MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

5 hours ago, Craig said:

ID closed the old BDO airport and this new airport is located a good 100km from the city of Bandung. Makes KUL seems like Haneda now. MH even provides complimentary shuttle from KJT to the city (takes 1.5 hours according to their website but who knows).

And I am curious why most of these secondary/tertiary ID (other than KNO/DPS) cities get these departure from KUL? YIA, KJT, PKU all departs around 1700-1900 and arrives back to KUL close to midnight. Even SUB's daily flight whilst not the most ideal, departs around 07:00.

Are they tight on frames earlier in the day? I can't imagine slots being that big an issue here.

The flights don't connect well to most places (apart from DOH), but I suppose they don't see much connecting potential for these routes.

Malaysia Airlines Removes Planned Tashkent Schedule in NW23

Malaysia Airlines in recent schedule update removed schedule listing for Kuala Lumpur – Tashkent route. The oneWorld member previously filed 1 weekly Airbus A330-200 aircraft service from 07NOV23, on scheduled charter basis.

Previously planned schedule as follows.

MH8450 KUL0010 – 0430TAS 332 2
MH8451 TAS2130 – 0800+1KUL 332 2

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230929-mhnw23tas

2 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Mas is hopeful to restore hot meals service to all routes by November.

It seems the board is interfering in operation.

There some food sample pics on a FB group a few weeks ago. The food didn't look great but at least its hot.

What is the board allegedly doing?

On 9/29/2023 at 10:58 PM, Robert said:

There some food sample pics on a FB group a few weeks ago. The food didn't look great but at least its hot.

What is the board allegedly doing?

According to rumour mill; the board appointed third party to investigate the management, reached out to lower management level, etc.

22 hours ago, KK Lee said:

According to rumour mill; the board appointed third party to investigate the management, reached out to lower management level, etc.

Let's hope someone gets the boot for the damage caused. Some culprits deserved to lose their job due to this is catering fiasco. Especially the middle management side.

5 hours ago, Pall said:

Let's hope someone gets the boot for the damage caused. Some culprits deserved to lose their job due to this is catering fiasco. Especially the middle management side.

Board appointed consultant is awared of the management incompetency; whether action will be taken against these few or the top management will rectify e.g transfer is different matter.

2 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Visited mh lounge at kul recently, foods offering is significantly better than before.

Have not tried the Satellite ones for about a month but the regional one is better most of the time but it has its moments.

For 2 plus weeks there were no 'diet/light' soda drinks eg Coke Zero. Most staff were clueless when asked why. The duty manager asked me to fill out a form and received sone strong feedback from me that the form isn't user friendly as the manager he should deal with it and not burden customers for their own stock control incompetence. He suggested I try soda water and was confused when I said it tastes awful and is also full of sugar. No wonder there is such a dimities issues in Malaysia when people are so ignorant which items have sugar. To his credit he appeared 15 mins later with a few cans of drinks. 

Stopped by yesterday lunchtime and wanted a sandwich. The menu was missing and upon asking was told that they had bread but no filling.  Oh one more thing, they have some Coke Zero but stock was low. 

Popped by the satellite lounge last week. Plenty of food but food didn’t taste the best. The potatoes paneer and rice pilaf was probably the best amongst all. Food choices seems to be more but can they get rid of those warung-style “fan” that act as a fly deterrent. Or even better yet, don’t have any flies over the food. It’s kinda gross. 

And replace some of those cheap plastic food cover. 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

For 2 plus weeks there were no 'diet/light' soda drinks eg Coke Zero. Most staff were clueless when asked why. The duty manager asked me to fill out a form and received sone strong feedback from me that the form isn't user friendly as the manager he should deal with it and not burden customers for their own stock control incompetence. He suggested I try soda water and was confused when I said it tastes awful and is also full of sugar. No wonder there is such a dimities issues in Malaysia when people are so ignorant which items have sugar. 

It was a fridge of nothing but Coke Zero last week 😂. But there were no soda water other than at the bar. I always thought soda water is just carbonated water with maybe some tiny bit of salt/minerals thrown in. Not sugar. 

14 hours ago, Craig said:

Popped by the satellite lounge last week. Plenty of food but food didn’t taste the best. The potatoes paneer and rice pilaf was probably the best amongst all. Food choices seems to be more but can they get rid of those warung-style “fan” that act as a fly deterrent. Or even better yet, don’t have any flies over the food. It’s kinda gross. 

