MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

TG and the new BKK airport - about as smooth as sandpaper!

This is a prelude to my trip report... but before settling down to write the actual trippie, I need a rant to calm me down.

Murphy's Law certainly hit me for MEL-BKK TG982 and my first visit to the new BKK Suvarnabhumi yesterday:

- TG wasn't able to issue the BP for my onward flight on LH to FRA...so much for seamless *A travel. :angry:

- The infamous, all-powerful TG a/c swapping Gods turned my 772ER into a 773 with ancient, non-lie flat C seats!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: (ok we need an even angrier looking smiley!!!)

- Cabin crew only served when they have to - distinctly absent apart from meal services and drink runs. Zero response to crew call button. And when I went up to the galley to get drinks, it was like they're doing me a favour. :angry:

- Cabin temperature was uncomfortably warm. :angry:

- Some very loud pax 2 rows behind me. (no not the fault of TG but I'm just going to rant anyway :angry:)

- We had to disembark from a bus gate despite a helluva empty aerobridges around. :angry:

- Why oh why do I have to enter the terminal in the middle, sprint 10 mins to the eastern end of the terminal for the LH transfer desk, and then run 20 mins to the western (ie OTHER) end of the terminal for my LH gate??!! Who's the genius who decided that it was a great idea to have the LH transfer desk and boarding gate at OPPOSITE ends of the terminal??! :angry: And you'd think all transfer desks for international flights would be at the international concourses, but no - Suvarnabhumi logic dictates that they must make pax's lives a living hell by randomly placing certain airlines' transfer desks at the domestic end of the terminal! :angry:

- Uncomfortably warm terminal building. :angry:

- What's with the bare concrete decor? I think there's a distinction between minimalist chic and puke-inducing, warehouse style gore. Or is 'decor' simply an euphemism for a half-arsed, unfinished effort at a new airport?

- Boarding gate clearly was not well designed. Insufficient seats. Was like a dog's breakfast with a 744-load of pax trying to squeeze themselves into any available nook and cranny. :angry:

- Boarding was a mess - 2 tiny gates meant a bottleneck ensued. No priority boarding for F, C or elite pax. :angry:

I'm sticking to SQ and Changi from now...

Thankfully the LH F flight was excellent.... Sitting in the LH FCL now, using it as an arrivals lounge while waiting for my AA flight to ORD, hopefully that's not cancelled as a result of the snowstorm.

*takes a deep breath*

Edited by Keith T

Like you said, stick with SIA because they offer very outstanding services :pardon: :rofl: ;) B)

Like you said, stick with SIA because they offer very outstanding services :pardon: :rofl: ;) B)

LH F is also very good (their C is not so good, but F is very nice). But unfortunately they don't fly to Australia and haul their Oz pax up to BKK on TG. Have to pay a lot more if you change the TG legs to SQ, in which case you're better off doing a RTW or SQ all the way.

Edited by Keith T

man..after reading this i wonder how people could have voted for Thai Airways as one of the best..

man..after reading this i wonder how people could have voted for Thai Airways as one of the best..

To be fair, their new seats were very nice - tried them on the 744 service between BKK and HKT. Service on those short hauls I flew were great. Unfortunately they're let down by inconsistencies - a/c swap and hit-or-miss crews.

2 out of 3 SQ MEL flights are operated by a/c with the same old-ish seats, but at least you know what to expect with SQ.

Edited by Keith T

Oh-uh...I'm going to Bangkok at 18th this month as well... Hope they could improve a bit by then...

It should be fairly straightforward if you're not doing a connection, or have an onward BP already. They didn't have adequate signage to indicate where the relevant transfer desks are.

Your only potential gripe would be getting a bus gate - it seems to be happening fairly frequently. In fact a frequent TG flyer I know has not had a chance to disembark from a proper gate yet since the airport opened. Then other minor things like the very messy boarding and warm terminal temperature (didn't anyone tell them that the airport would be situated in a tropical SE Asian city when they were thinking of using glass for almost the ENTIRE terminal?!).

