MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fendy

AK agrees to buy MH assets

Guest Fendy

SEPANG: AirAsia Bhd is prepared to acquire some of Malaysia Airlines' (MAS) aircraft and staff, in its proposed rationalisation plan to take over the ailing national carrier’s loss-incurring domestic routes.

However, the specific numbers of what it will acquire will depend on what routes to be handed to the low-cost airline.

“It will likely range from four to nine aircraft, like its 737-300s and 737-400s, and from 200 to 1,600 staff. We can take those, but that is MAS choice,†AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes told reporters at a press conference yesterday.

Depending on what price it is offering, AirAsia has the choice to either lease or purchase the aircraft.

Fernandes also stressed that AirAsia could take over domestic routes without any subsidy from the Government. “We can actually start doing this in 24 hours,†he said, adding that the one-year period proposed by MAS was too long.

Under the proposed plan, AirAsia would take over any of MAS domestic operations that the latter intended to exit, including the Kuala Lumpur-Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur-Kuantan routes. It would not operate Lahad Datu, Limbang and Mulu routes as the present runways there were unable to accommodate AirAsia’s fleet of Boeing 737-300 and Airbus A320 aircraft. It will also not take over the rural air services.

Domestic routes contribute about 65% to AirAsia's revenue.

Earlier yesterday, AirAsia and Celcom (Malaysia) Bhd introduced their first collaborative effort, a budget starter pack for mobile communications, which would be retailed to AirAsia passengers.

With that, Celcom hopes to tap a market of some 16 million customers, including budget travellers and tourists who may benefit from their prepaid mobile phone plans.

Celcom chief executive officer Datuk Shazalli Ramly also said he hoped to have more tie-ups with AirAsia.

The low-cost carrier will also collaborate with Celcom’s sister companies in Thailand and Indonesia to produce similar packages for customers.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...01&sec=business

oh todays star got yati and lilys picture. not bad... :lol:

There's a whole load of MAS news in today's Bizweek pullout of The Star. Click underlined titles below to read full stories.

Can Malaysia Airlines turnaround?

People have been waiting to hear this for a long time,” said Idris Jala of Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS)'s turnaround plan, looking up at rows upon rows of analysts and media representatives poised with vulture-like intent.

A heavy load for Jala

Excerpts from an interview BizWeek's editor Anita Gabriel had with Malaysia Airlines Idris Jala on efforts to turnaround MAS.

The MAS plan

MAS' cash balance as of December 2005 stood at RM1.18bil. In order to prevent it reaching critical levels, which could potentially happen as soon as April 2006, a number of survival measures have been identified.

Are they impressed with MAS' plans?

Some comments from analysts on the MAS revamp plan.

KUL- KUA also not good ? Surprising !!!!!!

Always full to the brim, but then again its a matter of yield and etc etc...

:p

Very interesting move, and they can do this in 24 hours... :o

We've a Dutch saying like "you'll hit two flies with one hit": AK can expand their domestic market and MH will get rid-off their "loss"-making routes...

Just a matter of overhead costs here; why can AK operate the 737's on the same route profitable, while MH cannot ?

ohno.... then many ppl will feel disappointed lor..... btw, hope AK will use the MH 734 Business class... too many business man, or should i said OKK fly those domestic routes....

Just a matter of overhead costs here; why can AK operate the 737's on the same route profitable, while MH cannot ?

MH spend on 'special' overhead items. AK does not.

MH is a rice bowl for some power people, but not AK.

or just like example on some airline company in the west. Plane is MH734...just on have small "operated by Air Asia" sticker on the fuselage.

wao staff transfering!!

Many MAS staffs will be angry if this ever happen ...... (much lower salary).

777 pilots for sale....yeah...cheap cheap. Low cost one...buy one get one free... :angry:

Come desert...we give you house with swimming pool... :lol:

Eventhough they are losing money, MH will never "sell" employees because I read somwhere that the staffs will remain and bonus will paid to good employees...

Many MAS staffs will be angry if this ever happen ...... (much lower salary).

hope they are not selling off their pilot @@"

..... MH will never "sell" employees .....

And I was under impression slavery was done away with long ago ! Time to get updated :rolleyes:

I thought all MH's flying assets were sold off to PMB during last episode of 'restructuring' ? And losses incurred on domestic operations borne by Malaysian govt (very silent on issue if profit made, or is that considered a non issue ? :p )

So, very perplexing to see 'aircraft sale' and 'domestic losses' resurfacing

Come desert...we give you house with swimming pool...

Airlines of the desert say: Sorry.... we don't fly narrowbodies :D :D :D Therefore, no house with swimming pool for you! Better luck next time, ouch!

Sad to see some highly qualified MAS pilots to fly for 'el cheapo' airlines..... :o :o :o

Edited by S V Choong

Its happening again; First Ryanair vs. Aer Lingus, now AirAsia vs. Malaysia Airlines in the takeover shares :o :blink: . What's next :huh: :mellow: :o ?

Its happening again; First Ryanair vs. Aer Lingus, now AirAsia vs. Malaysia Airlines in the takeover shares :o :blink: . What's next :huh: :mellow: :o ?

??? :blink:

I think you're slightly confused there Andrew - this is old news and is about domestic rationalisation.. AirAsia will never buy into MAS (especially at this moment in time)... They were looking at expanding collaboration by way of interlining and perhaps even some codesharing at most.. but that's all up in the air at the moment because of indifferences between the two.

MAS' sale of 734s and staff to AXM, well, I don't think it quite happened the way it sounded in the Article Fendy posted at the top of this thread... AXM definately doesnt have any MAS 734s.. I think. :)

Airlines of the desert say: Sorry.... we don't fly narrowbodies :D :D :D Therefore, no house with swimming pool for you! Better luck next time, ouch!

Sad to see some highly qualified MAS pilots to fly for 'el cheapo' airlines..... :o :o :o

pardon me.

does 'el cheapo' airline mean low quality pilots? im just saying.

n is it really necessary to be with so called high class airline to be recognised as highly qualified pilots?

again, im just saying. peace~

pardon me.

does 'el cheapo' airline mean low quality pilots? im just saying.

n is it really necessary to be with so called high class airline to be recognised as highly qualified pilots?

again, im just saying. peace~

Certainly not, if I say YES, I will get flame for sure :pardon: , anyhow, SV doesn't seems to say what you translated up there, but more like pity to the pilots to work for low cost, may be the salary less or less pleasure at work and something like that................ :)

2 cents

Btw, what happen thou.............I believe no MAS staffs/Equipments being transfer, so no more argue.

Edited by Seth K

anyhow, SV doesn't seems to say what you translated up there, but more like pity to the pilots to work for low cost, may be the salary less or less pleasure at work and something like that................ :)

Exactly !

Certainly not, if I say YES, I will get flame for sure :pardon: , anyhow, SV doesn't seems to say what you translated up there, but more like pity to the pilots to work for low cost, may be the salary less or less pleasure at work and something like that................ :)

2 cents

Btw, what happen thou.............I believe no MAS staffs/Equipments being transfer, so no more argue.

naahh.. wasnt trying to translate what SV said.. im sure he meant sthg else.. :)

i was just saying... in general. u nawmsaying?

plissssssssssss dont get me wrong~ k k?? :)

Sign in to follow this