MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS keen on sale of aircraft

Two stories in The Star today.

MAS keen on sale of aircraft

By B.K. SIDHU

PETALING JAYA: About 30 aircraft are expected to be put up for sale if Malaysia Airlines (MAS) can persuade its parent Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB) to dispose of the planes to raise cash that it needs to fund its operations.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...95&sec=business

We want to see both MAS and AirAsia succeed

COMMENT

BY WONG CHUN WAI

DATUK Tony Fernandes and Idris Jala are the two most watched persons in Malaysian aviation. Fernandes is regarded by the public as the one who has made flying affordable to all and is somewhat of a folk hero.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...4133&sec=nation

747 doesn't fit the airlines?????????????????????????????

It's too late to sell because they already invest hundreds millions for the reconfigure...........may be not

Throw airbus lo

Sources said MAS was looking to dispose of 12 or 13 B747-400, several B737-400, Fokkers and even some Twin-Otters. The final list would be drawn when MAS has finalised its network rationalisation and fleet requirement plan, which sources said might be completed by mid-year.

“One thing for sure is the B747 would not fit into MAS’ new network plan. But MAS likes the B777 and A330 aircraft,’’ a source said.

PMB has thirty-five B737 and sixteen B747 planes. It also has 10 Fokkers and five Twin-Otters and is in negotiations to dispose of one Fokker. Talk of the B737 sale has been circulating for some time now but nothing has materialised.

i might be wrong, but doesnt MH have 17 B747-400, and 17 B777-200, plus the 2 B747-400F coming soon.

Is getting rid of the B747 that good an idea, especially with the A380 coming? I agree that the B777's are the way to go.. and they should probably invest in a few more in coming years, either that or with B787s or A350s.. that seems to be the way to go...

and if possible, later on maybe some B748 to supplement and replace the B747s in teh fleet with aircraft of similar size with better fuel economy.

my view anyways..

For info...only one 777 belongs to MAS, 9M-MRE.

Whenever i fly, we have to check a document bag, in there, there are a few documents that is important for the aircraft to carry...one of it is Owners certificate.

Whenever i fly, we have to check a document bag, in there, there are a few documents that is important for the aircraft to carry...one of it is Owners certificate.

Only one ? Amazing discovery !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting. Under what circumstances would the owner's certificate be inspected?

.ny

Disposing of the 747's and keeping the 380 order ? hhmmmmmm....

Maybe ditching the A380 order is the way to go (I'm unfamiliar with the economic advantages of the A380 over the 747, so pardon the seeming ignorance) - after all when we first started out in 1972 we did not straight away get the grandest airliner of the time - the 747s - heck, we even acquired only second-hand 707s!

Edited by H Azmal

Agree with Azmal. Unless they planned to cancel the majority of their international route, otherwise they will get into the Catch 22 situation.......

Ditch the A380 orders might be a way to go....

cancel 3 A380 and use the money to order A320's...

Are they crazy or sumthin..Gettin rid of 13 or 12 747..Damm..

I doubt Airbus will allow them to cancel all the A380 orders. Think on the Airbus side, what you would feel if someone wants to buy ur product and then decides to cancel them?

About 747, maybe lease out 3/4 of them may generate some income for long term.

Edited by Adrian M

I doubt Airbus will allow them to cancel all the A380 orders. Think on the Airbus side, what you would feel if someone wants to buy ur product and then decides to cancel them?

About 747, maybe lease out 3/4 of them may generate some income for long term.

Worth trying - especially in the current condition. Tthere have been cancellation of order cases before. When you run businesses I don't think such 'feeling' should dictate your overall policy. One should not become a businessman if he cannot free himself of emotions - think about it - what kind of businessman would I be if I don't reposses a car because I think of the owner's feelings? Not meaning to be cruel there but feelings should not be a determining factor when running a business.

To reiterate my earlier point, MAS should consider cancelling the order if they have not yet finalised the purchase contract (or whatever it is that binds MAS legally to a commitment to purchase).

Edited by H Azmal

Guest Fendy

would the 747s really go, even after the cabin upgrade?

bye bye hibiscus... :(

If they sell of their airbusses haha my friends father gonna go for new traning...boeing :p

@TK

You know any A330 Capt?And for 777 you know Arthur?

Rally shock to see this news in The Star at school today!

I think MH should cancel A380 oreders instead of selling out the 747-400! What would ppl feel and say..

Biggest Airline in South East Asia only owned 5/6 747-400(+SP)! :angry:

Besides, what does 'only one 777 belongs to MAS" ? The rest one?

some of our 734,Fokker and Otter will be leaving soon.. :mellow: Really shock!

MH, think carefully!

Rally shock to see this news in The Star at school today!

I think MH should cancel A380 oreders instead of selling out the 747-400! What would ppl feel and say..

Biggest Airline in South East Asia only owned 5/6 747-400(+SP)! :angry:

some of our 734,Fokker and Otter will be leaving soon.. :mellow: Really shock!

MH, think carefully!

I think the airline's priority now is reviving its fortunes rather than clinging on to tags like 'biggest airline in south east asia', 'friendliest cabin crew' or 'across 6 continents.' As has been convincingly demonstrated, there's no use in claiming these titles when you're in danger of insolvency.

Edited by Keith T

As a home for MAS, KLIA will be a relatively deserted place, and all hopes of being an airline hub will collapse under the weight of its enormous roof.

Others owned by PMB, SALE of S'pore, ALAFCO of Kuwait etc. In many instances, the Cert. of Ownership will probably state some offshore company, which are merely legal entities, for isolating potential legal liabilities.

MH or any airline for that matter need not have ownership of aircraft - no customer chooses an airline based on the ownership of an aircraft plying that particular route.

Others owned by PMB, SALE of S'pore, ALAFCO of Kuwait etc. In many instances, the Cert. of Ownership will probably state some offshore company, which are merely legal entities, for isolating potential legal liabilities.

MH or any airline for that matter need not have ownership of aircraft - no customer chooses an airline based on the ownership of an aircraft plying that particular route.

I notice when entering a plane, right at the door, if I look up, just above my head I could see a small metalic plate riveted in, containing name of owner. Right?

.ny

cancel 3 A380 and use the money to order A320's...
I fail to see what that would acheive? MAS need some streamlining and at the moment that would be getting rid of surplus a/c, its quite amazing the amount of a/c you see sitting static for up to 24hrs at KLIA, particularly over at the satellite terminal. An airline can't make money with its a/c on terra firma! Adding A320's would do no good what so ever. Fleet renewal is further down the track when they sort themselves out.

Naim, correct. Has type, owner, con number...

I notice when entering a plane, right at the door, if I look up, just above my head I could see a small metalic plate riveted in, containing name of owner. Right?

.ny

Yes - the legal owner, which can be Indah Mutiara (Cayman) Ltd, for e.g.

But it could be owned ultimately by ALAFCO or PMB.

oMG... why the B744??? and selling 12/13 of them is like cutting the airline into HALF! that's out of the question cause MAS is like now selling half of their fleet... so much for "biggest airline in SEA"

my advise...sell more A330, sell less than half 744 fleet, start buying B787!!! , refurbish their B777, and BLOODY keep those A380!!!

A380 and B777 and A340 and B787 will be the only to the future for MAS. Cause u see.... imagine MAS having only A320... ppl might think that MAS is a no-frill airline and they might even think that AIrasia is the national carrier...

Mas...put ur head together k? stop employing those retards doing things that are shouldn't be done... Retards...

MAS... if u don't pull this off, ur future is likely to be a narrow one.... just be wise

Sign in to follow this