MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sharil Abdul Rahman

Miri flight stopped because...someone dived out of a plane.

Flight delay as man jumps off moving plane

MIRI: A man jumped out of a moving aircraft while it was about to take off.

Air Asia flight AK 5187 from Miri to Kuala Lumpur was scheduled to take off at 7.40pm yesterday.

However, it was delayed for over an hour as a result of the runway drama.

A witness said that as the plane was about to take off, the man suddenly opened the emergency doors and leapt out.

“The raft automatically opened. Other passengers started screaming. The plane was brought to a halt,” said flight passenger Siva Nathiran.

AirAsia’s regional head of flight operations Captain Datuk Fareh Ishraf Mazputra said the aircraft had just started taxing when a passenger ran and opened the door.

“There were no injuries and the passenger was arrested,” he said.

The man was then taken to Miri hospital. Sources said the man, believed to be aged 24, did not suffer any injuries as a result of the fall.

Miri police chief Asst Comm Mun Kock Keong said police were in the midst of piecing together the details of the incident.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/4/nation/11796210&sec=nation

Didnt this happen in Vietnam recently? O.o

Is it so easy to open? I thought it should be "armed and cross-checked" before taxi?

When the door is armed, it means that the slide will deploy when the door is open. Which is why it is unarmed before disembarkation and armed when the aircraft starts moving. This is so that if evacuation is required, the moment the doors open the slide will deploy and passengers can evacuate.

In fact, i think its easier to open the doors when the doors are armed as it has a hydraulic damper actuator that gives the door a boost, and the fact that the slide deploys almost instantly helps push the door out of the way.

Thanks for the explanation.

In this case seems easier to explain why the door and slide behave that way, but not the human. :p

When the door is armed, it means that the slide will deploy when the door is open. Which is why it is unarmed before disembarkation and armed when the aircraft starts moving. This is so that if evacuation is required, the moment the doors open the slide will deploy and passengers can evacuate.

In fact, i think its easier to open the doors when the doors are armed as it has a hydraulic damper actuator that gives the door a boost, and the fact that the slide deploys almost instantly helps push the door out of the way.

Is that the main exit doors? I assumed the guy pulled the overwing emergency exit which was easier to open right?

Is that the main exit doors? I assumed the guy pulled the overwing emergency exit which was easier to open right?

Yeah thats the main doors i was talking about, however which door he opened I am not too sure!

Lol! A similar incident happened to a flight my wife was supposed to get on a couple of months ago in Miri. Apparently, somed10t decided to open the emergency doors on landing..

Plenty of crazy people in Miri?

(Apparently, he saw a ghost on board. Now EVERYTHING can fly.)

MIRI: The case of a man surnamed Chong jumping off an AirAsia plane Friday will be handled by Malaysian Airport Berhad, says the police chief here ACP Mun Kock Keong.

“It is being investigated under the Aviation Act,” he explained.

Mun said this when contacted by thesundaypost yesterday on the latest development in the ‘jumping’ case which stunned Mirians.

The 24-year-old suspect jumped from the aircraft which was about to take off from Miri Airport for Kuala Lumpur on Friday evening.

It was supposed to fly to Kuala Lumpur at 7.30pm.

The incident caused several flights to be delayed, only resuming at midnight.

According to some passengers on board the flight, they saw the man arguing with someone next to his seat before running towards the emergency door.

Several on-duty stewardesses inside the aircraft tried to stop the man from opening the emergency door, but could not. The aircraft was moving then.

“I heard the man shouting ‘I saw ghosts inside this plane’, “ one of the passengers onboard told thesundaypost yesterday.

The man sustained some broken bones from the fall.

Police received a call on the incident at about 8pm and rushed to the scene.

Several aircraft were delayed for two hours before being permitted to fly at midnight.

I think the incident is not a laughing matter as It could end with a catastrophic result but thank the Almighty that no one else is hurt.

All the passengers and crews onboard would have been shaken if not traumatized by this incident.

Perhaps he just wanted to rehearse the procedure for opening the door "in the unlikely event of an emergency landing".

Perhaps his girlfriend was wearing make-up inspired by the cabin crew of AirAsia and he turned around and thought he saw "someone" who emerged from among the banana trees ...

Can anyone establish whether the plane was beginning to taxy on the ramp, or was it on the taxyway or on the runway as news reports seem to suggest? I realise that many reporters could not distinguish the difference between these locations and any time that the plane is moving, they consider the plane being on the runway.

Whatever happens, thank goodness the flight was safe.

KC Sim

This is one stupid way to ditch your girlfriend or challenge a dare. The next thing he'll be challenging is a lawsuit!

This is scary - it was good that it happened on the ground and the plane did not crash.

I think aircraft manufacturers will have to start thinking about designing locking mechanisms that are not so easily opened by passengers. With only 4 cabin crew on board, it would be hard for them to prevent any passenger who is determined to open the doors, unless other pax assist to subdue the amok.

As I understand it, it's not physically possible for the average person to prise open those emergency exit doors when up in the air

But then again, the chap can hardly be considered 'average' for wanting to exit the plane in such manner :)

Passengers should have the sanity and logic enough to know when such doors should be opened (in normal case, during emergency situation involving entire passengers and crews)...

Aircraft doors are designed to be open by just anybody (adult)... Imagine in an emergency, do pax have to wait for the cabin crew to open the doors for them? Sure not.... In this case, the well-designed door was not the culprit.

Sign in to follow this