MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

Not sure yet, but good chance aerobridge will be in use in KUL. The way the MTB is build, there is no practical way not to use the aerobridge unless remote bay is used. And remote bay most likely require buses, which makes it highly impractical.

Yes, they will be using aerobridge

Not sure yet, but good chance aerobridge will be in use in KUL. The way the MTB is build, there is no practical way not to use the aerobridge unless remote bay is used. And remote bay most likely require buses, which makes it highly impractical.

When AirAsia used to MTB, they also used aerobridges. So Firefly would probably do the same. Agree that the terminal design is for the aerobridge to be used.

Thanks guys! I called up customer service and they told me that passengers were required to climb a flight of stairs. They are probably not too sure about the operations for flights from KUL for now.

Happy to see firefly moving in teh right directiond with NG aircraft,albeit low specs for weight saving. Away from the 737 400's

MH can adopt SQ/MI type codeshare, like when I booked AKL/SIN/KUL the SIN/KUL sector was on MI although I paid for SQ. But there was also a choice oin that sector for SQ flight but because of the timing of the SQ flight to KUL the MI one was way more convinient.

Edited by jadivindra

Happy to see firefly moving in teh right directiond with NG aircraft,albeit low specs for weight saving. Away from the 737 400's

MH can adopt SQ/MI type codeshare, like when I booked AKL/SIN/KUL the SIN/KUL sector was on MI although I paid for SQ. But there was also a choice oin that sector for SQ flight but because of the timing of the SQ flight to KUL the MI one was way more convinient.

But MI is not an LCC, comfort is ok and food is provided on most flights. If I paid for MAS and ended up squashed into a seat in FY then I wouldnt be happy

But MI is not an LCC, comfort is ok and food is provided on most flights. If I paid for MAS and ended up squashed into a seat in FY then I wouldnt be happy

What makes you think you can pay for MH and get FY? I don't see that happening except for some abnormal circumstances such as aircraft AOG, major delays or something of that nature.

I've just done a quick check on the FY promo for KCH-KUL flight; looks like they also offering Premium seats and also seat selection as well.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

I really like this idea that's forming between MH and FY. They should model themselves after QF and JQ. Both JQ and QF code-share on some domestic flights but mostly on international flights. I think almost all of JQ's international operations are code-shared with QF. This would be a good idea for MH to code-share on FY flights to secondary international destinations.

I've just done a quick check on the FY promo for KCH-KUL flight; looks like they also offering Premium seats and also seat selection as well.

premium service i presume. i bought standard service but i can chose seat 2F, the premium seat, extra legroom

premium service i presume. i bought standard service but i can chose seat 2F, the premium seat, extra legroom

Was checking out FY online booking engine this morning. Standard service means no meal or free luggage allowance etc. And if you want to reserve your choice of seat in advance, you'll have to pay RM5 or RM25 depending on the seat chosen. They do it like pay-per-view ala Air Asia.

By the way, does seat 2F features extra legroom ? Is that a bulkhead seat ? Because i think in this 738, only the two rows of seats in the emergency exits and bulkhead seats have extra legroom.

Was checking out FY online booking engine this morning. Standard service means no meal or free luggage allowance etc. And if you want to reserve your choice of seat in advance, you'll have to pay RM5 or RM25 depending on the seat chosen. They do it like pay-per-view ala Air Asia.

By the way, does seat 2F features extra legroom ? Is that a bulkhead seat ? Because i think in this 738, only the two rows of seats in the emergency exits and bulkhead seats have extra legroom.

The standard set of service (+RM30) it is including meal, free baggage allowance and u able to choose your prefer seat but if you choose Normal service (just only pay fare + tax).

Standard MYR30*

Preferred seat selection

Meal + 1 bottled water (350ml)

1pc checked-in baggage max 15kg

Extra 5kg baggage allowance

+ MYR30* for Premium

Preferred seat selection

Meal + 1 bottled water (350ml)

1pc checked-in baggage max 15kg

Extra 5kg baggage allowance

Priority Baggage Arrival

Flight Date change (1x)

* Price per person, per sector.

You could either get the frills ala carte, get the RM30 standard package frills (seats, meals, baggage) or the premium package at RM60. (gives u the frills of STD package plus date change flexibility and priority baggage delivery on arrival).

