MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

MAS Charter

I'm sure many of us are interested to see the new reconfigured 'Kuala Lumpur'...

The first class cabin remains with 12 seats...

Hajj-8030.jpg

The lower business class was removed... and reconfigured with economy...

Hajj-8033.jpg

Hajj-8039.jpg

Reclined position for front & rear rows in what use to be business class

Hajj-8038.jpg

The original economy class remains...

Hajj-8045.jpg

Hajj-8044.jpg

Hajj-8043.jpg

Hajj-8041.jpg

Hajj-8037.jpg

Seat pitch still remains 34"

Hajj-7941.jpg

Major changes are in the upper deck...

now the deck seats 60pax in economy...

Hajj-8046.jpg

Pitch looks more generous than lower deck

Hajj-8047.jpg

and yes.... those on window seats has the side cabinet as well... :)

and there's big space when someone brought in extra large size luggage

Hajj-8048.jpg

Front office still remain as original.... :p

Hajj-8000.jpg

Thank you for the coverage Norman, it described a lot.

Hajj-8033.jpg

There seem to be no room for reclining for the seats against the wall. Those are definitely the seats to be avoided.

I hope someone can answer my earlier question about why MPQ was chosen for this reconfiguration exercise.

Some issues in my head:

• MPQ is the youngest B744 in the fleet - logically should be the most prized aircraft for normal operation. Being the youngest equates to being the most efficient and costing the least for maintenance.
  • Charter business is 'seasonal' in nature, why not reconfigured older B744 which is the least desired for normal operation?
  • Being dedicated to only Charter operation, MPQ can expect its utilization rate to come spiraling down as most of the time it might be spending time on the ground rather than in the air.
  • Since MPQ has been designated for this purpose, can we conclude that MH will get rid of all the other older B744s by 2012 when all the A380s arrived or MPP will be retained to serve CPT-EZE?
  • MH will come up with new hardwares (new seats, new IFE etc) [? Although with no clear indication, MH is crazy if the current seats will be installed on the new aircrafts] for the new B738, A333 and A380 aircrafts that will start arriving this year. Does MAS Charter ok with operating older seats, older IFE, older everything then? Will it lead to product conflict? Or is there plan for MPQ to undergo another round of reconfiguration for the installation of new seats to match the future mainstream product?

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Some issues in my head:

• MPQ is the youngest B744 in the fleet - logically should be the most prized aircraft for normal operation. Being the youngest equates to being the most efficient and costing the least for maintenance.

Being not the youngest in the fleet does not necessarily mean the cheapest: it all comes down to flighthours and cycles of the said aircraft with regard to maintenance; (just like your car)...MPD can have less hours and cycles on the frame than MPQ, for instance.

Rest is for capt. Nik to answer... :pardon:

Sounds like many 747s will be retired soon (in 2-3 years).

Will MH ever use this aircraft for a normal operation? I'd love to be in the upper deck (and its' Y)!

MAR wrote some very clever and pertinent questions;

Some issues in my head:

MPQ is the youngest B744 in the fleet - logically should be the most prized aircraft for normal operation. Being the youngest equates to being the most efficient and costing the least for maintenance.

Charter business is 'seasonal' in nature, why not reconfigured older B744 which is the least desired for normal operation?

Being dedicated to only Charter operation, MPQ can expect its utilization rate to come spiraling down as most of the time it might be spending time on the ground rather than in the air.

Since MPQ has been designated for this purpose, can we conclude that MH will get rid of all the other older B744s by 2012 when all the A380s arrived or MPP will be retained to serve CPT-EZE?

MH will come up with new hardwares (new seats, new IFE etc) [? Although with no clear indication, MH is crazy if the current seats will be installed on the new aircrafts] for the new B738, A333 and A380 aircrafts that will start arriving this year. Does MAS Charter ok with operating older seats, older IFE, older everything then? Will it lead to product conflict? Or is there plan for MPQ to undergo another round of reconfiguration for the installation of new seats to match the future mainstream product?

# The choice of MPQ was circumstantial. Suffice to say that it has something to do with the differing Lease Terms and end-financing agreement for the older B744 in the MH fleet.