OT - in FRA now, at the First Class Lounge in concourse A. Had to officially enter Germany but it's worth it since this is much nicer than the FCL in B. The immigration officer laughed when I told him that I'm entering the EU just for the lounge. :D Sitting in a lounge chair now, sipping red wine and watching millions of those big birdies passing by. :good: Lots of LH and UA planes here. Going to shower soon and heading over to concourse C; not looking forward to AA. :(

Edited by Keith T

Keith : I fully agree with you about the need for a truly furious-looking smiley.

Regards Suvarnabhumi Airport, it certainly has more rough edges than smooth curves . . . I passed through this airport when it was about 3 weeks old . . . and already:

- the snow-white terrazo flooring next to the "Churning the Ocean of Milk" display leading to the C-gates were stained brown in many places. These are not tiny dots but huge swirls of brown - obviously someone cleaned it with the wrong cleaning liquid.

- beyond the white terrazo, the floor is finished just like the cheap flooring in Siam Centre, a downtown shopping mall that has seen better days. Consequently, these sections of floors have already turned grey. Sections of terrazo are still not fully linked where a gap has been left for electrical wirings. Your trolleys will help you keep a nice rythm as you sprint to the gates.

- after immigration clearance, you will walk through a section that is gently sloping. Go to the sides where you could peer down three floors to the arrival level . . . you will see that some areas (where it is thought no one could see from the arrival level) are full of dirt and rubbish.

- from 1100hrs to 1500hrs (at least this was as late as I could stay before running to meet TK and thereafter sprint to the gates), the terminal is a minor oven. The check-in agent who handle my ticket was sitting directly beneath a shaft of sunlight and perspiring like a potato in an oven. He was resigned to it . . . too frustrated beyond complaining. The glass roof is working against any attempt to make this airport a pleasant facility. I was not the only person fanning myself furiously (even as I stayed in the shadows) - many airline and retail staff were doing the same and many resorted to standing next to the aircon outlet (illogically, these were standing at ground level and consequently, the cold air cascade a metre to the ground and perhaps only could cool enough air for the ants and bacteria on the floor).

- looking up to admire the glass roof, I realised that there is already a tonne of dirt (and with the sunlight streaming in, it was easy to admire the dirt). The curvy roof made any attempt to clean it from the outside a huge exercise - consequently, cleaning it is an undertaking that will be infrequently implemented.

- Murphy's Law will ensure that your gate will ultimately be at the end of the C- or E- piers . . . and from immigration, it is at least a 20-minute brisk walk.

- Airlines made up for the lack of directional signages by putting up their own - each with a staff member in attendance. Result: visual clutter!

- Toilets: few and far between . . . and often located in unthinkable obscure corners . . . don't be surprised if you find staff members sprawled on the floor at the entrance - resting or looking like they are doing paperwork. My advice: Turn up your early warning and plan on spending some time looking for a toilet.

- I don't remember seeing information counters . . . don't plan on asking staff members (they are as clueless as you are about where everything is).

- Prices of merchandise, food and drinks: High . . . to the point of being ridiculous.

- Aircraft photography through the glass is impossible. Firstly, you cannot get near enough to the glass and seocndly, the glass is plastered with a layer of black dots to cut out the light.

- Plan on going to the gates only when boarding has commenced . . . waiting in the gate is somewhere between imprisonment and getting caught in a jam at Chatuchak Market. Boarding procedures is curiously flawed - the staff take away a portion of your boarding pass only when actual boarding commences - as a result, they will not know how many passengers have come into the gate until you are actually on the way down the aerobridge going to the aircraft.

With all these, Keith, count yourself lucky you deplaned at a remote stand and enjoyed the ramp tour enroute to the terminal building. It sure beats the glass cave they call the terminal building. Raw cement finish seems to indicate a rush towards opening . . . however wait for them to finish those surface in due course. By then, the raw cement finish will be replaced by an even darker grey finish!!! Just check out the few pillars and walls that have been finshed (enroute from the arrival gate to the baggage carousel).

In essence, my take on Suvarnabhumi Airport (with a H U G E dose of diplomacy) is: It is nice from far, and far from nice. Plan on spending as little time in this building as possible. I am personally beginning to miss Don Muang Airport!!!

