MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

I found this somewhat interesting piece of news. I hope these airlines mentioned will eventually start their scheduled flights to Sabah & Sarawak very soon.

5 airlines keen to fly to Sabah, Sarawak

FIVE international airlines have shown interest in having scheduled direct flights to Sabah and Sarawak, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha. The five are Air Busan and Jin Air from South Korea, China Eastern (China), Kalstar (Indonesia) and South East Asian Airlines (the Philippines). The companies, he said, must fulfil certain criteria before approval is given by the government, he said to a question by Datuk Sapawi Ahmad (BN - Sipitang). Kong said seven foreign airlines currently provided direct flights to Sabah and four to Sarawak.

Source:

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/5-airlines-keen-to-fly-to-sabah-sarawak-1.66987

I thought Kalstar already serve Kuching from Pontianak and SEA will soon serve BKI from the Philippines? So, real new comer might only be counted to 3....

So now Indonesia has LION & TIGER ! :lol:

NICE!

Jin Air and China Eastern came and went...

I thought Kalstar already serve Kuching from Pontianak and SEA will soon serve BKI from the Philippines? So, real new comer might only be counted to 3....

NICE!

I read somewhere at indoflyer or Kompas.com, that Kalstar is keen on launching Balikpapan - BKI (and BPN-KUL), so I guess Kalstar is a newcomer to BKI (if the flight materialised). Jin Air is currently offered scheduled charter flights to BKI, it would be interesting to see them offering scheduled flights eventually, competing with the likes of KE, OZ and Eastar Jet, (and i seriously hope that KE won't withdraw from BKI). I think it would be best for Air Busan to launch flights to BKI from other ports (Busan or Gimpo), coz I don't think BKI-Incheon can sustain 5 airlines. Let's see how they go. Anyone knows if Mandarin Airlines still serving BKI?

Cebu Pacific is currently in the process of serving MNL-KCH. I hope SEAir will follow suit. Not sure whether there are demands for Incheon-KCH, MAS used to fly KCH-SEOUL in the nineties with DC10 or A300 if i'm not mistaken.

5 airlines keen to fly to Sabah, Sarawak

The article is dated 28 Mar 2012, wonder when the minister uttered those words ?

If it was recent, then blur Kong deserves all he gets :)

(and i seriously hope that KE won't withdraw from BKI)

..... in vain, I understand with dismay :(

..... coz I don't think BKI-Incheon can sustain 5 airlines

It will look ridiculously embarassing if you have five Korean carriers running the route versus none Malaysian :D

From the other thread somewhere I thought I read KE is now on charter, maybe returning during winter season in Korea only. Mandarin was offering charter also last time.

Edited by Waiping

Indonesia also has Garuda and the more docile Merpati.

And not long ago, also Buraq

Dont forget about Jatayu and Sempati as well. According to Hindu theology, Jatayu and Sempati are sons of Aruna (Garuda's brother) so both of them are nephew to Garuda.

I read somewhere at indoflyer or Kompas.com, that Kalstar is keen on launching Balikpapan - BKI (and BPN-KUL), so I guess Kalstar is a newcomer to BKI (if the flight materialised). Jin Air is currently offered scheduled charter flights to BKI, it would be interesting to see them offering scheduled flights eventually, competing with the likes of KE, OZ and Eastar Jet, (and i seriously hope that KE won't withdraw from BKI). I think it would be best for Air Busan to launch flights to BKI from other ports (Busan or Gimpo), coz I don't think BKI-Incheon can sustain 5 airlines. Let's see how they go. Anyone knows if Mandarin Airlines still serving BKI?

Cebu Pacific is currently in the process of serving MNL-KCH. I hope SEAir will follow suit. Not sure whether there are demands for Incheon-KCH, MAS used to fly KCH-SEOUL in the nineties with DC10 or A300 if i'm not mistaken.

After MH terminated the KCH-GMP, ZE had for a while used the 736 to KCH before terminating, an unfortunate drowning incident happened to one of their passengers in Damai. Then there was a short revival of MH's 738 KCH-BKI-ICN which did not last very long.

I think KCH is better off having direct (but chartered ) services to FOC, SWA and TPE...

Jin Air is currently offered scheduled charter flights to BKI,

No. They don't anymore.

Jin Air is currently offered scheduled charter flights to BKI, it would be interesting to see them offering scheduled flights eventually, competing with the likes of KE, OZ and Eastar Jet, (and i seriously hope that KE won't withdraw from BKI).

KE has completely withdrawn from BKI. They have also taken BKI off their timetable city list. So basically, this leaves only OZ and ZE Jet serving ICN/BKI.

I think it would be best for Air Busan to launch flights to BKI from other ports (Busan or Gimpo), coz I don't think BKI-Incheon can sustain 5 airlines. Let's see how they go.

Currently there are only two airlines serving ICN/BKI.

Air Busan is the subsidiary of Asiana Airlines. If they ever commence service to BKI, it will most likely to be from PUS, not ICN or GMP. International flights from GMP as i understand, need special approval from the government. So i think the chance of an airline flying between BKI/GMP is very slim. They haven't even got the green light to commence flights between GMP/TSA yet.

