MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Wow, what a disaster.

As a side, I'm going to BKK for a holiday with my family later this month. With the ongoing fiasco, is it worth it to spend a bit for the lounge? Or will it not be related?

1 hour ago, jani said:

Wow, what a disaster.

As a side, I'm going to BKK for a holiday with my family later this month. With the ongoing fiasco, is it worth it to spend a bit for the lounge? Or will it not be related?

Just eat your meal before going to the airport, have some buns or cookies with you. BKK flight is two hours at most, not a long haul flight.

On 9/6/2023 at 2:51 PM, JuliusWong said:

Just eat your meal before going to the airport, have some buns or cookies with you. BKK flight is two hours at most, not a long haul flight.

Wow, what a reply :D

Sorry, didn't know flight duration and lounge use are related 🤣

4 hours ago, jani said:

Wow, what a reply :D

Sorry, didn't know flight duration and lounge use are related 🤣

Well, now the lounge will be packed with travelers since they also know MH is not providing food, so you are welcome to shield out RM200 for the lounge access and join the queue, see if you can get any food or not. Think smarter, bring your own food.

Another opinion, no need to feed too well prior to arrival into Bangkok city itself - there should be more than enough culinary excitements there to satisfy the resulting expanded appetites 😁

Edited by BC Tam

On 9/6/2023 at 1:32 PM, jani said:

Wow, what a disaster.

Depends on the lounge you have access to 😅 But I'd think no. Food is still provided on board, just that instead of the usual rice/noodles, you may get a fruit and cake. And since MH allows you to bring food onboard, I heard patin tempoyak taste great in flight 🤣

35 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Well, now the lounge will be packed with travelers since they also know MH is not providing food, so you are welcome to shield out RM200 for the lounge access and join the queue, see if you can get any food or not. Think smarter, bring your own food.

I went lounge hopping at KLIA yesterday (around 945-1115am) while waiting for my flight to Singapore, departing from MTB. Visited the new PPL near the H gate, and it was packed. Then I went to the regional Golden Lounge, and it was quiet, about 10 pax (I was expecting more pax but maybe not that may regional flights departing at that hour from MTB?). I must say the food offering in GL has improved. 

On board, I was served mineral water (which I prefer compared to the usual orange juice) and TWO packs of kacang - yes TWO - double the normal serving 😁

Edited by Lim Kar Yong
typo

On 9/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, jahur said:

Most of the food and beverages in the Golden Lounge been recently switched to Plaza Premium.

I was at the domestic MH lounge a few weeks ago and the food quality/selection has improved a lot.

I went lounge hopping at KLIA yesterday (around 945-1115am) while waiting for my flight to Singapore, departing from MTB. Visited the new PPL near the H gate, and it was packed. Then I went to the regional Golden Lounge, and it was quiet, about 10 pax (I was expecting more pax but maybe not that may regional flights departing at that hour from MTB?). I must say the food offering in GL has improved. 

I think you were right after the *scheduled* MH main morning departure bank. With current delays, who knows what the morning departure bank is. The GLL food has improved a lot.

Edited by Craig

12 hours ago, Craig said:

I was at the domestic MH lounge a few weeks ago and the food quality/selection has improved a lot.

Yes slightly better in quality and a lot more variety than what the actual Plaza premium lounge serves and an improvement over MAS Awana's serving in the Golden Lounge. It shows Plaza Premium can actually put up a good selection in their own lounges but only opted to do so for external third party contract catering.

"Brahim's ready to welcome Malaysia Airlines back with open arms"

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2023/09/952644/brahims-ready-welcome-malaysia-airlines-back-open-arms

SEPANG: Brahim's Holdings Bhd is ready to welcome Malaysia Airlines owned by Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) back with open arms should the latter decide to work together again.

"We're very open to welcome them (MAG) back. But of course the terms must be fair. I'm doing a very fair business. If the term is fair then we're willing to accept (them back)," Brahim's group chief executive officer Mohd Fadhli Abdul Rahman told the media at a press conference today.

Malaysia Airlines has been in the news recently for flight delays and dissatisfaction with its onboard meals brought on by the change in inflight catering supplier since September 1, 2023.

Hahaha! It will be fun to see MH going back to Brahim! 

11 hours ago, jahur said:

Yes slightly better in quality and a lot more variety than what the actual Plaza premium lounge serves and an improvement over MAS Awana's serving in the Golden Lounge. It shows Plaza Premium can actually put up a good selection in their own lounges but only opted to do so for external third party contract catering.

Most visitors to plaza premium lounge at kul are credit card holders travelling in ey, have low expectations. A reason why they have plaza premium first for airlines.

Edited by KK Lee

3 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Standard Autopilot position the gov will have. "This is a dispute between 2 commercial party we will not interfere." Consumers and frontline staffs will just bear the brunt.

