MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashmil Abd Ghani

MASkargo Looking At Narrow-body Planes

Qoute from New Stairts Times on Jluy 14 2008

By Rupinder Singh

Malaysia Airlines Cargo Sdn Bhd (MASkargo), the cargo arm of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is mulling over introduction narrow body freighters to its fleet to offset the high cost of jet fuel.

Managing Director Shahari Sulaiman said it is considering models such as B777Fs, B767Fs, A330Fs and A300-600Fs.

"We have not made a final decision yet, but if implemented, the narrow-body freighters will complement MASkargo's existing network," he told Business Times.

"We are now at the planning stage for studying the viability of introducing narrow-body freighters operations," he added.

Maskargo currently has a fleet of six wide-body aircraft, comprising four 747-200F wet-leased from Air Atlanta and two 747-400F dry leased from Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad.

MASkargo plans to replace the four B747-200F in the two-and-a-half years' times. The wet lease expires in 2010.

With jet fuel prices shattering records just about every week, MASkargo aims to continue with its cost-efficiency initiative, which include freighter network improvements via shorter flight paths to reduce flight time and in favour of more fuel efficient aircraft.

Since the end of February, MASkargo has diverted 70 per cent of its flights into Europe to Uzbekistan, which allowed the company to serve the same market at much reduced cost.

"The concept is,since the fuel price has increased so much in recent moths and is anticipated to remain at this level or even increase further,we fell that some stations that are served in our network could be served in a more cost-effective manner using twin engine operations instead of four engine operations," Shahari said.

777, 767, 330 considered narrow-body planes ? All the time I thought all of the plane mentioned above belong to wide-body category ?

I thought narrow bodies are the likes of B757/767, eventhough it's more of a medium body.

Regarding the term 'narrow body', probably it is another typo, the 'Airbus 747-600/Boeing A380' type of typo.

Anyway, if MASkargo is looking for a bunch of B777F and A333F, why don't they just take it from MH's fleet? MH has 17 B772s and 11 old A333s, which is suitable to be converted into freighters.

I am so sure PMB can give 'special discount' to MASkargo. What left to be done is the conversion works.

MH can then proceed with their wide body fleet renewal program in full swing without having many doubts. I think it's a win win solution.

Anyway, if MASkargo is looking for a bunch of B777F and A333F, why don't they just take it from MH's fleet? MH has 17 B772s and 11 old A333s, which is suitable to be converted into freighters.

From what heard 777F and 330F are based on 777-200LR and 330-200 respectively. Certifying converted 777-200ERs and 330-300s freighters might be a lengthy and costly affair.

If Airbus would certify 333s as freighters that would make MH's A330s better home at MASKargo.

777, 767, 330 considered narrow-body planes ? All the time I thought all of the plane mentioned above belong to wide-body category ?

Haha, i agreed. They dont even know what they are telling.

FWIW, MAS have previously asked Air Atlanta to ops 777F's on their behalf, when their order was initially placed. Air Atlanta however already had contracts signed for them.

Emm guys..its not my mistake to put all aircraft category under narrow-body aircraft..i took it according what the reporter wrote on his news report.. :pardon: :pardon:

I know all the aircraft mention as wide-body aircraft.. But i don't think MAS will put MD11 as they best option..since most airliners will search fuel-efficient aircraft and MD11 is old workhouse..

Y WASTE MONEY ? Y not just "code share" with other carriers? After all no difference in service, cargoes do not need meal, no need to worry about meal service; unlike the pax. business.

IN this case, code share in cargo services is more practical rather than the pax., service.

Recieved an email regarding, and confirmed by postings elsewhere on the net. From Sept 1 through end of 2009 Air Atlanta Icelandic will be wet-leasing an A300-600F to MASkargo.

Awesome..thanks Liam..

Btw will there only be one A300 or will they be leasing more as the year goes by?

Wow, might see one of them in KCH someday to fill maskargo quota...since the A330/widebodies getting few KUL-KCH-KUL runs...

Thanks for the info..

Soon we will see A300 again in Malaysia..Cant wait see her flying around Malaysia again...hehehe..Any idea how much MASkargo lease the A300??I guess it maybe more than 1..

A300-600RF to MASkargo

As of 1st of September 2008, Air Atlanta Icelandic will be adding an Airbus A300-600RF to its current fleet of aircraft operating for MASkargo in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, but Air Atlanta Icelandic is currently operating four B747 aircraft on behalf of MASkargo, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines.

On inquiry, Baldvin M. Hermannsson, VP Sales and Marketing for Air Atlanta Icelandic, says that this new agreement shows the value that Air Atlanta Icelandic is bringing to MASkargo and that it underlines the excellent cooperation that exists between the two companies and its employees.

The Airbus will operate scheduled cargo flights out of Kuala Lumpur, but according to Hermannsson the A300-600RF contract is signed until the end of 2009. This agreement marks a new period in the business relationship between MASkargo and Air Atlanta Icelandic as the latter has only operated B747s for MASkargo since the commencement of the existing agreement in 2002.

Source: Air Altlanta

look like we will have new thing to catch at KLia guyz~!!! :yahoo:

777, 767, and 330 are narrow bodies when you compare them to Dreamlifter, Beluga, and A380F (if any) :rofl: :p

Anyway

If MASkargo does consider real Narrow body (Baby Bus or Baby Boeing) will it be viable for at least in Indian or Chinese market? or better off using MH Belly?

Edited by Jessnor Arif

Anyone notice that Ex 9M-MHI is now working back for MasKargo?

Operating for Air Atlanta with the rego of TF-AAB.

Please let me know if this has been reported else where?

Anyone notice that Ex 9M-MHI is now working back for MasKargo?

Operating for Air Atlanta with the rego of TF-AAB.

Please let me know if this has been reported else where?

Really..If it true, she will coming back and serve at her own home soil again..I like to see the 9M-MHI with MAS old livery colour..