those 73 to do nite filghts to new & various Indian sectors really pays off. 

Asean-wise, i saw quite many times that MH850/851 has been swapped to 332. Maybe many people of Indian subcontinent from these newly launched destinations are heading to DPS?

8 minutes ago, Riza said:

I guess MH bet to reduce nite stop at local stations outside KUL & instead deploy those 73 to do nite filghts to new & various Indian sectors really pays off. 

Asean-wise, i saw quite many times that MH850/851 has been swapped to 332. Maybe many people of Indian subcontinent from these newly launched destinations are heading to DPS?

I believe MH will be allocating few A330-300 to permanently upgrade DPS, SIN, BKK and MNL once the A330-900neo delivery starts. A330-900neo will do Indian sub-continent, Australia/NZ, China and Japan routes.

Malaysia Airlines reveals new Airbus A330-900 business and economy seats

The Business class seats are the Collins Aerospace Elevation seats, the same seats used in British Airway’s Clubworld and Etihad Airways A350 Business Studio long-haul products. It features individual doors, which gives passengers a better sense of privacy when the doors are closed. The seats will be arranged in a 1-2-1 layout, with each seat having aisle access – an upgrade to the current layout in the MAS A330 family. Each seat will have a large entertainment screen and wireless charging stations – a first for Malaysia Airlines.

For economy, Malaysia Airlines has chosen the award-winning Recaro CL3810 Economy Class seat. While still unspecified, the in-flight entertainment (IFE) system for Economy Class will see an upgrade, especially for the IFE screens. The display looks to be bigger than what MAS has for economy passengers in the current A330-300. The seat covers throughout the cabin will feature the airline’s signature songket motif, paying homage to Malaysia’s cultural heritage by seamlessly blending tradition with contemporary style, similar to the design concept of the seats in the Boeing 737-8.

IMG-20240322-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20240322-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20240322-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20240322-WA0014.jpg

Seems demo seats of both economy and business class will be available on the upcoming matta fair with fully working IFE. 

17.0 inch for business class

13.3 inch screen for economy 

Ife vendor rumored to be Safran Rave with resolution bump to 4k and wireless headphone capability. 

2 hours ago, Pall said:

TRV, AMD and ATQ are slightly unique. Loads are extremely good despite having a short launch period. 

I don't know about other cities, but ex-KUL, MH's fares are very competitive to these 3 cities. 

2 hours ago, Riza said:

Bali is basically a mass tourism island now. If MH 851 is slightly late or EK 368 / QR 962 is slightly early, good luck with immigration 😅 But MH served up to 4x daily DPS before with 2 of that on the 777 (I remember flying on MH 852 and that was a A333/332 as well).

There aren't really that many nigh stops domestically/regionally now. Most of the night stops are to cities where there is a demand for the 9AM KUL departure connection bank or the 5-8PM KUL arrival bank and most cities make sense. HKG has one of the most expensive parking rates in the world but MH still overnight their 737s there.

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't know about other cities, but ex-KUL, MH's fares are very competitive to these 3 cities. 

Bali is basically a mass tourism island now. If MH 851 is slightly late or EK 368 / QR 962 is slightly early, good luck with immigration 😅 But MH served up to 4x daily DPS before with 2 of that on the 777 (I remember flying on MH 852 and that was a A333/332 as well).

There aren't really that many nigh stops domestically/regionally now. Most of the night stops are to cities where there is a demand for the 9AM KUL departure connection bank or the 5-8PM KUL arrival bank and most cities make sense. HKG has one of the most expensive parking rates in the world but MH still overnight their 737s there.

I guess parking their smallest fleet B737 should be cheaper than a A330 at HKG. DPS will possibly see permanent A330-300 once the A330-900neo delivery start. Maybe even A330-900neo itself.

On that note, I am avoiding Bali like a plague now. OMG, the amount of crowd is crazy!

