MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

AirAsia X to offer lie-flat beds as competition hots up

AirAsia X to offer lie-flat beds as competition hots up

Michael Bruce

AirAsia X will strip out its premium economy seats and install lie-flat business class beds in what is likely to see an escalation in competition on routes between Australia and Malaysia , Travel Today can reveal.

The carrier’s chief executive Azran Osman-Rani said the seats on its A330s will be replaced with a better product, with economy class also to be overhauled.

The move will see the 28 ‘XL’ seats replaced by 12 business class lie-flat beds

“We’ll start stripping them out one by one from the end of January through to July,” Osman-Rani said.

Economy class will also see some minor tweaks, with seats widened by half an inch. But the way the reconfiguration will take place will see capacity remain at 383, Osman-Rani said.

But in a blow for the carrier, the new A330 slated for delivery later this year will not be reconfigured. “We will have to change it again next year,” Osman-Rani said.

The move to lie-flat beds follows poor sales of AirAsia X’s premium economy seats. Priced roughly the same as full service carrier’s economy seats, they have failed to stir the market with the airline hoping lie-flat beds will provide a major point of different. They are expected to be priced in line with competitor’s premium economy product.

The airline is using the experience and expertise of Virgin, a 20 per cent stakeholder in AirAsia, to develop the cabin.

Meanwhile, Osman-Rani also confirmed the carrier will introduce through-baggage check at Kuala Lumpur for Australians travelling on to London.

“The price will be very reasonable,” he added.

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/articles/6b/0c06196b.asp

But the way the reconfiguration will take place will see capacity remain at 383, Osman-Rani said.

How so ? Are they going to reduce the seat pitch in EY from the current 31" to 29" ? Because i think this is the only way so the seat capacity will remain at 383.

Is Jetstar's BKI - PER can also check-thru luggage?

Same question here. How are they going to increase the width but maintain the capacity. Win some lose some?

Same question here. How are they going to increase the width but maintain the capacity. Win some lose some?

They are not only going to increase the seat width but the seat pitch as well. Currently, there are 4 rows of XL seats on their Rolls-Royce powered 333 in 2-3-2 abreast. Assume that each row has 38" of pitch, 4x38=152. Most lie-flat Business Class seat in the market have between 55"-65" of pitch. Assume that the Air Asia's version will only be featuring 55" of pitch, they will be able to add one more row of EY seats without compromising the overall seat pitch in the EY cabin. But they are still 7 EY seats short after adding one more row of EY seats. May be D7 is going to take out some bulkhead storage, lavatories or make the current galley smaller etc.

Edited by Isaac

After check through luggage, believe D7 will include meal in ticket price. However, pax will still need to pay for extra drink and movie.

Eagerly waiting for the new 333 seat plan; wonder how they perform the magic to maintain the same number of EY seats while reducing to 8 abreast.

:drinks:

Maybe bunk bed. Fly AK, stay backpackers. :p

Eagerly waiting for the new 333 seat plan; wonder how they perform the magic to maintain the same number of EY seats while reducing to 8 abreast.

They didn't say they are going to reconfigure it into 8 abreast. Believe the wider seat width can be achieved with smaller armrest. The seat configuration for EY will remain at 9 abreast.

Maybe something called the herringbone configuration :rolleyes: <_>

Believe they will go with a more straightforward 2-2-2 configuration in two rows. Herringbone configuration will take up a lot of space and not cost effective at all.

They didn't say they are going to reconfigure it into 8 abreast. Believe the wider seat width can be achieved with smaller armrest.

*snip*

Noooooo~~~~ If they are going to use smaller armrests, they might as well just remove them! :mellow:

Or something like Thompson Solution's Cozy Suite aka zig-zag seats?

(Very unlikely though...That's not ready until at least 2010)

I think its a wise move and all is done in anticipation of the new LCCT.

I reckon Air Asia is currently loosing out primarily due to the shabby low cost terminal and the lack of good public transportation system such as ERL.