On another note, Hot meals expected to come in month end however don't expect proper meals. None of the vendors(except Post aviation, Santan, Brahim) can cleanup cutlery none of the other vendors are expected to take certification for it due to cost. Enjoy having business class meal on disposable paper plates. Selection on all classes will also be limited due to meal volume constraint.

Also the disruption will persist steadfast 6months unless someone concedes defeat ahead of schedule lol. 

20 hours ago, jahur said:

Standard Autopilot position the gov will have. "This is a dispute between 2 commercial party we will not interfere." Consumers and frontline staffs will just bear the brunt.

On another note, Hot meals expected to come in month end however don't expect proper meals. None of the vendors(except Post aviation, Santan, Brahim) can cleanup cutlery none of the other vendors are expected to take certification for it due to cost. Enjoy having business class meal on disposable paper plates. Selection on all classes will also be limited due to meal volume constraint.

Also the disruption will persist steadfast 6months unless someone concedes defeat ahead of schedule lol. 

MH doesn't seems to be backing down, I don't think MH will blink any time soon. It is a lost for Brahim now. Insider's story is they are talking with GateGourmet, dnata, and LSG Sky Chefs to set up a joint venture, in upscaling Pos Aviation operation. 

Christchurch Airport scores United, China Southern; looks to build more Asian connections

https://www.ttgasia.com/2023/06/27/christchurch-airport-scores-united-china-southern-looks-to-build-more-asian-connections

Christchurch Airport currently serves Singapore Airlines and Emirates too, which Callaway said provided strong credentials for the facility.

Looking ahead, Callaway is eager to court Malaysia Airlines and Korean Air.

“Korean Air used to fly 10 flights a week to Christchurch pre-Covid, so that’s one that could certainly move going forward.

“There is a lot of demand from travellers all around the world coming to Christchurch through Singapore, so much so there is year-round pressure for seats. It would be good to get another service on that route. Malaysia Airlines flying to Christchurch would also work very well because of Malaysia’s young and active traveller market. These travellers are very digitally-aware, they would go off to everywhere in the country, and would visit across all seasons,” he explained.

Malaysia Airlines last venture into Christchurch was code-sharing flight with Ansett Australia. The service stopped in 2001 when Ansett Australia collapsed in the same year after strings of mismanagement and 9/11 incident. It would be good if MH considers CHC, perhaps when A330neos delivery starts.

Edited by JuliusWong

20 hours ago, jahur said:

Wonder if anyone ever considered uplifting meals from other stations that have proper catering facilities instead - SIN, BKK, CGK ...? 😀

Sure it's going to be costly, but at silly situations, absurdity may prove useful 

22 hours ago, BC Tam said:

Wonder if anyone ever considered uplifting meals from other stations that have proper catering facilities instead - SIN, BKK, CGK ...? 😀

Sure it's going to be costly, but at silly situations, absurdity may prove useful 

Hotmeals are already back, its only a matter of weeks before offerings are restored as per the media announcement yesterday. 

In other news, MH and CX will not proceed with their joint business (metal-neutral, network planning and coordination etc.) application with MAVCOM. It appears that MAVCOM isn't satisfied with the outcome of this proposed JB as it will severely hamper competition between MY and HK.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:56 PM, KK Lee said:

Most visitors to plaza premium lounge at kul are credit card holders travelling in ey, have low expectations. A reason why they have plaza premium first for airlines.

I am curious if you know that the most revered airline in MWings, SQ, is using PP Business for their business/*G pax?

On 9/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, BC Tam said:

Probably not SIN. It's too short of a flight to upload proper meals. BKK/DPS has almost always been uplifted from outstation. Some cities like HKT, PNH etc. are back-catered (i.e. uplifted from KUL).

On 9/18/2023 at 11:08 AM, Riza said:

Anyone know does MH operate up to double daily to NRT & daily to HND now?

Just 7 weekly NRT and 5 weekly HND. HND will be swapped with NRT in a few days and HND doesn't appear in schedule until Summer 2024 (not open for sale, but MH70/71, the daytime KUL-NRT is open for sale). I don't know if HND schedule is not working out for them or if they can't get a permanent preferred slot at HND.

main news image

Malaysia Airlines gradually restoring full meal service - Loke

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2023/09/956289/malaysia-airlines-gradually-restoring-full-meal-service-loke

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines has reintroduced hot meals for some sectors after receiving additional equipment for in-flight food preparation.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said that the airline is now bringing back their 'signature MH' dishes, such as satay, which is served in business class.

He stated that any inconveniences still faced by the national airline on other flights was deeply regrettable.

"However, Malaysia Airlines is working to fully restore the situation as soon as possible," he said in a Facebook post yesterday.

