MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Juanda I.

Is it time for SIN to open up the 3rd runway?

Hi, just wondering about the runway to the east of 02R at WSSS. Is this for military use or is it a part of WSSS for use in the future?

(Pic taken from Google Earth)

wsss.jpg

Edited by mingalababya

This parallel runway 02R/20L (previously named 01/19 when opened in 2004) was built 1.8 kilometers (1.1 mi) to the east of 02C/20C, currently used only by Republic of Singapore Air Force aircraft as part of Changi Airbase (East). The new runway is expected to be extended and eventually be turned into a third runway for the airport in future expansion plans.

:drinks:

Few years ago while waiting for my flight back to KUL. Manage to spot a few F-16 taking off from the third runway. Very loud takeoff that I can hear even inside the terminal.

Departed on 3K to Phuket on 02NOV at about 0900 in the morning and I counted at least 12 aircraft taxiing for departure...

304236_10150446602805757_562105756_10370029_283445059_n.jpg

The delays and long winded approaches are getting worse but the airport has two runways and when you compare it to LHR, SIN has much less traffic. Perhaps the issue is with ATC who need to be able to handle more traffic?

I know Ive read on some forums about pilots complaining that the they arrive late because of long winded approaches.

The delays and long winded approaches are getting worse but the airport has two runways and when you compare it to LHR, SIN has much less traffic. Perhaps the issue is with ATC who need to be able to handle more traffic?

I know Ive read on some forums about pilots complaining that the they arrive late because of long winded approaches.

Yes, LHR also has two runways and they also are compaigning to run them mixed mode (i.e. for both take off and landings) so that runway capacity can be further optimised. There will be times when one runway may be idle and can be used for another aircraft movement, if only it was permitted.

Yes, LHR also has two runways and they also are compaigning to run them mixed mode (i.e. for both take off and landings) so that runway capacity can be further optimised. There will be times when one runway may be idle and can be used for another aircraft movement, if only it was permitted.

Is there any well-known airport in the world with a dual mode runway as of today?

Never really thought about it until this was brought up.

Edited by Wilson Kook

Is there any well-known airport in the world with a dual mode runway as of today?

Never really thought about it until this was brought up.

Jakarta, CGK uses dual mode runway's

Recent trip to HKG as well, seems that a third runway is also necessary. I counted 6-7 aircraft queuing for my 9:00am departure to KUL.

They could perhaps close Changi Coast Road and convert that into the 3rd runway. Heathrow utilises 2 runways till this day BTW.

3rd runway is already built. It's currently used by RSAF and it's a matter of time before they use it for civilian aircraft as well. I think it's about time though.

KLIA is much underutilised as compared to LHR, SIN, HKG... already building a (?unnecessary) 3rd runway.

Correction - KLIA MTB is underutlised and looks like a ghost town. KLIA LCCT is bursting at the seams and looks like a refugee camp! :)

Yes, with KLIA looking set to handle 32m passengers in 2011, it looks like the third runway may not be necessary. However, since they are building the permanent LCCT, it would be wise to do so as we know that the LCCT traffic can grow very quickly, once the capacity to handle the pax is ready. We are finally building something in anticipation rather than building something in reaction!

The way the terminals are constructed in SIN, which are between the 2 runways, using the 3rd runway will not make much difference as aircraft will need a very long taxi to the new runway. If they ever build another terminal between the center and 3rd runway, then the 3rd runway will become practical.

Very good point, Capt Radzi!

I guess that total time between push back to being airborne is similar, and that is why the third runway is currently not used.

..... We are finally building something in anticipation rather than building something in reaction!

May well be true for new KLIA LCCT - jury still out on that though

But seems like other airports in Malaysia are being built proactively, in anticipation of anticipated traffic - sustained anticipation in fact ....... :D

The way the terminals are constructed in SIN, which are between the 2 runways, using the 3rd runway will not make much difference as aircraft will need a very long taxi to the new runway. If they ever build another terminal between the center and 3rd runway, then the 3rd runway will become practical.

Exactly. That would render the SAF runway useless. I doubt SAF would want to give it up. It has no other bases on the East. It would be more practical to build a parallel runway along Changi Coast Road so that the current 2 can be used for takeoffs and the 3rd runway for landings during the morning rush hour, as opposed to the current system. Of course, my guess is that the future Terminal 4 in 2030 or 2040 will likely be built around the parcel of land tween Changi and the SAF base.

Capt. How do you find the delays at Changi? From my weekly travels its not too bad but more often then not we are vectored the long way round due to "traffic" which oftten causes a small delay.

issue is that when Changi have a backlog of planes taking-off is bec its using just one runway at that time and it does too occassionally during morning peak hrs which for some reason dont know why they do such - as have been delayed due to one runway for landing n departure.

Capt. How do you find the delays at Changi? From my weekly travels its not too bad but more often then not we are vectored the long way round due to "traffic" which oftten causes a small delay.

Had 2 such occasions. Delayed an hour on my MH flight to KUL and 35 mins on TR to KCH. All due to backlog.

Sign in to follow this