KC Sim

With all these, Keith, count yourself lucky you deplaned at a remote stand and enjoyed the ramp tour enroute to the terminal building. It sure beats the glass cave they call the terminal building.

Thankfully it was a night flight so the heat wasnt that bad. I was perspiring nonetheless as I only had 60 mins (75 mins on paper but shortened by the bus gate) to make the connection, with 30 mins spent trying to find the correct transfer desk.

The 'glass cave' must be why they try to deplane as many people using bus gates as possible? :rofl:

- Murphy's Law will ensure that your gate will ultimately be at the end of the C- or E- piers . . . and from immigration, it is at least a 20-minute brisk walk.

In my case I left at gate E2. But the LH transfer desk was at the other end of the terminal, negating the benefits of a gate that's close to immigration or the lounges.

I have a long connection at BKK on the way home...*shudders*

OT - in FRA now, at the First Class Lounge in concourse A. Had to officially enter Germany but it's worth it since this is much nicer than the FCL in B. The immigration officer laughed when I told him that I'm entering the EU just for the lounge. :D Sitting in a lounge chair now, sipping red wine and watching millions of those big birdies passing by. :good: Lots of LH and UA planes here. Going to shower soon and heading over to concourse C; not looking forward to AA. :(

Can we expect a nice trip-report with pictures from you ? ;)

Would, especially, be interested in the F-Class of Lufty B)

Yes, pictures please!!!

I have seen those pics of LH on F, looks really comfy!

Keith, while on the topic of LH, may I ask your opinion. I was just going to post another topic at SQTalk, but might as well just ask you here. Compared to SQ's Raffles...I mean Business *rolleyes* class, how does LH one compare? Am thinking of upgrading CDG-FRA-SIN to Business, instead of my LHR-SIN-KUL leg on SQ in Feb (before that damned new rules kick in)

It is nice from far, and far from nice.

Have yet to see it from ground level, but will have the chance twice this month.

IPB Image

But I've seen it from the air.

Maybe they want to save energy (fuel), thats why the cabin tempreture is warm. :huh:

Another reason might be Thai people prefer warmer environment, thats why their new airport is being built with natural solor heating energy too! :rofl:

Thai Airways is actually a very good airline and i found them to be better than MH (TG's flights to/from BKK are good examples :) Try both TG & MH when you fly to BKK from KUL and you'll notice a big difference). But just like MH, the carrier is very inconsistent. I guess Keith had a very bad luck that day :D

Oh-uh...I'm going to Bangkok at 18th this month as well... Hope they could improve a bit by then...

No worries. I assume you are flying out from KUL. TG is very good there :p You won't regret picking them over MH. Besides, it's good to try out other carriers so that you can compare their services :)

Edited by Isaac

To be fair, their new seats were very nice - tried them on the 744 service between BKK and HKT. Service on those short hauls I flew were great. Unfortunately they're let down by inconsistencies - a/c swap and hit-or-miss crews.

2 out of 3 SQ MEL flights are operated by a/c with the same old-ish seats, but at least you know what to expect with SQ.

Thai Airways is actually a very good airline and i found them to be better than MH (TG's flights to/from BKK are good examples :) Try both TG & MH when you fly to BKK from KUL and you'll notice a big difference). But just like MH, the carrier is very inconsistent. I guess Keith had a very bad luck that day :D

No worries. I assume you are flying out from KUL. TG is very good there :p You won't regret picking them over MH. Besides, it's good to try out other carriers so that you can compare their services :)

Ooopsy, Sorry guys, I was actually meaning like the Cabin Crew and Food etc.Thai is a great airline,It's just thier Crew and Food and the lack of service at times is wht that lets them down.

Isaac, I Agree with you there.Sometime in the future I give all the Asian Carriers a Try..

Keith! Interesting report mate!

Well, KLIA can count it's lucky stars I suppose! :D I would like to go to BKK again even if it's just once to look around quickly :D

Anyway, look fwd to more from your journey!

- Sandeep

Keith, while on the topic of LH, may I ask your opinion. I was just going to post another topic at SQTalk, but might as well just ask you here. Compared to SQ's Raffles...I mean Business *rolleyes* class, how does LH one compare? Am thinking of upgrading CDG-FRA-SIN to Business, instead of my LHR-SIN-KUL leg on SQ in Feb (before that damned new rules kick in)

LH F is obviously superior to SQ C.