Once the new LCCT is ready, Air Asia can be a major player in the "premium" market. I think their new strategy will work with the proposed facilities in the new LCCT.

MH better watch out and start their strategy. Can you imagine seeing AK's new lie-flat beds along side MH shocking-red, 80's inspired business product in their A330?

God forbids!

Very valid postulation ! :)

When Virgin Atlantic started off all those years ago, backpackers were their focus

Look where they are now

And Sir RB being the common denominator between Virgin and AK-X ............ :)

Take out the toilets ?? :blink: :blink:

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Guest JT Wings

Hi Guys,

lets hear it from the man himself ...

Azran sent you a message.

--------------------

Re: flat bed

Thanks Jack. Maybe you can mention that our new seat configuration does not actually result in shortening the seat pitch to less than 31".

Its simple.

New Flat beds are 2-2-2 but reduced to only 2 rows. They have 60" pitch.

Previously we have 4 rows of 2-3-2 38" pitch premium economy (4 x 38" = 152")

With only 2 rows of 60", there is 32" left for an additional row of economy seats. Still 3-3-3 - so that's nine extra seats.

Plus currently, each economy seat section, in the first row, has a middle seat that is not used because its too narrow (because both IFE and seat tray are installed). But new seat design, we no longer have this problem, so we can 'capture back' 9 seats at the same seat width as other seats.

--------------------

Hi Guys,

lets hear it from the man himself ...

Azran sent you a message.

--------------------

Re: flat bed

Thanks Jack. Maybe you can mention that our new seat configuration does not actually result in shortening the seat pitch to less than 31".

Its simple.

New Flat beds are 2-2-2 but reduced to only 2 rows. They have 60" pitch.

Previously we have 4 rows of 2-3-2 38" pitch premium economy (4 x 38" = 152")

With only 2 rows of 60", there is 32" left for an additional row of economy seats. Still 3-3-3 - so that's nine extra seats.

Plus currently, each economy seat section, in the first row, has a middle seat that is not used because its too narrow (because both IFE and seat tray are installed). But new seat design, we no longer have this problem, so we can 'capture back' 9 seats at the same seat width as other seats.

--------------------

Dearest AAX CEO,

Personally I find all your Economy seats to be too narrow even for my skinny bottom.

Cheerios! :p

...and people said AirAsia X would never work! They're always at the forefront of updates, good on them!

eh.. the report says that they have to do this because of "poor sales"...

Guest JT Wings

hi guys,

i m new here... i try dig more news from azran if possible pic first hand hehe

Dearest AAX CEO,

Personally I find all your Economy seats to be too narrow even for my skinny bottom.

Cheerios! :p

They will say that if it is not comfortable, buy the XL seats. But to me, people are only prepared to tolerate a certain level of discomfort for reduced ticket prices. Remember, D7 flights are much longer than AK flights and by right, they should offer a better level of comfort than the A320's. However, I think that currently the reverse is true - I'd rather fly on AK than D7 because I can get comfortable on AK whereas on D7 it is hard to find a comfortable seating position on those 3-3-3 seats...

people are only prepared to tolerate a certain level of discomfort for reduced ticket prices.

Thank God we have airlines such as EK and QR around. As well as MH, SQ, TG and CX that occasionally offer cheap tickets to Australia, North Asia, Europe and US.

eh.. the report says that they have to do this because of "poor sales"...

Which is good isn't it, because they don't cover the actual thing with some bullsh*t like the 'other' airline. Poor sales it was, so poor sales it will be reported in the media.

This remind me of the case about the complaint made by the disable guy who had to crawl down AK's aircraft in Vientiane, which was a huge news several months back, which had Datuk Tony himself offering his apology to the poor man. AK just said, 'We're sucks (while handling the matter) and we apologise for that' and the guy accepted their apologies due to the sincerity.

Sign in to follow this