And replace some of those cheap plastic food cover. 

It was a fridge of nothing but Coke Zero last week 😂. But there were no soda water other than at the bar. I always thought soda water is just carbonated water with maybe some tiny bit of salt/minerals thrown in. Not sugar. 

re Soda water, I didn't have my reading glasses on so perhaps I got it wrong. Will look again when I travel in a week or two. Personally I hate plain carbonated water so sugar or not I won't drink it. 

India has emerged as our top international market: Malaysia Airlines' commercial chief

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/business/india-has-emerged-as-our-top-international-market-malaysia-airlines-commercial-chief-2717837

Kuala Lumpur-based Malaysia Airlines, is set to increase its India network from six to nine cities, adding Thiruvananthapuram, Amritsar and Ahmedabad during the winter season. The airline has reached over 90 per cent of pre-pandemic capacity in India...

Very interesting read into Malaysia Airlines's expansion plan. Mostly regional at the moment.

29 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Very interesting read into Malaysia Airlines's expansion plan. Mostly regional at the moment.

They don’t really have the equipment for long haul growth anyway.

30 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

India has emerged as our top international market: Malaysia Airlines' commercial chief

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/business/india-has-emerged-as-our-top-international-market-malaysia-airlines-commercial-chief-2717837

Kuala Lumpur-based Malaysia Airlines, is set to increase its India network from six to nine cities, adding Thiruvananthapuram, Amritsar and Ahmedabad during the winter season. The airline has reached over 90 per cent of pre-pandemic capacity in India...

I think most of Malaysia's traffic is within Asia with UK and Australia the only significant medium and long haul markets. It makes sense to mount more services to markets that have greater demand. MH should not return to the old "prestige" route mentality!

I’d have taken advantage of MH’s fare sale to the 3 newly launched Indian cities (looking at Amritsar specifically). I’d have booked one (it’s really cheap for business class, RM2,000 round trip) if it weren’t for the 738 planned for this trip (or god forbid, swapped to 73H). 

At 2,653 miles each way, that’s just a hairline shorter than KUL-PKX.

I’ll go to Kochi instead. Slightly more expensive but a city that is also on my list. MH really need to consider installing better seats on these 5+ hours “regional” flights and a red eye on the way back. 

Despite all that, we still only have one flight from India to KUL by an Indian carrier - Indigo who operates a daily flight to KUL from MAA (Chennai) at an ungodly hour. MH really should improve on the seats as mentioned by Craig. 

1 hour ago, kandiah k said:

Despite all that, we still only have one flight from India to KUL by an Indian carrier - Indigo who operates a daily flight to KUL from MAA (Chennai) at an ungodly hour. MH really should improve on the seats as mentioned by Craig. 

That will really depends on India Government if they allow more airlines to fly into Malaysia. I would think Malaysia government has no issue if Air India wants to fly into KUL, they will be more than happy to have a premium airline flying into KUL. Malaysia has not been in major Indian airlines' radar, be it past and present. Apart from IndiGo's red eye flight, the only service to Malaysia by an Indian carrier previously was also from Chennai – a four times per week service from Air India Express. Jet Airways served the Chennai-Kuala Lumpur route for several years until 2012, when it pulled out citing low yields. Air India cancelled their and relegated it to Air India Express.

Since MH is the only premium airline on Malaysia-India routes, they can get away using any cabin seats, at least for now. Outside Delhi and Mumbai, yields are generally low especially for secondary cities, primarily a leisure or visiting friends and relatives (VFR) market. Hopefully with more investment pouring into India now, since MNCs are moving away from mainland China, it can generate more business traffic and additional VRF traffic. Unlike Singapore where there are a lot of Indian economic migrants working at science, technology and banking industry thus more airlines plying India-Singapore vv., Malaysia currently does not enjoy such luxury.

That being said, Malaysia and India government did not always eye to eye during the previous government, now with the new administration, hopefully things can be better.

Edited by JuliusWong

August and September is long gone and we are halfway through October. Aeroroutes is indicating further delays to the 7M8 with first commercial flight scheduled for 01NOV23. Will MH receive its first 7M8 within the next week or so?

On 10/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, JuliusWong said:

Since MH is the only premium airline on Malaysia-India routes, they can get away using any cabin seats, at least for now. Outside Delhi and Mumbai, yields are generally low especially for secondary cities, primarily a leisure or visiting friends and relatives (VFR) market.