LH C is inferior to SQ C, even with the new seats vs Spacebeds (and obviously it can't compare to the SQ 77W but I think you'd have to pay 2x the amount of miles from Feb ?:blink:).

And remember that it could be more expensive to do intra *A upgrade than upgrade on SQ using KF miles.

Can we expect a nice trip-report with pictures from you ? ;)

Would, especially, be interested in the F-Class of Lufty B)

Trippie will be typed up when I get home. (end of Dec)

Lots of pictures taken, don't worry. :good:

I'm very excited about the LH First Class Terminal at FRA which I'll get to experience on the way home.

To top it all off with a big, bright red cherry: My bag was left behind in Suvarna-f*cken-bhumi!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

AA just called to inform me that the bag was left behind in BKK (ie did not make it on to my connecting flight on LH773), but has been sent on LH783 to FRA and AA83 to ORD, and will be here in Chicago by tonight. It remains to be seen whether it'd make it to my hotel by tonight or tomorrow morning. Am sufficiently warm now as I just splurged on stuff in Abercrombie.:)

Oh and just as TG pissed me off with an ancient 773 - AA pleasantly surprised me with a 763 with brand new (angle) flat seats and decent inflight service (bar one *insert expletive describing female canine*). :good: No PTVs though, but a significant improvement from their old C product. But then only 2 or 3 of their planes have these seats.

Kudos also to the AAngel at ORD who was most helpful in ensuring I stayed in the terminal as much as possible so I can stay warm; she went beyond her call of duty to run around the terminal to organise the requisite transport to get me into downtown. I thanked her very profusely; "Don't worry about it - I just treat people like how I want to be treated." :good:

Conclusion: VERY UNHAPPY with TG and Suvarnabhumi. :angry: But the great inflight service on LH, and the AAngel at ORD cheered me up somewhat.

OT - Check out the W Chicago Lakeshore hotel when visiting Chi-town; very cool and funky hotel. Lots of eye candy too. :good: B) The lobby is more like a nightclub with cool dance music than normal, boring hotel lobbies. Pics of hotels will be included in the trippie. Alas, I'm staying at 'boring' Sheratons at the other places, as well as the 'budget' in NYC. :(

Edited by Keith T

Did they locate your bag??

Mine is still missing between PER, SIN and KUL for more than a week now.... I'm starting to think I will never see it again....

AA just called to inform me that the bag was left behind in BKK (ie did not make it on to my connecting flight on LH773), but has been sent on LH783 to FRA and AA83 to ORD, and will be here in Chicago by tonight. It remains to be seen whether it'd make it to my hotel by tonight or tomorrow morning. Am sufficiently warm now as I just splurged on stuff in Abercrombie.:)

Same happened to me, bag also stranded at FRA last summer(iirc), but they handled professionally, sent the bag to house with a mini van :good:

Oh and just as TG pissed me off with an ancient 773 - AA pleasantly surprised me with a 763 with brand new (angle) flat seats and decent inflight service (bar one *insert expletive describing female canine*). :good: No PTVs though, but a significant improvement from their old C product. But then only 2 or 3 of their planes have these seats.

Surprise, haven't hard anything good from AA since ???? :pardon:

I assumed they have DVD player on board?

Conclusion: VERY UNHAPPY with TG and Suvarnabhumi. :angry: But the great inflight service on LH, and the AAngel at ORD cheered me up somewhat.

Never use this airport, but already read negative comments. As said " nice from far, but far from nice", still I can't wait to use this airport this coming summer! Of course expect some improvement, but I really doubt so!!!

Did they locate your bag??

Latest status update indicates that it was sent to ORD on a flight that was scheduled to land last night. But ORD is overwhelmed atm due to snow storms earlier in the week and AA has sent a message to them asking for status updates asap. Hopefully it'd be delivered by Tuesday night as I'm leaving for Philadelphia on Wednesday arvo. The agent I spoke to last night said it'd be delivered to my hotel by Monday but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this