Since FY's 738s are hi-dense configured with 189 Y seats, bulkhead seats are 1ABC and 2DEF. There's no 1DEF.

BUT interestingly, today FY has introduced an admin fee of RM26!! This is in addition to the normal MAB airport tax. A sudden turnaround. A mistake?

BUT interestingly, today FY has introduced an admin fee of RM26!! This is in addition to the normal MAB airport tax. A sudden turnaround. A mistake?

I just finished reading a FY report from an investment bank dated 9 November 2010 and with regards to this RM 26 admin fee, it seems like a fixed feature to any airlines operating in the domestic sector in KUL (meaning MH also has this fee in its fares) as mentioned in this comparison table between FY and AK:

FYFees.jpg

In the same report, FY's future fleet is also being mentioned in detailed.

FYFleet.jpg

The analyst with this investment house is quite skeptical about the future of domestic market in Malaysia citing the market is not too big enough for everyone and that having 3 main players in the scene (MH, AK and FY) would end up killing one of the airline - all fingers are pointing towards MH.

Having said that, the analyst is confident towards FY's future, citing:

AirAsia cheaper, but Firefly gives perks. Overall, AirAsia is cheaper. But we think Firefly wins on a value proposition basis for the average passenger – Firefly provides some light snacks and 20 kg baggage allowance free of charge.

KLIA is preferred terminal over LCCT. We made an internal survey (270 staff participated) with regards to which airport terminal they prefer – KLIA main terminal or LCCT? KLIA is found to be overwhelmingly popular with 91% of the votes. People love the spaciousness, ERL connectivity, and aerobridge linkage at KLIA – no longer the fear to walk under hot sun or rain at the LCCT.

KLIA premium may offset higher cost. We discovered that a majority of people (66%) who prefer to fly out from KLIA are willing to pay premium, mostly at RM10-20 more. This is sufficient to bridge the cost gap between AirAsia and Firefly, and thus neutralising AirAsia’s cost advantage. Assuming this survey is reflective of the general population, Firefly could potentially put up a good fight against AirAsia despite having a higher cost per seat.

The fine touches will be the deciding factor. Consumers will be spoilt for choice. Both airlines will try to outdo each other with attractive prices and on customer service delivery. Malaysian air travelers will never get it better than this.

What makes you think you can pay for MH and get FY? I don't see that happening except for some abnormal circumstances such as aircraft AOG, major delays or something of that nature.

Capt, was responding to the previous op who suggested that FY could "MH can adopt SQ/MI type codeshare"

I just finished reading a FY report from an investment bank dated 9 November 2010 and with regards to this RM 26 admin fee, it seems like a fixed feature to any airlines operating in the domestic sector in KUL (meaning MH also has this fee in its fares) as mentioned in this comparison table between FY and AK:

FY publicised to the world that it is offering a RM9 all in fare (RM0.01 + 8.99 airport tax) during the promo period starting from 8-Nov. This means no admin fee, and there wasn't.... until 1 day later! It seems that FY messed up, as there can never be an all in fare of RM9 during the promo period if admin fees suddenly appear on day 2.

On the analyst's report - most of the data on fees are based on the pre-existing FY operating model. Furthermore, the analyst loses a lot of credibility when he creates his own aircraft (ATR75) and seems confused between a 734 and a 738, and between a terminal and an airport ("KLIA is preferred terminal over LCCT") in the very same report.

Edited by Mushrif A

Wish to book inaugural flight to KCH and return, as today the price already jump to MYR68.95 + MYR35.00 + RM30 per sector per person...

So round trip already cost me MYR267.90... <_>

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

Wish to book inaugural flight to KCH and return, as today the price already jump to MYR68.95 + MYR35.00 per sector per person...

So round trip already cost me MYR267.90... <_>

Luckly I booked inaugural flight KUL-KCH on first day, cost me RM78 for round trip. Ashmil, see u onboard with another two MSwingers member :D

Just for the record - you can delete the RM 30 Standard Package by clicking on the "No Thanks" text link.

However, like all LCCs, they make the option so small and insignificant compared to "Upgrade to Premium"... :finger:

FY-KCHOffer.gif

When was the screenshot taken? How come there's no admin charges as the tax/fees is only RM8.99. I tried a mock booking today and I was only charged the admin fee for one way only. Is the admin fee for certain flights only?