# The Haj is seasonal. The Umrah is all year round with peak and low periods.

# Being dedicated to Charter Department need not mean the aircraft will be used for purely for Charter Operations. There will be plans for tactical forays to tap periods of peak travel on International routes especially the ones the LCCs are operating on. The lower cost per seat cost will allow a ticket price target of 20% above LCC but with no other hidden cost.

# The drop in utilisation is expected for THIS aircraft, but the average utilisation across the B744 fleet will actually increase.

# The future plans for the B744 fleet are not for public consumption.

# Almost everything that has been installed in MPQ are excellently refurbished with great attention to detail. The RM6million spent also includes the 26 day downtime cost, manpower and facilities costs, and not just for hardware purchase.

# And the money will be recovered in just 1 Haj season. Hence, even after a two year period, the cost of another reconfiguration exercise if required by the aircraft end customer is more than covered. Besides, the window of operation for Haj Operations can only allow any aircraft to do 24 rotations per phase, and a bump in capacity by 95 seats means an extra 2400 pax can be carried.

# There will be product conflict only if we market it as a 5 star product, which the MasCharters is cognizant of, and for that reason we are not going to do that. If my plans are followed through, economy passengers can expect to pay a slightly higher price compared to the LCC, but enjoy all the trappings of a traditional airline.

# As for marketability, I am happy to say that 2/3 of aircraft time has already been presold for 2011. And that's for the first year of operations.

The romance in aviation is dying. The LCCs has expectedly transformed the landscape and killed of the need for romance and luxury in air travel for most people. In a few years from now even the IFE in the aircraft will be not as popular as a powerpoint on every seat as everyone has a laptop full of movies, Mp3 players, PsP, Nintendos, Ipad and its competitive counterparts....

A large majority just wants to travel as fast and as cheaply as possible. While we know this market segment is willing to be treated less than averagely, there is also a large portion that wouldn't mind paying a bit more for better service, departure and arrivals using aerobridges, guaranteed schedule integrity, and flying with an airline that is not too calculative.

I have my wish list. One of it that I can share is that the B777-300 purchased second hand would be ideal as it offers close to B747 range and pax capacity but with a fuel burn of 40% less. Then the ability to market our products independently. And removal of embedded costs. And plenty more wish lists too numerous to list here, most of which are obvious and simple, some a little complicated, the rest almost a pipe dream.

In a large corporation, when plans like this fail, its one person's fault, if it succeeds, then its the corporation's success.

So cheers and wish this venture luck.

There seem to be no room for reclining for the seats against the wall. Those are definitely the seats to be avoided.

Yup, especially the blue seats shown in pic - can't imagine what it will be like to be stuck in one of the middle ones for long haul :blink:

But the new biegey/brown seat covers (are they new ?) are quite refreshing

Good luck to you Capt Nik and your team. Wishing you all the very best. :drinks:

One thing strucks me is MH still have those old seat fabric. They could at least design a new fabric/pattern for the charter. It doesn't have to be too flashy, but just make it simple and modern :)

One thing strucks me is MH still have those old seat fabric. They could at least design a new fabric/pattern for the charter. It doesn't have to be too flashy, but just make it simple and modern :)

I beg to differ - last time they tried that we end up nowadays with the smarties/m&m's themed ambience :p

Edited by BC Tam

Yup, especially the blue seats shown in pic - can't imagine what it will be like to be stuck in one of the middle ones for long haul :blink:

But the new biegey/brown seat covers (are they new ?) are quite refreshing

True. But that's spotting the negative. What is not shown are the EY seats that has the most generous legroom, surpassing even the First Class. These seats will be coveted. <_>

Some see it as half full, others, half empty.

The seat material is new, but the design and color are old. And we shot down any moves to go the MnM's way.

Edited by Nik H.

I have my wish list. One of it that I can share is that the B777-300 purchased second hand would be ideal as it offers close to B747 range and pax capacity but with a fuel burn of 40% less. Then the ability to market our products independently. And removal of embedded costs. And plenty more wish lists too numerous to list here, most of which are obvious and simple, some a little complicated, the rest almost a pipe dream.

