MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M. Sofian H.

Anybody will attend the ceremony the receiving first ATR for FireFly?

The topic is well specified but since someone brought in the Maswings issue either consiously or otherwise, it's all mix up.

Gavin, is my fault. :sorry:

UNCONFIRMED source that aircraft arriving at 3pm tomorrow, at hangar, and wont be at Terminal 3. I just saja-saja ask, and that's the answer i get.

I called firefly booking office, the lady mentioned to me that they will have the acceptance celebration between 1600-1900 at terminal 3 subang.

She also said that the plane may arrive around 1700.

That's all folks. I will be at Subang 1400 onwards.

Wah, during honeymoon can go spotting also eh?

Either wife dah pergi kerja or mungkin sudah applied a week ago & dapat VISA :rofl: :rofl:

Thank god for the grey interior...it looks classy and modern...I dont thnink we can take it if it was ORANGE...ala MAS...hahaha...good luck guys...all the best cant wait for the 1st TR on FY's 1st ATR!

Check SZB Movement for MalaysianWings Coverage

of the arrival of this ATR for FY;

Wow! thanks Sifu Norman..

Firefly To Offer Attractive Packages With New ATR72-500 Turboprop Aircraft

PETALING JAYA, Aug 11 (Bernama) -- Firefly, Malaysia's community airline will be able to offer more affordable travel packages and expand their routes to cover selected destinations in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand with five new turbo-propeller aircraft, ATR72-500 (ATR) by the end of this year.

Firefly managing director, Eddy Leong, said with the new aircraft they will be able to reduce their operating cost by almost 20 percent and increase revenue significantly with the availability of 50 percent more seats.

"Our operating cost will be lower, for example to fly from Subang to Pulau Pinang ATR uses same amount of fuel as Fokker-50 (but) with 22 more passengers. The aircraft (ATR) is bigger with 72 seats compared to Fokker with 50 seats.

"Some of the new destinations are to Banda Acheh and Medan from Penang, and to Pekanbaru, Johor Baharu and Koh Samui from Subang, using the new aircraft beginning this October," he told reporters after a ceremony here Monday to take delivery of the new aircraft.

Leong said since its launch in April last year, Firefly has been operating with three Fokker-50 turbo-propeller aircraft flying to nine destinations out of Penang and Subang.

"From October 26 we will be introducing two new flights from Subang to Medan and Haadyai. And at the end of 2009 we would be operating with a total of 10 ATR72-500, launching more routes to cater for not only the increase in demand but also offer new services.

"The ATR is to replace Fokker-50 that we have today. With the new ATR72-500 we will retire one of the Fokker-50, and when another ATR comes it will take over another Fokker and so on," he said.

Leong said Firefly was expected to break-even by this financial year.

"Let's not speculate on the numbers (profit target) yet, let us achieve the numbers first. We will disclose it in due time. But I think the critical mass is next year, by the time we finish taking delivery of five aircrafts in December this year and we will disclose the numbers when the time is right," he said.

He said Firefly will soon be introducing in-flight refreshment as part of its continuous effort to improve products and services.

"We will still continue with our in-flight sales of food and beverages with an improved menu of hearty meals," he said.

When asked if there was any plan to fly to Singapore, Leong said they were waiting for guidance from the Ministry of Transport as it was a government to government arrangement.

-- BERNAMA

I dont think so FY will use immediately this brand new ATR72-500 for revenue flight..As usual i believe they will make some aircraft familiarization for deck and cabin crew..It really nice ATR..

But personally, I the MASwings livery on ATR still the best..

Congratulation Firefly on your new plane.

I hope Firefly will expand to make IPH, KBR and JHB as their new mini-hub. I see potential in Batu Berendam, Malacca too as a possible destination (PEN-Malacca???)

However, the seats reminds me of AK. Wish it could be in other colour, lighter colour possibly.

I was in MASWings SBU-BKI Fokker 50 yesterday, fathoming the fact that it will too be replaced soon... :sorry:

Edited by Fitri Shukri

From the Malaysian Aviation Thread in A.Net. Airpearl has some very exclusive photographs on the event posted there (Reply #207) and also shared in his Facebook profile. For once, MalaysianWings coverage pale in comparison to his (the SZB thread in Observation Hill Subforum inclusive). Many thanks to Airpearl.

Firefly receives its first ATR72-500

Firefly's first (of 10) ATR72-500s landed today at Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, Subang near Kuala Lumpur. 9M-FYA left Toulouse on August 8 and made en route stops at Paphos, Muscat and Chennai. The prop arrived at its new home at 1715 local (0915 GMT) to be greeted at Hanger 4, MAS Complex A by Malaysia's minister of transport Ong Tee Keat, parent company Malaysia Airlines managing director Idris Jala and company MD Eddie Leong, among others. Firefly will receive 5 ATR72s this year and another five in 2009. The first three new ATRs will replace the existing three Fokker 50s on a one-for-one basis, the remaining acquisitions are new capacity for growth. MD Eddie Leong says the first route flown by the type will be Subang-Kota Bharu followed by Kota Bahru-Penang.

Here are some pics from the ceremony.

Arrival from Toulouse

ADSC_0111.jpg

ADSC_0116.jpg

ADSC_0117.jpg

The media crews

ADSC_0119.jpg

The pilots disembark after the long journey

ADSC_0133.jpg

ADSC_0136.jpg

The obligatory VIP pose

ADSC_0153.jpg

The VIP walkaround

ADSC_0155.jpg

Interior

ADSC_0164.jpg

Leather seats, rather AirAsia-like

ADSC_0165.jpg

ADSC_0168.jpg

ADSC_0169.jpg

I think the new seats look great. Definitely 1,000% better than the current new smarties seats onboard the B734s. This grey leather seat should be used on MH's new fleet of B738s.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Emm it is true that this baby ATR72 can make non-stop flight from Chennai base on what a.net member say??

If it true..it something really amazing non-stop flight performance..that will make AirAsia start to use this plane to fly to Chennai as thier A320 dont have ETPOS..heheheh..if i dont mistaken..

Sign in to follow this