MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

If Obama comes to Malaysia.....

Read this article a few days ago:

February 17, 2009 23:50 PM

PM To Invite Obama To Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 17 (Bernama) -- Malaysia wants to invite new United States president, Barrack Obama, to visit the country, said Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.

Through the visit, Obama can see for himself that Malaysia was a country of various races and religions which was peaceful, stable and practised democracy, he said.

"Such a visit will enhance understanding and boost bilateral relations between Malaysia and the US," Rais said in a written reply to Fong Kui Lun (DAP-Bukit Bintang) and Fong Po Kuan (DAP-Batu Gajah) who had asked if the government planned to invite Obama to make an official visit.

Rais said with the visit bilateral ties would remain strong in all aspects like trade, investment, education, science and technology, human resources development and information technology development.

-- BERNAMA

Just wonder, if President Obama comes to Malaysia, will he use SZB or KUL?

And if it is KUL, will it be possible to spot the Air Force one as well as the many supporting aircraft? Or will security be insanely tight that we can't even come close to the airport?

As a leader of the nation, they are free to invite leaders from other nation...but again what leader see is only the capital of Malaysia. Dont forget that the other part of the country is still far lacked behind in many terms....

Edited by Kenneth T

record your IC number, whoever step into sepang boundary. :p

No IC is useless as they can be bought easily.

IIRC, VP Al Gore came through KUL for APEC some years back and if I'm not mistaken, The Star did get a picture of 'Air Force 2' on the tarmac.

Secretary of State Collin Powelll used SZB (TUDM) the last time he dropped by.

I think a POTUS will use KLIA. You know, all the "kawad" (ceremonies) in front of Bunga Raya building.

IIRC, VP Al Gore came through KUL for APEC some years back and if I'm not mistaken, The Star did get a picture of 'Air Force 2' on the tarmac.

That was long before 9-11, a different millennium in fact. It was a long, long time ago, in a place far, far away....

Whether he should or would come is not the purpose of this thread. But if he comes, I'm sure we all will try for a shot of AF1.

I think a POTUS will use KLIA. You know, all the "kawad" (ceremonies) in front of Bunga Raya building.

That was long before 9-11, a different millennium in fact. It was a long, long time ago, in a place far, far away....

Whether he should or would come is not the purpose of this thread. But if he comes, I'm sure we all will try for a shot of AF1.

that is a must, Capt. its once in a lifetime experience if anyone is able to catch AF1 in KUL and better still if can get to see Mr President with one's own eye. but then again, it would be almost impossible to catch AF1 and its supporting a/c in KUL if Mr President really is coming to town. even on any ordinary day its tough enough to spot in KUL with Beredar & Bulis harassing spotters.

No doubt security will be tight.There was an article in the papers over the APEC visit where the Secret Service 'took over' security leading to the Bunga Raya complex from local authorities. Cars had mirrors shoved underneath etc (this was also done at KL Hilton at KL Sentral last time I went there!) NatGeo had a documentary on the AF1 where agents with huge binoculars and snipers everywhere followed wherever the commander-in-cheif went.

I've met a Secret Service agent once before and he was unassuming person...not the man-in-black type. So someone who is spotting next to spotters (when and if Obama comes) could be one of them!

Watched the Air Force One documentary at Nat. Geo. The security is very tight, couples of C-17 will be send in to set up stuffs and the landing/take off procedure will be taken over by the USAF obviously.

AIr force one lands in BWN before during the 2000 Apec and I think the plane parked in KK.

Secret Service practically took control the BWN tower (the old one back then) when the plane was landing/ taking off. The plane was parked at BKI T2 for "security" reasons (there probably wasn't enough dedicated tarmac at BWN just for AF1 & convoy, given all the other aircraft movements at that time).

AIr force one lands in BWN before during the 2000 Apec and I think the plane parked in KK.

Actually I caught it back then. It was an unforgettable sight. Here's my story (posted before)

http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index....st&p=148112

& the photo (using point & shoot film camera back then :D ):

AirForce1atWBKK.jpg

A US airforce B707 was also there then (see photo carefully), used by the Secretary of State.

It was callsigned 'Special Air Mission (SAM) 28000' since the President was not onboard. It'd be callsigned 'Air Force One' only when the President's onboard. Actually any fixed wing aircraft carrying the President will be callsigned 'Air Force One'.

