MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MASkargo eyes bigger freighters next year

Looks nice but not sure all that white will look so good after a few months in service.

Anyone know the delivery schedule for the rest of the MASkargo aircraft?

Geoff

Looks nice but not sure all that white will look so good after a few months in service.

Geoff

The 2nd one is tentatively scheduled for December, and the other two next year.

White colour may be good. Not only it could save the cost of painting but also it's lighter and therefore burn lesser fuel. An A332 freighter? I guess only for those really short haul destinations.

Edited by Mike P

White colour may be good. Not only it could save the cost of painting but also it's lighter and therefore burn lesser fuel. An A332 freighter? I guess only for those really short haul destinations.

If MH really needs B737 freighters, it would be cheaper to convert some of the old B734s.

If MH really needs B737 freighters, it would be cheaper to convert some of the old B734s.

The A332F are for the intra-Asian region. There's demand in cargo, but not enough to warrant a 747.

As for 737F, they did have the 733F back in the 1990s.

0026362.jpg

Boeing 737-3H6(F)

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I suppose the reason of not using the old aircraft is because of the fuel burn is much higher.

It is the TCO that matters - capital costs plus operating costs. If MH buys new planes, they need to be financed and they have to make payments for them each month in addition to the fuel costs. Most airlines state that fuel costs make up about 30-40% of the total costs.

MH can buy the B734s cheaply off PMB and the cost of conversion is probably not going to be as much as buying a new aircraft. That is why cargo carriers like FedEx have a huge fleet of ancient planes - TCO is still lower than new ones. Whatever new planes they have ordered will probably be operated for a long, long time to make the economics work.

MH can buy the B734s cheaply off PMB and the cost of conversion is probably not going to be as much as buying a new aircraft. That is why cargo carriers like FedEx have a huge fleet of ancient planes - TCO is still lower than new ones

Which then begs the question as to why MH could not have roped in those soon to be retired 734/330/744, in any combination, for her cargo operations, instead of opting for the new 332F's and leased in birds :)

Lack of inter-departmental coordination perhaps ? :pardon:

Which then begs the question as to why MH could not have roped in those soon to be retired 734/330/744, in any combination, for her cargo operations, instead of opting for the new 332F's and leased in birds :)

Lack of inter-departmental coordination perhaps ? :pardon:

1. There's no cargo conversion program for the A330. Besides, the passenger version of the A330 makes a lousy cargo plane since on the ground the plane is not level due to the short nose landing gear, which is why the A332F had that bulge.

2. They need the capacity afforded to them by the A332F for intra-Asian flights where demand is high but not high enough to warrant a 744F flight. It's a waste of resources to send 2 734BCF to do a job that one A332F can do.

3. 744BCFs could replace the leased 742s, but if it costs less to lease 744Fs (or even 777F - Southern Air's contract with TG for 777F has ended), might as well lease them. Though I think Southern Air's days are numbered.

It is the TCO that matters - capital costs plus operating costs. If MH buys new planes, they need to be financed and they have to make payments for them each month in addition to the fuel costs. Most airlines state that fuel costs make up about 30-40% of the total costs.

MH can buy the B734s cheaply off PMB and the cost of conversion is probably not going to be as much as buying a new aircraft. That is why cargo carriers like FedEx have a huge fleet of ancient planes - TCO is still lower than new ones. Whatever new planes they have ordered will probably be operated for a long, long time to make the economics work.

Good for short terms but may not good for long terms. Judging at MH's current finance status, probably option one is better.

Geoff

Rumoured that the first A332F for MASkargo might be delivered on 15th September 2011

9M-MUA

150911 MH5422 TLS-AMS

160911 MH6125 AMS-SHJ-KUL

From their website:

maskargo-1.jpg

Edited by MIR

The air freight market is recovering - I wonder if MASkargo will re-activate its B744Fs, if demand reaches a sufficient level.

The air freight market is recovering - I wonder if MASkargo will re-activate its B744Fs, if demand reaches a sufficient level.

Previously, a large proportion of cargo was carried under belly. With limited network and widebody, doubt mas kargo could justify b744f at mh current fleet and network size.

Aren't -MPR and S parked in a derelict state at KLIA? Seem to remember one was sitting engineless and the other listing over to one side, looked very sad.

I'm surprised they haven't been able to sell these, if that is MAB's intention to dispose of them.

Aren't -MPR and S parked in a derelict state at KLIA? Seem to remember one was sitting engineless and the other listing over to one side, looked very sad.

I'm surprised they haven't been able to sell these, if that is MAB's intention to dispose of them.

Wouldn't Air Atlanta Icelandic or Kalitta Air be keen to get hold of them?

Was hoping for the 747-8F orders!!

What about the A332Fs, are they still active?

I think you are (wildly) assuming any 747s parked near the hangars to be MPR and MPS ...

This shot was from last Thursday (5 Oct 2017) evening. 1x MH74F parked in front of hangar with 1 missing engine and another inside hangar.

HfqFRKJ.jpg

Wouldn't Air Atlanta Icelandic or Kalitta Air be keen to get hold of them?

Was hoping for the 747-8F orders!!

What about the A332Fs, are they still active?

A332F still active MUA just got a brand new mascargo paint coat. I supposed all 3 will get the new paint scheme. MUD just came back from CGP doing charity / relief flight for the rakhine state. Edited by wee c k