Thankfully MH management is not relying solely on VFR and MY-IN traffic. Those secondary cities are marketed for beyond KUL connections too. Not many people wants to fly say PER-KUL-ATQ on a 737 all the way, a journey that's >10h and >5,000 miles. That's equivalent to a KUL-IST as the crow flies. As cheap as OD can get, I'd not fly them on KUL-PER-AKL in Y or in J. But if they can get people to fly this all the way, good for them.

Is one of MH's 330 out or are they over optimistic with their 330 schedule? It seems like 1-2 330 flights are severely delayed for the past few weeks (not by 1-2 hours but sometimes up to 6-9 hours). e.g. today's MH 366 to TPE is delayed by 6.5 hours, yesterday was MH 376 to CAN etc. 

Edited by Craig

MH really need a new marketing agency. How can such huge news be posted on a small hard to find press release page? Nothing on socials, front page of their website etc.? 

If you are lazy to click, MH will begin offering free WiFi too all pax including Economy beginning tomorrow (01 NOV). 

20 hours ago, Craig said:

MH really need a new marketing agency. How can such huge news be posted on a small hard to find press release page? Nothing on socials, front page of their website etc.? 

If you are lazy to click, MH will begin offering free WiFi too all pax including Economy beginning tomorrow (01 NOV). 

With plenty of seats on the A330/350s experiencing broken IFE's and half past 6 wireless IFE on the 737s. I wont be putting high expectations on this.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:02 AM, Craig said:

Is one of MH's 330 out or are they over optimistic with their 330 schedule? It seems like 1-2 330 flights are severely delayed for the past few weeks (not by 1-2 hours but sometimes up to 6-9 hours). e.g. today's MH 366 to TPE is delayed by 6.5 hours, yesterday was MH 376 to CAN etc. 

9M-MTN has another issue today delaying MH123 to SYD by 90 mins. The return flight was stuck was supposed to depart at 22:15 ( 3mins after the inbound landed) but finally left 06:54. Wonder if this was a tech issue?
The knock on effect is that MH715 to DPS is delayed from 09:00 - 16:43 and the subsequent return is delayed. A FB post said that the flight has been retimed 4 times and has yet to depart. This must be another tech issue and thankfully I don't have any flights booked on A332/333 at the moment.

6 hours ago, Robert said:

9M-MTN has another issue today delaying MH123 to SYD by 90 mins. The return flight was stuck was supposed to depart at 22:15 ( 3mins after the inbound landed) but finally left 06:54. Wonder if this was a tech issue?

The reason for the retime of return flight SYD-KUL to 6am the next morning perhaps is due to SYD airport curfew ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

19 hours ago, Pall said:

With plenty of seats on the A330/350s experiencing broken IFE's and half past 6 wireless IFE on the 737s. I wont be putting high expectations on this.

To be fair, I used it very recently and the speed was decent (before it was open to all). Much faster than say TK which is unusable most of the time because it's so slow. MH wasn't strict with the 100 Mbps limit back then. You could always get new vouchers from the crew.

10 hours ago, Robert said:

The knock on effect is that MH715 to DPS is delayed from 09:00 - 16:43 and the subsequent return is delayed. A FB post said that the flight has been retimed 4 times and has yet to depart. This must be another tech issue and thankfully I don't have any flights booked on A332/333 at the moment.

I think you mean MH 140/141? MH 122/123 is redeye ex-KUL and daytime ex-SYD. From the look of it, it appeared as tho it's tech out of KUL on MH140. MH should know better not to delay this flight too much as SYD has a curfew and they'd have to cancel or delay the flight until the curfew has passed. MTN was sitting on the ground for the whole night on the 30th. If they really have to delay a flight, most likely it's one of those morning greater China flights that will be delayed rather than SYD/MEL/AKL. SYD will be the worst option due to curfew.

MH715 was delayed by over 7 hours once or twice in October, sometimes waiting for MH161 from DOH. And today's MH 715 is already delayed by 1.75 hours. Maybe they are waiting for pax/aircraft on MH 195 from BOM which is running about 2 hours late.

4 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

The reason for the retime of return flight SYD-KUL to 6am the next morning perhaps is due to SYD airport curfew ?

Yes.

Edited by Craig