Malaysia Airlines: Full meal service restored by mid-November

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2023/09/955686/malaysia-airlines-full-meal-service-restored-mid-november

https://theedgemalaysia.com/node/682660

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd expects to restore its full meal service onboard its flights by mid-November this year.

It has started providing hot meals onboard flights that were affected by its recent catering transition with the arrival of 10 new high-lift trucks. 

The national carrier's parent company, Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) said the trucks are used to uplift the meal carts at the correct temperatures to preserve the freshness of hot and ambient meals while maintaining stringent quality and safety practices throughout the uplifting process. 

MAG also said Malaysia Airlines had to temporarily suspend its hot meals offerings since Sept 1 due to the lack number of high-lift trucks available. 

In an interview with the New Straits Times (NST) last week, MAG group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail said Malaysia Airlines had to face teething challenges over the distribution of hot meals due to the limited number of high-lift trucks.

The trucks are owned and operated by MAG's ground handling unit, AeroDarat Services Sdn Bhd. 

AeroDarat is expected to receive another 10 new high-lift trucks in October. 

Izham said AeroDarat had bought 20 new high-lift trucks in June this year when negotiations between MAG and Brahim's Holdings Bhd's in-flight catering unit, Brahim's Food Services Sdn Bhd (BFS) went south. 

Malaysia Airlines and BFS ended their 26-year partnership on Aug. 31. 

Meanwhile, MAG said Malaysia Airlines has reintroduced simplified hot meals for business class passengers on the Bangkok and Denpasar routes since Sept 11.

It also said that hot meals are also served for economy class passengers traveling to Bangkok and Denpasar as well as for all cabin class on flights from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Manila and Hong Kong. 

"Business class passengers heading to all South Asia sectors will additionally enjoy the renowned Malaysia Airlines satay. Other Asean cities will be served with hot meals in stages," MAG said in a statement today.

Malaysia Airlines had introduced revised in-flight meal offerings on routes previously served by BFS since Sept 1.

The revised meals include its signature peanuts and beverages, refreshments in ready-to-go boxes with pre-packaged pastries, chocolate, biscuits, and drinks or hot meals in disposable containers presented on a simplified tray set-up.

The national carrier's services on the London, Auckland, Jeddah, Madinah, Osaka and Haneda (Tokyo) routes remain unaffected.

Australia begins investigating two runway excursions at Melbourne Airport

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/atsb-mel-runway-exc

A Malaysia Airlines Airbus A330 and Bamboo Airways Boeing 787-9 rotated too late on two separate incidents at MEL

The Australian Transportation Board (ATSB) detailed that two separate runway excursions have led to Melbourne Airport (MEL) stopping runway overlay works.

According to the ATSB, it will investigate two incidents where a Malaysian Airlines Airbus A330, registered as 9M-MTL, and a Bamboo Airways Boeing 787-9, registered as VN-A819, rotated past the temporary displaced threshold. On both occasions the jet blast affected people and objects working on the runway.

The incident involving Malaysian Airlines took place on September 7, 2023, while the Bamboo Airways 787-9 rotated too late on September 18, 2023.

According to flightradar24.com data, the Airbus A330 continued to its destination Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL), Malaysia, without further incident. The Bamboo Airways jet, which was traveling to Hanoi Noi Bai International Airport (HAN), Vietnam, also continued to its destination.

29 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Australia begins investigating two runway excursions at Melbourne Airport

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/atsb-mel-runway-exc

The Australian Transportation Board (ATSB) detailed that two separate runway excursions have led to Melbourne Airport (MEL) stopping runway overlay works.

No brainer seeing MEL and SYD runway length was temporary shorten to something about 2000meters(shorter than the extended runway at Sandakan 2500meters) occasionally on certain daytime periods. An aircraft needing to do flights of more than 4hours plus fully loaded with passengers would be risking overrun plus bonus risk if ground temperature exceeds 30c. 

Had to Google this place...

Malaysia Airlines Adds Kertajati Service in NW23

Malaysia Airlines at the launch of Northern winter 2023/24 season is launching service on Kuala Lumpur – Kertajati route, its latest route to Indonesia. The oneWorld member will operate 2 weekly flights from 30OCT23, with Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

MH845 KUL1825 – 1950KJT 738 15
MH844 KJT2050 – 0015+1KUL 738 15

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230928-mhnw23kjt

26 minutes ago, Chris Tan said:

Had to Google this place...

ID closed the old BDO airport and this new airport is located a good 100km from the city of Bandung. Makes KUL seems like Haneda now. MH even provides complimentary shuttle from KJT to the city (takes 1.5 hours according to their website but who knows).

And I am curious why most of these secondary/tertiary ID (other than KNO/DPS) cities get these departure from KUL? YIA, KJT, PKU all departs around 1700-1900 and arrives back to KUL close to midnight. Even SUB's daily flight whilst not the most ideal, departs around 07:00.