1 minute ago, JuliusWong said:

On that note, I am avoiding Bali like a plague now. OMG, the amount of crowd is crazy!

Many years ago, I went to Lombok when AK launched that route. It is a far more relaxed island there but I gather that these days, it is also quite popular. If I go to DPS these days, it is for plane spotting only.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

17.0 inch for business class

13.3 inch screen for economy 

Ife vendor rumored to be Safran Rave with resolution bump to 4k and wireless headphone capability. 

Nowadays, big screens are the norm - somehow, I think that 13.3 inch for economy is a bit small.

I think it is good that the A339 and A359 share the same theme for product consistency.

29 minutes ago, flee said:

Nowadays, big screens are the norm - somehow, I think that 13.3 inch for economy is a bit small.

I think the largest it can go for economy is 15.0 and that depends on which sort of economy class seat is installed  as well. Most ife makers are now sitting at 11.0 to 13.3inch as standard offering for economy. Meanwhile the previous generation ifes are within 8 to 10inches.

Meanwhile smartphones are ballooning the screen sizes. I mean it is difficult to find a flagship phone with 6.0 screen. At samsung even the budget to mid range models are going fod 6.6 now. Meanwhile even the ipad pros are getting larger which actually makes it not portable friendly.

1 hour ago, flee said:

13" quite big for econ,on the opposite 17" too small in biz.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Product video shown on Airbus's Linkedin video

Kabin pesawat A330neo Malaysia Airlines

Noticed Songket motif wau is no longer used unlike the announcement order video a while back.

I think the MH A330neo in the video was the earlier rendering when the order was first announced some time ago. Since then they have updated the wau with songket motif. However, quite a slopy finishing work the video is.

MH's 339 schedule has been loaded. Inaugural flight is going to be 25th November 2024 on MH 149 to MEL. If they are receiving them beginning Q3 2024, I think we'd see them in some domestic/regional routes before the official launch (like MH A359).

1 hour ago, Craig said:

MH's 339 schedule has been loaded. Inaugural flight is going to be 25th November 2024 on MH 149 to MEL. If they are receiving them beginning Q3 2024, I think we'd see them in some domestic/regional routes before the official launch (like MH A359).

Expect Domestic and some Asean flights around Oct. to mid nov. Though am not sure if they will be loaded into the ticketing system like the trials A350 last time.

53 minutes ago, jahur said:

Expect Domestic and some Asean flights around Oct. to mid nov. Though am not sure if they will be loaded into the ticketing system like the trials A350 last time.

was thinking similar because airlines usually start with e few short sectors for training and testing etc 

Last time when 359 arrived, if im not mistaken it was deployed to both BKI & KCH for a couple of weeks for crew familiarization

19 minutes ago, Riza said:

Last time when 359 arrived, if im not mistaken it was deployed to both BKI & KCH for a couple of weeks for crew familiarization

PEN too. I flew MAB or MAC to PEN :) And then they flew it to SIN and IIRC, maybe BKK as well.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

was thinking similar because airlines usually start with e few short sectors for training and testing etc 

It is confirmed that they'll be flown on domestics though not sure for how long. Anyone out here ought to monitor the ticketing website and snoop around for the month of october.

Commercial sectors likely to be flown for domestic will be KCH, PEN, BKI. On another note i am not sure if there is need to do the restricted and unpredictable CAM proving flight. Back then 9M-MAB was flown on KUL-BKI-KCH-KUL with CAM folks onboard to certify the a350.

BTW based on the expertflyer GDS data the 339 starts flying to MEL on 24 Nov and not 25 Nov. At this stage I would things are quite fluid.

9 hours ago, Craig said:

PEN too. I flew MAB or MAC to PEN :) And then they flew it to SIN and IIRC, maybe BKK as well.

Better get the lawyers ready in case of any seat swaps 😉 :p

Compared to 333, what kind of arrangement / improvement done that results in those extra 1J + 6Y seats in 339?