MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley Lee

MH Upgrade

i just received an email from MH regarding an opportunity to upgrade to the next class through a scheme I've never heard of called "MH Upgrade". It seems to be a bidding system similar to how other airlines Like Etihad have been doing it.

I received the same email too this morning. My cousin who booked his flights separately however, did not receive the offer.

I think RJ also have something similar. They call it GoCrown upgrade program.

Edited by Waiping

I received such offer from EK too on one of my flights from JED to KUL back in February 2010. And it is for one way only. I suppose the selection is done based on load and in a raffle style.

Anyway, better late than never MH.

I emailed them asking about miles accrual if upgraded. Apparently, if upgraded, your ticket gets booked into a non-accrual class. Waiting for reconfirmation regarding this, because if true, it's not going to be as appealing.

I emailed them asking about miles accrual if upgraded. Apparently, if upgraded, your ticket gets booked into a non-accrual class. Waiting for reconfirmation regarding this, because if true, it's not going to be as appealing.

If my memory serves me correctly, that is how it worked with Optiontown.

The T&C on my email says that miles are not accruable which like Ashley says is not attractive. The cheapest price offered to me from Y to I fare class which i assumes it books into was £640 for LHR-KUL. A quick call to the MAS call centre to ask to pay to upgrade to Z class (Business Promo) which accrues business class miles was £760. No brainer i took the later as it cost £120 more but i get the business class points.

Although the lady did have to get the supervisor to approve the upgrade to Z class as she told me saying that usually one cannot pay to upgrade to Z class as its an internet promo fare. She said usually we can only pay to upgrade to D fare class and above but as they are having a promotion they allowed it.

because if true, it's not going to be as appealing.

Eloquently understated. I'll be more direct :p if true it's a death sentence for this program as far as my participation is concerned :p

Virgin Australia uses the same upgrade bid programme. I've been offered upgrade from J to F from LHR to KUL. I've also had offers for promo Y tickets for future bookings to upgrade to J. I don't expect miles if upgraded. It's well worth it if you'd originally booked a cheap Y fare and get upgraded on an offer that's on the lower end of the bidding range.

I've also received this offer for upgrade. However, without any points accrual I'll give it a pass. KUL to SDK business class nothing to shout about.

I got the email invitation for bidding the upgrade as well for my flight to KUL next week from Sarawak though booked on O class fares...I guess as long as the Business Class got seats remained unsold, all economy class ticket holders would get an invitation to bid for it. I just log on the hyperlink to have a look about what's this program is all about only...

Edited by CH Teo

How much to bid? Is there like a minimum or maximum bid?

Depends on which flight/sector are you talking about. For BKI-KUL, the bid starts from RM150 up to RM450 per flight. For KUL-Australia, the minimum bid is RM650 up to RM2700 per flight.

How much to bid? Is there like a minimum or maximum bid?

For flights between Peninsular and East Malaysia, from what I see in the MHupgrade page; the system would give you RM 250 as "the minimum amount to success in the bid" and up to a maximum of RM 450. I think anyone can submit below RM 250, but probability of being approved is VERY LOW.

Got an offer from MH too for upgrade. I paid extra RM250 for BKI-KUL. I don't really put high hope of getting upgraded. So, even if not successful, MH will refund you. :)

Edited by Alif A. F.

Got an offer from MH too for upgrade. I paid extra RM250 for BKI-KUL. I don't really put high hope of getting upgraded. So, even if not successful, MH will refund you. :)

They actually don't charge you the full amount you're bidding. They just take out RM1 as initial authorisation.

Sign in to follow this