MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Peter Smith

Countdown to AK's first A320

PEN is now double daily, effective 20th Feb with AFD entrance into service the same day as AK5102 to BKI.

The 2nd service is:

AK6316/AK6317. I was on the first, which was opb AFC

Liam,

My flight yesterday AK 5113 on AFC was heading to PEN after reaching KUL.

:lol:

But the BA A320 that I travelled on after meeting you in AMS was superb. It was very comfy and elegant!!!!!

Weren't you flying the A319 at the time ? you still recall the registration (for verification) ?

My inaugural flight on Air Asia AK 6315 PEN-KUL on 9M-AFD was most pleasant and will not hesitate to fly AK again. I think the fare is value for money, and the savings can be used for better accomodation and transportation costs like taxi at holiday destinations.

Crew were friendly, takeoff right on time at 1455, and arrived one minute earlier than scheduled. And check-in staff also waived excess baggage charge for the extra kilo over the 15kg limit. A small gesture, but goes a long way in attracting customer loyalty.

I just returned from a flight to BKI and back. Both sectors were on an A320, to my surprise !!!!!

It was awesome !!!!!

I left KUL to BKI on 24/2 on AFD and returned today on AFC (Manchester United).

What a pleasant surprise.

Plane is ordinary like any other but looked more high tech than AK's other aircrafts.

:p

hi Kandiah, i do spot u from my hse... use full zoom.... but unfortunately not enough time to focus, so blur red devil... haha.... :lol:

Weren't you flying the A319 at the time ? you still recall the registration (for verification) ?

Yes I did fly the A319 from LHR-AMS but A320 on the AMS-LHR sector.

hi Kandiah, i do spot u from my hse... use full zoom.... but unfortunately not enough time to focus, so blur red devil... haha.... :lol:

Oh what a miss.....it was cloudy up there when we took off !!!

:huh:

Yes I did fly the A319 from LHR-AMS but A320 on the AMS-LHR sector.

Lucky you, Kandiah, for the 320's are very rare here at AMS :mellow:

Scheduled BA aircraft types for AMS are 319's on the LHR run and 737's on the LGW run...that's it: no more MAN/BHX and GLA/EDI flights (ex BCAL) anymore...pushed out of the market by KLM and the LCC :o

So AK5102 and the return service is operated now by a320? Is Kota Bahru ops by A320 now AFD is in service?

Airasia's website keeps a list of all their routes currently served by the A320s, I think they're pretty up to date. At the moment these new baby buses are flying daily to BKI (4x), KCH (3x), PEN (3x), LGW (1x), MYY(1x), SDK(1x) and SUB (1x).... but no Kota Bharu so far...Worth checking before booking the flight , they must a lot more pleasant than the old 737s :)

Airasia's website keeps a list of all their routes currently served by the A320s, I think they're pretty up to date. At the moment these new baby buses are flying daily to BKI (4x), KCH (3x), PEN (3x), LGW (1x), MYY(1x), SDK(1x) and SUB (1x).... but no Kota Bharu so far...Worth checking before booking the flight , they must a lot more pleasant than the old 737s :)

I wonder where is the list placed at the website coz I didn't see it anywhere.

DOes anyone know why BKI airport does not allow people to take photos of the aircraft in and outside the terminal building ? I got told off that day when I tried to take a pic.....!!!!!

:angry:

DOes anyone know why BKI airport does not allow people to take photos of the aircraft in and outside the terminal building ? I got told off that day when I tried to take a pic.....!!!!!

Is BKI can be a security thread at all :p :D :lol: ;)

Off-topic a bit...I was taking still pictures and video shooting like nobody's business last year when I was there. However nobody told me off. I shot from the flyover just before departure hall, from an aircond restaurant up in the terminal...which faces the runway, and departure gate. In LGK almost always there will be people taking pictures after landing, right in front of the plane on the tarmac. The ground staff there must be very understanding folks.

Edited by Rozhan

That's weird. So far I haven't encounter that before. The day you left BKI on AK I even use flash to shot BKI terminal and the planes. So far no guards told me off or even confiscated my cam away. Although I'm quite afraid that happens coz the point and shoot is not even mine. :p

I guess "Spot at your own risk" applys.

Edited by Adrian M

Kandiah,

I'm well ahead of you - was 'larang' even last year !! Tried to snap AK's spanking new -AFA before boarding and this guy made it quite clear, no shots ! :rolleyes:

Rozhan,

You must have been at T1 - no restrictions there I believe. The kawasan larangan is AK's T2 at BKI (budget terminal)

BC, remember that there used to be a spacious viewing gallery upstairs of BKI old terminal (currently Terminal 2)?? I remember seeing my beloved Airbus A300 and DC-10s from the top and I was quite excited as a kid.

I think it has became a waiting lounge hasn't it?

Yes SV, with the wide stairs leading up to it from the departure hall seating area (also a cafe / bar there as well I recall) I dunno if you're old enough, but there used to be a decorative pond at bottom of the stairs at first, complete with gold fishes / carp (too young to tell the difference then !) The viewing gallery was certainly much airier and brighter than the dingy lounge downstairs.

Sorry however, need to shatter your childhood reminiscence (actually our childhood reminiscence !) - as far as I know, the place has been demolished ! T2 was left abandoned for quite some years after everything moved to T1, neglect crept in and if I remember correctly, there was even a fire. It's only within the last what, 4-5 years the place was refurbished and new roof put in etc. Sadly, not much at the place now that one can identify from days past.

Edited by Bing Chu

Rozhan,

You must have been at T1 - no restrictions there I believe. The kawasan larangan is AK's T2 at BKI (budget terminal)

Yes Bing Chu, I was at T1. I even zoomed into MH's Fokker hangar through the trees. Anyway, is it because there are some sensitive military equipment at T2 such that photography was disallowed? I hope it is not AK's restriction. I actually shot video non-stop from the waiting lounge where the FA was checking the boarding pass, right through the tarmac and into the rear door of 9M-AFD at Penang last week. Nobody said anything...or is it because I looked like an excited tourist.

I'm really surprised to read this: I never ever had any problems at BKI, be it either at T1 or T2 or along Jln Selangor....or is it, because I'm orang putih ?

I'm really surprised to read this: I never ever had any problems at BKI, be it either at T1 or T2 or along Jln Selangor....or is it, because I'm orang putih ?

LOL Pieter, if you are white then what does that make me?? :p At least I went spotting and nothing happens. Thank gawd.

..... along Jln Selangor....or is it, because I'm orang putih ?

I guess if you keep staying at Jln Selangor long enough, you won't be 'putih' for long - more like 'merah' soon, and in time to come will become known as Ashburn (local version - Abu Bakar) !! :lol:

Hi all,

anyone out there got photos of AK baby bus at Sandakan? heard that it started less than 2 weeks ago according to a local press.....

cheers,

CK