From the other thread somewhere I thought I read KE is now on charter, maybe returning during winter season in Korea only. Mandarin was offering charter also last time.

Not even charter now unfortunately, not until any local or Korean travel agencies or any other big insurance/direct selling companies in South Korea decide to charter a Korean Air plane to BKI again.

No. They don't anymore.

KE has completely withdrawn from BKI. They have also taken BKI off their timetable city list. So basically, this leaves only OZ and ZE Jet serving ICN/BKI.

Currently there are only two airlines serving ICN/BKI.

Air Busan is the subsidiary of Asiana Airlines. If they ever commence service to BKI, it will most likely to be from PUS, not ICN or GMP. International flights from GMP as i understand, need special approval from the government. So i think the chance of an airline flying between BKI/GMP is very slim. They haven't even got the green light to commence flights between GMP/TSA yet.

Not even charter now unfortunately, not until any local or Korean travel agencies or any other big insurance/direct selling companies in South Korea decide to charter a Korean Air plane to BKI again.

So KE is finally gone from BKI, no wonder I couldn't find BKI in their timetable. :bad: Hopefully Jin Air will fill the void very soon.

Another good news for KLIA . AirPhil Express will launch MNL - KUL starting June 21st with 3 flights a week. No official announcement yet but they have loaded KUL in their schedule and open for reservations. Read somewhere that AirPhil Express also keen on launching CEB-KUL. Still waiting for Zest, SEAir and PQ to make their moves.

KE has completely withdrawn from BKI

That being the case, it's strange they (KE) recently took up that huge advertising board at traffic roundabout in front of Wisma Perindustrian in Likas :)

Still doesn't beat the MH advert at Lintas though (in the out of date info category) :D

Another good news for KLIA . AirPhil Express will launch MNL - KUL starting June 21st with 3 flights a week. No official announcement yet but they have loaded KUL in their schedule and open for reservations. Read somewhere that AirPhil Express also keen on launching CEB-KUL. Still waiting for Zest, SEAir and PQ to make their moves.

what is PQ?

That being the case, it's strange they (KE) recently took up that huge advertising board at traffic roundabout in front of Wisma Perindustrian in Likas :)

Yeah, the billboard is very new. Perhaps they will come back... the airport office is still there too and the manager is a Korean. Well, i certainly hope so :)

Still doesn't beat the MH advert at Lintas though (in the out of date info category) :D

LOL. Yeah. It still says it flies to Seoul, Tokyo and i think Guangzhou also ??

Anyway, Silkair/Singapore Airlines recently changed their billboard in Lido.

Yeah, the billboard is very new. Perhaps they will come back... the airport office is still there too and the manager is a Korean. Well, i certainly hope so :)

It's not the billboard they move from near airport, opposite the railway station?

LOL. Yeah. It still says it flies to Seoul, Tokyo and i think Guangzhou also ??

Yes, I past by just now and wanted to take a photo but it didn't turn out well. Tokyo, Seoul and Guangzhou down. Left Taipei, Singapore, plus another I can't remember.

So KE is finally gone from BKI, no wonder I couldn't find BKI in their timetable. :bad: Hopefully Jin Air will fill the void very soon.

KE will resume their route from Seoul to BKI at 2 july saw this at Malaysia Airlines timetable

It's not the billboard they move from near airport, opposite the railway station?

Not sure but it does look similar...

KE will resume their route from Seoul to BKI at 2 july saw this at Malaysia Airlines timetable

No. Not anymore. They were supposed to resume the flight between ICN/BKI in July and August with 4 flights a week but this is canceled too.

Uzbekistan Airways will increase frequencies to 6 times per week from November 2012

By Agha Iqrar Haroon, Former Consultant, Ministry of Tourism, Government of Pakistan | Mar 06, 2012

(eTN) - Uzbekistan Airways will increase flights to Malaysia. Uzbekistan's national air carrier said it would ramp up its flight frequency with the Malaysian capital city to five times a week, from three currently.

Uzbekistan Airways’ Commercial Director, Erkin Ubaidullaev, said the two extra flights between the Uzbek capital Tashkent and Kuala Lumpur would be added from the end of next month.

The country's flag carrier will add yet another flight in November 2012.

"We expect that in November, when we introduce six flights per week, there will be more tourists going to Kuala Lumpur," the Malaysian-based Business Times news agency reported the airline director as saying.

Uzbek citizens outnumber Malaysians as passengers, with most flying to the Malay capital of Kuala Lumpur between November and March.

"We just started our [tour promotion to Uzbekistan] among Malaysians a few years ago. I hope within one year, we can build [an] even larger interest among Malaysians," Ubaidullaev said.

The airline company recently purchased four Boeing 767 aircraft to handle the increase in frequency.

The flight takes seven hours.

Source: The Region Initiative (TRI)

Uzbek citizens outnumber Malaysians as passengers, with most flying to the Malay capital of Kuala Lumpur between November and March.... confusing...

Uzbek citizens outnumber Malaysians as passengers, with most flying to the Malay capital of Kuala Lumpur between November and March.... confusing...

its meant, most of the Uzbekiztan airways flights between Tashkent-KL vv the majority of passengers are Uzbekistan nationality....