Thanks Capt Nik, for allowing MWings privileged access to this momentous occasion.

If you are able to achieve this wish of purchasing a second hand B777-300, wouldn't it be a challenge to maintain the aircraft in house as you do not have any in the MH fleet currently. Moreover, the GE engines will require different maintenance compared to the RR's on the B777-200. So the fuel burn savings may not be as high after taking into account of the additional costs of ownership, unless you plan high aircraft utilisation.

Yes, it would be good if you can have independent marketing so that you can establish your own branding for this unique product.

..... the EY seats that has the most generous legroom, surpassing even the First Class. These seats will be coveted. <_>

Surely not the ones shown in MAR's reply above :D

Perhaps those in uncle Norman's third pic from top (reply #26) ? :)

..... And we shot down any moves to go the MnM's way.

Many thanks for that dose of common sense :lol:

Edited by BC Tam

Front office still remain as original.... :p

Hajj-8000.jpg

Great coverage Norman, and thanks for posting the pix up so quickly!

Did anyone else from MWings attend this event?

If you are able to achieve this wish of purchasing a second hand B777-300, wouldn't it be a challenge to maintain the aircraft in house as you do not have any in the MH fleet currently. Moreover, the GE engines will require different maintenance compared to the RR's on the B777-200. So the fuel burn savings may not be as high after taking into account of the additional costs of ownership, unless you plan high aircraft utilisation.

Maybe he's talking about the non-ER version equipped with RR engines?

Separately, I noticed the PTVs for u/deck Y seats are slightly different (beige vs. grey?) from those on the original Y seats. Sourced separately?

Well then I guess this just means that MH just has to get new 77W's so it can save on overhead and variables :D

Congratulations and I really appreciate you sharing all this on these forums, Capt Nik :drinks:

Maybe he's talking about the non-ER version equipped with RR engines?

Possibly. However a quick check on Wiki states that 773's range is 11,400 km while 747 (non-ER) is 13,450 km. 77W has about the same range as 747-400ER which is about 14,600 km.

Edited by jani

Surely not the ones shown in MAR's reply above :D

Perhaps those in uncle Norman's third pic from top (reply #26) ? :)

Many thanks for that dose of common sense :lol:

Probably these seats, which I missed the opportunity to shoot

due to the crowds (& excitement...) :sorry:

Hajj-8006.jpg

btw... The rear seats (row 18?) recline to about the same as some LCC's A320

I did post a photo of the seat reclined position in post #26 above

and comparatively with the front seat reclined...

In a large corporation, when plans like this fail, its one person's fault, if it succeeds, then its the corporation's success.

If given a free hand, fairly certain your plan will be successful.

Good Luck!

MAR wrote some very clever and pertinent questions; So cheers and wish this venture luck.

Thank you Capt. Nik for taking the time to answer my queries in great length and I wish you the best of luck.

First flight for 9M-MPQ will be MH8000 departing KLIA 1115hrs, Saturday, 9th October 2010, heading for Madinah.

I want to thank members of this Forum for all the good wishes posted. I also want to thank the Forummers who have not only commented but accompanied their post with useful information and suggestions.

Some of you guys really know what you're talking about. I am truly humbled by your intellect. Keep it up. Being inside there will be occasions we inadvertently look at colors with our tinted glasses on.

That's when you guys from the outside can help with your differing perspective.

Cheers.....from MasCharters

Hajj-8022.jpg

Edited by Nik H.

October 9th 2010. The Hajj started with Saudia A330, while MPQ parked at the remote bay, waiting to be towed to bay B2 for the first Hajj flight.

TCOCC_hajj.jpg

....and guess what? TC-OCC has been around before, as MKY in Subang International and as MKS in more recent time.

Edited by Radzi

How I wish they would operate a schedule passenger operation from KUL-KCH and THEN Hajj flight to JED so that I can catch the flight on the KUL-KCH sector...too bad it's only a ferry flight! I would do almost anything to fly economy on the upper deck! Drool!

Yeah... weird to see SV livery on an A330... Well, probably I used to see them on the biggies :p

Best of luck Capt Nik!!