Edited by Andi C

waaahhh...heard that during the OB's inauguration ceremony, there was a 5km SECURITY PERIMETER setup...level 1 security stuff I guess...so if OB comes to Malaysia...encik 'beredar' pun kena beredar jugak la nampaknya...wahahaaa...

spotters duduk tepi jalan lagi la jangan harap...but I guess anjung tinjau would be a good place isn't it...since its kinda close to BungaRaya...

President George Bush landed at Halim AFB in Jakarta and then flown on Blackhawk helicopter to Bogor to meet Presiden Susilo in 2006.

So any possibility of President Obama landing at SZB in Air Force One and then flying on Marine One (the new US version of Agusta Westland EH101) to Putrajaya?

Actually I caught it back then. It was an unforgettable sight. Here's my story (posted before)

http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index....st&p=148112

& the photo (using point & shoot film camera back then :D ):

AirForce1atWBKK.jpg

A US airforce B707 was also there then (see photo carefully), used by the Secretary of State.

It was callsigned 'Special Air Mission (SAM) 28000' since the President was not onboard. It'd be callsigned 'Air Force One' only when the President's onboard. Actually any fixed wing aircraft carrying the President will be callsigned 'Air Force One'.

That's a rare picture & a Marine point a gun at you? :blink: CRAZY!! I heard the US navy was all over the Brunei waters-and 3000 troops were stationed!!

Mushrif A Posted Today, 12:31 AM

QUOTE (zeqa @ Feb 22 2009, 01:06 AM)

Secret Service practically took control the BWN tower (the old one back then) when the plane was landing/ taking off. The plane was parked at BKI T2 for "security" reasons (there probably wasn't enough dedicated tarmac at BWN just for AF1 & convoy, given all the other aircraft movements at that time).

Oh..That's new to me. Never heard of that.

I still remember how the communications in Brunei down at that time. The US was controling the comunications at that time.

and the roads I heard they close the highway from airport to Empire Hotel for the clinton entourage and the tungku link highway if you know-- They simply use the opposite lane. :rolleyes:

Also my dad's friends who volunteered to be the Driver of the US delegates, The Secret service man ask him to drive to the local gym and instead of the local driver knowning the way, they(SECRET SERVICE) gave him instructions of which road to go. The secret service knew the Brunei road more than him :blink:

If AF1 comes to SZB, I cannot imagine photographers being allow to be anywhere so near to the fence. The chances of photographing it are probably higher if it comes to KLIA.

As internet sites are often monitored in one way or another, may I suggest that we use the word "to photograph it" instead of "to shoot it". That way we don't inadvertently raise alarm bells. Not that anyone has used it but just a precaution when a more definitive thread is eventually started when his hoped-for visit to KUL is confirmed.

Fantastic that AF1 was pohtographed in BKI - historically, it is important that pics of it in Malaysia already exist. Well done!!! Now if AF1 comes to KUL, I am certain all of us will have a great time ogling at the pictures produced by Mwing's prolific photographers and nothing less than a signature Azahan nose-shot is expected.

KC

Edited by KC Sim

In 1986 when Mrs Reagan came, they close the entire federal highway from Subang to Sri Perdana. Even the junction bridges. And they gradually open the highway once the entourage pass through. It was a sight to behold!!

For US interest and relationship in Asean, Malaysia is rank below Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines. Unless there is a regional summit e.g. APEC in the country, it is unlikely President Obama will visit Malaysia.

Further, diplomatic protocol call for our PM to visit Washington DC before US President can reciprocate.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

For US interest and relationship in Asean, Malaysia is rank below Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines. Unless there is a regional summit e.g. APEC in the country, it is unlikely President Obama will visit Malaysia.

Further, diplomatic protocol call for our PM to visit Washington DC before US President can reciprocate.

:drinks:

Yup. And in fact there's only been ONE US President who had visited Malaysia. Lyndon Johnson, way back in the Sixties. Because of him Felda LBJ got its name.

Yup. And in fact there's only been ONE US President who had visited Malaysia. Lyndon Johnson, way back in the Sixties. Because of him Felda LBJ got its name.

Wow,what an interesting fact! May i know where's Felda LBJ is located?

last year when pres bush came to uae for a visit...the airport area was closed to all...no unauthorised cars allowed anywhere near the airport & i was stuck in the training academy building for a few hours during the VVIP movements as no one is allowed to be outside the buildings surrounding the airport...but this is the middle east...maybe things are different elsewhere...

the good part was... a few days before his arrival...faridz & myself went spotting & we managed to catch a surprise traffic in the form of a USAF C17 Globemaster :yahoo:

that plane is a beauty!!